Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do true miracles of God happen today?

Do true miracles of God happen today?

We were reading the following in a Bible study and it sparked a discussion:

Acts 2:16-18King James Version (KJV)

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
    17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

If the Holy Spirit is being poured out, then why are our sons/daughters etc.. not giving prophecy, and able to dream dreams and visions to have true unveiling of the last days.

So we then came across the following which then led to the question, do true miracles happen today:

Acts 5:12-16King James Version (KJV)
    12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
    13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
    14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
    15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
    16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

....if so, why are we not seeing these open miracles?

Re: Do true miracles of God happen today?

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

If the Holy Spirit is being poured out, then why are our sons/daughters etc.. not giving prophecy, and able to dream dreams and visions to have true unveiling of the last days.

So we then came across the following which then led to the question, do true miracles happen today:

12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
    13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
    14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
    15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
    16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

There are two indicators in this matter.
    1. The first is that the history of the Bible shows that whenever God started a new thing, it was accompanied by much supernatural activity. But once the things was established, the signs and wonders abated. (1) When God set out to free Israel, Egypt was beset with supernatural events. Then, in the Wilderness, miracle after miracle occurred. The, as Israel gained the good Land by conquest, there was miracle after miracle. But years later, there were only few. (2) When Jesus came He was accompanied by literally hundreds of miracles, but by the time of His death they were few. (3) When the Holy Spirit was given, there were hundreds of miracles, but by the ned of Paul's life Timothy must drink normal wine for his stomach problems.
    2. The signs and miracles are only promised to FOLLOW the Christian. Mark 16:17-18 says that, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." They will not go BEFORE the Christian, meaning that they would be an occasional event. This is in accordance with the New Testament in which we are to BELIEVE and not see "signs".

Prophets in the New Testament do not mainly predict the future. That has bee written in God's WRITTEN WORD. "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort" (1st Corinthians 14:3). Modern Pentecostals seem to have turned this simple verse into something that it is not. God made soothsaying a capital offense under the Law. We are not to seek knowledge of the future of our daily lives. We are to live by FAITH - faith that everything that happens to us is either ordained, or allowed by God for our benefit. We actually don't need any indication of the future as the true Christian walks, "... not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:1). That is, God dwells in our human spirit and leads from there. We are NOT to look to outward things to lead us.

Israel is a Nation that has been allowed "signs", but FAITH can walk through this life without them. It is an "evil and adulterous generation that seeks a sign"

But as to miracles and the Christian, when I look back on my life, both the time I was not born again, and the time as a Christian, I can see dozens of miracles. I can see God intervening in so many ways in my life to regulate and direct me, and not least, He has saved my life many times. These I see looking back - not forward. But what I perceive looking back gives me the faith to go forward without knowing what waits for me. I go by Gopd's track record, not prophets in the Church. I was in the Pentecostal movement for 4 years of my Christian life and I must sadly say that NOT ONE prophecy I heard - and they were many - EVER came to pass.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    1. The first is that the history of the Bible shows that whenever God started a new thing, it was accompanied by much supernatural activity. But once the things was established, the signs and wonders abated. (1) When God set out to free Israel, Egypt was beset with supernatural events. Then, in the Wilderness, miracle after miracle occurred. The, as Israel gained the good Land by conquest, there was miracle after miracle. But years later, there were only few. (2) When Jesus came He was accompanied by literally hundreds of miracles, but by the time of His death they were few. (3) When the Holy Spirit was given, there were hundreds of miracles, but by the ned of Paul's life Timothy must drink normal wine for his stomach problems.
    2. The signs and miracles are only promised to FOLLOW the Christian. Mark 16:17-18 says that, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." They will not go BEFORE the Christian meaning that they would be an occasional event. This is in accordance with the New Testament in which we are to BELIEVE and not see "signs".

Finally, prophets in the New Testament do not mainly predict the future. That has bee written in God's WRITTEN WORD. "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort" (1st Corinthians 14:3). Modern Pentecostals seem to have turned this simple verse into something that it is not. God made soothsaying a capital offense under the Law. We are not to seek knowledge of the future of our daily lives. We are to live by FAITH - faith that everything that happens to us is either ordained, or allowed by God for our benefit. We actually don't need any indication of the future as the true Christian walks, "... not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:1). That is, God dwells in our human spirit and leads from there. We are NOT to look to outward things to lead us.

Israel is a Nation that has been allowed "signs", but FAITH can walk through this life without them. It is an "evil and adulterous generation that seeks a sign"
    Another reasons is this... the Bible is a "consolidation" of God's supernatural move in the lives of people. Either directly (of Himself) or through obedient servants. Today, we don't have any consolidation of God's move into the lives of people. Some testimonies, some reports, but no "consolidation."

It's not that He moves less, if anything He moves MORE... but there is no consolidation of all the daily s/w/m He does or empowers to be done, today.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

But as to miracles and the Christian, when I look back on my life, both the time I was not born again, and the time as a Christian, I can see dozens of miracles. I can see God intervening in so many ways in my life to regulate and direct me, and not least, He has saved my life many times. These I see looking back - not forward. But what I perceive looking back gives me the faith to go forward without knowing what waits for me. I go by Gopd's track record, not prophets in the Church. I was in the Pentecostal movement for 4 years of my Christian life and I must sadly say that NOT ONE prophecy I heard - and they were many - EVER came to pass.
    I see that you made this edit since I had responded to your post.

AMEN! God is good. Imagine if we took ALL Christians and consolidated ALL the miracles done throughout the time of relationship with God? Daily, MORE would be revealed than what we have in the Bible. The Bible even teaches that NOT all works of God, are documented.

Imagine if those and SINCE then, all can be documented.

The assumption that God does LESS s/w/m these days, would be squashed and never addressed again.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post

When you talk about "we" you are not talking about me !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post

AMEN! God is good. Imagine if we took ALL Christians and consolidated ALL the miracles done throughout the time of relationship with God? Daily, MORE would be revealed than what we have in the Bible. The Bible even teaches that NOT all works of God, are documented.

The assumption that God does LESS s/w/m these days, would be squashed and never addressed again.
    Amen ! Praise God !

Blog Entries

I believe the main reason we don't see it is here:

You crave what you do not have. You kill and covet, but are unable to obtain it. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask. And when you do ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may squander it on your pleasures. (James 4:3)

The purpose of miracles and signs is not the novelty or glorifying ourselves. In fact all the gifts are given to build up each other in the body, and to advance the gospel - which are both headed by Christ. If you are just seeking to perform miracles, well, even Pharoah's magicians could do that. But how often have we devoted ourselves to prayer for other people rather than our own needs? Or how often have we stepped out in faith to help others even though we didn't "have the means" to do so? Perhaps the reason we don't see God working in our lives is because we try to do everything by ourselves for our own goals.

We don't rely on Him for anything, so He allows us to live in spiritual mediocrity - bearing little fruit besides "being nice" and reading the Bible sometimes.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I believe the main reason we don't see it is here:

You crave what you do not have. You kill and covet, but are unable to obtain it. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask. And when you do ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may squander it on your pleasures. (James 4:3)

The purpose of miracles and signs is not the novelty or glorifying ourselves. In fact all the gifts are given to build up each other in the body, and to advance the gospel - which are both headed by Christ. If you are just seeking to perform miracles, well, even Pharoah's magicians could do that. But how often have we devoted ourselves to prayer for other people rather than our own needs? Or how often have we stepped out in faith to help others even though we didn't "have the means" to do so? Perhaps the reason we don't see God working in our lives is because we try to do everything by ourselves for our own goals.

We don't rely on Him for anything, so He allows us to live in spiritual mediocrity - bearing little fruit besides "being nice" and reading the Bible sometimes.
    Amen ! Praise God !

Blog Entries

I'm teaching the book of Joel this Thursday night at our community Bible study.

Here's the problem with Joel 2:28-32. No one reads Joel 2:12-27.

Joel 2:28 says "And AFTERWARD...". OK. After what

• After Joel 2:12-17: This describes a GREAT mourning over personal and corporate sin. Literally the nation of Judah [and Israel] fasting, mourning, weeping, tearing their hearts [not their clothes], going through a national fasting, consecrating the entire assembly [not just the leadership], and the priest weeping and praying for the people.
    • After Joel 2:18-27: This describes what happens AFTER the great and corporate repentance. God heals the land. God makes them perfectly productive again. The people are rejoicing IN God. And the people KNOW that the LORD is their God.

THEN, the outpouring comes.

Joel 2:28-32 has been, for all intents and purposes, fulfilled already. I didn't make that up and it's not my opinion. God already said so through Peter in Acts 2 which you cited in the OP.

Acts 2:14-21 = But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel. 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy....." [and he goes on to quote the entire passage from Joel]

Peter and Paul both had visions. Cornelius had visions. The daughters of Philip prophesied. There were great signs and wonders during this time. People were repenting and coming to Christ by the literal hundreds of thousands - all across the known world - and wherever the Word was spread.

I don't see it happening today on that much of a scale - if at all. But then again, I'm a cynic

I don't see any nations, let alone churches or individual people, weeping and fasting over their sins. I don't see Christian leadership begging God to forgive the people.

Perhaps this will happen again. I believe it will. But now?

No. There are far too many Christians who spend Sunday morning singing "Oh, How I Love Jesus" in church and spend Sunday night watching Game of Thrones on HBO. and guess which one excites them more, is more meaningful to them, is what they crave and look forward to and discuss with friends and family during the week?

On Monday morning, I can guarantee you that they are not thinking about Sunday morning's sermon, but can recall with clarity every homosexual/heterosexual sex scene, every rape/incest scene, every scene with a nude woman, every grotesquely violent scene, and every use of the "f" word and "c" word. [No, I have not seen it, but have read several reviews both pro and con. Why? Because I have Christian friends by the dozens who never miss an episode.]

And that's just a minute drop in an ocean of the churches' problems.

No, our weeping and mourning has not occurred yet. And yet we think God is going to bless all of this.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Amen. We are certainly one in this matter.

Thanks for that post Jayne.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I'm teaching the book of Joel this Thursday night at our community Bible study.

Here's the problem with Joel 2:28-32. No one reads Joel 2:12-27.

Joel 2:28 says "And AFTERWARD...". OK. After what

• After Joel 2:12-17: This describes a GREAT mourning over personal and corporate sin. Literally the nation of Judah [and Israel] fasting, mourning, weeping, tearing their hearts [not their clothes], going through a national fasting, consecrating the entire assembly [not just the leadership], and the priest weeping and praying for the people.
    • After Joel 2:18-27: This describes what happens AFTER the great and corporate repentance. God heals the land. God makes them perfectly productive again. The people are rejoicing IN God. And the people KNOW that the LORD is their God.

THEN, the outpouring comes.

Joel 2:28-32 has been, for all intents and purposes, fulfilled already. I didn't make that up and it's not my opinion. God already said so through Peter in Acts 2 which you cited in the OP.

Acts 2:14-21 = But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel. 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy...….." [and he goes on to quote the entire passage from Joel]

Peter and Paul both had visions. Cornelius had visions. The daughters of Philip prophesied. There were great signs and wonders during this time. People were repenting and coming to Christ by the literal hundreds of thousands - all across the known world - and wherever the Word was spread.

I don't see it happening today on that much of a scale - if at all. But then again, I'm a cynic

I don't see any nations, let alone churches or individual people, weeping and fasting over their sins. I don't see Christian leadership begging God to forgive the people.

Perhaps this will happen again. I believe it will. But now?

No. There are far too many Christians who spend Sunday morning singing "Oh, How I Love Jesus" in church and spend Sunday night watching Game of Thrones on HBO. and guess which one excites them more, is more meaningful to them, is what they crave and look forward to and discuss with friends and family during the week?

On Monday morning, I can guarantee you that they are not thinking about Sunday morning's sermon, but can recall with clarity every homosexual/heterosexual sex scene, every rape/incest scene, every scene with a nude woman, every grotesquely violent scene, and every use of the "f" word and "c" word. [No, I have not seen it, but have read several reviews both pro and con. Why? Because I have Christian friends by the dozens who never miss an episode.]

And that's just a minute drop in an ocean of the churches' problems.

No, our weeping and mourning has not occurred yet. And yet we think God is going to bless all of this.
    Amen! Many Christians live a "check" the block life of what they believe a "Christian" is. I say in my posts and your's details... it's about a RELATIONSHIP with God and checking a block (Sunday church, saying a grace before a meal, saying God bless you to the clerk as the store...check...), IS NOT a relationship when one's worldliness has not changed.

But, I do know, God is faithful and will do work in even those lives (as we see through Paul's writings to the Corinthians). But again... imagine seeing how God works in AND THROUGH the lives of those who do put down worldliness as they draw in close to God and KNOW Him as He wants to be known

I would like to be able to attend your full Bible study!
    Slug1--out

2. The signs and miracles are only promised to FOLLOW the Christian. Mark 16:17-18 says that, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." They will not go BEFORE the Christian, meaning that they would be an occasional event. This is in accordance with the New Testament in which we are to BELIEVE and not see "signs".

Prophets in the New Testament do not mainly predict the future. That has bee written in God's WRITTEN WORD. "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort" (1st Corinthians 14:3). Modern Pentecostals seem to have turned this simple verse into something that it is not. God made soothsaying a capital offense under the Law. We are not to seek knowledge of the future of our daily lives. We are to live by FAITH - faith that everything that happens to us is either ordained, or allowed by God for our benefit. We actually don't need any indication of the future as the true Christian walks, "... not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Romans 8:1). That is, God dwells in our human spirit and leads from there. We are NOT to look to outward things to lead us.

Wow, what a tough indictment brought against my fellow-Pentecostals! And yet, this is probably somewhat deserved. I belong to a Pentecostal denomination, and have been in Pentecostal denominations since 1971. But I was raised a Lutheran, which in my view is largely dead now--there are, however, individual pastors and churches within the Lutheran denominations that are still alive.

So I have a kind of unique view on Pentecostal doctrine, and it is perhaps due to my outspokenness on it that I am somewhat marginalized by the churches I've been in. My belief is that it was a positive thing for Pentecostals to pursue belief in the Spiritual Gifts, since they are Scriptural. But when there came to be a *doctrine* that all Christians should exercise *all* spiritual gifts, problems set in.

Once there was the belief that all *should* be speaking in tongues, prophesying, and performing miracles, it was natural to promote these as normal, and to denigrate, directly or indirectly, a lack of these experiences. The problem is, if the doctrine is wrong, Pentecostals would be guilty of promoting false spiritual phenomena, which is proscribed in Scriptures!

So I appreciate your candid remarks. I continue to promote reform within the Pentecostal denomination that I am in. But I'm so far down the chain that I haven't yet presumed to address the leadership at the highest levels. I may very well do that, however, if I think it will serve any good purpose.

This is a good question. I suggest that there are major reasons God does not perform miracles. One, He does not "prove His own existence" to men who demand it of Him. He has no need to prove anything. He would never serve the creatures He has created. If He does miracles, or "unnatural activities," there is a good reason within the sphere of creatures who cooperate with His word.

God does not always perform miracles in His Church, however. The Church contains those who are not fully obedient to God's word. If they do not wish to believe God's specific commands, God will not honor them because He only honors His own word. If they are not part of that word, they will not be honored.

God does not always wish to perform a miracle. God could've delivered His Son from the cross, but He did not wish to. This doesn't mean "we fail to see miracles today." Rather, it means God does what He wants to do--not what men want Him to do.

Finally, there are very general statements made by Jesus about miracles--statements that are not meant to be exhaustive. When Jesus said, "Ask, and you will receive," he did not mean that anything you ask for you will get. He is rather, in implied context, indicating that people *need to ask sometimes,* and if they will ask on those occasions, they will always receive what they ask for.

It's like a father telling his son, "Son, if you will only ask me for a loan, I will give you the money. You don't have to sell drugs, or rob a bank!"

I'm in agreement with those who believe that sometimes miracles are done as a kind of "fan fare" to display a major change in the history of God's works. At Mt. Sinai there were geological and meteorological changes. At the coming out of Egypt there were 10 miraculous plagues. At the coming of Christ there were virtually miracles "on demand."

I don't think these things always happen, because they are special phenomena designed to point out a special history. The same might be said in the choice of a specific ministry as a "healer." God doesn't perform miracles like this apart from reference to a specific ministry that He has chosen, for whatever reason.

But there are some things we can rely upon God for, even if we aren't a "healer," or live in "special circumstances," a "revival," or whatever. We can always pray and expect that God, in hearing us, will respond in a benevolent, supernatural way. Sometimes that will constitute miracles.

Blog Entries

Amen! Many Christians live a "check" the block life of what they believe a "Christian" is. I say in my posts and your's details... it's about a RELATIONSHIP with God and checking a block (Sunday church, saying a grace before a meal, saying God bless you to the clerk as the store...check...), IS NOT a relationship when one's worldliness has not changed.
    True words.

But, I do know, God is faithful and will do work in even those lives (as we see through Paul's writings to the Corinthians). But again... imagine seeing how God works in AND THROUGH the lives of those who do put down worldliness as they draw in close to God and KNOW Him as He wants to be known
    I like this. ^^ Just think what would happen if just a handful of Christians in every single church rejected "worldiness" [we can't escape the world, itself] and started a move to holiness with the intent of affecting their church body.

I would like to be able to attend your full Bible study!
    I'll give a synopsis of it when it's over. I say after because I have some people who really study each week and they can also give some great insights.

I have about 12 - 15 people who come regularly each week. Another 4-5 come sporadically. One has been saved, one has been renewed, two who have never read the Bible have a wonderful personal study at home now, one man [who was already doing deacon work in his church] has been ordained and is working like a dog, and the Lord is still working on some others - including myself. It's powerful to see God work in people when the Bible is presented, discussed, prayed over, and treated like a treasure trove.

I tremble sometimes when I think of what God could do if we cleansed ourselves and walked in holiness with him as a lifestyle.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Thread Information