Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How could Adam be the only one upon the earth seen in Gen 2?

Blog Entries

How could Adam be the only one upon the earth seen in Gen 2?

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
    6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
    7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
    23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

A few thing to consider.

1. The creation week is finished yet there was no man on earth to till the ground?
    2. Adam is alone. There are not yet animals or a woman upon the earth.
    3. Look at the sequence appearing upon the earth CH 2; plants -> Male -> Animals -> then Female. First week appearence CH 1 was plants-> Animals -> Male/Female.
    4. Eve was from Adam.
    5. Why does Gen 5 speak of both male and female being called "Adam"? Was not the first female Eve?

This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
    Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

6. Also Seth is directly mentioned his likeness and image was from Adam....

And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

7. Also it states God was finished with his creation after 6 days so then how can newborns be a creation if God was finished long ago? Is God a liar and thus still creating daily?

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: How could Adam be the only one upon the earth seen in Gen 2?

ross, Genesis 2 is a more specific account of the sixth day. It gives us more detail of Adam and Eve. Genesis 1 is correct in its order and such.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    ross, Genesis 2 is a more specific account of the sixth day.
    But Gen 1 the animals are created before Adam but in Gen 2 he is alone, no animals on earth yet? The animals were created prior to the 6th day......

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
    6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
    7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
    23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

A few thing to consider.

1. The creation week is finished yet there was no man on earth to till the ground?
    2. Adam is alone. There are not yet animals or a woman upon the earth.
    3. Look at the sequence appearing upon the earth CH 2; plants -> Male -> Animals -> then Female. First week appearence CH 1 was plants-> Animals -> Male/Female.
    4. Eve was from Adam.
    5. Why does Gen 5 speak of both male and female being called "Adam"? Was not the first female Eve?

This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
    Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

6. Also Seth is directly mentioned his likeness and image was from Adam....

And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

7. Also it states God was finished with his creation after 6 days so then how can newborns be a creation if God was finished long ago? Is God a liar and thus still creating daily?

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Thoughts?
    To your five questions. I hope to answer them as one.

In Genesis Chapters 1 and 2 THREE Hebrew words are used for what happened. They are;
    1. "Bara" which means "create out of nothing". This word only occurs when God CREATED the heavens and the earth in Genesis 1:1 and it is used to when Good made man, beasts and the fish.
    2. "Asah" which means "to make out of existing materials" like a carpenter "makes" a table out of wood. It is the most used word in these two Chapters
    3. "Yatsar" which mean "formed" like a potter "forms" clay into a vessel.

When God made Adam, He "formed" Adam's body from clay, He "made" Adam's spirit from His own (already existing ) breath, and Adam's SOUL, which had never been in existence before, was "created". This can be seen by both Isaiah 43:7 and 45:18 which say severally;
    7 "Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him."
    18 "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else."

God created, formed an made man in His likeness and image. So, when God declared that it was not good for man to be alone, He set about finding him a "help meet" - a "companion up to the standard of" Adam. God first parades all the animals before Adam for him to take his pick. But though the animals were dear, cute, magnificent and possessed many of God's attributes, there was not one found to be "up to his standard". So God caused a deep sleep to come over Adam and took a part of Adam (existing material) and "made" Eve (Gen.2:22). But Eve's ORIGIN is IN Adam. The very moment Adam was on the scene, Eve was there too, not yet "formed" but she was COMPLETE in Adam. God took a bone of Adam's and nothing else was added to make Eve. So also our seed in procreation. That microscopic seed has EVERYTHING a man or woman will ever be. Only nourishment is added.

This same phenomena is shown in our relationship to Christ. Because Christ is our ORIGIN, we are complete IN Him. We are "raised with Him" (even though we still wait for the resurrection), we sit in the heavenlies IN Him even though we are on earth, and we are curcified with Him even though we yet live.

Genesis Chapter 1 records the whole creation in verse 1. What happens after that is a RESTORATION of the earth that BECAME (lit Heb) a chaos. It ends in the new governor - man, being made. Genesis Chapter 2 records the formation of a partner "up to his standard" BUT WHICH WAS IN HIM ALL THE TIME. Genesis Chapter 2 is heavily connected to Ephesians Chapter 5 - for Adam and Eve are PICTURES of a greater union - the Church and Christ. Ephesians 5:29-32 says;

29 "For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
    30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
    32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church."

Blog Entries

But Gen 1 the animals are created before Adam but in Gen 2 he is alone, no animals on earth yet? The animals were created prior to the 6th day......
    I see what you are saying.

When I read Genesis 2, I see all the parts of creation in how they relate to Adam. The plants, the animals, the Garden of Eden.....

To me, and some may disagree, when the Bible says "God formed the animals and brought them to Adam [to name]..", the underling assumption is that they were already created as Genesis 1 says they were.

God is saying that brought the animals he created. It's a reminder that animals are created being.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

As you have noticed, the creation account in Gen 1 is different than what we find in Gen 2. They are two different accounts. Adam simply wasn't the first human, but he was the first Adam or Adamite, the patriarch of his own family just like Jacob/Israel was the first Israelite, the patriarch of his own family.

Also, Adam was alone in the garden but elsewhere in the world there were other people. They were hunter gathers not farmers. When God saw no man to till the ground it means there were no farmers not that there were no people at all. Science has found this true, that hunter gathers existed long before people started to till the ground in farming. So, the bible matches the evidence found of humanities past and development which strengthens that the bible is accurate.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Blog Entries

When I read Genesis 2, I see all the parts of creation in how they relate to Adam. The plants, the animals, the Garden of Eden.....

To me, and some may disagree, when the Bible says "God formed the animals and brought them to Adam [to name]..", the underling assumption is that they were already created as Genesis 1 says they were.

God is saying that brought the animals he created.
    Not according to Hebrew grammar.

The scripture says "formed" not "had formed"

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

The Aspect (or verb tense as we say in English) is in the imperfect which means it was not a completed action but one taking place currently in the verse so God indeed was creating animals out of the ground right there in front of Adam. The theory that it referred to past and completed creations falls apart according to Hebrew grammar.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Blog Entries

OK, so which chapter - 1 or 2 - is telling the truth. One of them has to be wrong, then.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

OK, so which chapter - 1 or 2 - is telling the truth. One of them has to be wrong, then.
    They are both correct. The events of Gen 1 happen before the events of Gen 2. Gen 2 is what God does after the first day of rest.

God is saying that brought the animals he created. It's a reminder that animals are created being.
    Yes.
    He also brought the fowls of the air for him to name , and these were created on day 5. Gen 2:19

Yes.
    He also brought the fowls of the air for him to name , and these were created on day 5. Gen 2:19
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Yes.
    No, he didn't bring any animals from day 5. All the animals in Gen 2 were created inside of the garden. No fish were created in Gen 2 because the garden in Eden was land locked and not near the ocean.

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

All Gen 2 animals created from the ground not water. Here birds are created ROM the ground but in Gen 1 bird are created from the waters:

Gen 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Some birds do like to be around the waters like seagulls, where others prefer more land based areas to live around like bluejays and hummingbirds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    No, he didn't bring any animals from day 5. All the animals in Gen 2 were created inside of the garden. No fish were created in Gen 2 because the garden in Eden was land locked and not near the ocean.
    Why create them again? God did say that all he created was very good.

Plenty of fresh water fish in those 4 rivers.

Why create them again? God did say that all he created was very good.

Blog Entries

Why create them again?
    It was new birds.

Yes but God didn't make any fish in Gen 2. He only made land animals and birds in Gen 2, further evidence that Gen 1 was an earlier creation of dif animals.

It was new birds.
    Why create new birds the day after you did a good job of making them the day before?
    I think God created birds to multiply on the land. No bird lays its eggs and builds its nest in the ocean.

Gen 1
    20 Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” 21 God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.

Clearly birds are from the earth as Gen 2 states.

God is taking Adam to the zoo he has created...and he sees them male and female. Not good for man to be alone as Adam found out that day. God then presents Adam with his woman, in which he is delighted.... and God rests from a very good work.

It was new birds.
    Why create new birds the day after you did a good job of making them the day before?
    I think God created birds to multiply on the land. No bird lays its eggs and builds its nest in the ocean.

Gen 1
    20 Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” 21 God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.

God is taking Adam to the zoo he has created...and he sees them male and female. Not good for man to be alone as Adam found out that day. God then presents Adam with his woman, in which he is delighted.... and God rests from a very good work.

Blog Entries

Why doesn't matter. That's what God did.

lol, as if Gen 1 doesn't state birds are from the water.

God is taking Adam to the zoo he has created

No, the Hebrew proves that God is making new animals in front of Adam.

God then presents Adam with his woman, in which he is delighted.... and God rests from a very good work.

God doesn't rest after creating Adam and Eve.

Thread Information