Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My coming is like Noah's day.

Hybrid View

My coming is like Noah's day.

What do you think Jesus meant by saying his coming would be like Noah's day ?

My thoughts lean toward an inescapable judgment for all those outside his salvation. Be it an ark or his Gospel.

1Thess 5
    Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. 3 While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; 6 so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Blog Entries

Re: My coming is like Noah's day.

God used Noah and Lot as examples of how it will be at the end of the age. In the days of Noah, God destroyed the whole earth BUT saved Noah and eight other souls (2 Pet 2:5). Yet ONLY Noah was considered righteous. There is no indication that those of his family were any more righteous than the rest of those who perished. In fact, when one studies his children, specifically Ham, they were not particularly righteous. One of the reasons, the 8 people were spared was for the PURPOSE OF REPOPULATING THE EARTH. Likewise, the small remnant of the nations that are spared at the 2nd coming will go on to repopulate the earth.

Likewise, Lot was considered a ”righteous soul” (2 Pet 2:8). But there is no indication that his family was anymore righteous than the rest of those who died in Sodom. His own wife was turned into a pillar of salt because of her desire for Sodom. Lot’s daughters were sexually immoral and produced Moab and Ammon through an incestual relationship. These were not righteous people but they were spared anyway. The scriptures consistently speak of God preserving a remnant of the nations for the saint to give government over in the age to come. The disciples will “Sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel” and the saints with Christ will “tend the NATIONS with a rod of iron”. This was the apostolic belief of the early church for the first 300 years.

REGARDING 2 Thess 1:7-10

Where does 2 Thess 1:7-10 state, ALL the unbelievers are destroyed? Paul uses language which limits the scope of this destruction to those “who are persecuting” the church. This is not speaking about every unbeliever. Not every unbeliever actively persecuted the church.

2Th 1:6-10 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, (7) and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, (8) in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. (9) These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, (10) when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.

Here Paul specifically identifies the target of the Lord’s judgment as those “who trouble you” or “those who afflict you”. He then shows they do so because they “do not know God and who do not obey the gospel”. “Do not obey the gospel” means they “disobey the gospel”. This is NOT TALKING about those who’ve NEVER HEARD the gospel.

Paul was clearly using OT language found in Micah 5:15

Micah 5:15 I will take vengeance in anger and wrath on the nations that have not obeyed me.

This passage is about God judging the nations when the nation of Israel returns to their land. The remainer of the book includes information about the continuation of the natural order, continuation of the present earth, and natural Israel and other ideas which are incompatible with amillenialism.

The thrust of 1 Thess 1:7-10 corroborates with Revelation 19:17-21 and the armies that gather against Christ at His coming are destroyed by fire. Armies don’t represent the entire world.

Rev 19:19 And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.

This is the same army as found in Zechariah 14 and Isaiah, which persecutes the saints at the end of the age. This is not referencing survivors who never persecuted the saints.

Isa 34:2-9 For the indignation of the LORD is against all nations, And Hisfury against all their armies; He has utterly destroyed them, He has given them over to the slaughter. … (8) For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance, The year of recompense for the cause of Zion.

Isaiah says it’s specifically against the armies from all nations. NOT EVERY HUMAN IS IN THE ARMY.

Blog Entries

On my earlier post, I gave a reply to 2 Thess 2 and should have also included my reply to 1 Thess 5. However the edit button is not working. I was preemptively addressing 2 Thess 2 in my head Are you guys having any trouble with the edit feature?

Blog Entries

Yes Bibleforums need to fix the edit function and stop the embarrassing double posts.

As it was in the Days of Noah:
    1 Thessalonians 5:3-5 You friends, are not in the dark, that Day will not come upon you like a thief. You are children of the Light, of the day. We do not belong to night and darkness. But while they are saying: all is peaceful, all secure; then destruction is upon them, suddenly as the pangs that come upon a woman in childbirth and there will be no escape.

You My friends’ - Those who love Him and keep His commands.
    John 15:14-15 You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is about, I call you friends because I have disclosed to you everything that I heard from the Father.

‘that Day’- Jesus quoted Isaiah 61:1-2a at the commencement of His ministry. He stopped at ‘and a Day of vengeance of our God’.
    That day, therefore; must be the next prophesied event.
    It is wrong to think ‘that Day’ is the Return of Jesus in His glory, for these main reasons;
    1/ The situation will hardly be: ‘all is peaceful’, at the end of the Tribulation and with the Anti Christ’s army coming to attack Jerusalem!
    2/ The Return will not come ‘as a thief’, that is unexpectedly, because as anyone with a Bible can read that after the AC places his image in the Temple, it will be 1260 days, then the Return.
    3/ As described to us in many prophecies, the Day of wrath is a worldwide event, on all nations, an event of Noahic proportions:
    Zephaniah 1:7 Keep silent in the presence of the Lord, for the Day of the Lord is near, the Lord has prepared a sacrifice and set apart those His has invited.Romans 9:22
    Isaiah 13:9 The Day of the Lord is coming, that cruel Day of wrath and fierce anger, to reduce the earth to a desolation and to destroy the wicked there.
    Malachi 4:1 The Day comes, burning like a furnace, all the proud evildoers will be as stubble, that Day will set them ablaze leaving them neither root nor branch.
    Revelation 6:17 For the great Day of their wrath has come and who can stand?

like a thief’- That is, unexpectedly to all the godless peoples and to those who have ignored or failed to understand the prophetic warnings.
    Revelation 3:3 If you do not wake up, you will not know the moment of My coming.
    Revelation 16:15 See: I am coming unexpectedly. Happy is the one who stays awake and ready.
    Isaiah 46:10 From the beginning I reveal the end, from ancient times what is yet to be.

children of the light’-
    1 Thess. 5:8 We who belong in the light, must keep prepared and armed with salvation.
    Isaiah 42:6 I have formed and destined you to be a light to the nations.....

‘they say; all is peaceful, all secure’- The enemy nations prepare a surprise attack on Israel.
    Micah 4:12 They do not understand God’s purposes, they are gathered like sheaves on the threshing floor.
    Matthew 24:37-44 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be when the Son of Man comes. Then they ate, drank and married right up to the day Noah went into the ark. They knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes. Be ready, therefore, lest He comes when you are unprepared.

‘suddenly destruction is upon them’- This is the Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath, prophesied over 100 times in the Bible and accurately described as a CME sunstrike. Isaiah 30:26
    Isaiah 47:8-11 Listen to this, you lovers of luxury, living carefree and thinking you will never be in mourning. Suddenly, in a single Day disaster will come upon you.
    Jeremiah 25:32-33 The Lord says: Ruin spreads from nation to nation. A mighty tempest blows up and those whom the Lord has slain on that Day will lie scattered all over the world.

‘there will be no escape’-Everyone will be affected, this Day will come upon everyone. Luke 21:35
    Romans 2:3 Do you imagine that you can escape the judgement of God?
    Isaiah 2:19 They will creep into caves to hide when the Lord strikes the world with terror.
    Revelation 6:16-17 They called out: Hide us from the wrath of God and the Lamb’.
    Ref: REB, NIV. Some verses abridged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    Yes Bibleforums need to fix the edit function and stop the embarrassing double posts.

As it was in the Days of Noah:
    1 Thessalonians 5:3-5 You friends, are not in the dark, that Day will not come upon you like a thief. You are children of the Light, of the day. We do not belong to night and darkness. But while they are saying: all is peaceful, all secure; then destruction is upon them, suddenly as the pangs that come upon a woman in childbirth and there will be no escape.

You My friends’ - Those who love Him and keep His commands.
    John 15:14-15 You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is about, I call you friends because I have disclosed to you everything that I heard from the Father.

‘that Day’- Jesus quoted Isaiah 61:1-2a at the commencement of His ministry. He stopped at ‘and a Day of vengeance of our God’.
    That day, therefore; must be the next prophesied event.
    It is wrong to think ‘that Day’ is the Return of Jesus in His glory, for these main reasons;
    1/ The situation will hardly be: ‘all is peaceful’, at the end of the Tribulation and with the Anti Christ’s army coming to attack Jerusalem!
    2/ The Return will not come ‘as a thief’, that is unexpectedly, because as anyone with a Bible can read that after the AC places his image in the Temple, it will be 1260 days, then the Return.
    3/ As described to us in many prophecies, the Day of wrath is a worldwide event, on all nations, an event of Noahic proportions:
    Zephaniah 1:7 Keep silent in the presence of the Lord, for the Day of the Lord is near, the Lord has prepared a sacrifice and set apart those His has invited.Romans 9:22
    Isaiah 13:9 The Day of the Lord is coming, that cruel Day of wrath and fierce anger, to reduce the earth to a desolation and to destroy the wicked there.
    Malachi 4:1 The Day comes, burning like a furnace, all the proud evildoers will be as stubble, that Day will set them ablaze leaving them neither root nor branch.
    Revelation 6:17 For the great Day of their wrath has come and who can stand?

like a thief’- That is, unexpectedly to all the godless peoples and to those who have ignored or failed to understand the prophetic warnings.
    Revelation 3:3 If you do not wake up, you will not know the moment of My coming.
    Revelation 16:15 See: I am coming unexpectedly. Happy is the one who stays awake and ready.
    Isaiah 46:10 From the beginning I reveal the end, from ancient times what is yet to be.

children of the light’-
    1 Thess. 5:8 We who belong in the light, must keep prepared and armed with salvation.
    Isaiah 42:6 I have formed and destined you to be a light to the nations.....

‘they say; all is peaceful, all secure’- The enemy nations prepare a surprise attack on Israel.
    Micah 4:12 They do not understand God’s purposes, they are gathered like sheaves on the threshing floor.
    Matthew 24:37-44 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be when the Son of Man comes. Then they ate, drank and married right up to the day Noah went into the ark. They knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes. Be ready, therefore, lest He comes when you are unprepared.

‘suddenly destruction is upon them’- This is the Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath, prophesied over 100 times in the Bible and accurately described as a CME sunstrike. Isaiah 30:26
    Isaiah 47:8-11 Listen to this, you lovers of luxury, living carefree and thinking you will never be in mourning. Suddenly, in a single Day disaster will come upon you.
    Jeremiah 25:32-33 The Lord says: Ruin spreads from nation to nation. A mighty tempest blows up and those whom the Lord has slain on that Day will lie scattered all over the world.

‘there will be no escape’-Everyone will be affected, this Day will come upon everyone. Luke 21:35
    Romans 2:3 Do you imagine that you can escape the judgement of God?
    Isaiah 2:19 They will creep into caves to hide when the Lord strikes the world with terror.
    Revelation 6:16-17 They called out: Hide us from the wrath of God and the Lamb’.
    Ref: REB, NIV. Some verses abridged.
    If you click go advanced when you reply to a post it won’t double post

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    On my earlier post, I gave a reply to 2 Thess 2 and should have also included my reply to 1 Thess 5. However the edit button is not working. I was preemptively addressing 2 Thess 2 in my head Are you guys having any trouble with the edit feature?
    Nobody seems to be fixing it. In the meantime, in case you really, really need to edit your post, click on the vB4 default style on the bottom left of your page, and change it to "default mobile style." Then there is an icon (a pencil?) you can click on that enables you to edit your post. "Save" the post. Then scroll to the bottom, and you can select "Full Site" to return to the normal use.

As the other brother said, you can avoid the double posts by using "Go Advanced" for every post. What a bother!

God used Noah and Lot as examples of how it will be at the end of the age. In the days of Noah, God destroyed the whole earth BUT saved Noah and eight other souls (2 Pet 2:5). Yet ONLY Noah was considered righteous. There is no indication that those of his family were any more righteous than the rest of those who perished. In fact, when one studies his children, specifically Ham, they were not particularly righteous.
    Noah wasn't perfect either. If he had not got drunk then Ham wouldn't be in that position. Fact is they were on board with Noah and were saved.

Here Paul specifically identifies the target of the Lord’s judgment as those “who trouble you” or “those who afflict you”. He then shows they do so because they “do not know God and who do not obey the gospel”. “Do not obey the gospel” means they “disobey the gospel”. This is NOT TALKING about those who’ve NEVER HEARD the gospel.
    Jesus is not going to come again and eternally separate the ungodly until the Gospel reaches to all peoples. This eternal separation occurs at the Final judgment of the GWT.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post

My thoughts lean toward an inescapable judgment for all those outside his salvation. Be it an ark or his Gospel.

1Thess 5
    Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. 3 While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; 6 so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober.
    The Flood was to put an end to the out-of-control wickedness and mass violence of the culture in Noah's area of the world. It also showed that God would not put an end to His plan to have Man fill the earth with those created in His own image.

Christ's Coming is compared to this because it is assumed the world will once again become wicked and massively violent. And the judgment that began with Israel would then be visited upon all the nations of the earth, since the gospel of Christ will have been preached to them.

What we have is a repeat in the NT era of what happened in the OT era. What happened to Israel will also happen to the nations of the earth. As Israel received the Law of God, and then abandoned it en masse, so also will the gospel be preached to all nations, with all those nations also abandoning Christianity or rejecting Christianity.

As Israel was judged, along with her enemy neighbors around her, so will Christian nations be judged in our era, along with the nations hostile to Christianity.

I do believe, like Beginner, that the forces of Antichrist, which I believe will be in Europe, will be defeated at the return of Christ. This is the heart of old Christian Civilization. After its continual decline away from Christian morality, it will, like ancient Israel, be ripe for divine judgment.

But the nations that oppose formerly Christian Europe will be equally judged at the return of Christ. This sounds like a universal judgment, much as the Flood was universal in the civilization of Noah's time. It covered, I believe, that portion of the earth where Noah lived.

So the idea is simply to remove from mankind those who have refused to live in the image of God, which is what Man was created for. The removal of wicked men is compared to a kind of bon fire, in which debris, or trash, is removed, where it is not wanted. It has, I think, less to do with torturing sinners than with removing them from an otherwise peaceful earth.

But it is more than a bon fire--it is a lake of fire. Lakes, in this case, can be enormously large, and can contain many people. So this endtime "flood" is, in a sense, reduced to a "lake," where judgment is brought and completed. No more destroying the world. Only the removal of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    The Flood was to put an end to the out-of-control wickedness and mass violence of the culture in Noah's area of the world.
    That was the only area in the world as far as human population goes. All spoke the same language. They only spread out 4 generations after the flood.

Gen 11

Now the whole earth used the same language and the same words. 2 It came about as they journeyed east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. 3 They said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and burn them thoroughly.” And they used brick for stone, and they used tar for mortar. 4 They said, “Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.” 5 The Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 The Lord said, “Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech.” 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city. 9 Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Only the chosen survived the flood and so shall it be when Jesus comes again. Therefore one must be ready.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post

1Thess 5
    Matthew 24-36-41
    36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

Jesus was referring to that the days of Noah that no one expected it as the verse right before verse 37 states

I believe Jesus is also referring to His coming in judgement upon Jerusalem in 70AD as the Jews didn’t expect to be concurred by the Romans because they thought that God would save them.

The ones taken in verses 30-41 are taken in judgement just like the ones taken by the flood in Noah’s time in verse 39 were taken in judgement as in Noah’s day it was better to of been left behind than taken away

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Matthew 24-36-41
    36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

Jesus was referring to that the days of Noah that no one expected it as the verse right before verse 37 states

I believe Jesus is also referring to His coming in judgement upon Jerusalem in 70AD as the Jews didn’t expect to be concurred by the Romans because they thought that God would save them.

The ones taken in verses 30-41 are taken in judgement just like the ones taken by the flood in Noah’s time in verse 39 were taken in judgement as in Noah’s day it was better to of been left behind than taken away
    Hey Marty, out of curiosity, which verse or verses in the Bible (if any) do you think directly speak about a future bodily 2nd Comkng of Christ? You can list few or all of them as a reference and do not have to paste the whole verse if you wish. Thanks man

Blog Entries

Hey Marty, out of curiosity, which verse or verses in the Bible (if any) do you think directly speak about a future bodily 2nd Comkng of Christ? You can list few or all of them as a reference and do not have to paste the whole verse if you wish. Thanks man
    Sure at the rapture just to name a few

Matthew 25:31-34

1 Corinthians 15:50-56

1 Thess 4:13-18

Rev 20::9 as the same time as 2-Peter 3:10

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks for clarifying your position

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks for clarifying your position
    Your welcome I'm not a full preterist just an partial one LOL

Blog Entries

There are 4 clear prophesies that tell us about Jesus' Return; Zechariah 14:3, Matthew 24:30, Acts 1:11, and Revelation 19:11.

Matthew 25:31-34 is about the Judgment of the nations after the Return.

1 Corinthians 15:50-56, is all about what will happen at the Great White Throne Judgment; after the Millennium. Proved by how it is only then that Death is no more.

1 Thess 4:13-18 is about what happens to the Christians then. The dead in Christ will rise and those who are still alive will join them in the clouds. Note well 2 things: The only dead that will be brought back to life then, are the GT martyrs. Revelation 20:4. This 'rising' isn't to heaven, as Jesus has come from there, on His way to the earth for His Millennium reign.

Thread Information