Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Are The Laws Done Away With?

  1. #1

    Are The Laws Done Away With?

    This subject in my opinion, is of #2 importance when it comes to putting on the whole armour of God. I've grown up in an environment that expressed that it wasn't required or expedient to keep the laws of God. I attempt to shed light on the subject with this two part video.
    God Bless!
    https://youtu.be/VczCx8hI1ZQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Are you a Jew or a Gentile?

    Who were the Mosaic laws applicable to?
    Jews or Gentiles?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Done away with? What does Paul and John say about it?

    Rom 3:28, 31
    (28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
    (31) Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

    1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

    Rom 13:8-10 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    (9) For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    (10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

    1Ti 1:8
    (8) But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

    Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,547

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    There is God's law in the NT but we are not "under" the law. There was grace in the OT but they were not "under" grace. I could elaborate further, but this thread has too much potential to go silly, so I'll leave it at that.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,287
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    Done away with? What does Paul and John say about it?

    Rom 3:28, 31
    (28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
    (31) Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

    1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

    Rom 13:8-10 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    (9) For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    (10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

    1Ti 1:8
    (8) But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

    Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
    All these refer to the laws of the new covenant not the laws of the old covenant.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma - USA
    Posts
    597

    Cool Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    All these refer to the laws of the new covenant not the laws of the old covenant.
    They are the same laws.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,287
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    They are the same laws.
    No, they are different although moral laws were kept and are a part of the new law. OT law is called the law of bondage in the NT but the new law if called the law of liberty.


    Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
    Gal 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
    Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
    Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    All these refer to the laws of the new covenant not the laws of the old covenant.
    What are those new covenant laws, exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    All these refer to the laws of the new covenant not the laws of the old covenant.
    What are those new covenant laws, exactly?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    This is a good thread on the subject......
    https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...71#post2687471

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,006

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by Servant Morris View Post
    This subject in my opinion, is of #2 importance when it comes to putting on the whole armour of God. I've grown up in an environment that expressed that it wasn't required or expedient to keep the laws of God. I attempt to shed light on the subject with this two part video.
    God Bless![/url]
    Didn't watch.
    If keeping the law means loving God and neighbor, and that is the law of Christ, how could it be said it's not necessary to keep the law of God?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma - USA
    Posts
    597

    Cool Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    No, they are different although moral laws were kept and are a part of the new law. OT law is called the law of bondage in the NT but the new law if called the law of liberty.


    Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
    Gal 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
    Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
    Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
    Galatians was specifically addressing circumcision here. It is an ordinance and not one of the Ten Commandments. The same Christ gave the law to the Isralites at Sinai (see 1 Cor. 10:4).
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,287
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Galatians was specifically addressing circumcision here. It is an ordinance and not one of the Ten Commandments. The same Christ gave the law to the Isralites at Sinai (see 1 Cor. 10:4).

    It isn't just about circumcision but being in bondage to the old covenant and it's law...you have to go back in the book to catch up to where Paul is by chapter 5:

    Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
    Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
    Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

    The old covenant, law and even the ten commandments were down away with and a new covenant and new law was created. Whatever of the old law was not considered bondage was brought into the new law but most of the old law is not part of the law of the new covenant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Galatians was specifically addressing circumcision here. It is an ordinance and not one of the Ten Commandments. The same Christ gave the law to the Isralites at Sinai (see 1 Cor. 10:4).

    It isn't just about circumcision but being in bondage to the old covenant and it's law...you have to go back in the book to catch up to where Paul is by chapter 5:

    Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
    Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
    Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

    The old covenant, law and even the ten commandments were down away with and a new covenant and new law was created. Whatever of the old law was not considered bondage was brought into the new law but most of the old law is not part of the law of the new covenant.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    The old covenant, law and even the ten commandments were down away with and a new covenant and new law was created. Whatever of the old law was not considered bondage was brought into the new law but most of the old law is not part of the law of the new covenant.
    Can you provide some specifics, or at least verse references for these laws not considered bondage? And, besides the 10 (or is it 9?) commandments, what is the 'new law' that you are referring to, or where can I find it?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14,287
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    Can you provide some specifics, or at least verse references for these laws not considered bondage? And, besides the 10 (or is it 9?) commandments, what is the 'new law' that you are referring to, or where can I find it?
    It's found throughout the NT. You'll just have to read and digest all of it but here is one example:

    Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    It's found throughout the NT. You'll just have to read and digest all of it but here is one example:

    Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    Yes, this same law can be found in several places in both testaments, loving your neighbor. Here are some of them.
    Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

    Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

    Mat 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    (38) This is the first and great commandment.
    (39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    (40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
    Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

    I'm wondering though, is this example you provided one of the OT laws that was done away with and then reinstated, or is it one of the new laws you were speaking of? And, if an OT law, what was the point of doing away with it to turn right around and reinstitute it?
    Seems to me that 'loving your neighbor' is rather a summary of all the laws that pertain to dealing with those around you, regardless of the covenant. It is God's law, and frankly seems as eternal as God Himself. Jesus, in speaking of the OT laws stated that ALL the law, and prophets, 'hang upon' this and loving God, and was reaffirmed by Paul and James, and John.
    Loving God with all your heart was also an OT law, which was included in Jesus' summary. Was this, in your estimation, also done away with? To be reinstituted?

    Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion Laws, Laws, Laws, Why Not All, If We Do Some
    By manichunter in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Apr 24th 2009, 08:57 PM
  2. 613 laws
    By Followtheway in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: Mar 16th 2009, 10:59 PM
  3. Need Advice: What Laws???
    By manichunter in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 12th 2009, 06:14 AM
  4. For my in-laws
    By Esperanza32 in forum Prayer
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 26th 2008, 05:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •