Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Are The Laws Done Away With?

Re: Are The Laws Done Away With?

I’d like to see the list of commandments you’ve broken over the past 30 days

You would be likelier to get a response had you said "years". I'm suspecting perfection. Could be wrong.

Id like to see the list of commandments youve broken over the past 30 days

You would be likelier to get a response had you said "years". I'm suspecting perfection. Could be wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by henrychills View Post
    The Ten written in stone by the finger of God.
    Which of them are you suggesting that I should forget?
    The Mosaic Law is obviously more than the 10 commandments. Leviticus has a fair insight into the 613 odd statutes that Slug1 alluded to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Okay, let me ask you some questions. When was the Sabbath established? Why was the Sabbath established? And who established the Sabbath?
    I'm not sure when the Sabbath was established? It was established *as a law* only during the Law of Moses, but it certainly may have become a custom at any point in time. God established the Sabbath, as a *legal requirement* under the Law. And it was established to keep Man from trying to produce, without the help of God, at a time when God said He would not bless that work.

In other words, the Sabbath showed the critical nature of Man working directly under the verbal sanction of God. Apart from application of God's word, all of Man's works are worthless, and in fact, disobedient. We are to always be led, in our conscience, by God's word operating upon our conscience. We are to live in the image of God, after His likeness.

Now, here is where I engage in a little enlightened speculation. I believe the Law was a portrait of a sinful nation in need of final redemption. It portrayed the hope of Israel in having the covenant between God and themselves established for all time and eternity. This could only happen by the redemption of Christ.

And so, the Law was a temporary fill-in, portraying this situation. Once Israel was redeemed, and no longer viewed as a sinful nation, the images of the Law were no longer necessary. Israel no longer had to be portrayed as sinful.

This means, as regards Sabbath Law, that the need to show human independence from God's word no longer had to be portrayed. In obedience to God, Israel always operates by the word of God, and all their works represent redeemed works. There is no longer any need for Sabbath rest, to show man's separation from God's word.

Of course, we know that today, only a remnant of Israel has achieved NT redemption. The unbelieving majority in Israel has neither the Law nor the NT to draw upon, in their hope of final redemption. They *must* come to Christ to be redeemed. And they *cannot* rely on the OT Law, which no longer applies in the NT era, since Christ has already brought his redemption. This redemption renders the former covenant moot.

Thread Information