Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why is only satan bound for 1000 years?

Blog Entries

Why is only satan bound for 1000 years?

Revelation 20:1-3 & 7
    And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain.2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

Why is it only satan who is bound and released as he is only a single fallen angle and can only be in one place at a time?

What about his legion of fallen angles why are not mentioned as being bound as they are mentioned as being kicked out of heaven?

Revelation 12:7-9

7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

What is the purpose of satan being bound in the pit if his fallen angles are still around to carry on his evil work?

I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a iteral binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which
    was literal.

It is the message of revelation chapter 20 that matters not the minor details and the message is that the great chain (the power of the gospel) is what binds satan from deceiving the nations as the gospel reveals who Jesus is and that He saves.

The message is also that Jesus doesn't reign because satan is bound Jesus reigns because of who He is.

Blog Entries

Re: Why is only satan bound for 1000 years?

When Satan is bound his angels are already defeated.
    This is a very simple answer.
    BOTH the message AND the details matter. They are NOT in conflict with each other.
    The message of Rev 20 is that Satan who is presently accusing in heaven, will be bound for a period of time when no nations will be deceived any longer.
    Jesus reigns BEFORE Satan is bound. They are NOT contingent upon each other.
    This is a LITERAL binding, in that the EFFECTS of the binding are REAL. The REALITY of the binding is stated that Satan will no longer be able to deceive. This means it is immaterial what the exact nature of the binding is.

marty fox, I cannot recall how long ago I may have posted the following quote (in part):

"the FIRST of the TWO "PUNISH" words in Isaiah 24:21-22[23] which parallels TIME-WISE the Revelation 19:19,21 / 16:14-16 / 20:5 at the END of the Trib"

[end quoting from my post]

So here I will quote the passage from Isaiah 24:21-22[23] that I believe parallels (time-wise) Revelation 19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 -

21 In that day the LORD will punish
    the host of heaven above [or, the host of the high ones that are on high]
    and the kings of the earth below.

22 They will be gathered together
    like prisoners in a pit.
    They will be confined to a dungeon

and punished after many days. [i.e. after the MK age]

23 The moon will be confounded
    and the sun ashamed;
    for the LORD of Hosts will reign
    on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, [during the MK age]
    and in the presence of His elders,
    He will display His glory.

So, the FIRST of TWO "PUNISH" words (in v.21) takes place at the time of Rev19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 (His Second Coming to the earth) with the "and after many days" FOLLOWS that point in time (aka the MK and then the SECOND of the TWO "PUNISH" words will take place at the time of the GWTj, Rev20:11+).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    marty fox, I cannot recall how long ago I may have posted the following quote (in part):

"the FIRST of the TWO "PUNISH" words in Isaiah 24:21-22[23] which parallels TIME-WISE the Revelation 19:19,21 / 16:14-16 / 20:5 at the END of the Trib"

[end quoting from my post]

So here I will quote the passage from Isaiah 24:21-22[23] that I believe parallels (time-wise) Revelation 19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 -

21 In that day the LORD will punish
    the host of heaven above [or, the host of the high ones that are on high]
    and the kings of the earth below.

22 They will be gathered together
    like prisoners in a pit.
    They will be confined to a dungeon

and punished after many days. [i.e. after the MK age]

23 The moon will be confounded
    and the sun ashamed;
    for the LORD of Hosts will reign
    on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, [during the MK age]
    and in the presence of His elders,
    He will display His glory.

So, the FIRST of TWO "PUNISH" words (in v.21) takes place at the time of Rev19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 (His Second Coming to the earth) with the "and after many days" FOLLOWS that point in time (aka the MK and then the SECOND of the TWO "PUNISH" words will take place at the time of the GWTj, Rev20:11+).
    Thanks for your post do see this as judgment but not about the MK

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Thanks for your post do see this as judgment but not about the MK
    I can't tell what you mean exactly... do you mean that you see no correlation in the wording of both Revelation 19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 and Isaiah 24:21-22[23]??

Or that you do not see Rev19 as happening at His Second Coming to the earth [point in time], but other?

Blog Entries

I can't tell what you mean exactly... do you mean that you see no correlation in the wording of both Revelation 19:19,21/16:14-16/20:5 and Isaiah 24:21-22[23]??

Or that you do not see Rev19 as happening at His Second Coming to the earth [point in time], but other?
    Sorry typo

I meant to say I see this as judgement but not the MK

I don’t think that rev 19 is the second coming but a symbolic picture of Jesus defeating His enemies repeatedly over time with the sword of His mouth His word

Many evil leaders and people have come and gone since the first advent but Jesus is still on the throne

Blog Entries

Sorry typo

I meant to say I see this as judgement but not the MK

I don’t think that rev 19 is the second coming but a symbolic picture of Jesus defeating His enemies repeatedly over time with the sword of His mouth His word

Many evil leaders and people have come and gone since the first advent but Jesus is still on the throne
    Your position does not answer the details of Isa 24 though. In that passage the demonic host of heaven is cast into prison AT THE SAME TIME that the “King’s of the earth” are imprisioned to await a final judgment. Amill only sees one imprisionment of the devil and his angels at the cross. However, the King’s of the earth we’re not judged together with them at the first coming. This undermines the harmony of the amillennial position on the binding of Satan from their view of Rev 20 and he writings of the prophets. Isaiah 24 unquestionably confirms a chronological reading of Rev 19-20.

Jesus reigns because of who He is.
    You just turned the key that unlocks all scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    Your position does not answer the details of Isa 24 though. In that passage the demonic host of heaven is cast into prison AT THE SAME TIME that the “King’s of the earth” are imprisioned to await a final judgment. Amill only sees one imprisionment of the devil and his angels at the cross. However, the King’s of the earth we’re not judged together with them at the first coming. This undermines the harmony of the amillennial position on the binding of Satan from their view of Rev 20 and he writings of the prophets. Isaiah 24 unquestionably confirms a chronological reading of Rev 19-20.
    Agreed, and well said.

1 Timothy 6:15 [one of only TWO times "King" is mentioned in all of the epistles--both "future"] -

Berean Literal Bible -

which He will display in the own seasons, blessed and alone Sovereign, the King of those being kings, and the Lord of those being lords,

King James Bible -

Which in his times he shall shew [/openly manifest], who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. Isa.42:7

How could anyone who was free to run all over the place doing evil....be in prison at the same time?

Although these false teachers promise such people freedom, they themselves are enslaved 2Pet.2:19

Prisoners who continually deceive others? Hmm.

Blog Entries

1 Timothy 6:15 [one of only TWO times "King" is mentioned in all of the epistles--both "future"] -

Berean Literal Bible -

which He will display in the own seasons, blessed and alone Sovereign, the King of those being kings, and the Lord of those being lords,

King James Bible -

Which in his times he shall shew [/openly manifest], who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
    So what about the sign on the cross?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    Im not quite sure what you mean here or understand my position as many people were not even born back at the first advent and many have come and gone since then and some are still alive today and in our future so I see rev 19s coming as a repeated event

So what about the sign on the cross?
    I believe Peter, in Acts 3:12-26, Peter is giving some very important info regarding "timing" issues (where in this passage there are TWO distinct "raise" usages: one with regard to His being "raised" to a position of prominence BEFORE His death; the other speaking of His being "raised" from the dead... and Peter is saying that they had overlooked/missed the "[My/His] Servant Jesus" aspects of the OT prophecies regarding Him, thus "fulfilling" that very thing, themselves [by having Him killed]).

Aside from that, think of this passage also (way before "the Cross"):

Matthew 2 -

The Pilgrimage of the Magi

1 Now Jesus having been born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, Magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is the One having been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”

3 And King Herod having heard this, was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 And having assembled all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he was inquiring of them where the Christ was to be born.

5 And they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus has it been written through the prophet:

6 ‘And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah,

are by no means least among the rulers of Judah,

for out of you will come forth One leading,

who will shepherd My people Israel.’”

7 Then Herod, having called the Magi secretly, inquired of them the exact time of the star appearing.

Thread Information