Thread: What does the "law of Moses" consist of?

Question What does the "law of Moses" consist of?

In Joshua 8:32, Joshua "wrote on stones a copy of the law of Moses". This was done in the "presence of the people of Israel".

What exactly did Joshua write? i.e., can someone give me the range of verses? Is it Exodus 20 through Deuteronomy? Or just the Ten Commandments?

Even carving just ten numerals could have taken hours, I think, so I'm trying to understand what happened here. I can't imagine the Israelites stood for weeks while Joshua carved out several books, yet it says "a copy of the law of Moses". Unless that is something short like the Ten Commandments or the Shema or something...?

Re: What does the "law of Moses" consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahHaidabo View Post
    In Joshua 8:32, Joshua "wrote on stones a copy of the law of Moses". This was done in the "presence of the people of Israel".

What exactly did Joshua write? i.e., can someone give me the range of verses? Is it Exodus 20 through Deuteronomy? Or just the Ten Commandments?

Even carving just ten numerals could have taken hours, I think, so I'm trying to understand what happened here. I can't imagine the Israelites stood for weeks while Joshua carved out several books, yet it says "a copy of the law of Moses". Unless that is something short like the Ten Commandments or the Shema or something...?
    I would just assume the account is true, as is. Joshua wrote down the entire Law of Moses, Genesis through Deuteronomy.

Deuteronomy 27:2, 4 whitewash them with lime. Upon arrival in the Land of Promise, under Joshua, large stone pillars were to be erected. Following the method used in Egypt, they were to be prepared for writing by whitewashing with plaster. When the law was written on the stones, the white background would make it clearly visible and easily read. These inscribed stones were to offer constant testimony to all people and coming generations of their relationship to God and His law (cf. 31:26; Josh. 24:26, 27). ~MacArthur, J., Jr.
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

I go with the brother in posting #3. The tall stones would have been glazed and then had the whole Law of Moses "engraved" (lit. Heb.) on them. Expositors will argue as to the exact number of Laws but it is in the region of 625. What better way of memorizing the Laws than to watch a man painstakingly chip out every Law with its every "jot" and "tittle" (Matt.5:18). So also the kings of Israel (Deut.17:18). It is interesting that in every case in the Old Testament where "God's Law" is mentioned, it means the whole Law of Moses (Deut.28:1; 2nd Chron.33:8).

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I go with the brother in posting #3. The tall stones would have been glazed and then had the whole Law of Moses "engraved" (lit. Heb.) on them. Expositors will argue as to the exact number of Laws but it is in the region of 625. What better way of memorizing the Laws than to watch a man painstakingly chip out every Law with its every "jot" and "tittle" (Matt.5:18). So also the kings of Israel (Deut.17:18). It is interesting that in every case in the Old Testament where "God's Law" is mentioned, it means the whole Law of Moses (Deut.28:1; 2nd Chron.33:8).
    Hi Walls, actually, it was my understanding that the stones were whitewashed and then "written" on, not engraved. I'll have to check that out because, WOW, if Joshua "engraved" the words of the Torah on all of those stones (instead of writing them), I sure hope he was one of the OT saints who lived for hundreds of years!!

Also, along with the immense amount of time that it would take to do that ("engrave" the entire Torah on stones), there wouldn't be any way of erasing mistakes, so every time you'd make one, you'd have to find a new stone, prepare it, & then start the whole process over again from scratch (no pun intended)

~Deut
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post
    Hi Walls, actually, it was my understanding that the stones were whitewashed and then "written" on, not engraved. I'll have to check that out because, WOW, if Joshua "engraved" the words of the Torah on all of those stones (instead of writing them), I sure hope he was one of the OT saints who lived for hundreds of years!!

Also, along with the immense amount of time that it would take to do that ("engrave" the entire Torah on stones), there wouldn't be any way of erasing mistakes, so every time you'd make one, you'd have to find a new stone, prepare it, & then start the whole process over again from scratch (no pun intended)

~Deut
    I hear you brother. You could very well be correct. Strong gives the meaning, "to record" as the general meaning, but did say that the root of the Hebrew was "to grave". I think the emphasis of the word in its context is more about "recording" or "describing" than the manner of writing. If so, you are most probably correct.

What gives me a hint of more than just writing is that the stones were "plaistered" (Deut.27:2). The word "plaistered" doesn't help too much either because it is only used here. It comes from the root "to boil". Maybe it was a base that would allow Joshua to write normally - as you suggest, but that when the "plaister" dried the writing would be fixed like the frescoes you see in old medieval towns in central and northern Europe.

[INDENT][COLOR=#000000]In Joshua 8:32, Joshua "wrote on stones a copy of the law of Moses". This was done in the "presence of the people of Israel".

What exactly did Joshua write?
    Joshua wrote statements that should have left no doubt all people need God's mercy.

It is interesting to note that in China there were actually libraries that consisted of giant stone tablets engraved with their texts. They do still exist, you can see a picture here: https://www.bdslive.com/article/maga...stone-article/

If the heathen would have gone to the efforts of making these stone tablets with their idolatry, why wouldn't the people of God have?

The law explicitly required the Word of God to be written on houses as well.

Deuteronomy 6:9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

People often think of one small verse, but why? Why not write large passages from the Bible on the walls of a house? I don't think anyone with a love for the Word of God would hesitate to do that, now and back then.

the law of Moses".....is everything God commanded the people to observe through MOSES. Then just before his death he wrote down all the commandments and ordinances in a book, called the book of the law. It consists completely in the records from the Passover to the death of Moses . Anything God commanded him for the Israelites to observe, is the law of Moses. Just before Moses died he wrote it down and it was placed beside the ark of the " covenant law" the ten commandments, which are the law of God. Moses law was meant to make the people obey Gods law , because they were exceedingly sinful , it's meant to keep sinful people in line through fear. So that adulterers , will not commit adultery. And those who want to do violence and kill , won't because they know the punishment....ect. It's sort of like a governing document mediated through Moses himself who was chosen to deliver Israel from slavery in Egypt, as God called them out .

the actual law for sinners is the Ten Commandments , the mosaic law then goes into detail on the ten categories of the commandments. For instance the law says " thou shalt not commit adultery" ....then the mosaic law gives the knowledge of what adultery is , and it's many sub categories of sexual perversions ....it gives the details of what is sin and establishes a system of penance through observing rigorous ritualistic ordinances and things creating a feeling of relationship even though it is not like the gospel and the relationship offered by Christ.

God had told Moses the people were sinful and when he died would corrupt themselves and follow other gods so ...

“And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it at the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the Lord; and how much more after my death?

...For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.”
    **Deuteronomy‬ *31:24-27, 29‬ *KJV‬‬

as soon as the law was written in the book , it is established not as a system of salvation for them , but to bear witness against those who transgress the law within the ark , the tables of the commandments. In Christ the law of Moses is of non effect, through the gospel we keep the righteousness of Gods law. We don't commit adultery.....rather we honor our vows. We don't kill, rather we love compassionately our neighbors....we do not steal , rather we give to and care for the poor of our means, we do not lie, we speak the truth in love, we do not covet but we have our eyes on the things of the heavens where Christ is seated at the right hand of God....we have no other Gods but our Heavenly Father through Christ Jesus our lord, we do not bear false testimony, rather we give honest accounts ect....

the ordinances and rituals , onservances of special days and seasons and moons....those things do not apply in Christ , we observe his commands , not Moses ....but we keep the Ten Commandments , also through Christ and his doctrine , not through Moses or even the tables on stone , through the gospel our hearts are formed that we are not adulterers at heart, who resist committing adultery , but we become those who have pure intentions within, not lust, love brotherly and sisterly love.....so then "not committing adultery " just becomes natural being born again through Christ and the gospel....the law of Moses is actually for those who desire the things it forbids. In Christ , we learn that the desires and thoughts and intents of the heart is where we fight the battle , because our actions are fruit of our inner man.

all they had was letters and words of a holy law, they lacked the spirit that the law came from...we receive this through faith in Christ and belief in his gospel

the law of Moses".....is everything God commanded the people to observe through MOSES. Then just before his death he wrote down all the commandments and ordinances in a book, called the book of the law. It consists completely in the records from the Passover to the death of Moses . Anything God commanded him for the Israelites to observe, is the law of Moses. Just before Moses died he wrote it down and it was placed beside the ark of the " covenant law" the ten commandments, which are the law of God. Moses law was meant to make the people obey Gods law , because they were exceedingly sinful , it's meant to keep sinful people in line through fear. So that adulterers , will not commit adultery. And those who want to do violence and kill , won't because they know the punishment....ect. It's sort of like a governing document mediated through Moses himself who was chosen to deliver Israel from slavery in Egypt, as God called them out .

the actual law for sinners is the Ten Commandments , the mosaic law then goes into detail on the ten categories of the commandments. For instance the law says " thou shalt not commit adultery" ....then the mosaic law gives the knowledge of what adultery is , and it's many sub categories of sexual perversions ....it gives the details of what is sin and establishes a system of penance through observing rigorous ritualistic ordinances and things creating a feeling of relationship even though it is not like the gospel and the relationship offered by Christ.

God had told Moses the people were sinful and when he died would corrupt themselves and follow other gods so ...

“And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it at the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the Lord; and how much more after my death?

...For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.”
    **Deuteronomy‬ *31:24-27, 29‬ *KJV‬‬

as soon as the law was written in the book , it is established not as a system of salvation for them , but to bear witness against those who transgress the law within the ark , the tables of the commandments. In Christ the law of Moses is of non effect, through the gospel we keep the righteousness of Gods law. We don't commit adultery.....rather we honor our vows. We don't kill, rather we love compassionately our neighbors....we do not steal , rather we give to and care for the poor of our means, we do not lie, we speak the truth in love, we do not covet but we have our eyes on the things of the heavens where Christ is seated at the right hand of God....we have no other Gods but our Heavenly Father through Christ Jesus our lord, we do not bear false testimony, rather we give honest accounts ect....

the ordinances and rituals , onservances of special days and seasons and moons....those things do not apply in Christ , we observe his commands , not Moses ....but we keep the Ten Commandments , also through Christ and his doctrine , not through Moses or even the tables on stone , through the gospel our hearts are formed that we are not adulterers at heart, who resist committing adultery , but we become those who have pure intentions within, not lust, love brotherly and sisterly love.....so then "not committing adultery " just becomes natural being born again through Christ and the gospel....the law of Moses is actually for those who desire the things it forbids. In Christ , we learn that the desires and thoughts and intents of the heart is where we fight the battle , because our actions are fruit of our inner man.

all they had was letters and words of a holy law, they lacked the spirit that the law came from...we receive this through faith in Christ and belief in his gospel

See the law was given to these people

“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;”
    **1 Timothy‬ *1:9-10‬ *KJV‬‬

and was given for this purpose

Because under the law ...

“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
    **Romans‬ *3:10, 12, 19-20‬ *KJV‬‬

but the point is , the seleration of the Ten Commandments, which still apply through Christ and the law of Moses which produces the law of sin in us . In Christ one can say " love one another this fulfills the law" and that is a quick summary but lacks understanding that love , will keep the law. If I love someone I won't steal from them , I'll help. If I love someone I won't commit adultery against my wife or with another mans wife. Love doesn't do the things the law forbids the Ten Commandments in the n.t.

“Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    **Romans‬ *13:8-10‬ *KJV‬‬

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    See the law was given to these people

“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;”
    **1 Timothy‬ *1:9-10‬ *KJV‬‬

and was given for this purpose

Because under the law ...

“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
    **Romans‬ *3:10, 12, 19-20‬ *KJV‬‬

but the point is , the seleration of the Ten Commandments, which still apply through Christ and the law of Moses which produces the law of sin in us . In Christ one can say " love one another this fulfills the law" and that is a quick summary but lacks understanding that love , will keep the law. If I love someone I won't steal from them , I'll help. If I love someone I won't commit adultery against my wife or with another mans wife. Love doesn't do the things the law forbids the Ten Commandments in the n.t.

“Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    **Romans‬ *13:8-10‬ *KJV‬‬
    There is a big difference between following the principles of righteousness contained in the Law and following the Law itself. We do *not* follow the Law of Moses in covenant with God. That covenant had failed, and ultimately was disqualified at the cross. However, it was intended to be fulfilled in the grace of Christ, so that now our sins are covered by the blood of Christ, and not by the blood of animals, which could only temporarily cover sins.

Nobody should suggest that NT righteousness is *unrighteousness.* But our righteousness is not defined as observance of the Law of Moses. The principles of righteousness contained in the Law were fulfilled in Christ so that we can have eternal salvation--not a temporary salvation.

Thread Information