Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Meaning of 666

Re: Meaning of 666

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    I think Greek manuscripts are written in all caps, right?
    The oldest ones, yes.

And that's because, when the New Testament was written, "small letters" hadn't been invented yet.

Blog Entries

Well I have a new thought on 666. I just keep coming back to Nebuchadnezzar's image which must be the 60X6 of the 666. So what is 600?

The 60 and 6.

Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold, whose height was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof six cubits: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon.

The door of the tabernacle is 60X6. The image of the beast is the tabernacle.

The 600 company of Nebuchadnezzar.

So then is the 600 those which were part of the King's dedication? So do the princes, governors, judges, treasurers, counsellors, sheriffs, and rulers equal = 600?

Then Nebuchadnezzar the king sent to gather together the princes, the governors, and the captains, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, to come to the dedication of the image which Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.

The 600 company of David.

I Sam 23:12
    Then David and his men, which were about six hundred, arose and departed out of Keilah, and went whithersoever they could go. And it was told Saul that David was escaped from Keilah; and he forbare to go forth.
    The 600

I Sam 27:2
    And David arose, and he passed over with the six hundred men that were with him unto Achish, the son of Maoch, king of Gath

Why six hundred shekels? 600 talents of Gold were used for the most holy place Solomon's temple. But what is also interesting is that in verse 26 we see David build an alter THEN called upon the Lord and fire came from heaven....ring a bell?

25 So David gave to Ornan for the place six hundred shekels of gold by weight.
    26 And David built there an altar unto the Lord, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the Lord; and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.

Rev 13:13
    13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

King David

Who is to be king over all the land in God's kingdom?

Ez 37:24
    And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

So if David is going to be king over the Land this this AC MUST appear to the world as David.!!!! Thus 666 does not add up to a numerical last name, rather the numbers sum up and points to a name. Therefore the 60 and 6 represent the temple, and 600 will be the number of people whom will accompany this king. Note this king steals the identity of David!!!!!

And who is the king over Judah, David (two horns)

The name of the beast is King David!

Blog Entries

And who is the king over Judah, David (two horns)

[/B]
    A horn in Revelation is a horn so one king is only one horn. The tribes of Judah are not horns in scripture either. You are also misrepresenting what 666 is and breaking it into parts that were never intended and are not valid.

Whoever the AC will be, his name will add up to 666...likely in the Greek alphabet/numerical system since John wrote all of that in Greek.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    A horn in Revelation is a horn so one king is only one horn. The tribes of Judah are not horns in scripture either. You are also misrepresenting what 666 is and breaking it into parts that were never intended and are not valid.

Whoever the AC will be, his name will add up to 666...likely in the Greek alphabet/numerical system since John wrote all of that in Greek.
    I believe, as said earlier, that 666 was, in John's day, the number of a Latin king, which means a Roman emperor. Taking the name or number of the name was a spiritual imprint upon the head and hand of men, indicating that God determines who is "marked" by the Beast by examining his head, or mind, and his hand, or works. This is, I think, a spiritual designation, and not a visible mark. I still think it's possible that it is a physical mark, but in Ezekiel 9 it was apparently invisible, and applied by angels.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I believe, as said earlier, that 666 was, in John's day, the number of a Latin king, which means a Roman emperor.
    And as I said before, the person John was speaking about was also said not to be in John's current day so it wasn't a current or past ruler. John says it was a king who was yet to come.

Rev 17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
    Rev 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Blog Entries

They are like a lamb with two horns. A lamb animal has two horns.

Psalm 132
    1 Lord, remember David, and all his afflictions:
    2 How he sware unto the Lord, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob;
    3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
    4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
    5 Until I find out a place for the Lord, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
    6 Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood.
    7 We will go into his tabernacles: we will worship at his footstool.
    8 Arise, O Lord, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength.
    9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.
    10 For thy servant David's sake turn not away the face of thine anointed.
    11 The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
    12 If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.
    13 For the Lord hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
    14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.
    15 I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.
    16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy.
    17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.
    18 His enemies will I clothe with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish.

Wrong rabbit hole....name will not add up rather represent his name.

See my new thread on the second beast's name being King David.

Blog Entries

They are like a lamb with two horns.
    Except it doesn't say that. You are adding that the beast is a lamb with lambs horns while the actual wording of the verse is that the beast had horns of a lamb...nothing more. This is how false doctrines begin...by teaching something that the bible does not speak of.

And as I said before, the person John was speaking about was also said not to be in John's current day so it wasn't a current or past ruler. John says it was a king who was yet to come.

Rev 17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
    Rev 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
    I completely agree with you. My thought is that the name is given to Christians in advance of this Beast coming at the end of the age. Perhaps he already existed in some form in the Roman Empire? After all, you cite Rev 17.10, indicating that "one is." It's a question more than a statement...

All we are given to know, from John's time, is that this *future king* will be a Roman emperor, or a "Latin king." The 2nd Beast is a future False Prophet over this empire. The 1st Beast will be the Roman Emperor, whose Empire the False Prophet will promote.

Blog Entries

I completely agree with you. My thought is that the name is given to Christians in advance of this Beast coming at the end of the age. Perhaps he already existed in some form in the Roman Empire? After all, you cite Rev 17.10, indicating that "one is." It's a question more than a statement...
    Those were definite statements not questions. John is passing on definite information to us. Five kings had fallen at the time of John's writing. He isn't asking a question. He says one is falling, not asking if one was falling. Lastly, John tells us a future king will come and when he does, he lasts a short time. That's the 3.5 year tribulation.

All we are given to know, from John's time, is that this *future king* will be a Roman emperor, or a "Latin king."
    John doesn't say anything of the sort. All he says is a future king is coming whose name will add up to 666. He doesn't say Roman or Latin.

The 2nd Beast is a future False Prophet over this empire. The 1st Beast will be the Roman Emperor, whose Empire the False Prophet will promote.
    The 2nd beast is the only Emperor or King. He will be a false prophet and a ruler. The first beast is the empire that is ruled over by the second beast..

Blog Entries

The 2nd beast is the only Emperor or King. He will be a false prophet and a ruler. The first beast is the empire that is ruled over by the second beast..
    Agree.

The empire (first beast) is the 4th kingdom upon the earth (7 heads/12 horns/4 beasts - lion, bear, leopard, beast). The king is the 2nd beast (little horn/King David in name only),

This is a counterfeit of the true kingdom to come upon the earth (7 churches/12 tribes/4 beasts Abraham, Jacob, Issac, and David the real king David.

Those were definite statements not questions. John is passing on definite information to us. Five kings had fallen at the time of John's writing. He isn't asking a question. He says one is falling, not asking if one was falling. Lastly, John tells us a future king will come and when he does, he lasts a short time. That's the 3.5 year tribulation.
    You misunderstood me. I was saying that "I" was more asking a question than making a statement because I don't really know. I was asking the question of you, of anybody, simply because I can't be sure--I'm just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq
    Well, we have a difference of opinion. As I said in an earlier post, one Early Church Father viewed the number 666 as representing a "Latin King"--not Nero, and not anybody but perhaps a recognizable early Roman King. Thus, the Early Church was given the clue, "666," and so, it was the Early Church who could explain it for us.

Knowing now that the Antichrist will be a Roman Emperor, we will recognize him as such. He will be a European leader, presiding over a 10 nation confederation in Europe. The False Prophet will be a 2nd leader, promoting the Antichrist. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. We don't add up names by numbers today. We can not resolve "666" except by reference to the time period in which John gave this puzzle.

My educated guess is that the False Prophet will be an apostate Pope, presiding over both halves of the ancient Roman Empire. But again, I don't know.

Blog Entries

You misunderstood me. I was saying that "I" was more asking a question than making a statement because I don't really know. I was asking the question of you, of anybody, simply because I can't be sure--I'm just speculating.
    Oh sorry.

Well, we have a difference of opinion. As I said in an earlier post, one Early Church Father viewed the number 666 as representing a "Latin King"--not Nero, and not anybody but perhaps a recognizable early Roman King. Thus, the Early Church was given the clue, "666," and so, it was the Early Church who could explain it for us.
    The early church doesn't have the advantage that we have so many hundreds and thousands of years later that we have.

Knowing now that the Antichrist will be a Roman Emperor, we will recognize him as such. He will be a European leader, presiding over a 10 nation confederation in Europe.
    A common belief but the texts about the AC do not specify anything about him being European or Roman.

The False Prophet will be a 2nd leader, promoting the Antichrist.
    Also very common belief but also not supported by the texts which say the FP is the supreme leader himself...not serving under anyone else.

We don't add up names by numbers today.

It wasn't common then either. It's all part of puzzle solving which a small part of any and all populations have been interested in.

All we are given to know, from John's time, is that this *future king* will be a Roman emperor, or a "Latin king." The 2nd Beast is a future False Prophet over this empire. The 1st Beast will be the Roman Emperor, whose Empire the False Prophet will promote.
    That statement of yours is true, yet as you know I often emphasize Istanbul rather than Rome. As you may be aware, my view of the Roman legs of iron divided into two feet in Daniel 2 is of a split empire of Rome/Istanbul leading up to the second coming.

Under this view the "Roman" leader could very well come from the Eastern territory of Rome, instead of European. I believe the Bible hints at a king of the North, a title relating to a Syrian king of Greek ancestry.

The final Empire will resemble this Greek Empire as per Rev 13, so we should not be stuck on a European fulfillment when most of the power of that "leopard/Greek" Empire actually was concentrated in the Middle East.

Even more precisely, the western portion of that split Empire takes on a more religious role and less dominant role in Rev 17/18, the religious whore being hated then destroyed by the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    That statement of yours is true, yet as you know I often emphasize Istanbul rather than Rome. As you may be aware, my view of the Roman legs of iron divided into two feet in Daniel 2 is of a split empire of Rome/Istanbul leading up to the second coming.

Under this view the "Roman" leader could very well come from the Eastern territory of Rome, instead of European. I believe the Bible hints at a king of the North, a title relating to a Syrian king of Greek ancestry.

The final Empire will resemble this Greek Empire as per Rev 13, so we should not be stuck on a European fulfillment when most of the power of that "leopard/Greek" Empire actually was concentrated in the Middle East.

Even more precisely, the western portion of that split Empire takes on a more religious role and less dominant role in Rev 17/18, the religious whore being hated then destroyed by the beast.
    Yes, I haven't forgotten your position, and normally have it in the back of my mind as a possibility. I'm well aware of the fact the Ottomans took over Constantinople and the Eastern Empire. Author Gordon Lindsay planted in my mind the idea that the Eastern Empire gravitated northwards to Eastern Europe and Russia. Regardless, this is a matter of future speculation.

The leopard/bear/lion has a body like a leopard, which either means the territory of Greece or a country that has leopard-like features. I think it very well could refer to a geography that centers on the old Greek/Persian territory. But the Beast is largely a Roman entity, which to me speaks of European territory. I don't really know, at this time, how to resolve the apparent conflict?

I don't use the "King of the North" prophecy because I see that as a reference to an ancient prophecy, and not to the future Antichrist. Nor do I see the Western part of the future Empire as being "more religious." The history of Western Civilization is one of European military dominance in the world. And yet, it has been held together by a Christian religious tradition. I hope to understand all this better in the near future, after more prayer and study.

Thread Information