Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meaning of 666

Re: Meaning of 666

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Well, the "Nero" interpretation fits well with the common myth at the time that Nero would be reborn. A number of early Christian writers take the "Nero" view, or say that Nero will return before the Antichrist. For example, Commodianus, writing around the year 250 (link):

Then, doubtless, the world shall be finished when he shall appear. He himself shall divide the globe into three ruling powers, when, moreover, Nero shall be raised up from hell, Elias shall first come to seal the beloved ones; at which things the region of Africa and the northern nation, the whole earth on all sides, for seven years shall tremble. But Elias shall occupy the half of the time, Nero shall occupy half. Then the whore Babylon, being reduced to ashes, its embers shall thence advance to Jerusalem; and the Latin conqueror shall then say, I am Christ, whom ye always pray to; and, indeed, the original ones who were deceived combine to praise him. He does many wonders, since his is the false prophet. Especially that they may believe him, his image shall speak. The Almighty has given it power to appear such.

Of course, "King of Rome" and "Nero Reborn" wind up meaning exactly the same thing.
    Commodianus' views don't fit in well with my eschatology, but it's an interesting read. Thanks!

I'd like to repeat what I said earlier on the subject of 666.
    I enjoy this quote...

https://covenanterreformation.wordpr...ists-critique/
    "The historicist view is that 666 is the calculation of the Greek word, LATEINOS (the Latin one). The earliest record of this interpretation is found in Irenaeus’ book, Against Heresies (180 AD). I will let Rev. Wilhelmus à Brakel explain the reason for this understanding.
    The Greeks calculated with their alphabet. Their letters were also numbers. That means that one word can represent a certain matter, place, or person, as well as a number. This was the number 666. The Greek letters, which were used for this number, were also a number of man, spelling a human name. Shortly after the time of the apostles the number 666 translated to the name LATEINOZ, the first king of the region where Rome is located. The land was called Latium after him. And the language they spoke was called the Latin language, as it is still called."

So what is 666? I really don't know, but it's fun to speculate. Here are a few of my thoughts, based on the above quote. 666 appears to be the numerical value of a significant name in the time of the Apostle John. John could not give out the name of a well-known Roman figure, and view him as "evil." So he provides a riddle that he knows fellow Christians can solve, and one of those names may represent a Roman king.

Some thought the name adds up to Nero, though that is questionable. It seems more natural that John is depicting a Roman emperor in general, rather than a specific king. The thought is that the Beast will be a Roman emperor, of sorts, and control European commerce and business. Those who serve him will in effect be serving an unholy, Satanic cause. The Nero theory may be a relatively recent view in history, which would, in my mind, rule it out.

It does not seem logical that the Christians of our time are supposed to figure out the riddle and apply numerical values to any prominent name or political figure today. That's because we no longer assign numerical values to letters in a name. So my guess is that we have to allow the church of John's day solve the riddle, and then apply the results in our day. That would mean that 666 adds up to be a "Latin king," which in our time would mean the Antichrist is also a "Latin king." This numerical value, or name, applied to commerce and business in Europe, would in effect be the stamp of the Antichrist upon them. And those who agree to do business through the Antichristian Empire are stamping themselves as members of that evil Empire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I'd like to repeat what I said earlier on the subject of 666.
    I enjoy this quote...

https://covenanterreformation.wordpr...ists-critique/
    "The historicist view is that 666 is the calculation of the Greek word, LATEINOS (the Latin one). The earliest record of this interpretation is found in Irenaeus’ book, Against Heresies (180 AD). I will let Rev. Wilhelmus à Brakel explain the reason for this understanding.
    The Greeks calculated with their alphabet. Their letters were also numbers. That means that one word can represent a certain matter, place, or person, as well as a number. This was the number 666. The Greek letters, which were used for this number, were also a number of man, spelling a human name. Shortly after the time of the apostles the number 666 translated to the name LATEINOZ, the first king of the region where Rome is located. The land was called Latium after him. And the language they spoke was called the Latin language, as it is still called."

So what is 666? I really don't know, but it's fun to speculate. Here are a few of my thoughts, based on the above quote. 666 appears to be the numerical value of a significant name in the time of the Apostle John. John could not give out the name of a well-known Roman figure, and view him as "evil." So he provides a riddle that he knows fellow Christians can solve, and one of those names may represent a Roman king.

Some thought the name adds up to Nero, though that is questionable. It seems more natural that John is depicting a Roman emperor in general, rather than a specific king. The thought is that the Beast will be a Roman emperor, of sorts, and control European commerce and business. Those who serve him will in effect be serving an unholy, Satanic cause. The Nero theory may be a relatively recent view in history, which would, in my mind, rule it out.

It does not seem logical that the Christians of our time are supposed to figure out the riddle and apply numerical values to any prominent name or political figure today. That's because we no longer assign numerical values to letters in a name. So my guess is that we have to allow the church of John's day solve the riddle, and then apply the results in our day. That would mean that 666 adds up to be a "Latin king," which in our time would mean the Antichrist is also a "Latin king." This numerical value, or name, applied to commerce and business in Europe, would in effect be the stamp of the Antichrist upon them. And those who agree to do business through the Antichristian Empire are stamping themselves as members of that evil Empire.
    John was writing to the present day Christians....in his day. It wasn't hard for them to figure out the numbers meant Nero. It was written that way so if the Roman's got their hands on his letter it would make no sense to them since they didn't assign numbers to letters. https://www.equip.org/bible_answers/...eaning-of-666/

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    666 appears to be the numerical value of a significant name in the time of the Apostle John.
    How? John wrote that the beast was "is not" meaning he didn't exist at Johns time. He also said this, "And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. "

So the name could not be a past or present Roman ruler as it would be a future ruler and he wouldn't continue very long. The last two beasts in Rev only last 42 months and then are cast into the LOF by Christ at the second coming.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Thread Information