Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of 666

Meaning of 666

Just some thoughts. Each of the three numbers in 666 has a root meaning, I don't fully understand the details but the root meanings seem to be as follows:

6 chi agamos - unmarried
    6 Xi agathoergeo - to do good
    6 Stigma - mark/tattoo

Could the number of his name, be referring to a description, an unmarried, do gooder, marked with a tattoo? This would move away from numerology which doesn't seem to be an effective interpretation of 666.

Any thoughts?

Re: Meaning of 666

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    Just some thoughts. Each of the three numbers in 666 has a root meaning, I don't fully understand the details but the root meanings seem to be as follows:

6 chi agamos - unmarried
    6 Stigma - mark/tattoo

Could the number of his name, be referring to a description, an unmarried, do gooder, marked with a tattoo? This would move away from numerology which doesn't seem to be an effective interpretation of 666.

Any thoughts?
    We are conditioned to think 666. But scripture gives the number in writing first "hexakosioi", "hexakonta", "hex", and then only the figure "chi xi stigma". This last is, as Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary says, is, "the twenty-second, fourteenth and an obsolete letter (<G4742> (stigma) as a cross) of the Greek alphabet (intermediate between the fifth and sixth), used as numbers; denoting respectively six hundred, sixty and six; six hundred sixty-six as a numeral :- six hundred threescore and six."

There are a number of values for 6 in scripture, but we must not forget the written value is also there.
    Maybe the uses of six might help:
    1. Earth restored in 6 days
    2. Man made on the 6th day
    3. 6 days of labour a week
    4. 66 souls go from the freedom of the Good Land to slavery in Egypt
    5. A Hebrew servant is released after 6 years of labour - a Gentile not
    6. Till the Land for 6 years and then leave it fallow
    7. From Adam to the Beast 6 days of 1,000 years - man's failure
    8. From Adam to the "last Adam" 6 days of 1,000 years - man time of government without Christ
    9. The Kingdom revealed after "6 days"
    10. Leah has 6 sons from Jacob - the most fruitful by far

It would seem that 6 is intimately bound with man without God.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    We are conditioned to think 666. But scripture gives the number in writing first "hexakosioi", "hexakonta", "hex", and then only the figure "chi xi stigma". This last is, as Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary says, is, "the twenty-second, fourteenth and an obsolete letter (<G4742> (stigma) as a cross) of the Greek alphabet (intermediate between the fifth and sixth), used as numbers; denoting respectively six hundred, sixty and six; six hundred sixty-six as a numeral :- six hundred threescore and six."

There are a number of values for 6 in scripture, but we must not forget the written value is also there.
    Maybe the uses of six might help:
    1. Earth restored in 6 days
    2. Man made on the 6th day
    3. 6 days of labour a week
    4. 66 souls go from the freedom of the Good Land to slavery in Egypt
    5. A Hebrew servant is released after 6 years of labour - a Gentile not
    6. Till the Land for 6 years and then leave it fallow
    7. From Adam to the Beast 6 days of 1,000 years - man's failure
    8. From Adam to the "last Adam" 6 days of 1,000 years - man time of government without Christ
    9. The Kingdom revealed after "6 days"
    10. Leah has 6 sons from Jacob - the most fruitful by far

It would seem that 6 is intimately bound with man without God.
    Thanks for your thoughts. When I look at the interlinear and strongs I just see the symbol for chi xi stigma.

Thanks for your thoughts on the symbolic meaning of 6, but don't you think the Bible is trying to give specific clues as to the identity of the beast in Rev 13, using the numbers 666?

Thanks for your thoughts. When I look at the interlinear and strongs I just see the symbol for chi xi stigma.

Thanks for your thoughts on the symbolic meaning of 6, but don't you think the Bible is trying to give specific clues as to the identity of the beast in Rev 13, using the numbers 666?
    I'm sure that I have not seen everything, and surely there is more to it. But it would not be about his identity. That is well enough established. It would be about his power, his standing before God and his standing before men. I guess I just haven't seen it all - but I love delving.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I've had a number of conflicting thoughts about 666. But I've had to go back to how it actually impacted those who heard it originally. Otherwise, it was a prophecy that had meaning only for those who will experience it. And I doubt that.

It was a cryptic reference to Nero, whose name adds up to 666. It doesn't mean that Nero was the actual Antichrist, but that his position as emperor of the Roman Empire was to identify the origin of the Beast system.

After all, Daniel had identified a "4th Beast" that would come upon the earth, and that 4th Kingdom was the Roman Empire. John is simply making sure the Christians knew what he was talking about without having to actually mention the Roman Empire. John was imprisoned by the Romans, and was not free to specifically identify them as something evil.
    The beast is destroyed at the second coming and rules for those final 42 months and so cannot be referring to Nero.

If you do a comparison between the description of the man of sin in 2 Thess 2 and the beast of Rev 13, they are the same character, both coming to power amid deceptive signs and wonders and both being destroyed at the second coming. You can't move all those future prophecies into history, it just wont work. The reason I started this thread is due to numerology being too flexible, and able to be applied to numerous characters and is therefore not a good method to identify the beast.

Blog Entries

We see a parallel concerning 666 in Revelation and to that of Daniel. Notice the statue which was built was 60X6 which just so happens to be the measurement of the door to the tabernacle...those who do not worship it are killed. Now did the statue have any length/width? Does not say but something 90 feet high and 9 feet wide had to be supported. Now the tabernacle is 100 cubits long and would be the 6 cubits wide of the pathway 100X6 =600. Now I also see the image of the beast which they build as the tabernacle.

The problem for myself still is 100X6 is not 600 per say though it is the total and not sure of the counting and the name of the beast in relation. It is possible that 666 is actually God's number as a man Christ which the beast is counterfeiting but still what is the name associated to 666?. Also it is possible we won't know the exact name until the very end as we won't know Christ's new name either. Is Christ's new name associated with 666?

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

3 Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold, whose height was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof six cubits: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon.
    2 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king sent to gather together the princes, the governors, and the captains, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, to come to the dedication of the image which Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.
    3 Then the princes, the governors, and captains, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, were gathered together unto the dedication of the image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up; and they stood before the image that Nebuchadnezzar had set up.
    4 Then an herald cried aloud, To you it is commanded, O people, nations, and languages,
    5 That at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king hath set up:
    6 And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.

rev 13
    14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
    15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

I think it's pretty well established that 666 refers to Nero.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

6 chi agamos - unmarried
    6 Stigma - mark/tattoo

Any thoughts?
    Unmarried to Jesus, without his righteous , = mark of unforgiven sin and a coming into the judgment of the second death.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Well, your response shows that you don't understand what I meant or how I'm referring to "the Beast." The 4th Kingdom of Dan 7 is an entity that exists from the Roman Empire to the Kingdom of Antichrist. This Beast encompasses the totality of this era, through the ancient Roman Empire to both halves of that empire in history, the Eastern part and the Western part. And it includes what we have today, which is a division of European civilization into a number of states, 10 of which will fit into this Beast in the endtimes.

In other words, the Beast was in existence in the time of Nero. And so, Nero's identification is significant in the puzzle. He wasn't the Antichrist, but only a figure representing the Roman Empire as that imperial tradition continues all down through history, until the Antichrist himself is finally identified. You know what I mean?

John identified the Roman Empire cryptically in 4 ways (at least).

1) He saw the latter day Beast with 7 heads as having been represented in history 7 historical kingdoms, leading up to the Kingdom of Antichrist. The 6th kingdom was the Roman Empire, after 5 previous well-known kingdoms (Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, and Greece).
    2) He saw the 7 heads of the Beast as also representing the 7 hills of Rome.
    3) He saw the Harlot, riding the Beast, as the city ruling that entire part of the world in John's day, which was Rome.
    4) He saw the Beast as typified by 666, which was representative of Nero, a former head of the Roman Empire.

John conveyed the important truth, already relayed in the book of Daniel, that the Roman Empire would be the final kingdom on earth before the coming of Christ's Kingdom. It would, in some way, continue all through the present age, and reconsolidate into a Christ-hating empire in the last days.

The Beast is both an imperial system and a man. Nero merely symbolized the Antichrist as someone who will emerge from the ancient Roman tradition. Antichrist will be the man at the end of the age who rules over a consolidate Roman Empire.
    I hear what you saying, and I agree with most of what you are saying.

Yes I agree the 4th beast is this extended Roman Empire, later divided into two, and so the 666 relates to this beast.

And at the time of Nero, he would have been the personification of the beast, and so to use numerology to identify him as the leader of the beast system at that time makes some sense.

On the other hand
    1) numerology is such a flexible methodology, it has been used to claim many other leaders as the beast, and this weakens the strength of using 666 as a precise identification method. I believe it was intended to be a stronger method of identification than the grey areas of numerology.

2) the mention of 666 specifically relates to the final personification of the beast during the final 42 months of this world, as mentioned in Rev 13. The beast is given a mouth and power to rule for 42 months (Rev 13:5).

Although you have expressed your view well, and I agree with a lot of what you say, I see 666 as a means to identify this final 42 month personification of the beast, and requires something stronger than numerology to make a clearer identification. So our views are close, but this thread is looking for something a little better than numerology.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    I think it's pretty well established that 666 refers to Nero.
    Many apply the 666 to a future 42 month period, and so I disagree that your historical viewpoint is "well established". It's one view among many, based on numerology which is ineffective as a method of identification due to being able to be applied to many leaders.

Many apply the 666 to a future 42 month period, and so I disagree that your historical viewpoint is "well established". It's one view among many, based on numerology which is ineffective as a method of identification due to being able to be applied to many leaders.
    Not within the time period that the Revelation was written.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Fair enough. My view is based on the idea that this was written not just for the last generation but also for the Church in John's time. They were the ones to figure out what John meant by 666--otherwise it would be meaningless as a "revelation." It was the Early Church who would likely find it more intuitive to utilize numerology, in accord with John's cryptic puzzle. I agree that numerology is not a *modern* thing.

On the other hand, this was to enable the last generation to recognize who the Antichrist was. I believe it is not numerology, which was more used in John's time, but the idea that Nero was already identified as the prototype, and that the endtime Church should realize the Antichrist would be an endtime type of "Roman Emperor" who hated Christians.

Christians today would look to how the Early Church solved the numerology puzzle, and then recognize Nero, as a Christ-hating emperor, is the prefiguration of the Antichrist, who would be in the same mold
    Yes definitely Nero, like Antiochus, is a significant prototype/prefiguration of the antichrist. I'm just hoping that someome would come up with something more convincing than numerology. v18 speaks of a fresh methodology, not the ancient common usage of numerology:
    18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

"Believer" in Arabic. They will lay down on their backs with feet away from him when he writes on their foreheads. Therefore, it will appear upside down once they stand upright. Ever seen "Believer" in Arabic upside down? Six is the number of a man. You will see a 6 lying prostrate before another 6, and a 6 lying prostrate before an image. All who worship the beast OR his image will be thrown into the fire. Exactly what John saw in Revelation.

This is right side up. Look at it upside down as it will appear on their foreheads. (Microsoft slightly distorts the round shapes for triangles.)

مؤمن

I'm not sure vs 18 speaks of a *modern* use of numerology, since the riddle was offered to John's generation, who read the book
    I was referring to another methodology altogether rather than a modern use of numerology. For example looking at the root meaning of those 3 numbers as per the opening post.

I was referring to another methodology altogether rather than a modern use of numerology. For example looking at the root meaning of those 3 numbers as per the opening post.
    I'm deleting my expression of belief that 666 meant "Nero." I just can't find enough justification for that view. This remains a difficult one for me.

Thread Information