Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 151

Thread: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,278

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    I wonder why Paul and the others also...

    Never spoke about a non physical first resurrection?

    Never spoke of Satan being currently locked away in the abyss?

    Never indicated that the ďnations were no longer being deceivedĒ?

    Never spoke of a FIGURATIVE thousand year current reign of Christ?
    touchť. all's fair in love and war.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    I wonder why Paul and the others also...

    Never spoke about a non physical first resurrection?

    Never spoke of Satan being currently locked away in the abyss?

    Never indicated that the ďnations were no longer being deceivedĒ?

    Never spoke of a FIGURATIVE thousand year current reign of Christ?
    But they did

    Colossians 3:1
    Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

    Matthew 18:18
    18 ďTruly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven.

    Mark 3:27
    27 In fact, no one can enter a strong manís house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong manís house.

    Romans Ch 1:8
    8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world

    and
    Ch10:17-18
    ,17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:
    ďTheir voice has gone out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.Ē

    Paul also mentions it in
    Colossians Ch 1:6
    6 that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole worldójust as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood Godís grace.

    and Ch 1:23
    23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant

    2 Timothy 2:12
    if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

    Romans 5:17
    For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE / South Australia
    Posts
    3,900

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    And as I said, there is reason to believe this was some of the Jewish expectation regarding the Messianic Kingdom.
    They expected Elijah to come and prepare the way also , but even the disciples missed it as it was unfolding under there noses.


    Matt 11
    2 Now when John, while imprisoned, heard of the works of Christ, he sent word by his disciples 3 and said to Him, ďAre You the Expected One, or shall we look for someone else?Ē 4 Jesus answered and said to them, ďGo and report to John what you hear and see: 5 the blind receive sight and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he who does not take offense at Me.Ē

    7 As these men were going away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John, ďWhat did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 8 But what did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Those who wear soft clothing are in kingsí palaces! 9 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and one who is more than a prophet.

    10 This is the one about whom it is written,
    ĎBehold, I send My messenger ahead of You,
    Who will prepare Your way before You.í

    11 Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear.




    Matt 17

    10 And His disciples asked Him, ďWhy then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?Ē 11 And He answered and said, ďElijah is coming and will restore all things; 12 but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.Ē 13 Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    They expected Elijah to come and prepare the way also , but even the disciples missed it as it was unfolding under there noses.


    Matt 11
    2 Now when John, while imprisoned, heard of the works of Christ, he sent word by his disciples 3 and said to Him, ďAre You the Expected One, or shall we look for someone else?Ē 4 Jesus answered and said to them, ďGo and report to John what you hear and see: 5 the blind receive sight and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he who does not take offense at Me.Ē

    7 As these men were going away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John, ďWhat did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 8 But what did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Those who wear soft clothing are in kingsí palaces! 9 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and one who is more than a prophet.

    10 This is the one about whom it is written,
    ĎBehold, I send My messenger ahead of You,
    Who will prepare Your way before You.í

    11 Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear.




    Matt 17

    10 And His disciples asked Him, ďWhy then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?Ē 11 And He answered and said, ďElijah is coming and will restore all things; 12 but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.Ē 13 Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.
    Amen and even the ones cheering Jesus on Palm Sunday got it wrong and I believe that today many Christians still have it wrong

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE / South Australia
    Posts
    3,900

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Amen and even the ones cheering Jesus on Palm Sunday got it wrong and I believe that today many Christians still have it wrong
    Exactly,, they expected the donkey to turn left so Jesus could take control politically, but instead he turned right and Jesus went to his death securing an everlasting victory for his chosen people. Didn't see that coming did they?
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

  6. #66

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    ^ Keep in mind that that is basically the SUBJECT being covered (by Peter) in Acts 3:12-26... (with their mindset still being: Jesus could not have been the Messiah)… and Peter is saying, the "Suffering Servant" aspects [vv.13,26 "His Servant Jesus"] of the OT prophecies you have overlook, thus yourselves fulfilling those very things, by putting them to death at their hands.

    They were expecting the "reigning king [in power]" aspects, but not the "Suffering Servant" aspects that the OT had ALSO prophesied. Peter is saying, by missing this, you have actually fulfilled that very thing. This, however, does NOT mean that His "reigning king [in power]" aspect has yet come into realization/fulfillment/existence (as prophesied). This is where Peter says the "UNTIL" part...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Exactly,, they expected the donkey to turn left so Jesus could take control politically, but instead he turned right and Jesus went to his death securing an everlasting victory for his chosen people. Didn't see that coming did they?
    Not at all even the ones who lived with Him for 3 years. Jesus had a much better kingdom in mind not an earthly one but a spiritual one a greater one so why would He want an earthly one in the future? We can also enjoy that spiritual kingdom while on the earth.

    John 18:36
    Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

    Matthew 21:43
    ďTherefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.


    How could the kingdom of god be taken away from them if it wasnít here?

  8. #68

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    (EDIT to correct) *putting HIM to death at their hands.


    Later, in Acts 1, they are still asking Him about the TIMING of the kingdom (the SUBJECT He had just covered with them for 40 days AFTER His resurrection, and He did not correct their notions, He just said it was not for them to know the TIMING of it, not its NATURE which they correctly understood).

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Paul probably wasn't given anything specific about what I call the Jewish Hope, the Age to Come, or the Messianic Age. Many Jews in the time of Christ would've known what the Kingdom of God referred to. And as I understand it, even the Jews, before Christianity, held to the Sabbath Millennial theory, or the sexta-septamillennial tradition. Apparently the Book of Jubilees, prior to Christ, and a few OT Scriptural passages, indicate the possibility that a "day" can be used as a symbol for a period of a thousand years. Paul was likely aware of this, but was more interested in communicating the basics of Christianity for the Gentile converts. That, in itself, was a huge task. John was given the job of bringing OT prophecy into the New Testament.
    But the Jews and the deciples had the kingdom wrong Palm Sunday proved that it wasnít what they expected and Jesus had a much better everlasting plan

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE / South Australia
    Posts
    3,900

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Not at all even the ones who lived with Him for 3 years. Jesus had a much better kingdom in mind not an earthly one but a spiritual one a greater one so why would He want an earthly one in the future? We can also enjoy that spiritual kingdom while on the earth.

    John 18:36
    Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

    Matthew 21:43
    “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.


    How could the kingdom of god be taken away from them if it wasn’t here?
    Great questions.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    18,004

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post

    Matthew 21:43
    ďTherefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.


    How could the kingdom of god be taken away from them if it wasnít here?
    Kind of hard for me to tell what you are meaning here, the way you posed the question. Are you basically meaning this? How could the kingdom of god be taken away from them unless it was already here?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I don't think the exact length of time for the Age of Peace is critical, and thus lacks verification. Just the mention, by John, of the fact of the Millennium is itself important. We should accept it at face value unless there is explicit rejection of a literal application. It is in the canon!

    And as I said, there is reason to believe this was some of the Jewish expectation regarding the Messianic Kingdom.
    Agreed the length is time wasnít important but when the angel said peace on earth and good will to all men at Jesus birth he wasnít talking about peace from war but the inner peace that Jesus would bring

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Kind of hard for me to tell what you are meaning here, the way you posed the question. Are you basically meaning this? How could the kingdom of god be taken away from them unless it was already here?
    Yes

    Did you see post #62?

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    18,004

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Yes

    In that case it looks like I'm at least in agreement with you about that post.


    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Did you see post #62?
    Yes I read that earlier and was thinking at the time about addressing some of what you said but then apparently changed my mind. I basically question your alleged connections with that of what Jesus said about binding before He went to the cross, where you apparently felt this supports something such as the binding of satan in Rev 20, for instance. Most Amils typically conclude the binding of satan began at the cross or at least soon after. Yet what Jesus was saying about binding in those passages you submitted, He hadn't even gone to the cross when He initially stated those things. There appears to be no connection then though I realize you apparently think there is.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    5,015
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why didnít Paul teach a thousand year reign?

    O
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    In that case it looks like I'm at least in agreement with you about that post.




    Yes I read that earlier and was thinking at the time about addressing some of what you said but then apparently changed my mind. I basically question your alleged connections with that of what Jesus said about binding before He went to the cross, where you apparently felt this supports something such as the binding of satan in Rev 20, for instance. Most Amils typically conclude the binding of satan began at the cross or at least soon after. Yet what Jesus was saying about binding in those passages you submitted, He hadn't even gone to the cross when He initially stated those things. There appears to be no connection then though I realize you apparently think there is.
    Jesus was predicting what He was going to do

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 102
    Last Post: Aug 23rd 2016, 01:13 PM
  2. THOUSAND YEAR PRESUMPTIONS
    By Keeth in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 628
    Last Post: May 1st 2015, 10:45 AM
  3. 7 Thousand Year Prophecy
    By m4rk in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 15th 2009, 04:21 PM
  4. Thousand Year Reign
    By lendtay in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Sep 22nd 2008, 06:55 PM
  5. Discussion Did Paul Teach Torah
    By manichunter in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Aug 13th 2008, 04:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •