Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

Thread: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    You probably don't mean to, but regarding your mention of would people not pay their utilities, etc. it makes it sound like another bill we have to pay and I think that is in itself legalism when it comes to giving to the church, right? I would think God would want people to take care of their families first, their doctor bills, car repairs, aging parents. People's bills are not always consistent.
    I know that many look at giving in the New Testament sense as only from the heart. And yes, there is truth to that. They will say we are not under the law... and there is truth to that as well. I find it interesting though that the scriptural example of giving that pleases God the most is sacrificial giving. And also that Abraham gave 10% to Melchizedek before the law was ever given. I'm not trying to prove the 10% tithe. I simply find it interesting.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    31,669
    Blog Entries
    95

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    The blessings that scripture reveals about tithing, never happened in my life. But when I BEGAN to consistently tithe, what scripture reveals has been consistent in my life.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  3. #18

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    The blessings that scripture reveals about tithing, never happened in my life. But when I BEGAN to consistently tithe, what scripture reveals has been consistent in my life.
    Do you tithe 10% or is your giving led by God?

  4. #19

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    I know that many look at giving in the New Testament sense as only from the heart. And yes, there is truth to that. They will say we are not under the law... and there is truth to that as well. I find it interesting though that the scriptural example of giving that pleases God the most is sacrificial giving. And also that Abraham gave 10% to Melchizedek before the law was ever given. I'm not trying to prove the 10% tithe. I simply find it interesting.
    I'm glad you brought the point of sacrificial giving up because I was thinking about this concept today.

    Sacrificial in that it hurts a bit to give as much as God perhaps wants us to, we give and now we have no gas money, so we wait upon the Lord to see how He provides. I think many of us are in trouble. lol

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,547

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    [QUOTE=DavidC;3517239]Thanks!

    I have heard quit a few churches say the same thing about not being in debt, is this something that many churches do? Get into debt?
    [quote]
    Only if you mean 90% of them.

    There are local churches in my area, erecting new buildings, some have grown exponentially in a few years time. There are churches in which the pastor travels via helicopter from one campus to another. Many very wealthy churches, wealthy pastors, etc. As far as I can tell, they do collect money - and a lot of it.

    Which brings up another question, a little off topic:

    How does a church measure their success?
    Well... 95% of all churches are below 300 in attendance. I doubt those pastors are flying around in helicopters.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,547

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    I'd edit that post for correct formatting, but until someone fixes the code I'm not able.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

  7. #22

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    [QUOTE=ChangedByHim;3517310][QUOTE=DavidC;3517239]Thanks!

    I have heard quit a few churches say the same thing about not being in debt, is this something that many churches do? Get into debt?
    Only if you mean 90% of them.


    Well... 95% of all churches are below 300 in attendance. I doubt those pastors are flying around in helicopters.
    I had no idea there are so many churches in debt! I guess with those statistics, most are lucky to have pastors driving cars. LOL

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    31,669
    Blog Entries
    95

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    I'd edit that post for correct formatting, but until someone fixes the code I'm not able.
    The manual way is to Ctrl+C (copy) your entire post with the quoted part, then right click the edit button and open in new tab.

    The opened tab will have a blank edit screen, paste in your post and do all the editing, then save.

    It's more work, but it works.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    31,669
    Blog Entries
    95

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Do you tithe 10% or is your giving led by God?
    Not at first and slowly I increased the amount I tithe as I found, the more I give, the more provision is provided. Provision is also a heart change in wants vs. needs and once I understood that God provides for my needs, then He began to provide for more than my needs. This is where I understood I was given more for the purpose of giving and the more I gave, again... more I found provisioned.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  10. #25

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Not at first and slowly I increased the amount I tithe as I found, the more I give, the more provision is provided. Provision is also a heart change in wants vs. needs and once I understood that God provides for my needs, then He began to provide for more than my needs. This is where I understood I was given more for the purpose of giving and the more I gave, again... more I found provisioned.
    Would you say this would also be true if you gave outside of your church? Although, I think it is James who says if you see your BROTHER without, give to him. I take this as taking care of believers first. Would you agree?
    Thanks!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    31,669
    Blog Entries
    95

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Would you say this would also be true if you gave outside of your church? Although, I think it is James who says if you see your BROTHER without, give to him. I take this as taking care of believers first. Would you agree?
    Thanks!
    I will assume you mean by "church" as the Body of Christ? Yes, I offer to other church functions, even serve at various events/functions held by churches in the local area. Just this past weekend we had a Christian Rock fest and I purchased all the pork that I smoked (pulled pork) for the bands to eat. I also give to secular charities/functions. Family members, whether or not they have faith in God, yes... I help (financially) when and if I can.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I will assume you mean by "church" as the Body of Christ? Yes, I offer to other church functions, even serve at various events/functions held by churches in the local area. Just this past weekend we had a Christian Rock fest and I purchased all the pork that I smoked (pulled pork) for the bands to eat. I also give to secular charities/functions. Family members, whether or not they have faith in God, yes... I help (financially) when and if I can.
    Pulled pork.... yes.

    Sauce ?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,183

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    You probably don't mean to, but regarding your mention of would people not pay their utilities, etc. it makes it sound like another bill we have to pay and I think that is in itself legalism when it comes to giving to the church, right? I would think God would want people to take care of their families first, their doctor bills, car repairs, aging parents. People's bills are not always consistent.
    No, it is not legalism--not any more than it is "legalism" to pay the utility co. for the use of their utility. For example, if I go to the bank and take out a loan for my brother, to help him buy a car, I will be required to make payments on the loan. I can't just tell the bank, "I don't have to pay you. This car is not for me--therefore, it's "legalism" and I don't have to pay you!

    If you are using the church, you are obligated by God to follow love, and do your responsible part to aid in the survival of that church structure. One does not even need a building. But if you want to use one, you should help to support it. It is *your obligation* to help pay for the utilities if you are using those utilities!

    Understand that the church structure may not legally require you to make payments. But if you don't make any payments, who will? Do you really think it is *God's love* for you to use the facilities without cost, only to lay a larger burden on the pastors and church board?

    You are not signing any contract. Perhaps you are just an infrequent "guest" at your church. But if you choose to become a member, then I think you've obligated yourself to participate financially. Just my opinion, brother.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,183

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    The blessings that scripture reveals about tithing, never happened in my life. But when I BEGAN to consistently tithe, what scripture reveals has been consistent in my life.
    For at least a decade of my life I tithed and was *not* financially blessed, in the sense of "prospering" financially. Yes, all of my financial needs were met, but I did not prosper financially. So I utterly reject "Prosperity Doctrine." It has not proven to be true in my own life.

    The problem is, How do we define "prosperity?" I do believe that if we obey God He will somehow show His pleasure towards us. That may be spiritual power, a sense of His love, or it even may be great riches.

    The point is, "prosperity" is a matter of how God wants to prosper us. And it may depend on the place we live, and the people we deal with. The Apostles were persecuted, and obviously were deprived of financial prosperity at times.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Coastal Mountains
    Posts
    8,236

    Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, it is not legalism--not any more than it is "legalism" to pay the utility co. for the use of their utility. For example, if I go to the bank and take out a loan for my brother, to help him buy a car, I will be required to make payments on the loan. I can't just tell the bank, "I don't have to pay you. This car is not for me--therefore, it's "legalism" and I don't have to pay you!

    If you are using the church, you are obligated by God to follow love, and do your responsible part to aid in the survival of that church structure. One does not even need a building. But if you want to use one, you should help to support it. It is *your obligation* to help pay for the utilities if you are using those utilities!

    Understand that the church structure may not legally require you to make payments. But if you don't make any payments, who will? Do you really think it is *God's love* for you to use the facilities without cost, only to lay a larger burden on the pastors and church board?

    You are not signing any contract. Perhaps you are just an infrequent "guest" at your church. But if you choose to become a member, then I think you've obligated yourself to participate financially. Just my opinion, brother.
    But what if that whole church model is inaccurate, and therefore too expensive? When someone has real passion for God they are encouraged to become pastors and run a local church and if they are renting, then to start a building fund.

    What if the correct model is home churches run by people with gifts (teaching/administration etc). And some overseers/elders in each suburb/town. They watch over all the little home churches for stray sheep and sexual immorality and are also available to teach and heal.

    Occasionally these elders gather a few groups together for a bring and share lunch, and they all break bread together. This model is inexpensive and more biblically accurate.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion Did Tithing help?
    By Sig Sauer in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 246
    Last Post: May 17th 2011, 04:01 AM
  2. tithing
    By peacewithin in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 8th 2010, 09:44 PM
  3. Tithing...HELP
    By kkimmm in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: Sep 28th 2009, 12:05 AM
  4. Need Advice: ~*JUICE! To GIVE or Not to GIVE? *~
    By sedux in forum Women at the well
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug 4th 2009, 03:21 AM
  5. Tithing
    By j79k2000 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Apr 18th 2008, 11:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •