Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

[QUOTE=DavidC;3517313][QUOTE=ChangedByHim;3517310]
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Thanks!

I have heard quit a few churches say the same thing about not being in debt, is this something that many churches do? Get into debt?

I had no idea there are so many churches in debt! I guess with those statistics, most are lucky to have pastors driving cars. LOL
    Oh heavens no! Our tiny little church has lost most of its members, due to a division in the church, and due to ongoing issues. But the quality of the few who attend is pretty high, in some respects. And a few of them are doing good financially, and can alone support the church.

If most of the buildings have been paid for, the cost is relatively low. The pastor's salary can be adjusted for the size of the congregation, and a pastor that is retired in another field can afford less.

For example, our own pastors have had other jobs. And yet the main pastor is still given a full salary. The associate pastor is having a parsonage built for him. And even in the current summer months we are in the "black."

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    But what if that whole church model is inaccurate, and therefore too expensive? When someone has real passion for God they are encouraged to become pastors and run a local church and if they are renting, then to start a building fund.

What if the correct model is home churches run by people with gifts (teaching/administration etc). And some overseers/elders in each suburb/town. They watch over all the little home churches for stray sheep and sexual immorality and are also available to teach and heal.

Occasionally these elders gather a few groups together for a bring and share lunch, and they all break bread together. This model is inexpensive and more biblically accurate.
    I do agree with the "small church" model. And I do think this is how the Early Church operated, with bishops and larger bishops managing, from afar, the smaller congregations.

Smaller congregations invite participation from all, which I think is critical in church growth, facilitating the asking of questions, and personalized testimonies, etc. If we are to get all of the "spiritual gifts" functioning, we have to decentralize the operation of the church, requiring that the size of the church also be diminished.

I share your concern about contributing to the "delinquency" of church boards who overspend. Pastors sometimes propose pet projects all on their own, with a "yes man" church board that agrees to foolish ego trips these pastors indulge in in times of weakness. Should we support this? No. I express my dissatisfaction to others, perhaps to the chagrin of the pastors. But I'm more interested in lessening financial pressures on the church than in lessening the pressures on pastors over what they might perceive is "negative talk."

I run into some of these problems, a bit, in my own church. But we take care of that by taking offerings separately for specialized projects--all agree on the annual budget, and "pass the plate" every Sunday.

I may not like everything in the annual budget, and so, adjust my giving accordingly, by not giving what might be necessary to pay for it all. The board and pastor are responsible before God as to how they spend our money. I would guess that if they come up short, they will take care of the necessary items first.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    For at least a decade of my life I tithed and was *not* financially blessed, in the sense of "prospering" financially. Yes, all of my financial needs were met, but I did not prosper financially. So I utterly reject "Prosperity Doctrine." It has not proven to be true in my own life.

The problem is, How do we define "prosperity?" I do believe that if we obey God He will somehow show His pleasure towards us. That may be spiritual power, a sense of His love, or it even may be great riches.

The point is, "prosperity" is a matter of how God wants to prosper us. And it may depend on the place we live, and the people we deal with. The Apostles were persecuted, and obviously were deprived of financial prosperity at times.
    Here was my follow-on response to DaveC:

Not at first and slowly I increased the amount I tithe as I found, the more I give, the more provision is provided. Provision is also a heart change in wants vs. needs and once I understood that God provides for my needs, then He began to provide for more than my needs. This is where I understood I was given more for the purpose of giving and the more I gave, again... more I found provisioned.

I also reject all "prosperity" teachings, specially the nameit/claimit.

God has provided over my needs but if I was like I was in the past focused on wants... I never had enough financially.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Here was my follow-on response to DaveC:

Not at first and slowly I increased the amount I tithe as I found, the more I give, the more provision is provided. Provision is also a heart change in wants vs. needs and once I understood that God provides for my needs, then He began to provide for more than my needs. This is where I understood I was given more for the purpose of giving and the more I gave, again... more I found provisioned.

I also reject all "prosperity" teachings, specially the nameit/claimit.

God has provided over my needs but if I was like I was in the past focused on wants... I never had enough financially.
    I'll be up front here, brother. My brother was a pastor, and is a strong believer in tithing on his gross income. He sometimes ended up in financial trouble, due to circumstances beyond his control, but he claims God regularly came through. God does grant miraculous provision *at times.*

But in the end I've seen my brother struggle--not because my brother is unfaithful, or because God is unfaithful, but only because my brother banks on a doctrine that God never guaranteed success with. He guaranteed financial and health prosperity to Israel, because if Israel, as a *nation,* had been faithful, all would've been prosperous.

But once you practice your Christianity among unfaithful, ungodly people, something different occurs. People abuse you and persecute you, and you are *not* guaranteed prosperity of finances or health. I watched this happen to my brother.

But I will grant you that God understands our defective doctrinal beliefs. He's gracious under all circumstances. My only purpose here is not to discourage faith in God's kindness, but to discourage latching onto doctrines that God did not guarantee would work under all circumstances.

Once again, the 10% tithe is *not* in NT doctrine. It was strictly a requirement under the Law of Moses.

On the other hand, giving is part of normal Christian practice. We give because we love others. Small giving is loving little. Big giving is loving a lot.

We should *never* think giving is strictly about commitments to a particular ministry. But it is about being responsible as members of a local church. We should give sufficient to the need and to the vision.

Blog Entries

I'll be up front here, brother. My brother was a pastor, and is a strong believer in tithing on his gross income. He sometimes ended up in financial trouble, due to circumstances beyond his control, but he claims God regularly came through. God does grant miraculous provision *at times.*

But in the end I've seen my brother struggle--not because my brother is unfaithful, or because God is unfaithful, but only because my brother banks on a doctrine that God never guaranteed success with. He guaranteed financial and health prosperity to Israel, because if Israel, as a *nation,* had been faithful, all would've been prosperous.

But once you practice your Christianity among unfaithful, ungodly people, something different occurs. People abuse you and persecute you, and you are *not* guaranteed prosperity of finances or health. I watched this happen to my brother.

But I will grant you that God understands our defective doctrinal beliefs. He's gracious under all circumstances. My only purpose here is not to discourage faith in God's kindness, but to discourage latching onto doctrines that God did not guarantee would work under all circumstances.

Once again, the 10% tithe is *not* in NT doctrine. It was strictly a requirement under the Law of Moses.

On the other hand, giving is part of normal Christian practice. We give because we love others. Small giving is loving little. Big giving is loving a lot.

We should *never* think giving is strictly about commitments to a particular ministry. But it is about being responsible as members of a local church. We should give sufficient to the need and to the vision.
    Randy, been praying about this response and what you testified of your brother. Here is what I was led too...

2 Cor 8: 13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness 14 your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness. 15 As it is written, “Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.”
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Abraham gave a tenth to Melchizedek before the law was even given. I'm not saying this definitively proves anything, I'm just saying it's worth looking at because it has to mean something.

Randy, been praying about this response and what you testified of your brother. Here is what I was led too...

2 Cor 8: 13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness 14 your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness. 15 As it is written, “Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.”
    Amen. Great scriptural response.

I was going to give you the life story thing, but I've decided it's too personal for this format. Let me just say I appreciate your "word," and will pass it on the next time I see him, the Lord willing. We meet weekly (at a restaurant), as a general practice.

I doubt my brother will stop giving the Tenth on his Gross Income. He's probably done it all his life, and has undoubtedly many testimonies to God's "provision." God does miracles for those who depend on Him. Even if his doctrine is wrong, God sees his heart, and will accommodate him to some degree.

I like your verse precisely because that has not been done for him by others. He worked at a Christian school as a teacher when they began to try to require he "tithe" part of his pay--even though he already tithed on his income. This amounted to a "double tithe," and because he could not afford to feed his family on this already-low pay, he had to move on.

When he became a pastor and started a church for the Christian Missionary Alliance, he built the church up to about 300, with the help of the Lord. But his church, to keep things cheap, met in a school, and he had no office to counsel people in. So he tried to meet in restaurants to do the regular counselling. But the church refused to give him any sort of compensation for that. Because his meetings were in *restaurants* they refused to reimburse him.

Since his children were homeschooled, I think he could not counsel there. Eventually, he left the ministry and began to work in the public schools, first as a teacher and then retiring as an administrator.

It seems that those who have "less," ie my brother in the ministry, are not given what they need by those who have "more" (a congregation of 300)? The problem is, I believe it was wrong of my brother to pay a "Tithe" on his Gross Income under these circumstances. It would be better to remain in Christian ministry, and pay less Tithe, than to go back into secular work! Do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Abraham gave a tenth to Melchizedek before the law was even given. I'm not saying this definitively proves anything, I'm just saying it's worth looking at because it has to mean something.
    The lesson is that Abraham gave God credit for his military recovery operation. We should *always* give God credit. The 10% number could be arbitrary, but it does seem "inspired." It may have been forward-looking towards God's requirement of the nation Israel to give 10% of their agricultural produce yearly?

When it comes to giving in the NT era, the Scriptures are careful not to require anything specific under the Law that is part of the Old Covenant. If we are, under the New Covenant, not supposed to murder, it is because we are under the New Covenant, and not under the Old Covenant. We obey God now under an entirely new covenant, and should not, I think, refer back to the Law, unless we are trying to find a principle of righteousness that applies in the NT context.

To put future nations under a law that was applied only to Israel, and that before the Cross, misses the purpose of the Law, which was to separate her from other pagan nations, and to look forward to the Cross. If we go back to the Law and practice the Tithe under that system, we may be failing to look forward to the Cross, and to the changes that brought about.

I think 10% is a reasonable number to apply, arbitrarily to your own finances, if you want--as long as it is based on your Net Income. But I like what Slug shared, that under circumstances that you have too little, you should not have to pay a Tithe at all, but should expect that those who have more than enough can make up for your lack. That is the true Gospel! (I hope I'm not misrepresenting Slug here!)

Blog Entries

It seems that those who have "less," ie my brother in the ministry, are not given what they need by those who have "more" (a congregation of 300)? The problem is, I believe it was wrong of my brother to pay a "Tithe" on his Gross Income under these circumstances. It would be better to remain in Christian ministry, and pay less Tithe, than to go back into secular work! Do you think?
    I counsel with the 2 Cor 9 verses and point out that Jesus said to pay unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Well, our "first fruit" (the net) is what we have left (is provided to us) after Caesar is paid, correct?
    Slug1--out

I counsel with the 2 Cor 9 verses and point out that Jesus said to pay unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Well, our "first fruit" (the net) is what we have left (is provided to us) after Caesar is paid, correct?
    Yes, our "Net" would include the normal deductions. One of those deductions is "Caesar's share." I would deduct all kinds of things--things which are never included in the Law, simply because I don't believe the Law was ever to be applied outside of Israel. Principles of righteousness under the Law are eternal. But the Law as a system was never to include Gentile nations. Why, for example, would the UK observe Passover, since the Passover was all about the exodus of the nation Israel?

Anyway, I digress. A further circumstance for not tithing on Gross Income would be the necessity of having money at all! If in your business you made 50,000 dollars, and you had 50,000 dollars in expenses, how could you Tithe on your Gross Income? You wouldn't have any money left to tithe!

So if a family, under circumstances such as poverty or persecution, has only an income of 10,000 dollars per year, how can it pay a tithe on income that is left after "paying Caesar?" There still isn't enough money, after Caesar, to pay for transportation to work, food, or rent!

This is the problem with the Tithe, because not only is it *not* NT teaching, but it also creates problems about "what is deductible?" But I think the 10% on Net Income works for a lot of people--it's just that a lot of people feel they can't afford it, or simply would rather put more money into their children, which is equally "spiritual."

We have to not put people under false guilt, in my opinion, while at the same time exhorting them to give what the church needs to carry on its ministry. We should put God's house above our own house, in whatever way we plan to do it--Tithe or otherwise.

We have spiritual responsibilities to our homes, our neighbors, our Christian friends, and to various kinds of missions. But the church absolutely has to pay utilities, salaries, rents, etc., and it is a shame not to pay our proportionate share, if we're able to do so!

Blog Entries

So if a family, under circumstances such as poverty or persecution, has only an income of 10,000 dollars per year, how can it pay a tithe on income that is left after "paying Caesar?" There still isn't enough money, after Caesar, to pay for transportation to work, food, or rent!
    Randy, in all honesty... if a family had $10K a year, yes it is poverty but if they lived in the means of this provision, then there will be money available to give back to God.
    Slug1--out

Randy, in all honesty... if a family had $10K a year, yes it is poverty but if they lived in the means of this provision, then there will be money available to give back to God.
    I'm being honest. I had a tenant who could barely pay us rent--and we kept the rent very low, and tried to keep her home for her as long as we could. The father of her kids had died, and she was not well. Whatever she got in welfare aid, and whatever she may have got otherwise, her small amount of money was used to care for her family.

It would be wrong to ask her to take a tithe from the family's food money and give it to the church. Granted there is some precedent for this in some limited situations, such as in the case of Elisha and the poor widow. But normally, it would just flat out be wrong, in my opinion.

There are real situations where people only have 10K per year. They certainly are able to qualify for welfare programs. But it would be immoral to take money from the government for welfare needs, and tithe either it or the money you make to qualify for it to the church!

Can you imagine I tell you I need money from you to feed my kids, you give me 200 dollars, and I take 20 dollars of it and give it to a friend of mine with undefined needs? If I truly needed at least 200 dollars, I would need to have another 20 dollars from you to make up for that need.

And quite frankly, money that you get from your job, apart from welfare money, will only be enough to feed the family, pay for gas, and pay the rent and utilities. Where I live one cannot rent a place to live for less than 1000 dollars per month, and it's often much more!

To take any of her 800 or 900 dollars per month and give it to the church would reduce the quality of apartment she would have to live in, and conditions would become unbearable. To take money from *any of the 10K* would be immoral because you're taking from the family's health and sustenance and giving to God. Jesus prohibited that!

Mark 7. And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by randyk

I'm being honest. I had a tenant who could barely pay us rent--and we kept the rent very low, and tried to keep her home for her as long as we could. The father of her kids had died, and she was not well. Whatever she got in welfare aid, and whatever she may have got otherwise, her small amount of money was used to care for her family.

It would be wrong to ask her to take a tithe from the family's food money and give it to the church. Granted there is some precedent for this in some limited situations, such as in the case of Elisha and the poor widow. But normally, it would just flat out be wrong, in my opinion.

There are real situations where people only have 10K per year. They certainly are able to qualify for welfare programs. But it would be immoral to take money from the government for welfare needs, and tithe either it or the money you make to qualify for it to the church!

Can you imagine I tell you I need money from you to feed my kids, you give me 200 dollars, and I take 20 dollars of it and give it to a friend of mine with undefined needs? If I truly needed at least 200 dollars, I would need to have another 20 dollars from you to make up for that need.

And quite frankly, money that you get from your job, apart from welfare money, will only be enough to feed the family, pay for gas, and pay the rent and utilities. Where I live one cannot rent a place to live for less than 1000 dollars per month, and it's often much more!

To take any of her 800 or 900 dollars per month and give it to the church would reduce the quality of apartment she would have to live in, and conditions would become unbearable. To take money from *any of the 10K* would be immoral because you're taking from the family's health and sustenance and giving to God. Jesus prohibited that!

Mark 7. And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

What did Jesus say concerning the widow who gave 2 "mites?"

Imagine, this family in poverty giving a single $1 a month for a tithe and Jesus recognizing this as a greater offering in that single $1... than yours AND my tithing put together, for a month

It's all about being "faithful" in giving, not about the amount, not about "having" to tithe. All about faithfulness in stewarding what is provided and a single $1 can be a great testimony of faithful giving back to God.
    Slug1--out

What did Jesus say concerning the widow who gave 2 "mites?"

Imagine, this family in poverty giving a single $1 a month for a tithe and Jesus recognizing this as a greater offering in that single $1... than yours AND my tithing put together, for a month

It's all about being "faithful" in giving, not about the amount, not about "having" to tithe. All about faithfulness in stewarding what is provided and a single $1 can be a great testimony of faithful giving back to God.
    If the woman gave 2 mites, and it was all that she had, then it wasn't a "tithe." A tithe is 10% of your agricultural income. Perhaps she had a special "word of faith?" Certainly that is what Elisha called for with the poor widow when he asked her to give out of her poverty. One cannot bank on a miracle without a word from God. Prophecies are words from God.

When it comes to the doctrine of giving it is absolutely certain in my mind that God does not expect us to give 10% of our income. That was part of the old temple system of the Law, which required this food to sustain the priests to enable them to perform their particular jobs.

Those jobs no longer exist. Different jobs exist today, and we have no exact percentage to go by. All we know is that we have been saved for the purpose of love, and by that love we are expected to be concerned for the things of God, as well as for the things of others, including our own families.

Giving is a matter of personal discretion. Any minister who preaches the Tithe as a mandate from God is, I believe, misrepresenting God. But we should declare real needs wherever they exist. They exist both in homes and in the house of God. If we are able, we should do our proportionate share in assisting with the needs of the house of God.

I understand why people get confused over the Tithe. Part of our NT Bible contains the Gospels. And in the Gospels Jesus speaks of the Tithe. People don't understand that Jesus, when speaking in the Gospels, was still speaking, largely, while the Law of Moses was still in effect.

After the cross, Jesus never mentioned tithing. No NT author after the cross speaks of tithing. And that's because tithing is *not* a NT requirement. We are not arguing over the need to give sufficient to meet the need. We are arguing over the 10% Tithe requirement! That is unbiblical.

Thread Information