Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    It is not. We cannot forget however that by giving to the church, to ministries, serving in churches that help others, providing funds necessary so that church(es) can REACH out to the lost, to the widows, to the orphans, to those who are incarcerated. IS also helping them all. And also by so doing, you are serving and helping Christ (Matthew 25).
    Hopefully the church we give to IS giving to the the widows and orphans.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Please keep in mind I'm a *big believer* in supporting the local church. It is the springboard for witnessing to the immediate community. Hopefully the membership will take the spirituality built up in the church out into their neighborhoods and jobs.

The local church is also the crucible in which our Christian fellowship is "tested" with one another. Our love, if it cannot withstand trials among brothers, will likely not survive the mandate to "love your enemies."

My biggest concern is that all authority in the church become concentrated in one or two pastors. In that case, their imperfections will infect all. A strong group of elders, as well as a responsible board, are necessary along with the pastoral leadership. A good pastor will make use of all of the gifts in the church, and will allow others to hold himself accountable. A church with a pastor open to correction is a rare jewel, in my view. But all pastors have to be respected and given time to hear from God themselves. Often those who criticize him are wrong or have a critical spirit.

I will not punish a pastor for not doing exactly what I want him to do. None of us are perfect, and we still need money to live. We need time to refine ourselves, through the help of God. A double blessing on pastors, and all ministers of the gospel. The more kinds of ministers there are, the better. And they all certainly need sufficient financial help to meet their needs. Hopefully they will get more in abundance!
    I agree we should support those who preach us the gospel, the whole point of the thread is to not bash the local church but to question why it is taught we should give 10% when this is not Biblical.

Honestly, I would not feel comfortable at this point of my life to decided where church money is spent, it seems the accountability to God and the responsibility of spending it in godly ways is steep. It also seems the fear of God should be implanted into whoever it is who decides where the money should go. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    I agree we should support those who preach us the gospel, the whole point of the thread is to not bash the local church but to question why it is taught we should give 10% when this is not Biblical.

Honestly, I would not feel comfortable at this point of my life to decided where church money is spent, it seems the accountability to God and the responsibility of spending it in godly ways is steep. It also seems the fear of God should be implanted into whoever it is who decides where the money should go. Yikes!
    Well, I've already agreed with you that the 10% thing is wrong. I heard it again today at church. We owe to our local church the first 10% of our tithe, and after that offerings to other ministries sponsored by the church. Nothing there about giving to ministries outside of the church, or to neighborhood needs not sponsored by the church. It's sad, but I find that if I'm very, very patient, I get my beliefs out there. It really doesn't damage giving in the church, I think. It just takes the pressure off of people. And when they are really able to give, they may become the biggest givers.

I really wouldn't want someone accounting for every penny that I spend. Neither do I want pastors to worry about me looking over their shoulder to see how they spend. It's their money, their salary, and it's between them, their families, and God how they spend.

It's different with respect to what the church itself spends on--its visions, missionary programs, and building projects. The board is very accountable for that, and should certainly invite input in that. We have our annual meetings, but I don't find those kinds of meetings conducive to being honest about my feelings.

The real answer seems to be not just prayer but also getting to know people in the church, and practicing genuine NT Christianity. And that means not sowing division or exercising a critical spirit. Rather, it means trying to build one another up in love, and carefully pursuing more controversial subjects. What may sound like the "devil" to some may actually be a form of important scrutiny. We have to be careful not to scare fellow members off with our style!

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by DavidC

Hopefully the church we give to IS giving to the the widows and orphans.
    Join your churches outreach ministry and find out. If they are not... then lift up a leg of that ministry and reach out more to the widows/orphans. If you are this concerned. maybe God's placed it on your heart to be a part of that ministry and to launch a leg ministering to whom you are concerned for/about
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Join your churches outreach ministry and find out. If they are not... then lift up a leg of that ministry and reach out more to the widows/orphans. If you are this concerned. maybe God's placed it on your heart to be a part of that ministry and to launch a leg ministering to whom you are concerned for/about
    That's a good idea! Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    That's a good idea! Thanks!
    Hooah!
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Phil 4:14 Yet it was kind of you to share[f] my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.[g] 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Good example of faithful giving instead of giving religiously.
    Slug1--out

Thread Information