Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

Why do Churches still practice the 10% tithing? Is it a convenience thing? Some churches preach that this IS a command under the New Testament, when this is error. The New Testament states that if we sow sparingly, we will reap sparingly, vice versa, many scriptures to attest to this.

There is a church nearby I attended a few times where the preacher will not talk about giving, all he states is: it is between you and God and he has returned money before when he feels the giving was more out of self motivation (controlling church decisions)They do not do an offering, if you have an offer, you just place it in the box at the back of the church. Are there other churches out there like this?

My questions are: Why still preach the 10% tithing? If you approach it in a different way, maybe the church would be given more than the 10%? I realize there are payroll and other bills, I am not advocating not giving, God has made it abundantly clear for us to give, but why the 10%?

It seems super archaic.

Thanks!

Re: 10% Tithing or Give What You Can?

The children of Abraham do the works of Abraham. He believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness. He had no Law requiring him to give a certain percentage. It was his choice to give 10% because he was grateful and wanted to do it. It is a privilege to give back to Him that gives all things. Just as John the Baptist said, "A man can have nothing unless it is given to him from above." 10% is very minimal and it should be a joy for the believer to give, unless a person is focused on the cares of this world and is busy storing up for themselves treasures that perish. Then, they "can't afford it," which is an admission of a lack of faith really. The church shouldn't be required to give, it should be automatic for those who love God.

Personally, I do not believe tithing is a commandment for the church. However, 10% is a base amount to go off of for my giving to the church. Then, I seek to match at least another 10% helping my neighbor. That isn't always solely monetary, it could be in time. Usually a combination of both. For example, I am a contractor and I will do work on churches and pastor's homes for free. Free, meaning I pay for labor and materials, no cost to them at all. In some cases with widows and the less fortunate, I will only charge them my actual cost. So I give my time and equipment for free. All this is on top of giving at least 10% to the church. That's just how I prefer to operate. It isn't a requirement for you or anyone else.

By the way, my personal finances have grown very rapidly since I began doing these things. Now, I can do even more!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Why do Churches still practice the 10% tithing? Is it a convenience thing? Some churches preach that this IS a command under the New Testament, when this is error. The New Testament states that if we sow sparingly, we will reap sparingly, vice versa, many scriptures to attest to this.

There is a church nearby I attended a few times where the preacher will not talk about giving, all he states is: it is between you and God and he has returned money before when he feels the giving was more out of self motivation (controlling church decisions)They do not do an offering, if you have an offer, you just place it in the box at the back of the church. Are there other churches out there like this?

My questions are: Why still preach the 10% tithing? If you approach it in a different way, maybe the church would be given more than the 10%? I realize there are payroll and other bills, I am not advocating not giving, God has made it abundantly clear for us to give, but why the 10%?

It seems super archaic.

Thanks!
    Actually, the 10% can cause people to give too much. Giving too much means giving to the neglect of yourself and your family. The 10% tithe is often so vague that people think they should give 10% of their *gross* income. That in itself is insane. And some people think they must give 10% of *anything* that they acquire--salary, gifts, agricultural products, rents--everything. That also is wrong.

But yes, just the 10% is wrong because it is *legalism.* It was a requirement under the Law of Moses. Christ fulfilled the Law because not even keeping 99% of the Law could buy human salvation. Salvation was never meant to come by the Law, quite frankly, because *nobody* could keep 100% of the Law!

Is giving good? Yes. Being charitable, and not hoarding to one's self, is good for the soul, and helps others. Helping others helps everybody, including yourself. So this issue should not discourage giving. Giving very small amounts is not what I consider giving. Your whole life should be a form of giving to others, including to yourself.

The Law of Moses had a purpose for having the 10% number. But only God knows what that reason is. What we do know is that He considered it necessary and sufficient for the maintenance of the temple system. We don't have to maintain a temple system today. Today it is a very different system. Today's system requires the support of ministers and buildings of worship, as well as ministries of evangelism, etc. We cannot arrive at a percentage because circumstances are different from one ministry to another, and from one locality to another, and from one congregation to another.

The tithe under the Law was a divine tax on agricultural output. Abraham, however, paid a one-time tithe on war booty, when he delivered his nephew Lot. He paid it to a solitary priest and king, Melchizedek. But we don't pay one-time tithes today--we don't pay any tithes, unless like Abraham we simply choose to do so. Abraham's tithe did not set a precedent. But the Law of Tithe was a *requirement* under the Old Covenant. We don't have that Covenant today.

Many, many pastors think they have to teach the tithe out of fear they will get no support. So they make it a law in order to use guilt as a prod to get people to do what they should be doing, which is support the local church. Many TV evangelists teach principles of prosperity in order to prod people into giving what they should be giving to anyway, which are evangelical missions.

A person simply needs to understand that we live this life as Christians not for ourselves alone, but also for God and for others. In fact, everything we do should be done for God primarily--even what we do for ourselves.

I can't stop people from teaching the 10% Tithe in our church. I do know that it has absolutely wrecked the prosperity of friends and relatives that I know. They've certainly been blessed by God for giving. But they are not blessed financially when they live by principles that they *think* are from God, when they really aren't from God. God isn't responsible for bad teaching in the Church!

I did attend a church some years ago--an independent, charismatic church, which only put a box in the back of the church. No push to give--just notification that the box was in the back of the church if someone wanted to give. That church has really thrived, and has grown far beyond what a very small independent church should've grown. Their prosperity is indicated by the expansive acreage and large-sized church building they have, together with a number of ministries and large attendance.

I agree with you, brother! I'm telling you how I really feel. I guarantee you that even though I quit tithing the 10% since the 70s, and started giving responsibly for real church needs, I have *not* been cursed, as the tithe people warn. On the contrary, I've been, to a moderate degree, financially blessed. There are many ways to give besides giving money, and many projects may be a waste of money. The best way to give is to put God and His Kingdom 1st in your life, and then everything will follow.

Someone who tithes is not out of compliance with the Word, if done cheerfully and someone who does not tithe is not out of compliance with the Word, if giving is done cheerfully. I’ll tell you the reality, 20% of church members are doing 80% of all giving. It’s fairly consistent across all churches. And in threads like this, many will chime in who neither give or even attend a church.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Someone who tithes is not out of compliance with the Word, if done cheerfully and someone who does not tithe is not out of compliance with the Word, if giving is done cheerfully. Iíll tell you the reality, 20% of church members are doing 80% of all giving. Itís fairly consistent across all churches. And in threads like this, many will chime in who neither give or even attend a church.
    Well, I've attended church almost every Sunday of my life, and I'm retired now. And I grew up being taught to pay "the Tithe." Out of my own studies of Paul, I recognized the difference between legalism and charitable Christian giving. Some people have, I think, the "gift of giving."

Yes, a relative few give substantially to support the church. This friend I have and a few others give quite a lot of money, and don't care that others give little to none. They just give because they have a gift in generating income--they do it because they like it and it comes easily. And giving to the church gives them a motive to make more money.

I wish everybody treated their church like they treat their own home finances. Would they spend themselves into debt at home? I hope not. Neither do I think churches should spend beyond the means of the congregation.

Would people at home not pay for their utilities, their groceries, their social media platforms, their home improvements, not make their home and car payments, and just take their losses? I don't think so. Neither should people give less than what's needed to pay for the utilities at the church, the supplies needed for music, sound system, preaching salaries, etc. If people just throw a few dollars in the plate, that isn't Christianity. But neither is the 10% Tithe Christianity.

The bottom line for me is, Christianity is paying enough to meet the collective vision of the church. And it is, at its very core, meeting the basic financial requirements to run the church and its ministries. Financial irresponsibility and letting others pay all the bills is *not* Christianity.

Blog Entries

This question has two separate elements wrapped up in it:
    1) Legalism of tithing
    2) The purpose of giving

As has been noted, to preach tithing as a requirement is introducing legalism into a very important aspect of our Christian walk. Conversely those who do not preach out our responsibility to give is then failing to address and important aspect of our living for Christ. Jesus taught that we are to store up our treasures in heaven - and without understanding what this means, will have a knock on effect on what else we think about finances.

Abraham gave a tithe BEFORE the Law of Moses was introduced, and gave of the possessions of Sodom and Gomorrah, whom he rescued. He then accepted nothing else for himself - Gen 14:20 - 24.
    Hebrews 7 references this event, and has the tithe being as it were to the one who lives.

The purpose though of tithing as against simply giving any amount you care to give was so that you would have a deliberate decision to make which you would abide by. The amount of 10% can be seen as being arbitrary, yet God seems to hold this figure as one which is both possible (it does not lead people into poverty) and suitable. It is of the increase that one has. So to choose an amount which you give purposefully is biblically sound and is better than simply a knee jerk response to a collection plate coming round.
    Practically, though it is easier to give a small weekly amount than to give a large amount once a year. It also makes budgeting for the church, mission and evangelism a lot easier.

It seems super archaic.

Thanks!
    Preaching tithing is big business- May self-appointed so-called Pastors have decided to make their living off the siants - thus the periodic to regular teaching on this subject. The fulfillment of tithing is another matter altogether. But first giving ....

The Tithe of the Law was to taken to Jerusalem and used as follows:
    1. It was to be consumed by the produce himself (Deut.14:22-26)
    2. It was to be consumed by the Levite who had no inheritance in the Land (Deut.14:27-29)
    3. It was to be consumed by the poor (Deut.14:29)
    4. It was to be consumed in Jerusalem at the House of the Lord (Deut.14:23) except the third year

It is at once clear that any preaching on tithes from this is vain.
    1. We Christians are not under the Law
    2. We Christians are ALL Priests (1st Pet.2:5, 9; Rev.1:6, 5:10, 20:6) so should ALL benefit from the tithe
    3. We Christians do not go down to Jerusalem but worship in spirit (Jn.4:23-24)
    4. There is no Temple so the Law of the Tithe cannot be presently fulfilled

So what is the instruction on giving in the new Testament. It is very simple. Romans 8:14 says; "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Every Christian has the Holy Spirit IN their human spirits. From here He rules. We have but ONE Master - The Spirit of Christ. One day He will command that you give nothing. And another day He will command two thirds of your savings. One day you will serve a meal to another, and on another day you buy a widow a car. Because all wealth comes from God, you are a STEWARD of what God has given. Because your investments are to be in heaven, all giving that is commanded by the indwelling Christ is an investment in your account in heaven which the Lord multiplies and gives to you at the Judgement Seat. All giving that is not commanded is "iniquity". You are accountable then for being a rebel-steward.

But there is more. The Tithe does instruct us in the Church life. But it is not about money. The Israelite under Law worked His field and produced his crop. A tithe was the Lord's and to be used as above. The Christian is, in 1st Corinthians Chapter 3, (i) a laborer who plants and waters, (ii) a builder, and (iii) God's field. The Foundation is Christ. That is, a Christian who has a daily time with the Lord is working with the ingredients to build and produce fruit. The first and best tenth is the Lord's. The Israelite must go to "where God put His name" - Jerusalem and the Temple. The Christian goes to the "Meeting" for it is here that God's people gather and it is also God's Temple. And each Christian is to appear at the Meeting with his/her tenth of what they have been working with during the week. It is, in 1 Corinthians 14:3-4, 24, 26 and 31:
    3 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."
    4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."
    24 "But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:"
    26 "How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying."
    31 "For ye may ALL prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted."

In this sequence we have Paul defining a prophet in verse 3 - one who speaks, not necessarily the future, but one who speaks to the Church to build up, comfort and exhort. Then in verse 2 and 5 he wishes that all, or many would prophesy. Verse 4 says that prophet builds the Church. In verse 24 we see that even the unbeliever in the meeting will be converted, NOT by an evangelical message, but by what the prophets speaks. Verse 26 again tells us what prophecy is, a psalm, a teaching, a revelation. And finally verse 31 wish "ALL" would speak these things. WHAT THINGS???

It says "every one of you HATH ... ." What do you HAVE? It is the best part of what your dealings with the Lord have been in the last days. It is your harvest of your prayer and praise and study of His Word. It is the TITHE of your time with God and Christ during the preceding days. You are God's field. And you are planting watering and harvesting says Chapter 3. The INCREASE of your time with God, with Christ and with His Word during the week is your TITHE. And where is it to be brought? TO THE EKKLESIA - to the "GATHERING of the select ones" which make the Temple - the New Testament place where God has put His name (Act.15:14).

The Tithe of the Law is gone. A Christian must give according to the indwelling Spirit. If they give according to the Pastor, according to themselves or yb demand of any otherBut the Tithe of the Law is Type. It is a Type that shows that we must have intimate relations with the "Farmer" and His "Field" and the relationship with bear fruit. And the best a first of this fruit must be brought into the meeting to "EDIFY" the building. And what have the Church leaders done? THEY HAVE BANNED SPEAKING BY "ALL". One, or a few selected speakers, get to address the Church these days. But the small brother at the back, who has spent a fruitful week in the Lord's presence, and who has a word from the Holly Spirit, is NOT allowed to speak.

God says; "For ye may ALL prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." (1st Cor.14:31). The modern Pastor says; "I will decide who speaks and what they speak. And so the REAL TITHE of today is WITHHELD from both God, Priests, widows and the fatherless in spirit.

It seems super archaic.

Thanks!
    I think that church was correct. The 10 percent is the Jewish tithe to support an entire tribe, the Levites, and the temple complex and sacrificial system. Apparently Jews stopped tithing when the temple complex was destroyed in 70 AD.

In the NT only Jesus encouraged tithing, but the complex and all those expenses existed then. Later, in the epistles, there only seem to be collections for specific purposes, and from the heart with no amount stipulated. Generosity is encouraged and 10 percent is probably a good guideline if you are financially comfortable. That preacher's approach to giving seems accurate and refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    This question has two separate elements wrapped up in it:
    1) Legalism of tithing
    2) The purpose of giving

As has been noted, to preach tithing as a requirement is introducing legalism into a very important aspect of our Christian walk. Conversely those who do not preach out our responsibility to give is then failing to address and important aspect of our living for Christ. Jesus taught that we are to store up our treasures in heaven - and without understanding what this means, will have a knock on effect on what else we think about finances.

Abraham gave a tithe BEFORE the Law of Moses was introduced, and gave of the possessions of Sodom and Gomorrah, whom he rescued. He then accepted nothing else for himself - Gen 14:20 - 24.
    Hebrews 7 references this event, and has the tithe being as it were to the one who lives.

The purpose though of tithing as against simply giving any amount you care to give was so that you would have a deliberate decision to make which you would abide by. The amount of 10% can be seen as being arbitrary, yet God seems to hold this figure as one which is both possible (it does not lead people into poverty) and suitable. It is of the increase that one has. So to choose an amount which you give purposefully is biblically sound and is better than simply a knee jerk response to a collection plate coming round.
    Practically, though it is easier to give a small weekly amount than to give a large amount once a year. It also makes budgeting for the church, mission and evangelism a lot easier.
    Some really good points here, FHG! However, I would just say that if a person gives a 10% tithe based on his "gross income" it can and does lead to poverty. I know this by experience. I have a very close associate who is super-conscientious about giving "what God requires,* and believes what God requires is 10% of his "gross income." This has led him to the point where he could not pay his bills on time. He somehow manages to get past these difficulties, and believes that the fact he escapes "debtor's prison" indicates God supported his policy on tithing. But I think it's a bad testimony to get into financial trouble at all, when it can be avoided.

My advice is to accept that you can't always give the full measure you wish to give, and adjust to the circumstances God puts you under. Giving by "gross income" is surely unreasonable, particularly when one has been in business for himself. Can you imagine giving 10% on a 100K Gross Income when your actual Net Income is only 10K?

I do agree that establishing a common amount and giving regularly is a good practice. But putting yourself under a legal obligation is another thing entirely, and can do harm to your spiritual life, when things don't always work out the way you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Well, I've attended church almost every Sunday of my life, and I'm retired now. And I grew up being taught to pay "the Tithe." Out of my own studies of Paul, I recognized the difference between legalism and charitable Christian giving. Some people have, I think, the "gift of giving."

Yes, a relative few give substantially to support the church. This friend I have and a few others give quite a lot of money, and don't care that others give little to none. They just give because they have a gift in generating income--they do it because they like it and it comes easily. And giving to the church gives them a motive to make more money.

I wish everybody treated their church like they treat their own home finances. Would they spend themselves into debt at home? I hope not. Neither do I think churches should spend beyond the means of the congregation.

Would people at home not pay for their utilities, their groceries, their social media platforms, their home improvements, not make their home and car payments, and just take their losses? I don't think so. Neither should people give less than what's needed to pay for the utilities at the church, the supplies needed for music, sound system, preaching salaries, etc. If people just throw a few dollars in the plate, that isn't Christianity. But neither is the 10% Tithe Christianity.

The bottom line for me is, Christianity is paying enough to meet the collective vision of the church. And it is, at its very core, meeting the basic financial requirements to run the church and its ministries. Financial irresponsibility and letting others pay all the bills is *not* Christianity.
    My church has never borrowed a penny and has built three buildings debt free in 7 years. I donít ask anyone to pay anything. Weíve never taken a special or second offering in the history of the church. We donít even pass an offering plate. In two of our weekly services we donít even give people the opportunity to give. God provides when youíre helping people and preaching the gospel.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

My church has never borrowed a penny and has built three buildings debt free in 7 years. I don’t ask anyone to pay anything. We’ve never taken a special or second offering in the history of the church. We don’t even pass an offering plate. In two of our weekly services we don’t even give people the opportunity to give. God provides when you’re helping people and preaching the gospel.
    I *highly* respect that. It would encourage me to give *more,* knowing that the leadership is trusting God both for the vision and for the money for that vision.

My church has never borrowed a penny and has built three buildings debt free in 7 years. I don’t ask anyone to pay anything. We’ve never taken a special or second offering in the history of the church. We don’t even pass an offering plate. In two of our weekly services we don’t even give people the opportunity to give. God provides when you’re helping people and preaching the gospel.
    Amen. That's the truth if I have ever heard it.

Thanks!

I have heard quit a few churches say the same thing about not being in debt, is this something that many churches do? Get into debt?

There are local churches in my area, erecting new buildings, some have grown exponentially in a few years time. There are churches in which the pastor travels via helicopter from one campus to another. Many very wealthy churches, wealthy pastors, etc. As far as I can tell, they do collect money - and a lot of it.

Which brings up another question, a little off topic:

How does a church measure their success?

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post

You probably don't mean to, but regarding your mention of would people not pay their utilities, etc. it makes it sound like another bill we have to pay and I think that is in itself legalism when it comes to giving to the church, right? I would think God would want people to take care of their families first, their doctor bills, car repairs, aging parents. People's bills are not always consistent.

Thanks!

I have heard quit a few churches say the same thing about not being in debt, is this something that many churches do? Get into debt?

There are local churches in my area, erecting new buildings, some have grown exponentially in a few years time. There are churches in which the pastor travels via helicopter from one campus to another. Many very wealthy churches, wealthy pastors, etc. As far as I can tell, they do collect money - and a lot of it.

Which brings up another question, a little off topic:

How does a church measure their success?
    Yes.

Unfortunately, some ( not all ) determine their success based off of their cultures response. The biblical response is how obedient is the body of Christ. How do they submit to the Groom ? As CBH stated - proclaiming the Gospel and meeting needs - are two of the most important mandates of the church, along with equipping the saints.

There are churches meeting in a hut that consist of 6-8 members who are more in the will of God than some mega-churches. And don't misunderstand me, I'm not a mega church basher. Not in the least.

Thread Information