Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: resurrection bodies for the lost?

resurrection bodies for the lost?

I've always believed the resurrection will happen for both the righteous and the unrighteous, for the "saved" and for the "lost." But I've never really thought about what kind of bodies God has prepared for those who choose to not be in fellowship with God, who choose to have both the knowledge of good and the knowledge of evil?

The "lost" will likely maintain the knowledge of good and evil, being created to do good, but also wanting to choose against God's word, if they so choose, and when they choose. What kind of bodies do you think they will have?

Let me say up front that although I believe the Bible, and all it says about the "lost," I don't believe God will ever indulge in long-term torture. God has allowed it in this age, due to the freedoms He has given to man to abuse others. But in the eternal state of affairs, I should think sin will be limited, and that the "lost" will be allowed to continue to do some good, at least when they are not choosing to resist God's word.

Personally, I think the future world for the "lost" will be much like the present world, because today we have the freedom to do good and the freedom to disobey God's word. I just consider that God will limit the ability of people to abuse others. (Certainly in this present world there are regrets and sorrows, as well as anguish and the gnashing of teeth.)

Obviously, this is all in the realm of speculation, and falls outside the orbit of biblical priorities in terms of doctrine. But it may be there somewhere in God's written word. This is what those who have spent a lifetime in the Bible do, in their spare time!

Re: resurrection bodies for the lost?

Hi Randy
    I have found myself wondering if the ungodly dead will actually rise with a body. Resurrection of the body is an act of restoration and healing for the saved.
    Why restore the unsaved body, when the lake of fire is a place that was prepared for the devil and his angels who had no physical body?

Just a thought.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Blog Entries

Spare time, Randyk?
    I am a retired man, but I fill my days very well. Reading, forums, checking on our community water supply system, trapping pest critters, visiting family and people in the local rest home, my home workshop, etc.
    But my main job is writing articles about what God has planned for our future. THAT is the really fascinating and exciting thing and I look forward to participating in it all.

Re: the Great White Throne judgment, I see that those who stand before the Throne, that is everyone who has ever lived, are referred to as 'the dead'. So I do not see them as resurrected or having new bodies at all.
    It seems logical to me that this event will be a spiritual one, where the soul/spirit of every dead individual comes before God for their final destiny.

But we see in 1 Corinthians 15:50-56, that there will be some people still alive at that time, whose names are written in the Book of Life, that will never die; transformed in an instant into immortality.
    Those 'thrown into the Lake of Fire', are annihilated, as I see that as a metaphor for eternal separation from God.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Hi Randy
    I have found myself wondering if the ungodly dead will actually rise with a body. Resurrection of the body is an act of restoration and healing for the saved.
    Why restore the unsaved body, when the lake of fire is a place that was prepared for the devil and his angels who had no physical body?

Just a thought.
    Yes, we were always promised, as a reward, physical restoration--a resurrection to eternal life. But all men live forever, right? So when the wicked rise in the resurrection, surely they have bodies too. They just don't seem to be mentioned, or are they implied?

Dan 12.2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Here, both "awake"--both righteous and wicked. To "awaken" implies a physical resurrection, I should think?

Acts 24.and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

It's interesting that the focus of the resurrection is almost entirely on the "resurrection of the righteous," or the resurrection to Christ-likeness. Very little is said about the resurrection of the ungodly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    Spare time, Randyk?
    I am a retired man, but I fill my days very well. Reading, forums, checking on our community water supply system, trapping pest critters, visiting family and people in the local rest home, my home workshop, etc.
    But my main job is writing articles about what God has planned for our future. THAT is the really fascinating and exciting thing and I look forward to participating in it all.

Re: the Great White Throne judgment, I see that those who stand before the Throne, that is everyone who has ever lived, are referred to as 'the dead'. So I do not see them as resurrected or having new bodies at all.
    It seems logical to me that this event will be a spiritual one, where the soul/spirit of every dead individual comes before God for their final destiny.

But we see in 1 Corinthians 15:50-56, that there will be some people still alive at that time, whose names are written in the Book of Life, that will never die; transformed in an instant into immortality.
    Those 'thrown into the Lake of Fire', are annihilated, as I see that as a metaphor for eternal separation from God.
    Hi Keraz. Thanks for the response. I also am retired, and stay busy in a variety of ways. We've probably done similar things. I don't use the word "annihilation" because for many people that word implies a complete cessation of existence for the wicked. Eternal Punishment implies eternal life for the wicked. So I'm glad you say that "annihilation in the Lake of Fire" is a pure metaphor for eternal separation from God.

I see it a little differently but similarly. I see the Lake of Fire as symbolic of eternal separation of the wicked from the New Earth. However, I do see the wicked as receiving new eternal bodies--just not equipped with the ability to produce the life and righteousness of Christ.

They will most likely be able to do good, since God made all men to be good, having been created in the image of God. But inasmuch as they have wandered from the word of God, and resist it, they will not be able to embrace that goodness within their heart, and will always know their internal separation from the Lord.

This is called "outer darkness," the alienation of the wicked from the constant revelation of God that only belongs to God's People. Their rebellious, wandering ways will be forever removed from the New Earth. And their lives will be confined to a place where they are unable to do evil, even though they *are* evil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Hi Keraz. Thanks for the response. I also am retired, and stay busy in a variety of ways. We've probably done similar things. I don't use the word "annihilation" because for many people that word implies a complete cessation of existence for the wicked. Eternal Punishment implies eternal life for the wicked. So I'm glad you say that "annihilation in the Lake of Fire" is a pure metaphor for eternal separation from God.

I see it a little differently but similarly. I see the Lake of Fire as symbolic of eternal separation of the wicked from the New Earth. However, I do see the wicked as receiving new eternal bodies--just not equipped with the ability to produce the life and righteousness of Christ.

They will most likely be able to do good, since God made all men to be good, having been created in the image of God. But inasmuch as they have wandered from the word of God, and resist it, they will not be able to embrace that goodness within their heart, and will always know their internal separation from the Lord.

This is called "outer darkness," the alienation of the wicked from the constant revelation of God that only belongs to God's People. Their rebellious, wandering ways will be forever removed from the New Earth. And their lives will be confined to a place where they are unable to do evil, even though they *are* evil.
    I just do not see why God would bother to give new bodies to those who rejected Him, their Maker.
    In Nahum 1:15....the wicked are totally destroyed. Many other verses say a similar fate for the ungodly. Job 20, Psalms 1:6b, +

Blog Entries

Yes, we were always promised, as a reward, physical restoration--a resurrection to eternal life. But all men live forever, right? So when the wicked rise in the resurrection, surely they have bodies too. They just don't seem to be mentioned, or are they implied? .
    It seems evident to me that Jesus taught that the BODY of the wicked would be cast into Hell.

Mat 10:28**And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mat 5:29**If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.Mat 5:30**And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    I just do not see why God would bother to give new bodies to those who rejected Him, their Maker.
    In Nahum 1:15....the wicked are totally destroyed. Many other verses say a similar fate for the ungodly. Job 20, Psalms 1:6b, +
    As you can probably tell I would assign a fate less horrible than that advocated by the Medieval painter Bosch. To me, a "good God" does good, despite the failure of men to be good. So to be consistent with His purpose in making all men "good," God would equip even the wicked to continue to do good, even though they are "evil" for having resisted His word in many ways.

Remember that partaking of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil has both good and evil. The wicked are "wicked" precisely because they have chosen to do evil as well as good. They are still capable of doing good. So I believe God equips them to do good, while denying their right to do evil. They are equipped to live outside of fellowship with God, and to thus act independent of God's word in many ways. But in other ways, they are still able to comply with God's word, and to do good.

The eternal punishment of the wicked is thus to *never* be able to live in close proximity with God and with His people. It is to do good without having the benefits of continuous paradise on the new earth. Obviously, this is speculation drawn from the word of God, but not explicit teaching. The word of God does not appear to address this in detail.

I've always believed the resurrection will happen for both the righteous and the unrighteous, for the "saved" and for the "lost." But I've never really thought about what kind of bodies God has prepared for those who choose to not be in fellowship with God, who choose to have both the knowledge of good and the knowledge of evil?

The "lost" will likely maintain the knowledge of good and evil, being created to do good, but also wanting to choose against God's word, if they so choose, and when they choose. What kind of bodies do you think they will have?

Let me say up front that although I believe the Bible, and all it says about the "lost," I don't believe God will ever indulge in long-term torture. God has allowed it in this age, due to the freedoms He has given to man to abuse others. But in the eternal state of affairs, I should think sin will be limited, and that the "lost" will be allowed to continue to do some good, at least when they are not choosing to resist God's word.

Personally, I think the future world for the "lost" will be much like the present world, because today we have the freedom to do good and the freedom to disobey God's word. I just consider that God will limit the ability of people to abuse others. (Certainly in this present world there are regrets and sorrows, as well as anguish and the gnashing of teeth.)

Obviously, this is all in the realm of speculation, and falls outside the orbit of biblical priorities in terms of doctrine. But it may be there somewhere in God's written word. This is what those who have spent a lifetime in the Bible do, in their spare time!
    In my understanding the souls of the unsaved dead are in Hades until the end of the millennium.

They then get resurrected for judgement day, at which time they get thrown into the lake of fire for the second death: as per Rev 20:

13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

What type of bodies do they have when they get resurrected for judgement day? I guess it depends on your interpretation of the destiny of "second death" or to "perish", people seem to differ on what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    In my understanding the souls of the unsaved dead are in Hades until the end of the millennium.

They then get resurrected for judgement day, at which time they get thrown into the lake of fire for the second death: as per Rev 20:

13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

What type of bodies do they have when they get resurrected for judgement day? I guess it depends on your interpretation of the destiny of "second death" or to "perish", people seem to differ on what that means.
    I can't argue with your description because it is entirely Scriptural. And yes, it really has to do with how we perceive such terms as "the Lake of Fire." So I suppose I was asking for what the terms mean to you, as much as what the Scriptures have to say.

My own sense is that it doesn't make any sense for God to raise the ungodly in new bodies if the intention is to dispose of them in an eternal fire? So as far as I can tell, this "fire" has more to do with the removal of placement on the new earth than with burning people alive.

If we have a burn pile to remove a lot of trash from our property, the idea is to remove the trash--not torment the debris or garbage. And that is how I see the "Lake of Fire." It is a removal from the new earth people who are sinful.

It may be that they are simply removed from the New Jerusalem, the large city on the new earth, and from its immediate surroundings? It may be that these "outcasts" will be relegated to lands beyond where they are able to do good and not sin?

In this case, their "eternal torment" will consist, not of eternal torture, but rather, of the eternal loss of intimate fellowship with God and all that that represents. They are already somewhat in that condition, if they have rejected Christ before death. But I don't believe God would allow them to do evil on the new earth, if that's where they will be located.

I can't argue with your description because it is entirely Scriptural. And yes, it really has to do with how we perceive such terms as "the Lake of Fire." So I suppose I was asking for what the terms mean to you, as much as what the Scriptures have to say.

My own sense is that it doesn't make any sense for God to raise the ungodly in new bodies if the intention is to dispose of them in an eternal fire? So as far as I can tell, this "fire" has more to do with the removal of placement on the new earth than with burning people alive.

If we have a burn pile to remove a lot of trash from our property, the idea is to remove the trash--not torment the debris or garbage. And that is how I see the "Lake of Fire." It is a removal from the new earth people who are sinful.

It may be that they are simply removed from the New Jerusalem, the large city on the new earth, and from its immediate surroundings? It may be that these "outcasts" will be relegated to lands beyond where they are able to do good and not sin?

In this case, their "eternal torment" will consist, not of eternal torture, but rather, of the eternal loss of intimate fellowship with God and all that that represents. They are already somewhat in that condition, if they have rejected Christ before death. But I don't believe God would allow them to do evil on the new earth, if that's where they will be located.
    We are somewhat limited in what we are allowed to discuss here, some views are seen as controversial and not allowed on this particular section of this website.

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    We are somewhat limited in what we are allowed to discuss here, some views are seen as controversial and not allowed on this particular section of this website.
    Okay, I'll go to Contro with my response, so that you and others can respond there more freely.
    Last edited by randyk; Jul 28th 2019 at 03:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    It seems evident to me that Jesus taught that the BODY of the wicked would be cast into Hell.

Mat 10:28**And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mat 5:29**If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.Mat 5:30**And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
    Absolutely. The unsaved will have a bodily resurrection but they will receive mortal bodies while the saved have a bodily resurrection that is an immortal body.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

The resurrection of all men is plainly stated. In ...
    John 5:28-29 it is:
    28 "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which ALL that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

1st Corinthians 15:22 it is; "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."

Revelation 20:12-13 it is; "And I saw the dead, small and great, STAND before God; ... and DEATH and HADES delivered up the dead which were in them ... ."

Revelation 21:4 it is; "... and there shall be no more death (on the new earth), ... for the former things are passed away."

By death, the Bible always means physical death. The "Second Death" - perdition, is not cessation of faculties like the physical death, but is "extreme lack of well-being" in a living man (Vine).

The cause of physical death is the inherited fallen nature of Adam, or "SIN" (singular) - Romans 5:12. That is why babies can, and do, die without having sinned (trespassed). According to John 1:29 our Lord Jesus died for the "SIN" (singular) of the world. Thus, God may, at His discretion, raise all men. This is not so much a reward as some think, but because our Lord Jesus "made all things" (John 1:3), is "heir of all things" (Hebrews 1:2), and will "subject all things" (Hebrews 2:8). To the "Prince of Life", Who "was made the Life-giving Spirit", death is a blight and a besmirchment in His creature and inheritance. Thus, it is to be removed.

This removal of physical death sets the scene for the "Second Death". Only a LIVING man can suffer in body and soul at the same time as Matthew 10:28 promises. A dead man cannot feel physical pain. The wording of scripture is plain an unambiguous. Men who actively went against God will suffer "perdition" (lack of well-being) FOR EVER. It is a serious thing to declare oneself, and set oneself against the Living God, Maker, Owner and Glorious God of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Absolutely. The unsaved will have a bodily resurrection but they will receive mortal bodies while the saved have a bodily resurrection that is an immortal body.
    Does this mean you think the Lost will continue to experience pain and death on the New Earth? There does seem to be a distinction between what Christians receive and what nonChristians receive. It does say that there will be no more death or pain in God's Kingdom. But wouldn't this extend over the entire New Earth, including the abode of the wicked? Or do you think the ungodly will be completely removed from the New Earth?

And this raises another question in my mind. If the ungodly live in the "outer darkness," and experience thirst and anguish, does this mean that there is a zone outside of the Kingdom of God on the New Earth where the rules don't apply? We are told that on the New Earth, in the Kingdom of God, there is no more sorrow, pain, or death. This would seem to exclude the ungodly, right?

Thread Information