Thread: Consequences of telling the truth

Consequences of telling the truth

Does a person have the right to destroy others' lives by telling the truth when coming back to Christ?

I believe to live a life of truthfulness is a cornerstone of being a Christian. I also believe that such a thing is also imperative to anyone who has fallen away and wishes to come back, as the resistance to 'coming clean' would be an obstacle and a hindrance to having a personal relationship with God.

But is it fair to confess your sins and be truthful, when doing so - because of the severity and shame of those sins - will have consequences to your loved ones and could destroy their lives? Do I have that right?

How far is too far when wanting to live a life of truth for God?

I've struggled with this for many years, but, for some reason, it's been weighing very heavily these past six or eight months. I'm hoping someone here has a viewpoint I haven't seen or maybe some advice that could help.

Thanks for your time.

Blog Entries

Re: Consequences of telling the truth

Being truthful and following the teaching of Christ starts when you become a believer. I don't see anything about confessing everything you did up until that point of time to anyone but God.
    1 John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

I sure haven't shared all of the awful things I did before becoming a born again believer. What purpose would it serve and who would I even tell those things too? My family? And hurt and upset them, for what reason? Plus I am old enough now I likely don't even remember everything I did. The bible talks about confessing our sins to other Christian but I think that is after we are saved and mess up.

James 5

16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.

Hope that helps.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Confession - to GOD is imperative.

Confession - to other flawed people is conditional.

Let me use a made-up example. Suppose a man cheats on his wife. He is convicted of his sin and he wishes to restore his marriage - if possible.

Who does he have to tell?
    • First of all - God.
    • Second of all - he needs to come clean with his wife. She may or may not know. She may ask details and may not. Because they are one-flesh, details may be healing or may be harming. Counseling will be necessary.
    • Third, anyone who knew of it and was harmed by it. His kids, best friends, family. NO GORY DETAILS. Just an "I haven't been living the way I should be and I know you know. I'm sorry for this hurting you. I'm making amends with God and family. Forgive me. I'm been a stumbling block."

Beyond that - confessing detail-oriented testimonies is not warranted.

Certainly not to people who don't know, don't care, or who are not part of a very inner circle.
    ".....it's your nickel"

I agree with the other brother who said confession to God is integral to receiving forgiveness. On the other hand, sometimes sharing what you did, at the appropriate times, helps others.

So the essential thing is that what you're doing is helping others come to Christ--not driving them away, or shaming them. It is another thing entirely when those ashamed are ashamed because they want to remain in the darkness. I would confess to sins even if others were offended when what offends them is exposing their wrongs. But even this has to be done at the appropriate time and in the appropriate way.

Sometimes it helps *you* to get things out there. There may be justification for doing this out of your own need to get right with God. Baptism is like this. Too bad if it offends others. You're doing it for yourself.

waterloo5099,
    If confessing a sin is going to cause someone grief, don't do it. As long as you're sorry and asked God for forgiveness, you are forgiven. Read Psalm 51.

Thank you all for your advice and input. There are some things I'll need to clarify, but it's late for me now, so give me until the weekend and I'll be back. Thank you, again.

I was busy this weekend and unable to get to the site. I'll post my questions sometime this week. Thanks.

Thread Information