Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does having the 'Mind of Christ' mean?

What does having the 'Mind of Christ' mean?

In Romans 11:34 Paul asks the question

"For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?"

Then in 1 Corinthians 2:16, he repeats the question

"For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ."

But now Paul says we have the mind of Christ, so what does that mean?

Re: What does having the 'Mind of Christ' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post

"For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ."

I think it's important to keep both of these statements in context to the subject of what Paul was discussing.

In Romans 11, Paul was discussing how that God has turned to the gentiles for salvation. But at the same time letting us know that God has not forgotten his chosen people. I think Paul was simply saying that no one knows why God made the choice to harden the hearts of Israel and to turn to the gentiles for salvation. Yet in all of God's ways, Paul was giving the glory to God.

In 1 Corinthians 2, Paul is discussing that through the spirit of God, we will know the mind of Christ. For the Spirit of God teaches us in all things.

So in both scenarios, they do not have the same context.
    The 1st would be like questioning why God made the sun hot. So, "For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?"
    The 2nd is describing that by the spirit of God, we will know the will of God regarding what he expects from us in our lives. God judges all things, yet is he judged by no man. So this is a true statement, "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ."

Blog Entries

Paul is quoting the Old Testament to bring about his point. Romans 11 and 1 Corinthians 2 are talking about two different ideas.

I. In Romans 11, you have to go back to verse 26 and read to the end to see Paul is talking about the "mystery" of Israel's salvation. He inserts a quote from Isaiah and Job:
    • Isaiah 40:13 - "Who has known the Spirit of the Lord, or what man has shown Him his counsel?" One of the Septuagint versions says "Who has known the mind of God".
    • Paul isn't asking a question with this quote of a question. He is quoting it as a declaration and proof that God alone, in his wisdom, not only understands the mystery of salvation, but was the author of it.
    • He also inserts a quote from Job. Job 41:11. This is God speaking. "Who has first given to Me that I should have to repay him?"
    • Here, in this second quoting of a question from the Old Testament, Paul reminds that in the mystery of salvation God is also sovereign over it.

So, in the Romans passage, he uses the two quotes to set up an idea that what he has just explained to the them about the mystery of salvation is God's idea alone - coming from his wisdom and sovereignty alone.

II. In 1 Corinthians 2, he uses one of the same Old Testament scriptures to emphasize something else. Go back to verse 6 and read to the end to see that he is talking about the wisdom of God and who can understand it. He says that only the spiritual man can. The natural man cannot.
    • Note he only uses the Isaiah 40:13 quote. "Who had known the mind of the LORD or who has been made his counselor?"
    • Here - he really is asking a question, not just making a declaration. And he answers Isaiah's question. "We have the mind of Christ", he says. Giving evidence that the spiritual man [saved] can know the wisdom of God, but not the physical man.

Having the "mind of Christ" is explained in Philippians 2:5-8. It's about complete humility and submission to God as Christ did when he came to earth and died on a cross. You and I are not going to die on a cross for the world, but we have to submit to God just like Christ did. It takes a mindset like no other - like only Christ had - to do be able to do that.
    ".....it's your nickel"

It is impossible to know the mind of God apart from divine revelation. Christians have access to that revelation in their lives. They are constantly seeing through the eyes of Christ.

It means humble yourself,

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant Phil.2:5-7

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    It is impossible to know the mind of God apart from divine revelation. Christians have access to that revelation in their lives. They are constantly seeing through the eyes of Christ.
    Amen. Keeping in mine that God's word is divine revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Amen. Keeping in mine that God's word is divine revelation.
    Not sure what your concern is, but I certainly agree with you. I see God's word in 2 ways.
    1) God's word spoken to us on a constant basis, whether through our thoughts, our conscience, or by immediate communication of a message.
    2) God's word as recorded, whether in Scriptures or as a prophecy. Recorded messages, to have much impact, must come to us also through the #1 form of communication.

We are saved so as to have a constant and intimate relationship with God, as well as a meaningful and fulfilling one. Without intercommunication I don't think it's possible to have a meaningful relationship. So we must actually hear from God in some way, even if it is well below direct verbalized communication.

Some of my best moments with the Lord are just looking out over a sunset on a lake, and feeling appreciation in my heart for God's presence. I wish that we all would have at least this form of communication, but also much more.

Not sure what your concern is, but I certainly agree with you. I see God's word in 2 ways.
    1) God's word spoken to us on a constant basis, whether through our thoughts, our conscience, or by immediate communication of a message.
    2) God's word as recorded, whether in Scriptures or as a prophecy. Recorded messages, to have much impact, must come to us also through the #1 form of communication.

We are saved so as to have a constant and intimate relationship with God, as well as a meaningful and fulfilling one. Without intercommunication I don't think it's possible to have a meaningful relationship. So we must actually hear from God in some way, even if it is well below direct verbalized communication.

Some of my best moments with the Lord are just looking out over a sunset on a lake, and feeling appreciation in my heart for God's presence. I wish that we all would have at least this form of communication, but also much more.
    No concern. Just agreement and observation. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    No concern. Just agreement and observation. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.
    No, I appreciate the opportunity to add more!

The we in we have the mind of Christ is referring to the apostles.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    The we in we have the mind of Christ is referring to the apostles.
    Brother, unless you also have the mind of Christ, you have nothing to say. But I do believe you have plenty to say. Therefore, you also have the mind of Christ. When the apostles referred to their having the mind of Christ the inference was that we *all* should have the mind of Christ as Christians.

Jesus began preaching the mind of God , it's called the gospel of the kingdom of God.

Jesus began preaching the mind of God , it's called the gospel of the kingdom of God.

if I want to express my mind to people I might preach my beliefs , my understandings . I might right them down and send out disciples to spread the thinking I taught them....

the mind of Christ is clearly and unequivocally expressed in his teachings , his parables, his commands ....there are four books dedicated to his ministry teachings, his lifestyle , his inner secret explainations to his disciples...his parables ...his gospel of the kingdom of God ....Jesus preached his mind, Paul is referring to the gospel which Jesus commissioned his disciples to go preach to the people, it's why we have the four gospels. Those are the foundational books of the knowledge of Jesus Christ ...the epistles are letters sent to churches established on the gospel teachings of Jesus .

he expressed his mind to us , the Holy Ghost also will always remind us of what Jesus spoke forth in the gospel those same teachings lessons...he imparts wisdom to those who believe his word and seek him in them, this wisdom he imparts changes the mind to operate in the thinking of Christ ....again to be simple the mind of Christ is expressed well in the four gospels were meant to believe him and conform to his teachings until by faith we think after his mind rather than the corrupt mind we sometimes exhibit

A really good , small example of the mind of Christ learning and accepting these things Jesus taught , gives us the mind of Christ...his way of thinking . Note Jesus spent his time teaching the things of God in truth and authority,...

“And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
    **Matthew‬ *5:1-3, 6-9, 21-22, 27-29, 31-32‬ *KJV‬‬

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”
    **Matthew‬ *6:1-15, 19-25, 33-34‬ *KJV‬‬

Jesus taught the mind of Christ.....

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    Yes, but my point is, having the mind of Christ is a matter of receiving God's word intellectually and spiritually. God's word is both information and spirituality. It is otherwise known as "revelation."

When we receive that revelation, we recognize that we have a choice to either live by the mind of Christ or not. To choose to live by the mind of Christ is to choose to live by the revelation of Christ. We thus become like him, and are guided by his Spirit.

Thread Information