Thread: Would your doctrine agree with scripture?

Would your doctrine agree with scripture?

This is just a thought . I believe with all that I am , that our thinking is meant to adjust and conform to the gospel and what is actually written in the scriptures. We understand men held the pen to actually write scripture , but the Holy Ghost is actually the author, whether it is the four accounts of the gospel, the epistles of Paul. Peter, John , James, the book of Hebrews scripture is inspired and given to us by the spirit of God. I think most of us would agree to that being were in a bible chat forum.

my my thought here is does our understanding agree with the understanding written in scripture? And if it doesn't ....are we willing to accept what is there , and form our thoughts around the truth ? So I thought , Peter....I'm positive he had more understanding of the gospel than I do ....so let me look at a section of one of his letters to the church to teach these very things I believe, let me form my understanding of scripture ....by accepting the revelations of Jesus Christ and his apostles...

“Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.(See for example Isaiah 53)

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
    **1 Peter‬ *1:1-25‬ *KJV‬‬

Again , the idea is to inspire thought , am I willing to accept the apostle peters teaching and explaination of things and believe them or do my " views and understandings" actually make no sense if I compare it to the beginning of peters letter? Or really any section of one of the epistolic letters whether Peter , Paul, James , John....it takes a spiritual humility to realize everything we want to know is thoroughly explained and set forth in the bible and there is a bible in every city in the world , in houses among the rural areas In the world ...someone close by has a bible. The challenge is to not " figure it all out" but instead begin to learn the truth of Gods written word....which is what conveys the knowledge God wants us to have ...it's why he purposes it written and preserved for all these centuries, why he has commanded men to speak forth and preach his word since the beginning....why Jesus said his word would be sent to the ends of the earth with the offer of salvation until the end....

Its not a mystery, but a revelation in the New Testament....but until we see Gods word for what it is ....the vehicle by which he sends his spirit into our minds and hearts for salvation....we can never know its value.

God bless consider trying to learn something new when you study scripture , by jist taking in what these great men who carried the commission to teach and preach in the power of Christ , are saying all these many mysterious things actually mean ...it's quite simplified

Re: Would your doctrine agree with scripture?

The epistles I feel are sometimes misunderstood in that they are letter sent by the apostles , to correct thinking in the churches abroad, these men like Peter who walked with Jesus on the water , who stood with him on the mount of transfiguration, hearing Gods voice say " this is my son hear him" people like Paul who was miraculously converted from an enemy destroying the church , to the great apostle so many love dearly...a man stricken blind , and then given sight, men who healed people by the power of the Holy Ghost like Jesus did even raising the dead.... These guys aren't extending a mystery to us .....they are explaining and revealing the mysteries of the prophets, and the law which were previously hidden , but now revealed in Christ through the gospel ....which he preached and then anointed men to carry on his ministry to the whole world...and thier words have reached us 1900 years plus later we know what Peter, Paul. John , James ...even Jesus taught his believers...the church .

the gospel has lost nothing , like many things men tend to degrade and corrupt good things , false doctrines do this very thing to the gospel....there's a reason God had all of these things written down and organized and spread through the world....so we don't have to figure out anything, we don't have to rely on mans intent and his word , we have even now the truth that doesn't change....

The understanding words is how we convey knowledge to one another , Gods word does the same thing to us, it imparts and conveys knowledge, his knowledge into our minds and hearts because ....of course of faith we believe God.

look what peters other letter says as it begins regarding what we receive through the knowledge of God

“Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.”
    **2 Peter‬ *1:1-11‬ *KJV‬‬

the epistles are revelation and instruction to the church

My thinking tells me it's best to learn from these things , if I don't agree with Peter ...if I can't agree with Paul's doctrine ...if what Jesus taught is opposite of my thought ....it isn't the bible which needs to change, but my own understanding is meant to be changed by the knowledge God conveys to us through his word all based upon faith , faith believes God. So his word is acceptable into my belief.

we can argue over what one scripture means , or examine and learn from the truth which has been the same since these men wrote it down , and is promised to never change even after heaven and earth pass away.....it seems as if God has spoken to mankind and sent his word out to all people through the ages , and declared this is how you live forever.....and this is how you will die......choose life .

What I have found is when we learn from these men we find thier message is consistent and the same Jesus died for our sins, was raised to life the third day, was taken into heaven and seated at the right hand of God...where he intercedes for us as high priest , having entered into the holy place with God in the true heavenly temple, having offered his own blood as atonement for all sin forever. Therefore his word is our faith , his teachings and commands, lessons and guidance is our faith , what we believe and how we strive to live .

none of us are perfect I'm convinced but we can center our minds and hearts on learning from the lord accepting it's truth and conforming our lives which were off course , and begin getting back on the path of eternal life . We can set our will to learn and grow in our knowledge of the savior Jesus. We can decide we are just going to begin walking in new things in our life in the ways and attitudes he teaches us to walk in. Really that's what the gospel is its. Ot a rule book, but an attitude, a spirit , a way of life. Something that applies in daily life not rigorous rituals , but rather how we treat other people sits at the core of it All.

do I do good to others who need help? Or do I steal from people ? Do I treat men like neighbors or enemies? Will I see someone in great need and walk on by pretending not to see them? Or will I follow Jesus ways as the Good Samaritan and go out of my way to help ? Am I willing to share with the needy who I encounter in life? Or do I love money and possessions more ? Will I bear grudges and take revenge because of things like pride, hate Unforgiveness? Will I quote " the bible says an eye for an eye" ....or will I follow Jesus teachings forgive, make amends in a dispute, be merciful, don't judge, don't condemn , do not take revenge but revenge belongs to God....?

it's a spirit , a nature, a way of living, not a list but a way of looking at life, one another, God, mankind, what is important and what is not....a way of perceiving as God would have us see things ....this happens throug his word, through the knowledge he conveys to us. Telling us of things we cannot see with our eyes , heaven,y things , spiritual things but we believe by his word explaining and giving us discernment of things we do see and touch and know....

Gods word truly does change hearts and minds changes thoughts and intents within us as we accept and believe it. Also it is Gods judgement.... ( quick means alive or living....

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.”
    **Hebrews‬ *4:12-13‬ *KJV‬‬

what God has said is what matters regarding salvation, it's why he has sent out his word to the world, salvation lies within I would say to any Christian beware of what people explain if the scriptures don't say the things thier explaining. I could devise a plan of salvation different from Gods....but it would lead people astray and to death...I'm convinced the bible explains and interprets itself and the epistles need no interpretation only faith

There might come a time in our lives, after we've 1st accepted the Gospel, that we have to decide whether all the Scriptures are the inspired word of God. Initially we hear that all 66 books are reliable, and we receive that testimony from a large consensus of trusted men, not just in our time, but also in history.

So we look at the Scriptures themselves, and find that all describe the same experience of the same God, with the same moral characteristics from one book to another. And the historical account indicates a divine strategy in history, developed through promises and through the fulfillment of those same promises--something only God could do.

It all results in Jesus Christ, the redeemer of mankind and the source of that spiritual and legal redemption. And so, we experience the very thing that we see was promised to us in the Scriptures. And we find they're reliable, inasmuch as we can understand them.

But we also find that understanding them in detail is a big project, and yet worthy of the effort. Personally, it's taken me a lifetime to understand the doctrines of the Scriptures. But all of them are centered on our experience of Christ. And that's the most important part in all of our endeavors to know God's word.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    There might come a time in our lives, after we've 1st accepted the Gospel, that we have to decide whether all the Scriptures are the inspired word of God. Initially we hear that all 66 books are reliable, and we receive that testimony from a large consensus of trusted men, not just in our time, but also in history.

So we look at the Scriptures themselves, and find that all describe the same experience of the same God, with the same moral characteristics from one book to another. And the historical account indicates a divine strategy in history, developed through promises and through the fulfillment of those same promises--something only God could do.

It all results in Jesus Christ, the redeemer of mankind and the source of that spiritual and legal redemption. And so, we experience the very thing that we see was promised to us in the Scriptures. And we find they're reliable, inasmuch as we can understand them.

But we also find that understanding them in detail is a big project, and yet worthy of the effort. Personally, it's taken me a lifetime to understand the doctrines of the Scriptures. But all of them are centered on our experience of Christ. And that's the most important part in all of our endeavors to know God's word.

yes brother , I think it's important to,pray and seek understanding that way , we have the author of those scriptures living on the inside of us if we can learn how to hear his voice . I think that all things that are good and pure such as understanding of Gods word , come from God to the ones who are thirsting for it and knocking upon the door, seeking asking ...Gods desire is that we understand it , but also brother what you said about our experience in Christ being important to each of us ....God doesn't give us understanding we can't handle and live up to because that's what we're needing to do is live up to press towards, strive to reach the understanding he has given us at different times in our lives ..

when I was 18 I wasn't ready to understand everything I did at 30 , and at thirty I wasn't ready to understand everything I did at 40 ....and so on. I believe Jesus mediates a one on one personal relationship with God and the believer, and he knows our every fiber , sometimes he doesn't give us knowledge that will destroy us because we can't yet accept and live it....

we're accountable only for our own understanding according to the gospel....it's why we cannot judge another's salvation only Jesus can do this and he will when the time has come

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    yes brother , I think it's important to,pray and seek understanding that way , we have the author of those scriptures living on the inside of us if we can learn how to hear his voice . I think that all things that are good and pure such as understanding of Gods word , come from God to the ones who are thirsting for it and knocking upon the door, seeking asking ...Gods desire is that we understand it , but also brother what you said about our experience in Christ being important to each of us ....God doesn't give us understanding we can't handle and live up to because that's what we're needing to do is live up to press towards, strive to reach the understanding he has given us at different times in our lives ..

when I was 18 I wasn't ready to understand everything I did at 30 , and at thirty I wasn't ready to understand everything I did at 40 ....and so on. I believe Jesus mediates a one on one personal relationship with God and the believer, and he knows our every fiber , sometimes he doesn't give us knowledge that will destroy us because we can't yet accept and live it....

we're accountable only for our own understanding according to the gospel....it's why we cannot judge another's salvation only Jesus can do this and he will when the time has come
    I agree with you. But think about it. God presently manages every being in the universe simultaneously. He manages, in fact, every molecule, every atom, in the universe at once. His brain is so big that He can talk down to each one of us personally and compassionately, without worrying about running out of time.

What He chooses to give us is the product of a divine mind. We will never be able to anticipate anything other than it will be driven by His good character. We just need to go along for the ride. Drive carefully and worshipfully!

I agree with you. But think about it. God presently manages every being in the universe simultaneously. He manages, in fact, every molecule, every atom, in the universe at once. His brain is so big that He can talk down to each one of us personally and compassionately, without worrying about running out of time.

What He chooses to give us is the product of a divine mind. We will never be able to anticipate anything other than it will be driven by His good character. We just need to go along for the ride. Drive carefully and worshipfully!

umm well again the bible says were suppose to seek after God , strive toward the goal , repent , obey learn , grow..ect....Gods very good , loves us immensely, it's why he sent Jesus to save us. Everything to save man has been done already ....the question we face is do we believe what God has done ? And maybe just as important do we find ourselves removing the urgency and godly fear real doctrine brings.

I've notice presently in the world view the church is removing the doctrine of eternal judgement , and the end of this earth completely , along with the promise of the new things of eternity. Even the eternal fires ....when we remove doctrine that's meant to warn and instill godly defeat in a believer to move them toward action and repentance , we're doing a dis service to the Christian .

I've heard pastors say " we need to make the message of the gospel attractive to people so they'll accept it better" .....to me this is simple heresy what's being said is " let's not mention anything that night convict or subject the believer to repentance and obedience or change ...lets just tell them Jesus died for all thier sins and thier now saved ...

i often ponder to myself alone when I hear and read some of these new age sympathy and p.c. First doctrines in the world and wonder how many Christians will be led to hell by false doctrine because we feel we need to make it more attractive? You'd think we have the idea that we can save anyone or we have a different way of salvation that's better than what Jesus Christ said is salvation...not Paul only , not Peter only , not John only ....but what Jesus Christ said , is salvation. We need to get back to sharing the things IN the bible .

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    umm well again the bible says were suppose to seek after God , strive toward the goal , repent , obey learn , grow..ect....Gods very good , loves us immensely, it's why he sent Jesus to save us. Everything to save man has been done already ....the question we face is do we believe what God has done ? And maybe just as important do we find ourselves removing the urgency and godly fear real doctrine brings.

I've notice presently in the world view the church is removing the doctrine of eternal judgement , and the end of this earth completely , along with the promise of the new things of eternity. Even the eternal fires ....when we remove doctrine that's meant to warn and instill godly defeat in a believer to move them toward action and repentance , we're doing a dis service to the Christian .

I've heard pastors say " we need to make the message of the gospel attractive to people so they'll accept it better" .....to me this is simple heresy what's being said is " let's not mention anything that night convict or subject the believer to repentance and obedience or change ...lets just tell them Jesus died for all thier sins and thier now saved ...

i often ponder to myself alone when I hear and read some of these new age sympathy and p.c. First doctrines in the world and wonder how many Christians will be led to hell by false doctrine because we feel we need to make it more attractive? You'd think we have the idea that we can save anyone or we have a different way of salvation that's better than what Jesus Christ said is salvation...not Paul only , not Peter only , not John only ....but what Jesus Christ said , is salvation. We need to get back to sharing the things IN the bible .
    Nicely said. I agree with it all. Yes, the world is bad, and getting worse, I think. And the church is getting pulled along with it. Christianity is still alive, but in some places is getting weaker, and more compromised. Those who love and seek God will find an answer to this trend from God Himself. The word will burn in our hearts, driving us to repel all attack from the enemy. We'll develop more zeal, and be more hungry to serve God. It will always be just a relative few. But these few will, I think, lead the way back for many more.

Nicely said. I agree with it all. Yes, the world is bad, and getting worse, I think. And the church is getting pulled along with it. Christianity is still alive, but in some places is getting weaker, and more compromised. Those who love and seek God will find an answer to this trend from God Himself. The word will burn in our hearts, driving us to repel all attack from the enemy. We'll develop more zeal, and be more hungry to serve God. It will always be just a relative few. But these few will, I think, lead the way back for many more.
    amen bro,

until the end the gospel will save those who believe....

Thread Information