Thread: Blood of atonement

Blood of atonement

"For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.”
    **Leviticus‬ *17:11‬ *KJV‬‬

the blood of atonement represents the life that was sacrificed to shed the blood. This sacrifice is meant to propitiate the demand of death for sin. This is necessary because to sin is to die by Gods word.

“Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
    **Ezekiel‬ *18:4‬ *KJV‬

a soul is known here a body of flesh , filled with a living spirit , is a living soul.

“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
    **Genesis‬ *2:7‬ *KJV‬‬

So we understand each human is a living soul. We have a body of flesh , and a spirit which is the living part of man which came out from God.....but we know also

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
    **Romans‬ *3:23‬ *KJV‬‬

God has declared the soul who sins shall die , and also has declared rightfully all have sinned ....so then we understand...

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
    **Romans‬ *5:12‬ *KJV‬‬

so all have sin and all are condemned to death of our soul both body and spirit by Gods word in the first testament this applying to all people not only the Jews .

“What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”
    **Romans‬ *3:9-10‬ *KJV‬‬

so both Jew and gentile are condemned to death , because of sin. things seem gloomy no? but then the atonement.....

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man....

....Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. "
    Hebrews‬ *2:9-11, 14-15, 17KJV‬‬

Rememner that's what a high priest does in scripture pertaining to atonement, he makes with blood , atonement for the sins of the people.

The point of this regarding atonement is this tells us why Jesus came and died, why he was behoved to offer his own life in our place to God. Because if he had not we mankind , would have remained in death, because our sins could never have been remitted and forgiven. Remembering "the life in the blood is what makes atonement for the soul" You see the principle sin requires the payment of death because God said it , this is a law .

If there is sin , the shedding of life to appease deaths legal claim is required to fulfill Gods word " the soul that sins shall die" but Jesus became the propitiation for our sins which require death. This also is the reason Death had no right to hold Jesus , because he had no sin of his own , death had no claim upon him. Because death is only a result of sin upon a sinner.

Jesus dying for,our sins , allows Gods word of death for sin to be fulfilled as it must, without killing the sinner, allowing for mercy and repentance of the sinner, otherwise 1 sin and all are lost and could never repent and be saved. of course a vague pre type of this was established in the mosaic law , dealing with the blood of spotless animals , pointing to the blood which truly atones for sin to be shed by Jesus on the cross at Calvary.

“For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”
    **Matthew‬ *26:28‬ *KJV‬‬

" But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.”
    **Romans‬ *5:8-11‬ *KJV‬‬

so then we can understand yes sin is death and yes all have sinned and are condemned, but God has done this for us through Jesus Christ

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”
    **Romans‬ *3:23-25‬ *KJV

Just that statement says so much ....

we can look further and deeper into this if we wish and learn more

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful who has promised....
    **Hebrews‬ *10:10, 12, 14-20, 22-23‬ *KJV

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.....

“And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.”
    **Exodus‬ *24:8‬ *KJV‬‬

....And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.”
    **Hebrews‬ *9:14-18, 22‬ *KJV‬‬

notice the recurring theme "'purge our conscience" we're being told here clearly if you believe that Jesus died as a propitiation for your sins , if you will repent , you are forgiven forever , and your sins will not be counted against you, you will not be held in death not come into condemnation, and we need to acceptance grasp that because as long as we remember who we were we can't be who we are. We have to forget through the death of Christ our past sins and move on from them...we can't carry sins we have already been forgiven for , we can't pay for sins that were already remitted....this is possible because Jesus already paid the debt for your sins , and Jesus suffered greatly. Our allegiance is to his words who shed his blood.

to propitiate for,us , and redeem us from the power of death wherein we were held, Jesus left the glory of the fathers side , came to become one of us , for the purpose of suffering for what we have done wrong .

He was not only crucified , the King of glory was spit on by the Jewish council, falsely accused and condemned by the priests of the law, was mocked and slapped by them. He was led then to the Gentiles where he was whipped in the infamously brutal Roman fashion , was mocked again wore a crown of thorns and scarlet robe while they beat him and mocked him, and again spit on our lord and savior .

then he was led through the streets of Jerusalem , just outside the city walls , stripped naked before all bearing the shame of man, then had nails driven through his hands and feet where he was lifted high , mocked even more , insulted more, where he hung by those nails in his hands and feet, for six hours in our shame and condemnation for our sins .

his blood ran down the rugged cross , his mother watching her son in shame and agony. His whipped , battered and broken body barely gathering air to breath as he suffocates to death, eventually he dies saying " it is finished"

and so this then makes sense when we here the beautiful simplicity of Jesus died for,our sins , and has offered us eternal life in a new and perfect world he promised to create when he returns....Jesus died because it was the only way to save mankind from the condemnation of death for sin and he'll for the spirit.....based on the first principle sin is death.

finally ...

‬‬" Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
    **Hebrews‬ *13:20-21‬ *KJV‬‬

we don't have to be who we've always been , because we're. It perfect and have sinned yes , and sin is death yes , but we have a glorious hero who came and stepped in to save us , who layed down his life for us....for the purpose of reconciling us to God , before Jesus mans relationship with God was broken needing a mediator....

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

consider the truth that your sins have been atoned for and remitted and there is an offer of eternal salvation and promises we can't even fathom of new heavens and a new earth to come extended to you by God himself....

God bless

Re: Blood of atonement

This is an awful long discussion, not really inviting a response. But I will just put the subject into my own words--how I understand it, as it particularly impacts me. Jesus came to live the life of obedience of Man, the Spirit-led life, as opposed to the autonomous life Adam and Eve chose to engage in when they disobeyed God. Adam and Eve did not, of course, choose to live completely apart from God, but chose to decide, within themselves, when they should obey God and when they didn't have to. As such, they were both obedient and defiled. They lost legal rights to eternal fellowship with God.

Jesus came, as I said, to show proper obedience to God all the time. As such, he exposed the autonomous nature of Man, the "flesh," and suffered the abuses of the world's choice for the flesh and against the way of the Spirit. Those who live by the flesh persecute those who live by the Spirit.

In suffering this, and in forgiving those who repent, Jesus provided legal means to give God's Spirit as a token of that forgiveness. This enabled us to put on his undefiled spirituality without any record of wrong-doing. Taking of his pure nature qualifies us to be seen as God sees him, and not as we deserve in our flesh. It also enables us to continually obtain forgiveness for sins we continue to commit, on the same basis of repentance.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    This is an awful long discussion, not really inviting a response. But I will just put the subject into my own words--how I understand it, as it particularly impacts me. Jesus came to live the life of obedience of Man, the Spirit-led life, as opposed to the autonomous life Adam and Eve chose to engage in when they disobeyed God. Adam and Eve did not, of course, choose to live completely apart from God, but chose to decide, within themselves, when they should obey God and when they didn't have to. As such, they were both obedient and defiled. They lost legal rights to eternal fellowship with God.

Jesus came, as I said, to show proper obedience to God all the time. As such, he exposed the autonomous nature of Man, the "flesh," and suffered the abuses of the world's choice for the flesh and against the way of the Spirit. Those who live by the flesh persecute those who live by the Spirit.

In suffering this, and in forgiving those who repent, Jesus provided legal means to give God's Spirit as a token of that forgiveness. This enabled us to put on his undefiled spirituality without any record of wrong-doing. Taking of his pure nature qualifies us to be seen as God sees him, and not as we deserve in our flesh. It also enables us to continually obtain forgiveness for sins we continue to commit, on the same basis of repentance.

um yea it's long, and was more an invite to discuss scripture concerning the subject of atonement , in the scriptures , meaning what the scriptures explain it to mean ....

I agree with the final paragraph there , it's just generalized and summary of some of the things in the op.

I like the point Of course based on repentance we can be forgiven yesterday , today and even tomorrow , but repentance is indeed the requirement but then , see , repentance becomes the subject....what actually is repentance ? What does scripture say of that ? Again it says many many things ....which leads to longer posts ....How does one who is prone by nature to be tempted and sin through our flesh , repent? .........this information the how's and whys ...the understanding of general statements is in the epistles brother. It's thier purpose to explain what things in the gospel mean in detail.

yes I actually love that last paragraph . The legality portion. There is one eternally true principle , whatever Gods speaks is upon man law and cannot fail to come into being. So when he declared that " sin is a death sentance upon the sinner , then this must be fulfilled eternally.

what Godnhas done for us who have sinned ,mans therefore have come under the law of sin and death, he has given Jesus Christ , a perfect man without sin, to die for this requirement upon each sinner. Because Jesus has done this , the legality of Gods word has been fulfilled God declared that man shall die for thier sins....he has provided a sin sacrifice , as they did on the day of atonement , one to bear sins of the people, the other to die for sins of the people...Jesus both bore our sins , and died for them , his death was the true day of atonement for sin.

because Jesus has willingly given his life to save man , all of creation belongs to him . It was already condemned , and he came to save and redeem . He fulfilled the legality of death upon sinners, in order that we may repent and be baptized into this death for sin, and therefore experience the remission of sins , not only Forgivness but a quickening of spirit and weakening of flesh.

so many Christians struggle with sin , because we don't know that the bible lays out the oath for overcoming it....

subjects like " atonement" according to the blood of Christ are central to understand .and doctrine is built upon subjects like atonement .... If we never really know that our sins are truly remitted through Christ , if we never understand that this happened only because he gave his life , only because he shed his own blood in order to legally forgive us for sin, if we never know when he was raised from the dead , he was taken up to the right hand of God , where he shed forth the Holy Ghost into the earth for mankind, if we never hear the doctrine about receiving the Holy Spirit m about what baptism of water means , about what the term means biblically atonement ....then we can never believe the right things that will lead us where we need to be ....

See the things in the op discussed and shared from scripture , lets us better understand things like this...

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”
    **1 John‬ *1:7-10‬ *KJV‬‬

see there we now have looked a little at the bloods meaning ....but now ...what exactly does it mean to " walk in the light"?....so that the blood will cleans our sins if we don't deny them but rather acknowledge and confess them....it's not just the blood .....there's "the light"

To understand that Jesus was reconciling us to God through his blood helps us understand things like this more

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:”

**Ephesians‬ *1:3, 6-10‬ *KJV

we grow continually in knowledge and understanding when we seek

Jesus was obedient even though Gods will took him to the cross he obeyed , but the purpose of his death was there in scripture why he ever became a man ..

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man....

....Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are
    tempted.”
    **Hebrews‬ *2:9-11, 14-15, 17-18‬ *KJV‬‬

behoved means " it was necessary" he was made because man had been condemned to death, he was made to die in our place , to " taste death for every man" in order to destroy the power of Satan which is the sin we need remitted which keeps us bound to death....

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    um yea it's long, and was more an invite to discuss scripture concerning the subject of atonement , in the scriptures , meaning what the scriptures explain it to mean ....

I agree with the final paragraph there , it's just generalized and summary of some of the things in the op.

I like the point Of course based on repentance we can be forgiven yesterday , today and even tomorrow , but repentance is indeed the requirement but then , see , repentance becomes the subject....what actually is repentance ? What does scripture say of that ? Again it says many many things ....which leads to longer posts ....How does one who is prone by nature to be tempted and sin through our flesh , repent? .........this information the how's and whys ...the understanding of general statements is in the epistles brother. It's thier purpose to explain what things in the gospel mean in detail.

yes I actually love that last paragraph . The legality portion. There is one eternally true principle , whatever Gods speaks is upon man law and cannot fail to come into being. So when he declared that " sin is a death sentance upon the sinner , then this must be fulfilled eternally.

what Godnhas done for us who have sinned ,mans therefore have come under the law of sin and death, he has given Jesus Christ , a perfect man without sin, to die for this requirement upon each sinner. Because Jesus has done this , the legality of Gods word has been fulfilled God declared that man shall die for thier sins....he has provided a sin sacrifice , as they did on the day of atonement , one to bear sins of the people, the other to die for sins of the people...Jesus both bore our sins , and died for them , his death was the true day of atonement for sin.

because Jesus has willingly given his life to save man , all of creation belongs to him . It was already condemned , and he came to save and redeem . He fulfilled the legality of death upon sinners, in order that we may repent and be baptized into this death for sin, and therefore experience the remission of sins , not only Forgivness but a quickening of spirit and weakening of flesh.

so many Christians struggle with sin , because we don't know that the bible lays out the oath for overcoming it....

subjects like " atonement" according to the blood of Christ are central to understand .and doctrine is built upon subjects like atonement .... If we never really know that our sins are truly remitted through Christ , if we never understand that this happened only because he gave his life , only because he shed his own blood in order to legally forgive us for sin, if we never know when he was raised from the dead , he was taken up to the right hand of God , where he shed forth the Holy Ghost into the earth for mankind, if we never hear the doctrine about receiving the Holy Spirit m about what baptism of water means , about what the term means biblically atonement ....then we can never believe the right things that will lead us where we need to be ....
    Repentance, in itself, is a good subject because it falls short in explaining how this translates into Salvation, while at the same time it does explain how we receive it. Many can repent of their sins, but what enables them to obtain Salvation?

For me, it is more than regretting your sins--much more, it is receiving Christ himself as the spiritual source for our living. We embrace not just Christ's way, but we also embrace his life. Repentance in effect means that we receive Christ's spirituality in place of our carnality. Repentance leads to Christ's spirituality, and thus to eternal life.

Yes, Christ not only forgave our sins, he *died,* forgiving our sins. The death itself was necessary because it represents the resistance of carnal men to the ways of the Spirit. It represents what men do to themselves when they sin--namely, they cause themselves to die.

Though there was no carnality in Jesus, his choice to live among carnal men, while always living in the way of the Spirit, caused him to suffer what carnal men do to themselves, which is to oppose God's ways and die. He chose to do this so that he could grant his spirituality to them when they repent of their carnality and adopt his own spirituality.

Jesus obtained the world back for Man because he was, as God, the source of spirituality and life for Man. And as a Man he possessed a spirituality that was fit for Man. This spiritual life is eternal life when it has been given to Man as an eternal gift. And Christ has done that for those who have repented, and have adopted his spirituality as their own basis of living.

In choosing the life and spirituality of Christ we obtain eternal life through his forgiveness. Through repentance we simply choose to adopt his spirituality over our own carnality.

Repentance, in itself, is a good subject because it falls short in explaining how this translates into Salvation, while at the same time it does explain how we receive it. Many can repent of their sins, but what enables them to obtain Salvation?

For me, it is more than regretting your sins--much more, it is receiving Christ himself as the spiritual source for our living. We embrace not just Christ's way, but we also embrace his life. Repentance in effect means that we receive Christ's spirituality in place of our carnality. Repentance leads to Christ's spirituality, and thus to eternal life.

Yes, Christ not only forgave our sins, he *died,* forgiving our sins. The death itself was necessary because it represents the resistance of carnal men to the ways of the Spirit. It represents what men do to themselves when they sin--namely, they cause themselves to die.

Though there was no carnality in Jesus, his choice to live among carnal men, while always living in the way of the Spirit, caused him to suffer what carnal men do to themselves, which is to oppose God's ways and die. He chose to do this so that he could grant his spirituality to them when they repent of their carnality and adopt his own spirituality.

Jesus obtained the world back for Man because he was, as God, the source of spirituality and life for Man. And as a Man he possessed a spirituality that was fit for Man. This spiritual life is eternal life when it has been given to Man as an eternal gift. And Christ has done that for those who have repented, and have adopted his spirituality as their own basis of living.

In choosing the life and spirituality of Christ we obtain eternal life through his forgiveness. Through repentance we simply choose to adopt his spirituality over our own carnality.
    it's about the word brother, that's where the spirit comes from. It's why Jesus sent out his words into the world as a witness , his teachings out to all nations . There is no spirit of God that doesn't come how Jesus taught it comes to us is the thing. His word is the vehicle by which the spirit gets into our minds and hearts.

when your saying " accept the spiritual life of Christ " I'm not sure what that actually means brother practically , like if I was a new believer and asked " what does it mean to take on the spiritual life of Christ and be one with him spiritually ect like you are saying there....

How would you explain the practicality of what your saying there about that? Like what does it actually mean ? I may just be mis understanding you . I'm not sure what you mean by live the spiritual life and take on his spiritual life....practically biblically I mean what does that mean

yes repentance is a good subject. One might see it as " well you just stop sinning" another might think " well you feel bad for your sin, and try to do better" another might argue it means " a change of mind" still another might interpret the word to mean something else .....this is what I've been meaning , the bible doesn't contradict and offer 8 views of a subject , rather scripture nails down and thoroughly explains each subject, such as baptism , or repentance ect. We simply need to seek it prayerfully and believe what we find there , we don't have to have any special skill or power , we can have the faith of little children and just hear , and believe because our Gid said it and we trust him fully ....we have faith.

like Abraham , God told him get up,and leave here and I'll bless you and multiply your descendants and make you great " ....Abram had faith , he believed that what God said was true. So he moved with faith , packed his belongings and set out obeying Gods word , not yet even knowing where he was to go .......that's faith , simple faith .

It doesn't need anything but the belief " God said that if I do these things , he will give me eternal life " in our case it's eternal life . God from the start has given man instructions for life , and warnings of the things which will cause death. Every Christians answer is to find out what Jesus really taught and said concerning eternal life , salvation ect and believe it and have faith and move knowing it is certain.

Thread Information