Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water baptism

water baptism

I was water baptized yesterday! The Pastor spoke the words then I took my hearing devices off then was submerged. But when I came out, I didn't feel anything different nor felt an "experience". Should I be worried about that? The Restoration House church which is pentecostal and many speak in tongues but I don't speak in tongues. Should I worry about that too? One christian girl told me when she was water baptized she said she saw a bright light like everything was bright when she came up from submersion. I didn't experience that. I think about those in Acts who were filled with the Holy Spirit and were filled with joy and spoke in tongues. I'm like why am I not experiencing this??? Then I think about predestination in Ephesians 1 and in Matthew 20:15- "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?" Accepting predestination and how that comforts me but now I begin to doubt about my salvation if I'm not among the elect. These great christians were like super great christians, oh how spiritual they are and speaking in tongues and how they worship with greatness and I'm not like them and with my hearing troubles I have to watch the screen just to see the words on what they are singing.

Re: water baptism

By the way, this is a new church I've been going to.

I was water baptized yesterday! The Pastor spoke the words then I took my hearing devices off then was submerged. But when I came out, I didn't feel anything different nor felt an "experience". Should I be worried about that?
    No, it is an act of obedience and submission to Christ, representative of Christ's death , burial , and resurrection. It does not save.

The Restoration House church which is pentecostal and many speak in tongues but I don't speak in tongues. Should I worry about that too?
    Absolutely not.
    One christian girl told me when she was water baptized she said she saw a bright light like everything was bright when she came up from submersion. I didn't experience that. I think about those in Acts who were filled with the Holy Spirit and were filled with joy and spoke in tongues. I'm like why am I not experiencing this???
    The question is why do others experience things like that. Your version of baptism is completely normal. Theirs on the other hand , is not. I'm not denying it could happen... it's just not the norm.

Then I think about predestination in Ephesians 1 and in Matthew 20:15- "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?" Accepting predestination and how that comforts me but now I begin to doubt about my salvation if I'm not among the elect. These great christians were like super great christians, oh how spiritual they are and speaking in tongues and how they worship with greatness and I'm not like them and with my hearing troubles I have to watch the screen just to see the words on what they are singing.
    Someone who leans Calvanistic going to a Pentecostal church... I love it.

Thank you Pbminimum. Your post comforts me. Now I feel comforted.

By the way, Pbminimum, since you mention Calvinism, I really do love Charles Spurgeon. Though he was a baptist but he strongly supported Calvinism too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr King View Post
    By the way, Pbminimum, since you mention Calvinism, I really do love Charles Spurgeon. Though he was a baptist but he strongly supported Calvinism too lol.
    Spurgeon was a fantastic, anointed pastor. One of my favorite writings of his is The Soul Winner. It's worth noting that what Spurgeon did 100 plus years ago still works today.

I was water baptized yesterday! The Pastor spoke the words then I took my hearing devices off then was submerged. But when I came out, I didn't feel anything different nor felt an "experience". Should I be worried about that? The Restoration House church which is pentecostal and many speak in tongues but I don't speak in tongues. Should I worry about that too? One christian girl told me when she was water baptized she said she saw a bright light like everything was bright when she came up from submersion. I didn't experience that. I think about those in Acts who were filled with the Holy Spirit and were filled with joy and spoke in tongues. I'm like why am I not experiencing this??? Then I think about predestination in Ephesians 1 and in Matthew 20:15- "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?" Accepting predestination and how that comforts me but now I begin to doubt about my salvation if I'm not among the elect. These great christians were like super great christians, oh how spiritual they are and speaking in tongues and how they worship with greatness and I'm not like them and with my hearing troubles I have to watch the screen just to see the words on what they are singing.
    People got excited in the Early Church because of their place in history. And the same thing would occur, given the same circumstances. In the Early Church the Gospel was new, and the transition from both the Law and paganism great. It was indeed a great joy to transition from something insufficient to bring salvation to something that was a virtual guarantee of eternal life, with the evidence of Christ's Spirit within.

Those today who think it is *the ritual itself* that brings excitement, and not what it means, are pretending. It is what baptism means that brings true excitement. A sacrament, or religious ritual, is not magic, and does not bring the Holy Spirit down as if by some kind of incantation. Rather, it is a public declaration of your wish to change from paganism to Christianity, which is in fact a very exciting change.

However, many baptismal ceremonies today seem to lose this initial setting, and focus too much on the ceremony as if it is supposed to bring enlightenment just by performing the ritual itself. For crying out loud, it is just an "initiation ceremony," and a public declaration of one's intention to follow Christ for the rest of his life! That is exciting enough, you think?

I've personally been baptized twice, once as an infant, because I was raised a Christian from birth, and a 2nd time, when I got in among the Jesus People. I had backslidden, and coming back to Christ I learned of the more abundant living in Christ, through the Holy Spirit, that I had not experienced as a Lutheran. So I got baptized again. No spiritual empowerment. No signs and wonders. Just a simple declaration that I'm for sure, for all time, baptized!

Pentecostals are big on signs. I'm in fact a Pentecostal, but my view of signs and wonders do not follow the doctrinal path that most Pentecostals take. I don't believe all the gifts of the Spirit are given to all believers, nor that all believers should speak in tongues. The signs and wonders that I focus on is our need to preach a current word with power and authority, backed by God's judgment. When we truly speak God's word in the moment we should see God stand behind that word in some way. It doesn't matter if there is opposition--God stands behind His own word. And if we represent it properly, it will not go forth void.

Just follow Christ, and believe in his ability to guide you in his love and truth every day. To the degree you stick by that word you will find power and authority to declare truth that God will back up. Leave the heavenly demonstrations to God--too often they are the concoctions of those who want to draw attention to themselves, and not to God, to whom belongs all the glory.

The true signs that you want to see in your baptismal declaration is your changed life. And the signs you really need to see as you speak the word of Christ to others is a real change in their lives. The word of God always brings change.

Baptism is just the start of a major change, and your life should show this change. The Holy Spirit, however, is an essential means of experiencing the change on the inside and in hearing, by revelation, God's word to your mind. It is not a matter of reading a crystal ball, but more, of knowing the character of Christ and what his priorities are for your life. The Holy Spirit is the palpable experience of God in your life, when you choose to enter into an eternal fellowship with Him. He is the deposit and guarantee that you have been given eternal life!

The first thought that comes to my mind is why didn't you just take this up with your pastor?

Blog Entries

First of all, congratulations on your baptism! Great news!

Pbminimum said great stuff to you. I couldnít agree more. Iíll only build on it.

I personally donít believe 20th and 21st century tongues are real. But even if they are....

God is using mightily men who donít speak in tongues and even deny they are real and God is using mightily men who claim to speak in tongues.

Gifts arenít the issue. Fruit is.

Galatians 5 tells us......

Galatians 5:22Ė23 (NAS): But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
    23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

The Corinthians had all the gifts. But they were a mess In between the gift chapters of 1 Cor 12 & 14 is the love chapter of 1 Corinthians 13.

Maturity and character is more important than any and all the gifts.

So I exhort you with the words of Peter.....

2 Peter 3:18 (NAS): but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Spurgeon was a fantastic, anointed pastor. One of my favorite writings of his is The Soul Winner. It's worth noting that what Spurgeon did 100 plus years ago still works today.
    I haven't read The Soul Winner yet. Just finished reading some of his sermons on repentance and they are great. Highly recommend, Repentance Unto Life, The Goodness of God leadeth thee to Repentance, and Repentance after Conversion. They are so good and inspiring. You can't go wrong with him. He surely was the prince of preachers.

Thank you very much everyone for your helpful replies. They help me and give me comfort when I was struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    I was wondering how does anyone win a soul could you please explain to me how you can win a soul.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaousal View Post
    I was wondering how does anyone win a soul could you please explain to me how you can win a soul.

Thank you.
    I believe some spend a lot of time breaking up hard ground in an environment that is resistant to the Gospel. Every nation, and every neighborhood probably has different kinds of soil--some harder and some more amenable to planting seed. If you break up ground, you are not likely to see lots of immediate results. You may be preparing people who later will either be led to Christ by an evangelist, or your words will bring judgment upon those who rebel. The Gospel brings people closer to judgment, either for salvation or for damnation. The word of God can help people in their lives, simply by bringing them truths from God. But the best truth is in telling them they can know God personally, and live in His love and by His light. Happy fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I believe some spend a lot of time breaking up hard ground in an environment that is resistant to the Gospel. Every nation, and every neighborhood probably has different kinds of soil--some harder and some more amenable to planting seed. If you break up ground, you are not likely to see lots of immediate results. You may be preparing people who later will either be led to Christ by an evangelist, or your words will bring judgment upon those who rebel. The Gospel brings people closer to judgment, either for salvation or for damnation. The word of God can help people in their lives, simply by bringing them truths from God. But the best truth is in telling them they can know God personally, and live in His love and by His light. Happy fishing!
    So when people say they're winning souls it's just a figure of speech the truth is they're not winning a soul by telling someone about what's written in the Bible. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only way a soul can be saved is it has to be redeemed?

Quote Originally Posted by Loaousal View Post
    So when people say they're winning souls it's just a figure of speech the truth is they're not winning a soul by telling someone about what's written in the Bible. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only way a soul can be saved is it has to be redeemed?
    We cannot win souls unless God has called us to do it. Many years ago, during a national revival of Christianity, during the Charismatic Movement/Jesus People Movement, it was not too difficult to tell people on the street about Christ. But every time someone opened their heart to the Gospel, it was entirely predictable--a Christian friend nearby would step in, and bring in the harvest.

It has never been my job to bring about a conversion--my job has always been to lay the groundwork, and clearly, that's been done.

Salvation clearly is a matter of the "convert" accepting "redemption." Whether full regeneration takes place, or only the *knowledge* of redemption is accepted, I don't know, and it isn't my job to judge. It's only my job to share the truth. It is the convert's job to accept that truth.

Thread Information