Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the "First Resurrection"

what is the "First Resurrection"

there are plenty of accounts of people being resurrection during the life of Jesus and a few more of during the ties of the apostle, but it seems to me that the phrase "First Resurrection" is applied to an end-times issue? Surely this is the resurrection that Paul was speaking about in the book of Acts 22-26 to the Pharisees and Sanhedrin, Caiuses, Festus, Felix and Agrippa?

Re: what is the "First Resurrection"

after a bit more research, i think it is the resurrection for believers in Christ, and not the resurrection that follows the 1000yr reign where non-believers will be judges before the throne of God? it sounds like Paul did not differentiate between the two? teaching in Corinthians and Romans just one resurrection, that the concept of two resurrections did not come until Revelations 20.

is this right?

Blog Entries

Of course the First resurrection is not the "first " ever resurrection. So then what does it mean by first?

The "first" resurrection means it is the "first" once Christ returns. This would be the believers in Christ. The "second" though not specifically called such is the unbelievers being resurrected after the believers ie second.

Now when do these resurrections take place? 1) Both immediately after Christ returns, 2) Both a 1000 years later? 3) Or separate with a 1000 years apart?

We can eliminate #3 as much scripture indicates both resurrection happen on the same day/time frame. And we Know believers are resurrected when Christ returns thus #1 is correct.

hi ross,

#3 makes the most sense to me, but i confess i don't know the scriptures that support either #1 or #3

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post

there are plenty of accounts of people being resurrection during the life of Jesus and a few more of during the ties of the apostle, but it seems to me that the phrase "First Resurrection" is applied to an end-times issue? Surely this is the resurrection that Paul was speaking about in the book of Acts 22-26 to the Pharisees and Sanhedrin, Caiuses, Festus, Felix and Agrippa?
    Like many words in the original Greek text, there can be more than one meaning. The word "first" in Revelation 20:5-6 is "Protos" in the Greek. It can mean BOTH, (i) the FIRST in TIME, and (ii) the FIRST in IMPORTANCE. This can be seen in;
    1. Matthew 17:27 Peter was to check the mouth of the FIRST fish to be caught. The FIRST in TIME
    2. Acts 13:50 the Jews stirred up the "chief men" of the city to persecute Paul. The FIRST in IMPORTANCE.

It is clear that in Revelation 20:5-6 that it is not the FIRST in TIME resurrection. Three people were raised in the Old Testament, three people were raised by Christ. Peter and Paul raised persons. And on resurrection day, "AFTER" Christ rose, a number of Old Testament saints were raised (Matt.27:53). The resurrection that includes all the Overcomers is the FIRST in IMPORTANCE. Paul alluded to this resurrection in Philippians 3:11, "If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead." The word used here for resurrection is only used this once in the whole Bible. It is "EX-anastasis" which means "the Resurrection out of the resurrection", or as some German translations give, "the exceptional resurrection". Notice in this verse the use of the word "attain". The resurrection of ALL men is guaranteed (1st Cor.15:22), but only the few who, by great endeavor and sacrifice, are to be in the "EX-anastasis" - those who will be counted "worthy" to rule with Christ in the Millennium. paul gives the conditions for "attaining to" this resurrection in the verse prior, in Philippians 3:10;

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death"

And the scary part is that Paul wrote this within three years of his death. He had served the Lord through pain, persecutions, beatings, stonings, hunger, cold, shipwreck and fear, and he was still not sure of his "crown". But, on the eve of his martyrdom in 2nd Timothy 4:5-8. Notice again the deprivations.

5 "But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
    6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
    7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
    8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

Two things are prominent in this quest for a "crown".
    1. Service despite sufferings.
    2. "To LOVE His appearing". This indicates that Paul had divorced himself totally from the earth and its charms, and that the presence of the Lord was his chief goal. That is, he was as in love with Jesus as a newlywed. Men who are still attached to the earth never LOVE Christ's appearing because it ends their relationship with it. This can happen to successful Ministers in the church. they are so successful that they don't want Christ to end their ministry. In Matthew 7:21-23 men who were serving in the highest things, like miracles and casting out demons were refused their "crown". Our Lord Jesus did not "know" them. This word in the Greek does not indicate intellectual knowledge. Of course Jesus knows every Christian intellectually. The word rather means "intimate recognition" - the knowledge that man has when making love to a woman. "And (Joseph) knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS" (Matthew 1:25).

it sounds like Paul did not differentiate between the two? teaching in Corinthians and Romans just one resurrection, that the concept of two resurrections did not come until Revelations 20.

is this right?
    Only one concept is right, and Paul didn't differentiate between 2.
    The resurrection of all those in the tomb occurs the hour Jesus comes again and utters his voice.

Jn 5

26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; 27 and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

I believe this refers to the first resurrection and "now is"

Jn 5
    24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life

25 Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

REV 20
    6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years

The time now is for not coming into judgment. We have already passed from death to life and the second death is avoided. No physical resurrection is required for obtaining this hope, only a spiritual born again one
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

after a bit more research, i think it is the resurrection for believers in Christ, and not the resurrection that follows the 1000yr reign where non-believers will be judges before the throne of God? it sounds like Paul did not differentiate between the two? teaching in Corinthians and Romans just one resurrection, that the concept of two resurrections did not come until Revelations 20.

is this right?
    brother simply consider the context the chapter builds it tells us who's part of the first resurrection a few verses before , the martyrs of the early church which were persecuted in masses and slaughtered by men like Nero , for the reason that they were Christian and would not deny his name ...this lasted almost 350 years , it was even a state endorsed Roman empiric law , it was perfectly legal to persecute or even kill Christians because they blamed them for the burning of Rome by Nero.

“And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

...And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
    **Revelation‬ *20:4, 6, 12-15‬ *KJV‬‬

see remember these martyrs ? When the seals were being opened?

“And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.”
    **Revelation‬ *6:9-11‬ *KJV‬‬

and then we see

“After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest.

And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.”
    **Revelation‬ *7:9-10, 13-17‬ *KJV‬‬

there are two groups , one group are beneath the ALTAR these are the martyrs those who were killed for the word of God spreading the gospel , even today each year there are tens of thousands around the globe who are killed for spreading the gospel. They , like Jesus were martyred for the spreading of the message of salvation through him. This is why they will be ruling with him a thousand years , thier blood was also shed for thier obedience to the will of God . Men like Peter , paul , James , Stephen , who we have an actual account of his martyrdom because of the gospel in acts.

The other group , they are believers from all kind reds and nations who are saved through repentance and remission of thier sins through Christ Jesus , which is the message of the gospel. The martyrs then re appear later as those who are blessed and reign with Christ 1000 years and are beyond the reach of the second death, which is eternal damnation in the lake of fire....

so

I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.”

....I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.[/COLOR][/B]

see the second appearance is after all of them have been martyred like it says there they were waiting for ...then they are resurrected together and reign with Jesus ...those who were martyred for his gospel ...many...many of the early church were killed in terrible ways because they refused to deny the things they had witnessed ....Many terrible things can happen to a Christian in this world ....but look at the reward these heroes of faith will receive ....to reign along side Jesus Christ for a millennium......be free of eternal damnation.....wow ...

there's also this mass resurrection of o.t. Saints of the twelve tribes when Jesus died and rose ....

“Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.”
    **Matthew‬ *27:50-53‬ *KJV‬‬

there's also On a different level the necessaty for this resurrection....

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
    **John‬ *3:3, 5-6‬ *KJV‬‬

“For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”
    **John‬ *5:21-22, 24-25, 28-29‬ *KJV‬‬

which the second part , the hour that was coming ...is Jesus speaking beforehand of this

“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
    **Revelation‬ *20:10-15‬ *KJV‬‬

you have a judgement for the living ,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

there's a resurrection in that also , Jesus says many times

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”
    **John‬ *8:51‬ *KJV‬‬

remembering the dead are judged ....and those who hear his word and believe have passed FROM death to life already .

the point is by the gospel a believer is judged in our daily life , according not to Moses laws , but according to the word of God Jesus Christ there is first propitiation for our sins and his judgement now , so we can repent and not have to face eternal jidgement for our sins. For instance he taught us to be merciful , and we will receive mercy...don't judge , don't condemn and you will not be judged and condemned , forgive and you will be forgiven ...ect

this is from the judge himself so we then know be merciful when others sin against us ,many we will receive mercy by his word . He is the judge who taught his disciples and sent his teaching out to the world ....

"For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:"

“Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.”
    **Acts‬ *17:31‬ *KJV‬‬

“And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.”
    **Acts‬ *10:42‬ *KJV‬‬

the quick are the living who hear his word and believe unto everlasting life ...who don't go to the grave when thier bodies of flesh perish , but just like the grief on the cross ,my hey are going to be with the resurrection and life

“Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?”
    **John‬ *11:25-26‬ *KJV‬‬

“And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.”
    **Luke‬ *23:42-43‬ *KJV‬‬

the man was about to die....yet Jesus Christ the truth , is promising him today you will be with me in paradise......there is life in Christ

The 1st resurrection occurs when a person comes to faith in God through Christ. Our Lord referred to believers as "living",

Now as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living!" Mt.22:31-32

Jesus referred to unbelievers as "dead",

But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." Mt.8:22

This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Eph.5:14

Context is important. The phrase "first resurrection" is used in the context of John receiving a number of visions about the great tribulation just before the second coming.

This first resurrection occurs AFTER a time of persecution by the beast according to v4, and we know this persecution occurs during the final 42 months of this world according to Rev 13.

Therefore the first resurrection occurs at the second coming, after the final 42 month persecution of the beast.

Blog Entries

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

It says the rest of the dead lived not until after the 1000 years...that living again means a resurrection and this proves there was a resurrection that happened in the verse before as it is describing two days of resurrecting separated by a thousand years.

The first group to rise from the dead have no fear of the second death.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

The only way the 2nd death has no power is if you are immortal and judged to life, never capable of dying. The first resurrection is also another way to say "rise first" which is also related to the first mass resurrection:

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

This is also "the first resurrection" and happens at the same timeframe, the second coming. Some doubt they are immortal but scripture says they are:

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The last trumpet sounds before the thousand years begins!

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

It is swallowed up meaning for these people the second death has no power because they are resurrected into immortality and that is exactly the same for the smaller group that is focused on in Rev 20:4. They are not the only ones that resurrect to immortality, they are just what God wanted to focus on in that one passage. They are immortal. They were judged and resurrected BEFORE the thousand years as are all the dead in Christ.

first resurrection = rise first. Both address when the dead in Christ come back to life.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.” At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. Jn.8:51-52

But about the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” Mt.22:31-32

"You are badly mistaken!” Mk.12:27

Blog Entries

is this right?
    I do belief that Paul taught two resurrections... 1st Cor 15:22-27 affirms a order of resurrection "at Christ coming" and one "at the end" when "death is destroyed". Revelation 2o unquestionably calls for a subsequent resurrection at the GWT when death is cast into the Lake of Fire.

Another passage where Paul confirms a dual resurrection is in Philippians 3:7-11, the the "out from among

Php 3:7-11 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. (8) Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ (9) and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; (10) that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, (11) if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection out from among the dead.

Four times in scripture the resurrection of the saints is mentioned as a “resurrection from the dead” (Mark 12:5, Luke 20:35, Acts 4:2 Phil 3:11). The Greek word “from” (“ek” ) means “out from among.”

The preposition Ek implies a previous existence among or within its object (i.e the dead) and a departure out from among the object, thus making it no longer among or within the object. The essence of this preposition is the concept of separation from a former grouping. In this case, a resurrection “out from among” the larger group of “dead ones” requires the rest of the dead remain behind.

Paul spoke of Christ using the exact language, explaining he was being resurrected from among the dead ones.

Acts 26:23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles."

The underlined phrase above is, “protoV ex anastasewn nekrwn,” which is literally translated, “first out from among resurrection [from] dead ones.” Jesus is the firstfruits (or prototype) for the “out from among resurrection.” He was raised while the rest of the dead remained in the grave. Likewise, when the same language is used to describe the saints being raised “out from among” at the 2nd coming, the meaning is consistent. Some of the dead (righteous) are resurrected while the rest of the dead (wicked) remain in the grave.

Paul longed to be a part of this distinct resurrection “out from among” the larger group of “the dead ones.”

Phil 3:10-11 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection (out) from the dead.

The underlined phrase is “thn ex anastasin thn ek nekrwn” which is literally translated “the out from among (ek) resurrection, the out from among (ek) dead ones.” Notice “ek” appears twice in this phrase, once as a prefix to the word “resurrection” and again before the word “dead.”

Phil 3:11 (CLV) “if somehow I should be attaining to the out-resurrection, that is out from among the dead.”

IOW, Paul believed all the dead would be resurrected (Acts 24:15), but here he clarifies to which resurrection he is referring, the resurrection which is “out from among the dead ones” rather than the general resurrection of all the remaining dead.

Not one time in scripture are the wicked spoken of as rising “out from among the dead” (ek). Neither is there a verse that explicitly or implicitly demands a simultaneous general resurrection of all of the dead. Yet, Philippians 3:10-11 absolutely requires distinct resurrections separated by time and harmonizes perfectly with Revelation 20’s first resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    I do belief that Paul taught two resurrections... 1st Cor 15:22-27 affirms a order of resurrection "at Christ coming" and one "at the end" when "death is destroyed". Revelation 2o unquestionably calls for a subsequent resurrection at the GWT when death is cast into the Lake of Fire.

Another passage where Paul confirms a dual resurrection is in Philippians 3:7-11, the the "out from among

Php 3:7-11 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. (8) Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ (9) and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; (10) that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, (11) if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection out from among the dead.

Four times in scripture the resurrection of the saints is mentioned as a “resurrection from the dead” (Mark 12:5, Luke 20:35, Acts 4:2 Phil 3:11). The Greek word “from” (“ek” ) means “out from among.”

The preposition Ek implies a previous existence among or within its object (i.e the dead) and a departure out from among the object, thus making it no longer among or within the object. The essence of this preposition is the concept of separation from a former grouping. In this case, a resurrection “out from among” the larger group of “dead ones” requires the rest of the dead remain behind.

Paul spoke of Christ using the exact language, explaining he was being resurrected from among the dead ones.

Acts 26:23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles."

The underlined phrase above is, “protoV ex anastasewn nekrwn,” which is literally translated, “first out from among resurrection [from] dead ones.” Jesus is the firstfruits (or prototype) for the “out from among resurrection.” He was raised while the rest of the dead remained in the grave. Likewise, when the same language is used to describe the saints being raised “out from among” at the 2nd coming, the meaning is consistent. Some of the dead (righteous) are resurrected while the rest of the dead (wicked) remain in the grave.

Paul longed to be a part of this distinct resurrection “out from among” the larger group of “the dead ones.”

Phil 3:10-11 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection (out) from the dead.

The underlined phrase is “thn ex anastasin thn ek nekrwn” which is literally translated “the out from among (ek) resurrection, the out from among (ek) dead ones.” Notice “ek” appears twice in this phrase, once as a prefix to the word “resurrection” and again before the word “dead.”

Phil 3:11 (CLV) “if somehow I should be attaining to the out-resurrection, that is out from among the dead.”

IOW, Paul believed all the dead would be resurrected (Acts 24:15), but here he clarifies to which resurrection he is referring, the resurrection which is “out from among the dead ones” rather than the general resurrection of all the remaining dead.

Not one time in scripture are the wicked spoken of as rising “out from among the dead” (ek). Neither is there a verse that explicitly or implicitly demands a simultaneous general resurrection of all of the dead. Yet, Philippians 3:10-11 absolutely requires distinct resurrections separated by time and harmonizes perfectly with Revelation 20’s first resurrection
    This is an area that is very unclear to me in some respects, and I'm interested in your comments? In 1 Cor 15 we read:

22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Unless I'm mistaken, "all" refers to all of humanity, right? Or, am I wrong?

All who "died" in Adam is all of Mankind. So it stands to reason that all who are "made alive" are all of Mankind. Right? And so, we are told that *in Christ* all of Mankind are raised from the dead. Right?

When you say the Wicked are never spoken of in the Bible as "rising out from among the dead," I get confused. In Dan 12.2 and Acts 24.15 both indicate that the Wicked will be raised out from among the dead, or am I wrong?

Are you trying to distinguish between a "resurrection of the Wicked" and a "resurrection out from among the dead of the Wicked?" This does not seem to be making any distinction?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    This is an area that is very unclear to me in some respects, and I'm interested in your comments? In 1 Cor 15 we read:

22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Unless I'm mistaken, "all" refers to all of humanity, right? Or, am I wrong?

All who "died" in Adam is all of Mankind. So it stands to reason that all who are "made alive" are all of Mankind. Right? And so, we are told that *in Christ* all of Mankind are raised from the dead. Right?
    Hey Randyk,
    I agree with your assessment on “all man kind being brought to life”. The issue is that Paul states “each in his own order”. IOW, there is a chronological order to the different resurrections. We then are given two types of resurrections specifically spelled out…

1. We have Christ resurrection as the first fruits
    2. All those who are Christs (believers) at His coming

However, a third resurrection is demanded and implied by the text. That a third and final resurrection of the unjust is implied in the verse is demanded by that fact that Paul spoke of "an order of resurrections "for "ALL men" but only spoke of Christ's and then believers being raised at "Christ's coming". If Paul did not imply that there would be a final resurrection of the wicked after Christ reign and after the 1st resurrection, then he would not have stated that "ALL will be made alive” nor would there have been an logical explanation of the order of resurrections as the resurrection of Christ was already past at the time of Paul’s writing about a coming order. Simply put, if "ALL" come to life and only a portion are specifically mentioned, then the remainder must be implied in the following judgment. Paul alludes to this third resurrection by saying “THEN comes the end… when all enemies are put under his feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed in death”. Part of this subduing “under His feet” is the final removal of the wicked into the lake of fire through the resurrection of condemnation. John harmonizes this period when “death is destroyed” in Revelation 20 when death is cast into the lake of fire. At this time, John sees a final resurrection of the wicked.

When you say the Wicked are never spoken of in the Bible as "rising out from among the dead," I get confused. In Dan 12.2 and Acts 24.15 both indicate that the Wicked will be raised out from among the dead, or am I wrong?

Are you trying to distinguish between a "resurrection of the Wicked" and a "resurrection out from among the dead of the Wicked?" This does not seem to be making any distinction?
    Yes, to clarify… I am a firm believer in the resurrection of the unjust. However, nowhere is the resurrection of the wicked called a “resurrection FROM the dead”. Even in the Acts 24:15 passage it is called a “resurrection OF the dead”. There is a difference. In fact, you will only see the terms “FROM (EK) the dead” in scriptures being applied to the righteous which in most cases demand a separate resurrection from the remaining dead ones who are left in the grave. In ancient Jewish thought, especially the intertestamental time period, the “dead” was an abode for the departed souls. When someone was raised “FROM” the dead it meant they were brought from the place of the dead ones, while leaving the rest of the dead behind. It was not merely a conscious awakening from the grave. The Jews have always believed in a special resurrection of the righteous who would rule with the messiah at His coming. This resurrection must be a special resurrection that is separate FROM AMONG the remaining dead.

The earliest church fathers also called the “first resurrection” the “resurrection FROM the dead” as well as the “resurrection of the just”. However, when speaking of the resurrection of the wicked, they never called in a “resurrection FROM the dead” but rather “the general resurrection” to denote the most millennial resurrection.

I get confused. In Dan 12.2 and Acts 24.15 both indicate that the Wicked will be raised out from among the dead, or am I wrong?
    While we are on the subject of Daniel 12:2, here are my thoughts

Dan 12:2 "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

Please notice: The word “Many” (rab) can mean:
    1. All--such as “there are many people in the world”
    2. A subset group of a larger group--such as “many kids have red hair”

In Daniel, EVERY TIME the word “many” (rab) is used it refers to a subset group of a larger group. IOW, many is NOT everyone. See Dan 9:27, 11:14, 18, 26, 33-34, 39-41, 12:10)

With this is mind, "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life” (Dan 12:2) refers to a subset group of a larger group (the dead). “Many” refers to the portion of the dead that will awake to eternal life and is the antecedent to the pronoun “these”. The word “many” limits the verb “awake” to only a portion of those who are asleep, thereby excluding the rest of the dead. The Hebrew and LXX demand this interpretation. Daniel’s description of the resurrection is completely consistent with the “first resurrection” of Revelation 20.

If this were a general resurrection (both righteous and wicked), the text would be required to say “And All of those who sleep in the dust of the ground shall awake” but it DOESENT use "ALL". The very fact that only a subgroup awake from the dust of the ground DEMANDS that there is a TIME DIFEERENCE between “these,” righteous ones who awake at this time, and the “the others,” who’ll rise at a later time to shame and condemnation. If they both awake at the same time then the text would demand the phrase “all awake,” rather than “many” (which means a subset group of a larger group). Daniel used the word "all" (kol) 65 times in his writings, but carefully chose not to use it in Daniel 12:2.

Granted, this passage does not give the length of the gap between the two resurrections, whether it is 10 seconds, 10 hours or 1,000 years. However, Revelation 20 fills in the details and tells us that 1,000 years AFTER the resurrection of the just the “rest of the dead” come to life again.

Thread Information