Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: How necessary Baptism?

Re: How necessary Baptism?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I know of child baptisms where the parents do not have faith in God, they "do it" because it is a "good thing" to do and for the "sake" of the baby, they go through the motions... and to satisfy the grandparents (who won't stop nagging) who insist the new baby should be baptized.
    OK, while this is not the norm, it still does not nullify the promise of God. So I must say that the child would be in covenant with God and only shows God's mercy and grace.

Would people who chose to be baptized, but not because of faith but only because they want to be part of their friends/community who are baptized or being baptized, be baptized again if they truly would come to faith?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    OK, while this is not the norm, it still does not nullify the promise of God. So I must say that the child would be in covenant with God and only shows God's mercy and grace.

Would people who chose to be baptized, but not because of faith but only because they want to be part of their friends/community who are baptized or being baptized, be baptized again if they truly would come to faith?
    While I do believe in "age of accountability," all I can conclude from your post is that when a person who cannot yet believe (example, an infant), IS saved when a man baptizes them AND when a person CAN make a conscious choice to believe, IS NOT saved... until a man baptizes them in water.

Do you believe this?
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

While I do believe in "age of accountability," all I can conclude from your post is that when a person who cannot yet believe (example, an infant), IS saved when a man baptizes them AND when a person CAN make a conscious choice to believe, IS NOT saved... until a man baptizes them in water.

Do you believe this?
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Do you believe this?
    I believe that covenant children are saved, not all children. I do not believe that baptism saves. So a child who were baptized must still confess their faith to be saved and this confession is a testimony of the faithfulness of God and the promise He made at baptism. But until they can do this, they are safe in the covenant and promise of God. Not all children are.

My question was that if a person was baptized under false pretenses, must he be baptized again if he came to faith? (this is for those who do not believe in covenant or infant baptism)

Do you believe this?
    I believe that covenant children are saved, not all children. I do not believe that baptism saves. So a child who were baptized must still confess their faith to be saved and this confession is a testimony of the faithfulness of God and the promise He made at baptism. But until they can do this, they are safe in the covenant and promise of God. Not all children are.

My question was that if a person was baptized under false pretenses, must he be baptized again if he came to faith? (this is for those who do not believe in covenant or infant baptism)

Because of not able to edit.

Does by being baptized again you crucify Christ again for baptizing being died with Christ and resurrected with Him also?

Does by being baptized again you crucify Christ again for baptizing being died with Christ and resurrected with Him also?

Blog Entries

No one should be baptized until after Christ has redeemed (saved) the person. Meaning, until a person professes Christ (believed unto Him), they cannot be baptized. Philip is the perfect example of leadership when the eunuch wanted to be baptized. Philip held off with a question, the answer of professing Christ allowed Philip to know the man was redeemed (already saved) by Christ.

This part makes no sense.

Tell me, if a covenant child (as per your understanding) grows into adulthood and has no faith in God... what is the value of the covenant when they WERE an infant, are they redeemed since that infancy covenant?
    Slug1--out

No one should be baptized until after Christ has redeemed (saved) the person. Meaning, until a person professes Christ (believed unto Him), they cannot be baptized. Philip is the perfect example of leadership when the eunuch wanted to be baptized. Philip held off with a question, the answer of professing Christ allowed Philip to know the man was redeemed (already saved) by Christ.
    I believe I was saved at the cross, this by the grace of God which elected me before creation to be His. When I confessed my faith in Christ was the moment I realized who I was, a lost sinner who by grace was saved by Christ on the cross and now I can live in the knowing of being a child of God. Realizing that I am not under the dominion of sin anymore, I confessed my sins and turn away from it to live a life of gratitude, of being holy. I now have a new identity not because of me, but because of God. This was the promised God made at my baptism and which He fulfilled by His grace.

This part makes no sense.

Tell me, if a covenant child (as per your understanding) grows into adulthood and has no faith in God... what is the value of the covenant when they WERE an infant, are they redeemed since that infancy covenant?
    Great, for they were under God's grace and mercy. But by not coming to Christ it is also terrible for they would have no excuse in not knowing Him.

Joh 15:6* If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.*

I believe I was saved at the cross, this by the grace of God which elected me before creation to be His. When I confessed my faith in Christ was the moment I realized who I was, a lost sinner who by grace was saved by Christ on the cross and now I can live in the knowing of being a child of God. Realizing that I am not under the dominion of sin anymore, I confessed my sins and turn away from it to live a life of gratitude, of being holy. I now have a new identity not because of me, but because of God. This was the promised God made at my baptism and which He fulfilled by His grace.

Great, for they were under God's grace and mercy. But by not coming to Christ it is also terrible for they would have no excuse in not knowing Him.

Joh 15:6* If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.*
    According to your doctrine, when were you under the dominion of sin ? How is that possible according to your doctrine ?

Blog Entries

I'll ID the problem then. You believe God's grace covers the child as an infant (which I agree with you so far due to my understanding of age of accountability), however, where your position fails is this:

Grace according to your position is irrefutable/irresistible, anyone UNDER God's grace can never NOT be saved. So your own post, refutes your position.
    Slug1--out

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    According to your doctrine, when were you under the dominion of sin ? How is that possible according to your doctrine ?
    It was the same as all men until I have founded grace and mercy by Him. Because I was predestined to be His, He worked everything to bring that to effect. So because of His grace and mercy I was never predestined to die under the dominion of sin, but to be saved from it. I could not start living who I am in Christ until I came to realize it. Professing your faith is part of this. Now I know because of Christ I can overcome sin, I am free of it, I can ask Him to help me and trust Him in doing it, while previously I tried on my own and failed, because the flesh is weak.

So was I ever in danger of dying under the dominion of sin? No. Did I live as under the dominion of sin? Yes.

It was the same as all men until I have founded grace and mercy by Him. Because I was predestined to be His, He worked everything to bring that to effect. So because of His grace and mercy I was never predestined to die under the dominion of sin, but to be saved from it. I could not start living who I am in Christ until I came to realize it. Professing your faith is part of this. Now I know because of Christ I can overcome sin, I am free of it, I can ask Him to help me and trust Him in doing it, while previously I tried on my own and failed, because the flesh is weak.

So was I ever in danger of dying under the dominion of sin? No. Did I live as under the dominion of sin? Yes
    So, from a scriptural standpoint how did you pass from death to life ?

I'll ID the problem then. You believe God's grace covers the child as an infant (which I agree with you so far due to my understanding of age of accountability), however, where your position fails is this:

Grace according to your position is irrefutable/irresistible, anyone UNDER God's grace can never NOT be saved. So your own post, refutes your position.
    Not really. I think the confusion is for my lack of explaining adequately.

Are all covenant children under God's grace [B]IF[B] they should die in infancy? Yes.

Are all covenant children under God's grace IF they reach adulthood? No, for you must have faith by confessing your faith in Christ. So yes grace is irresistible for the elect.

So, from a scriptural standpoint how did you pass from death to life ?
    By God's mercy and grace through faith in Christ.

By God's mercy and grace through faith in Christ.
    Let me rephrase the question. If you were never actually under condemnation due to your predestined election, how did you pass from death to life ? Were you at any time condemned ?

Let me rephrase the question. If you were never actually under condemnation due to your predestined election, how did you pass from death to life ? Were you at any time condemned ?
    Same answer. Was I condemned same as all in Adam? Yes. It was from this condemnation/death that I was saved by God's grace and mercy through faith in Christ. This predestined and elected by God before creation.

Thread Information