Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    5,270

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Did I suggest that Barnabas left the work? Could you give me posting # please. Thanks.
    You suggested much worse. You suggested he might be in trouble at the judgment seat... Post # 9

    By using your logic should we be concerned that Paul missed the boat because of his writings in Romans 7 ?

    Or that Peter is in danger of hell because of what is written in Galatians 2 ?

    Where does it end ? At what point does grace become of no effect ? Barnabas, Paul, Peter and many more endured to the end and are with the Lord in Heaven.

    Concerning your position that " Barnabas was responsible for the break" and chose flesh over the Holy Spirit ... You don't know that. You are speculating. And it's quite obvious that your human condition is at least as real as Barnabas' was. I've honestly thought I'd heard it all on this site before... but this one baffles me.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Brother... I'll say this with as much grace as I know how to. You aren't bringing a whole lot of hope here. What you have been bringing lately is legalism. I believe that He who began a good work in me will complete it, and those who aren't secure in their faith will never serve God out of love and admiration, but out of and unhealthy fear and obligation, and God certainly doesn't desire that for us. When people serve out of fear and obligation , the relationship suffers and the person will work out of their flesh, not exercising the gifts of the Spirit God gave them.
    I hear you brother. No offense is taken. You wrote well. But there is a difference between naked fear and a sense of duty. I have been a born again Christian for just over 40 years and I have first hand experience of God's chastisement. I have also seen what has happened to other brothers. But my fear is not naked fear, but reverential fear. Israel's failure was because they did not fear God. Many Christians fail because they have no fear of God. There are many scriptures that advise man to fear God. I'll just give you one - 1st Peter 1:17; "And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear."

    I have heard the accusation of "legalism" many times in my Christian life. It is usually directed at me by brothers and sisters who want to do their own thing. We are children of God and can expect His affection, protection, supply and tender love. We are also His showpiece before the Nations and can expect His chastisement if we are a bad testimony in public. We are also His servants and have a duty to do under threat of retribution if we rebel. If you are not sure, ask Ananias and Saphira, ask the incestuous brother of 1st Corinthians 5, ask those who got sick and died for taking the Lord's Table flippantly in 1st Corinthians 11, and ask Alexander the coppersmith what it is like to be handed over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh.

    If you are a new convert you can expect much leniency by God. He is very patient and longsuffering. But if you have served Him and been dealt with by Him over years, you will know that you just don't ignore a direct command of the Holy Spirit, one which has also been ratified by the Church like Barnabas did - especially not for family connections. I am not Barnabas's judge. That is why I said Barnabas MIGHT have trouble at the Judgment Seat. But I do know that being a Christian and a servant of the Lord requires that you DO WHAT HE SAYS. This is not a game. This is a matter of God's reputation and God's glory. Woe to the man who thinks that God is his "buddy" and everything is optional.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    You suggested much worse. You suggested he might be in trouble at the judgment seat... Post # 9

    By using your logic should we be concerned that Paul missed the boat because of his writings in Romans 7 ?

    Or that Peter is in danger of hell because of what is written in Galatians 2 ?

    Where does it end ? At what point does grace become of no effect ? Barnabas, Paul, Peter and many more endured to the end and are with the Lord in Heaven.

    Concerning your position that " Barnabas was responsible for the break" and chose flesh over the Holy Spirit ... You don't know that. You are speculating. And it's quite obvious that your human condition is at least as real as Barnabas' was. I've honestly thought I'd heard it all on this site before... but this one baffles me.
    My answer was directed at Brother Mark. I don't mind you intervening and answering for him, but at least answer the question. We are Christians here and should uphold the highest standards of truth.

    I will answer your questions though.

    Paul establishes in Romans Chapter 7 that the flesh is woefully lost for all intents and purposes. He ends by establishing that there is a LAW dwelling in our flesh that ALWAYS causes us to fail - even when we are zealous for the Lord's things. But as he begins Chapter 8 he establishes ANOTHER LAW that, if applied, can overcome the LAW of sin and death IN OUR FLESH. But then Paul continues that the believer has to ability to apply the LAW of Life in Christ Jesus or not. It is like an aeroplane. It is ALWAYS subject gravity. But if uses correctly the LAW of aerodynamics can overcome the Law of gravity. But the aeroplane can be used incorrectly and then the LAW of gravity will win every time. Paul did establish the certainty of the flesh failing. But he shows the way out by God. If the believer refuses to apply the LAW of Life in Christ Jesus he will carry consequences. That is my logic.

    Paul was writing under inspiration in Galatians Chapter 2. So what he said, whether deemed hard or soft, is from the Lord. This was the accusation. "... they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, ... ." (Galatians 2:14). Peter is chosen as the leading Apostle among the twelve. He is the leading brother in the first Church. He is the reference point for all that Christ taught seeing as he was face to face pupil of the Lord Jesus for three and a half years. He was endowed with the power to speak in foreign tongues, heal the sick and raise the dead. Do you think a man of such stature and gifting should be a coward in the face of a few ineffectual Jews? Let scripture answer. This is what God thinks of the fearful, and look who He sets them alongside. "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

    Now, I have no doubt in my mind that Peter wept bitterly again and repented, and that he was fully restored by the Lord, for we read in Matthew 19:28 and Luke 22:30 that Peter would be a co-king in the Millennial Kingdom. No doubt he was forgiven and restored, just as he was after denying the Lord. But do you think you, or I, or Brother Mark can refuse to "... walk uprightly according to the truth of the gospel" with impunity?

    You asked when grace becomes of no effect? I cannot tell. God is very lenient. But what I can tell you is that it is really possible. Galatians 5:4 report of Christians who turn to the Law. "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." WHEN it happens I cannot tell. But THAT IT HAPPENS is sure!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    5,270

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I hear you brother. No offense is taken. You wrote well. But there is a difference between naked fear and a sense of duty. I have been a born again Christian for just over 40 years and I have first hand experience of God's chastisement. I have also seen what has happened to other brothers. But my fear is not naked fear, but reverential fear. Israel's failure was because they did not fear God. Many Christians fail because they have no fear of God. There are many scriptures that advise man to fear God. I'll just give you one - 1st Peter 1:17; "And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear."

    I have heard the accusation of "legalism" many times in my Christian life. It is usually directed at me by brothers and sisters who want to do their own thing. We are children of God and can expect His affection, protection, supply and tender love. We are also His showpiece before the Nations and can expect His chastisement if we are a bad testimony in public. We are also His servants and have a duty to do under threat of retribution if we rebel. If you are not sure, ask Ananias and Saphira, ask the incestuous brother of 1st Corinthians 5, ask those who got sick and died for taking the Lord's Table flippantly in 1st Corinthians 11, and ask Alexander the coppersmith what it is like to be handed over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh.

    If you are a new convert you can expect much leniency by God. He is very patient and longsuffering. But if you have served Him and been dealt with by Him over years, you will know that you just don't ignore a direct command of the Holy Spirit, one which has also been ratified by the Church like Barnabas did - especially not for family connections. I am not Barnabas's judge. That is why I said Barnabas MIGHT have trouble at the Judgment Seat. But I do know that being a Christian and a servant of the Lord requires that you DO WHAT HE SAYS. This is not a game. This is a matter of God's reputation and God's glory. Woe to the man who thinks that God is his "buddy" and everything is optional.
    Some see leaving judgment in God's hands and simply showing grace to those who are a work in progress ( like Barnabas ) as Liberal Christianity and an abuse of grace when that isn't what anyone has insinuated and certainly isn't what happened in the case of Barnabas. Many Christians - even those well along in their walk - would do well to follow the example of Barnabas, because most people in the bible had gross moral failure while they were well into their walk, and thought they had it all figured out.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    5,270

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I hear you brother. No offense is taken. You wrote well. But there is a difference between naked fear and a sense of duty. I have been a born again Christian for just over 40 years and I have first hand experience of God's chastisement. I have also seen what has happened to other brothers. But my fear is not naked fear, but reverential fear. Israel's failure was because they did not fear God. Many Christians fail because they have no fear of God. There are many scriptures that advise man to fear God. I'll just give you one - 1st Peter 1:17; "And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear."

    I have heard the accusation of "legalism" many times in my Christian life. It is usually directed at me by brothers and sisters who want to do their own thing. We are children of God and can expect His affection, protection, supply and tender love. We are also His showpiece before the Nations and can expect His chastisement if we are a bad testimony in public. We are also His servants and have a duty to do under threat of retribution if we rebel. If you are not sure, ask Ananias and Saphira, ask the incestuous brother of 1st Corinthians 5, ask those who got sick and died for taking the Lord's Table flippantly in 1st Corinthians 11, and ask Alexander the coppersmith what it is like to be handed over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh.

    If you are a new convert you can expect much leniency by God. He is very patient and longsuffering. But if you have served Him and been dealt with by Him over years, you will know that you just don't ignore a direct command of the Holy Spirit, one which has also been ratified by the Church like Barnabas did - especially not for family connections. I am not Barnabas's judge. That is why I said Barnabas MIGHT have trouble at the Judgment Seat. But I do know that being a Christian and a servant of the Lord requires that you DO WHAT HE SAYS. This is not a game. This is a matter of God's reputation and God's glory. Woe to the man who thinks that God is his "buddy" and everything is optional.
    It may be that they are rebellious , or perhaps you are legalistic. I've been at this awhile now too, and you are the ONLY person I've ever heard run down Barnabas' example of restoration. Walls.... if we can't grasp restoration and forgiveness.. even with those who are not only new converts, but also those who are well along in their walk... then we need to check ourselves.

  6. #21

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Barnabas [Joseph] and John Mark did not "slow Paul down". Barnabas was awesomely effective - right beside Paul - during that first missionary journey. Barnabas was the one who introduced Paul to the others in Jerusalem. He bridged that gap so to speak.

    The contentious issue was not over any doctrine. It was over John Mark. Paul did not want him anymore because he abandoned them once. Barnabas, being John Mark's older cousin, saw that he could be of use. That was the heated debate. So heated that ..

    Barnabas left with John Mark and Paul took on a new partner, Silas. All four men and many others were approved by God for their work. Paul lists other people's name countless times to tell the reader of other Christians doing the work of God along with him or helping him. Men and women.

    Paul was not the only man approved for working with Gentiles.

    amen , like was one of his most constant companions who authored the gospel of Luke, and the book of acts even as Paul faces his execution in his final epistle he asks for mark , saying he is helpful to his ministry, and he says Luke a second author of a gospel , is the only companion who remained with him as others fled...

    seperate from Paul's ministry Peter was directly and specifically sent to Gentiles , and they relieved the Holy Ghost through peters preaching...Priscilla and Aquila also a his band and wife team who joined with Paul and also had thier own ministry to both gentile and Jew like Paul was commissioned to both gentile and Jew , like all the original apostles were commissioned to do " preach to all nations, baptize them,,,,,go,into all the world preach the gospel to every creature whoever believes...ect

    Paul , is no different from any apostles , he is no less than them , nor is he more or different everyone was commissioned to preach to both Jew and gentile , anyone who will hear and believe.....Paul himself stressed thouroughly in his epistles , there is absolutely no difference in Jew or gentile in Christ. I suppose he was chosen for his mission , partly because of his knowledge of gentile cultures , his citizenship in Rome , a gentile Capitol, which his citizenship in Rome saved him more than once while on his journeys.


    Paul was born a Jew of the tribe of Benjamin , circumsized according to the law , but also Paul was by birth , a Roman citizen. It made him the obvious choice to specialize in gentile preaching, but that's all it was , he was specialized with a message to bring Gentiles into the chirch , and help Jews understand the changes that had happened

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,502

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    I don't just want to leave brother Walls out there hanging by himself. I too have considered the possibility that Barnabas was called to pair with Paul, to continue in the work of ministry together. The incident with John Mark appears to be framed in a way that justifies Paul not considering Mark mature enough yet to continue his missionary journeys. This is purely a reflection on the need to set an immature brother back to a level where he can grow and be strong enough to endure.

    Clearly, Barnabas saw the potential in Mark, and wanted to continue guiding him along. Since there is no real biblical judgment against Barnabas, I'd suggest that God didn't hold anything against either Paul or Barnabas, nor even against Mark. We are shown the fragility of young Christians, and the need to step back and take care of them, as well as the need to press on in the ministry, and not be side-tracked by a need to raise up young believers.

    I have to admit I've hoped that Barnabas wrote the book of Hebrews because he just disappears from the Bible after his breakup with Paul, and I think he deserves much credit for what he did do, taking Paul along, and ministering with him faithfully. Hebrews is a really good book, but it could've been written by either Paul or Barnabas--I just don't know.

    But I think Barnabas disappears from the biblical record not because he was being "disciplined" by the Lord, but rather, because the story of the ministry is Luke's emphasis in Acts. Since nobody is really being judged, and nobody says much after the incident, we need to refrain from judging. We can, however, assume that Paul was right, that Mark was not yet ready. That Mark wrote the Gospel of Mark speaks of Barnabas' good judgment that Mark needed to be focused on, raising him up in the Lord.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Some see leaving judgment in God's hands and simply showing grace to those who are a work in progress ( like Barnabas ) as Liberal Christianity and an abuse of grace when that isn't what anyone has insinuated and certainly isn't what happened in the case of Barnabas. Many Christians - even those well along in their walk - would do well to follow the example of Barnabas, because most people in the bible had gross moral failure while they were well into their walk, and thought they had it all figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    It may be that they are rebellious , or perhaps you are legalistic. I've been at this awhile now too, and you are the ONLY person I've ever heard run down Barnabas' example of restoration. Walls.... if we can't grasp restoration and forgiveness.. even with those who are not only new converts, but also those who are well along in their walk... then we need to check ourselves.

    "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for (i) doctrine, for (ii) reproof, for (iii) correction, for (iv) instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3:16). Am I called to task because I used the case of Barnabas as "instruction in righteousness" Let me show you something else. Hebrews 5:13-14 says;

    13 "For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."


    "Milk" says Peter, is for "Newborn Babes" (1st Pet.2:1-2) and its taste is that our Lord is "GRACIOUS". But "STRONG MEAT" is the "Word of RIGHTEOUSNESS." Hoping not to declare myself as "of full age" (for I fail more than Barnabas), I would like to say that we all like GRACE. But it is "MILK". And the Lord wants us to be "weaned" and go on to MATURITY - to "strong meat". Maybe my posting was too "strong" for some. But am I not, as possessing this "strong meat", to give it to my fellow Christians? In Matthew 24:45, "Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?", the word "meat" is the same word, and means "food" or "rations" or "nourishment". Is there not a day when the young man must "chew" instead of suck! Is there not a day when God requires MATURE ACTION and withholds grace. Ask Ananias.

    As I said in my very first posting on this thread, Barnabas is praised much, but he fell badly. Am I his judge? NO! I pointedly said he "MIGHT" have problems at the Judgment Seat of Christ. What am I then? I am a fallen man who has an example in scripture of the utmost import to all my brethren. An example of a much appreciated and praised brother who served well - and then made a critical error of judgment. Barnabas decided AGAINST the Holy Spirit in FAVOR of his cousin. Period. And we have a DIRE WARNING about this from the lips of our Lord Jesus Himself.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I don't just want to leave brother Walls out there hanging by himself. I too have considered the possibility that Barnabas was called to pair with Paul, to continue in the work of ministry together. The incident with John Mark appears to be framed in a way that justifies Paul not considering Mark mature enough yet to continue his missionary journeys. This is purely a reflection on the need to set an immature brother back to a level where he can grow and be strong enough to endure.

    Clearly, Barnabas saw the potential in Mark, and wanted to continue guiding him along. Since there is no real biblical judgment against Barnabas, I'd suggest that God didn't hold anything against either Paul or Barnabas, nor even against Mark. We are shown the fragility of young Christians, and the need to step back and take care of them, as well as the need to press on in the ministry, and not be side-tracked by a need to raise up young believers.

    I have to admit I've hoped that Barnabas wrote the book of Hebrews because he just disappears from the Bible after his breakup with Paul, and I think he deserves much credit for what he did do, taking Paul along, and ministering with him faithfully. Hebrews is a really good book, but it could've been written by either Paul or Barnabas--I just don't know.

    But I think Barnabas disappears from the biblical record not because he was being "disciplined" by the Lord, but rather, because the story of the ministry is Luke's emphasis in Acts. Since nobody is really being judged, and nobody says much after the incident, we need to refrain from judging. We can, however, assume that Paul was right, that Mark was not yet ready. That Mark wrote the Gospel of Mark speaks of Barnabas' good judgment that Mark needed to be focused on, raising him up in the Lord.
    Thanks for the supporting words. I would just like to add some observations - opinions if you like.
    • Mark in no way sinned. What he did was find out that he was not up to something and (rightfully) bailed out. I can testify of this too. After I retired I might have been accepted for work in an institution called MAF. But I am married, and I deemed that even if I could live the primitive life required in Sudan or Ethiopia or Borneo in my old age, my wife was not up to it health-wise nor physically. Did I waste something good? In my mind, yes, but at least I knew my limitations. Does not scripture admonish us to "count the cost and not be foolish?" (Lk.14:25-33)
    • Paul did not accuse Mark of anything moral. He simply stated that Mark had shown himself not up to THAT work
    • Paul kept his high opinion of Mark right to the end. In 2nd Timothy 4:11 Paul was a prisoner in one of the most affluent and pompous cities of the world. He was not calling Mark to the rigors of setting up Churches. Paul was a prisoner with the need for assistance in getting the gospel out of his cell, not in entering a hostile city with rejection, threats of death, hunger, thirst, poverty and no place to sleep. Paul's call for Mark was not a reconciliation. He did not dispute with Mark, but with Barnabas. Mark, if he was honest, probably admitted that he was not up to the work, and was probably thankful too be denied something that was over his head. Paul appreciated Mark in what he could do and what he could not do.
    • The subject of dispute in these preceding threads was NOT Mark. It was the actions of Barnabas. Each of us must weigh up his actions and NOT condemn him, but LEARN from it.

    In the gospel that Mark wrote, there is a narrative in Mark 14:50-52;

    50 "And they all forsook him, and fled.
    51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
    52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked."


    Most scholars believe that the "young man" was Mark. If so, we see Mark's character. He was ready to admit that he was as much a coward as the rest. Mark is just like the rest of us. Ready to flee at the drop of a hat, but being sheepishly honest about it later. The Bible is full of great men - men of renown. But the only Man Who did not have some terrible failure is Jesus Himself. From Abraham, through David, through Paul and Barnabas - they all failed miserably. Should we not be honest about our frailty - AND LEARN about ourselves? Trying to downplay a terrible mess is counterproductive.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,502

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Thanks for the supporting words. I would just like to add some observations - opinions if you like.
    • Mark in no way sinned. What he did was find out that he was not up to something and (rightfully) bailed out. I can testify of this too. After I retired I might have been accepted for work in an institution called MAF. But I am married, and I deemed that even if I could live the primitive life required in Sudan or Ethiopia or Borneo in my old age, my wife was not up to it health-wise nor physically. Did I waste something good? In my mind, yes, but at least I knew my limitations. Does not scripture admonish us to "count the cost and not be foolish?" (Lk.14:25-33)
    • Paul did not accuse Mark of anything moral. He simply stated that Mark had shown himself not up to THAT work
    • Paul kept his high opinion of Mark right to the end. In 2nd Timothy 4:11 Paul was a prisoner in one of the most affluent and pompous cities of the world. He was not calling Mark to the rigors of setting up Churches. Paul was a prisoner with the need for assistance in getting the gospel out of his cell, not in entering a hostile city with rejection, threats of death, hunger, thirst, poverty and no place to sleep. Paul's call for Mark was not a reconciliation. He did not dispute with Mark, but with Barnabas. Mark, if he was honest, probably admitted that he was not up to the work, and was probably thankful too be denied something that was over his head. Paul appreciated Mark in what he could do and what he could not do.
    • The subject of dispute in these preceding threads was NOT Mark. It was the actions of Barnabas. Each of us must weigh up his actions and NOT condemn him, but LEARN from it.

    In the gospel that Mark wrote, there is a narrative in Mark 14:50-52;

    50 "And they all forsook him, and fled.
    51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
    52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked."


    Most scholars believe that the "young man" was Mark. If so, we see Mark's character. He was ready to admit that he was as much a coward as the rest. Mark is just like the rest of us. Ready to flee at the drop of a hat, but being sheepishly honest about it later. The Bible is full of great men - men of renown. But the only Man Who did not have some terrible failure is Jesus Himself. From Abraham, through David, through Paul and Barnabas - they all failed miserably. Should we not be honest about our frailty - AND LEARN about ourselves? Trying to downplay a terrible mess is counterproductive.
    Well, I take all that you say as valid, but with a degree of hesitation. What you say about Mark, that he was vacillating, is true. I don't know if he continued this way all his life. I doubt it, since he likely was honored to have written the Gospel (though this is questioned), and he became the 1st bishop of Alexandria, as I understand it, being martyred at the end. Visiting Paul in prison indicates his new-found courage, in my view.

    Since this thread indicates Mark, it should not just be about Barnabas. Since Mark's contributions continue well after his earlier act of "cowardice," I think this speaks well of Barnabas, who wanted to devote time to him.

    The "split," therefore, between Paul and Barnabas was simply a choice for each of them to decide where to go, whether into the Gentile ministry or into the cultivation of future ministers. Since the Bible places no judgment on it, but only appears to emphasize the need to continue in ministry, the more important choice was Paul's, it seems?

    The only negative connotation at all is on the fact Christians can be "disagreeable" with one another. It did not stop the ministry, however, in either direction.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Well, I take all that you say as valid, but with a degree of hesitation. What you say about Mark, that he was vacillating, is true. I don't know if he continued this way all his life. I doubt it, since he likely was honored to have written the Gospel (though this is questioned), and he became the 1st bishop of Alexandria, as I understand it, being martyred at the end. Visiting Paul in prison indicates his new-found courage, in my view.

    Since this thread indicates Mark, it should not just be about Barnabas. Since Mark's contributions continue well after his earlier act of "cowardice," I think this speaks well of Barnabas, who wanted to devote time to him.

    The "split," therefore, between Paul and Barnabas was simply a choice for each of them to decide where to go, whether into the Gentile ministry or into the cultivation of future ministers. Since the Bible places no judgment on it, but only appears to emphasize the need to continue in ministry, the more important choice was Paul's, it seems?

    The only negative connotation at all is on the fact Christians can be "disagreeable" with one another. It did not stop the ministry, however, in either direction.
    I can agree with all this.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by znpaaneah View Post
    Mark had a failure -- He didn't understand what it meant to be a servant of Christ, his ministry reveals Jesus as a slave.
    Paul had a failure -- he didn't see the Body of Christ when he was persecuting the saints. His ministry reveals the Body of Christ.
    Peter had a failure -- He denied the Lord 3 times and Satan wanted to sift him as wheat. His ministry lays hands on Paul who was being attacked by everyone, he lays his hands on Mark and restores him, and he makes up the lack in Paul's ministry being married and an elder.
    James had a failure -- those of the circumcision that Paul refers to were "from James". His ministry helps those who were confused in making this change from the OT to the NT.
    Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

    Nice little summary.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Resting in Him
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Failure is always a great teacher if we let it be a great teacher ...
    ***
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

    Psalms 25:5
    ***

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Earth, still.
    Posts
    139

    Re: A quick question about Mark of the Gospel of Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Christinme View Post
    Failure is always a great teacher … if we let it be a great teacher ...
    Amen to that !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 139
    Last Post: Dec 30th 2016, 05:47 PM
  2. Question about Mark 6:4 and Luke 12:52-53
    By Uncle Bud in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Apr 5th 2015, 09:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 21st 2015, 09:03 PM
  4. The Book of Mark Question/ Need Help!
    By CasualDude10 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 21st 2014, 07:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •