Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Work necessary for Salvation?

A Work necessary for Salvation?

Jesus told a number of people what they needed to do to be Saved. These things could conceivably fall into the category of "Works," though certainly not in the sense that they were able to "earn Salvation!" So do you think that we can explain these "Works to be Saved" in any way? My own view is that these "works" are designed for each individual based on what they need to do to give up their independent carnal lives for the life of Christ.

Thoughts? Here are a few pertinent Scriptures...

Matt 19.16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
    17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Mark 16.Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

John 6.27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Acts 16.31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Rom 2.7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

2 Tim 1.9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

Titus 3.5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

The things we do to be Saved appear to be different from what Christ did on the cross to save us from our sins. Christ's job was to forgive us. Our job is to accept that forgiveness by putting aside our own ways in favor of his ways.

Re: A Work necessary for Salvation?

John 6:28 - Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    John 6:28 - Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
    Thanks for responding, brother. I do understand your typical focus on Grace, on Salvation by Faith Alone. I *completely* share that pov.

However, I've been put in a bind by those who cite some of the earlier verses I quoted. Salvation by Christ Alone is perfectly evident in Titus 3.5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

On the other hand, Jesus did ask men to do something just to get started, completely distinct from "earning Salvation." These were not works to redeem themselves, but rather, acts of obedience necessary to receive Christ's offer of Salvation.

I fully understand that this can be confusing. Salvation by Faith Alone--a view I hold--would seem to prohibit any sense of our own "works" in obtaining Salvation. But I do think there is a difference between doing what we need to do to *accept Salvation* from what Christ had to do to *redeem us from our sins?*

So in one sense it seems wrong to equate what we need to do to "receive Salvation" with "works," right? But these "works" are actually an acknowledgement that righteousness comes from putting into action the words of obedience that God requires of us. In thus obeying God we acknowledge our need for His virtue, and thus, for His mercy.

This is the bottom line need we need to acknowledge in order to receive Salvation, and clearly does require a kind of "work," in my view. It is a "work" of a special kind, that acknowledges the virtue as coming from Christ, and thus, the means of redemption, or saving works, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Here is the part the "free grace" folks miss. If you actually BELIEVE Jesus then you will do what He said because He is Lord. Saying, "I believe in Jesus" and then living in sin, means nothing. There is no salvation in deceit. Doing what He said involves baptism, repentance, kindness, etc. Actually following Jesus is the way, not mere words.

Luke 6:46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Real belief is DOING, not just empty words.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Jesus told a number of people what they needed to do to be Saved. These things could conceivably fall into the category of "Works," though certainly not in the sense that they were able to "earn Salvation!" So do you think that we can explain these "Works to be Saved" in any way? My own view is that these "works" are designed for each individual based on what they need to do to give up their independent carnal lives for the life of Christ.

Thoughts? Here are a few pertinent Scriptures...

Matt 19.16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
    17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Mark 16.Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

John 6.27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Acts 16.31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Rom 2.7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

2 Tim 1.9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

Titus 3.5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

The things we do to be Saved appear to be different from what Christ did on the cross to save us from our sins. Christ's job was to forgive us. Our job is to accept that forgiveness by putting aside our own ways in favor of his ways.

Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the Lord thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee.

Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

...and it shall be to the Lord for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”
    **Isaiah‬ *55:3-11, 13‬ *KJV‬‬

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... In him was life; and the life was the light of men. The light shined in the darkness, but the darkness comprehended it not. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He came unto his own, ( Israel) and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”
    **John‬ *1:1, 3-5, 9, 11-14, 17-18‬ *KJV‬‬

“The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined...

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever.

The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.
    **Isaiah‬ *9:2, 6-8‬ *KJV‬‬

Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people. My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.”
    **Isaiah‬ *51:4-5‬ *KJV‬‬

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word....And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not....He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”
    **John‬ *8:42-43, 45, 47, 51‬ *KJV‬‬

“For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
    **John‬ *12:49-50‬ *KJV‬‬

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.”
    **John‬ *6:63, 68-69‬ *KJV‬‬

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
    **John‬ *8:12, 23-24, 26, 31-32‬ *KJV‬‬

.....salvation comes from believing the gospel . By faith

we don't say " gods work is just believe in the one he sent " and then say " nothing the one I believe in said m applies to salvation " we try to detach action from faith , by calling it works.

faith doesn't say " I believe in Jesus , but I don't believe anything he said about salvation which only he can give " faith isn't " I believe so therefore I don't need to hear and obey the lord " ......faith is what produces obedience , it convinces us of obedience , it doesn't argue faith means we don't need to hear and obey Gods word ......

to believe in Jesus is to believe the word of God , spoken by Jesus concerning salvation. Repentance , how were supposed to treat people , what the lord himself said about the offer he made what to believe , what to avoid , how to overcome sin ....

we don't get to altar the offer God made of salvation, were supposed to learn the gospel and believe it all unti obedience and salvation to the gospel , tomjesus Christ the word of God. We don't have to ink " first I need to do everything he said , and if I do it all good enough he might save me"

we have to believe , and not omit the things he says , which offend our own thinking. We can't deny the truth , we have to believe , that's it . Believe in Jesus , trust his word is true ...it's why he was sent. " for this reason was I born and I came into the world , to bear witness to the truth , whoever is of the truth listens to my voice"

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]
    we don't say " gods work is just believe in the one he sent " and then say " nothing the one I believe in said m applies to salvation " we try to detach action from faith , by calling it works.

faith doesn't say " I believe in Jesus , but I don't believe anything he said about salvation which only he can give " faith isn't " I believe so therefore I don't need to hear and obey the lord " ......faith is what produces obedience , it convinces us of obedience , it doesn't argue faith means we don't need to hear and obey Gods word ......

to believe in Jesus is to believe the word of God , spoken by Jesus concerning salvation. Repentance , how were supposed to treat people , what the lord himself said about the offer he made what to believe , what to avoid , how to overcome sin ....

we don't get to altar the offer God made of salvation, were supposed to learn the gospel and believe it all unti obedience and salvation to the gospel , tomjesus Christ the word of God. We don't have to ink " first I need to do everything he said , and if I do it all good enough he might save me"

we have to believe , and not omit the things he says , which offend our own thinking. We can't deny the truth , we have to believe , that's it . Believe in Jesus , trust his word is true ...it's why he was sent. " for this reason was I born and I came into the world , to bear witness to the truth , whoever is of the truth listens to my voice"
    Yea, I think that's right. We can't do enough good to "earn Salvation," but we can do the kind of works that Faith requires of us, in terms of obedience to Christ's word, and in obedience to how God defines Salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Here is the part the "free grace" folks miss. If you actually BELIEVE Jesus then you will do what He said because He is Lord. Saying, "I believe in Jesus" and then living in sin, means nothing. There is no salvation in deceit. Doing what He said involves baptism, repentance, kindness, etc. Actually following Jesus is the way, not mere words.

If you BELIEVE in Jesus unto salvation, then you have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus for salvation. (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31 etc..). Doing what Jesus says after having been saved is works and is the fruit of believing. All genuine believers are fruitful, but not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) Those who truly believe in Jesus practice righteousness and not sin. (1 John 3:9,10) Water baptism follows salvation through believing in Jesus (Acts 10:43-47) and repentance precedes saving belief/faith. (Acts 11:17,18; 20:21) Seeking salvation by works is not following Jesus, but if following false religion.[/QUOTE]

Luke 6:46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
    In regards to Matthew 7:21-23, (I will never forget, prior to my conversion several years ago while still attending the Roman Catholic church) I read Matthew 7:22 and thought to myself, WOW! These many people accomplished all of that, "prophesied in His name, cast out demons, and did many wonderful works" but that still was not "good enough?" Then I thought to myself at that time, how am I going to "top that" and be "good enough?" Such is the mindset of someone who believes that obtaining salvation is based on works.

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. *John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

These many people (unbelievers) in Matthew 7:22 had the wrong foundation. They were trusting in their works to save them and NOT IN CHRIST ALONE. Jesus NEVER knew them which means they were NEVER saved. Their hearts were not right with God, so their "attempted external obedience" (apart from the righteousness of God which is by faith and the blood of Christ) was stained with sin. *Seeking salvation by works is not the will of the Father.

John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge. These many people were not true converts. *Without faith it's impossible to please God no matter how many alleged wonderful works that these many people set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain effort to obtain salvation based on works. This is why Jesus referred to these many people as "workers of iniquity." God does not see the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus (Romans 4:5-6; Philippians 3:9) in unbelievers, but He see's all of their sins which remain and have not been washed away by the blood of Christ.

There is a difference between doing God's will IN ORDER TO BECOME SAVED (John 6:40) and doing God's will AFTER WE HAVE BEEN SAVED (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18)

Real belief RESULTS in doing and not just empty words. In James 2:14, we read of one who merely says/claims they have faith but have no works (to validate their claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. James does not teach that we are saved "by" works, yet his concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is vindicated, substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-24). *Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works.* It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-24).
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Salvation produces works. works do not produce salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Yes, true. But the problem I've had is, as I said, semantics. It is argued that people have been asked by Christ to *do* some things in the process of receiving Salvation. Can we call those things "works," or is that confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Yes, true. But the problem I've had is, as I said, semantics. It is argued that people have been asked by Christ to *do* some things in the process of receiving Salvation. Can we call those things "works," or is that confusing?
    Repentance is the only thing that anyone can do. And they can't even do that without assistance from the Holy Spirit. Repentance is more of an ANIT - work than a work. It's giving up and turning to God. It's giving up control and surrendering. So, no... it's not a work.

You hit the nail on the head!

Repentance is the only thing that anyone can do. And they can't even do that without assistance from the Holy Spirit. Repentance is more of an ANIT - work than a work. It's giving up and turning to God. It's giving up control and surrendering. So, no... it's not a work.
    What is an "ANIT?"

Yes, I knew it would be difficult to describe as a "work" something that is normally representing self-justifying works. But I cannot deny that there are things *we must do* to obtain our Salvation, even though these are not self-justifying works.

As you indicated, one of the things we must do--the only thing, according to you--is *repent.* Is this a work? Not according to you.

The reason I've described the things we must do to obtain Salvation as "works" is because there are those, like Walls, who try to distinguish between receiving Eternal Life without Works and earning a place in Christ's Kingdom by Works of Obedience.

I have to admit that there is this confusion between Earning Rewards in God's Kingdom and things we *must do* to simply obtain Salvation. And so, I've depicted the things we must do to obtain Salvation as a unique form of Works--a Works that cannot Earn Salvation, and Works that are not Self-Justifying.

If you admit that we must *repent* in order to receive Salvation, that is a roundabout way of acknowledging what I've been saying, that there is a unique kind of Works that we must indeed do to be Saved. We must 1) accept the Salvation Christ provided for us, and 2) we must do what Christ requires of us in order to receive Salvation.

If Christ tells a rich man he must give up his wealth to receive Salvation, is this not a form of Work? And if Christ requires of the rich man that he give up his wealth, who am I to say that Christ cannot require this Work in order to be Justified for Salvation? The basis for receiving Salvation is determined by Christ, and not by how we define Repentance, right?

You may say that only acknowledging our sin, or confessing Christ as our Justifier, is the exclusive basis for obtaining Salvation. But what if Christ required of the rich man that he do these things by performing a concrete form of this Repentance and Confession? Why can Christ not require Repentance from us by asking us to Do Something in order to be Saved?

I understand a lot of the problem here involves semantics. But do give it a try?

I think the problem is that we *must* define Repentance as a Work, in a sense, because it is *something Man must do.* That is a Work, right?

But what Christ did on the Cross was a Work only Christ could do, right? So, in that sense all of Man's Works are worthless in terms of earning our atonement, since only Christ, the sinless man, could accomplish that.

This is the dilemma. Sinful Man cannot obtain his own redemption by any Work he does. And yet Christ still asks a Work from us in order to receive his Work of Redemption.

So how should we define this Work that Sinful Man must do to obtain a Work that only Christ could achieve? You call it "Repentance."

But I have to define this "Repentance" as a Work, of sorts, if for no other reason that Christ required that men *do something* to prove that Repentance. And that, by definition, is a Human Work!

This illustrates, for me, the greatness of God's Grace, that he asks something of Sinful Man to do, as a Work, in order to prove his repentance, and in order to receive Salvation. We, of course, did not earn the Salvation that Christ alone obtained for us. But we do perform a work to qualify as a recipient of his Grace, right? And is this not the whole sense of what "Grace" is, that Sinful Man can reach out and receive, of his own volition, the Righteousness of God in Christ?

That would be a typo...

It should have read ANTI - work. The opposite of work.

That would be a typo...

[QUOTE=randyk;3526510]What is an "ANIT?"
    The reason I've described the things we must do to obtain Salvation as "works" is because there are those, like Walls, who try to distinguish between receiving Eternal Life without Works and earning a place in Christ's Kingdom by Works of Obedience.
    Wall's doctrinal errors are much deeper than this. He flat out posted that Jesus does not justify the sinner. He didn't come for that. Those were his very words.

If you admit that we must *repent* in order to receive Salvation, that is a roundabout way of acknowledging what I've been saying, that there is a unique kind of Works that we must indeed do to be Saved. We must 1) accept the Salvation Christ provided for us, and 2) we must do what Christ requires of us in order to receive Salvation.
    This is where I actually kinda sorta line up with the reformed camp. Scripturally speaking of course, since we are filled with the Holy Spirit the moment we place genuine faith in Christ, He will empower the change, or full circle repentance in out lives. So no, I don't see repentance as a work. I see it as God MOVING us in His direction after we yield to him in belief. AKA surrender.

If Christ tells a rich man he must give up his wealth to receive Salvation, is this not a form of Work? And if Christ requires of the rich man that he give up his wealth, who am I to say that Christ cannot require this Work in order to be Justified for Salvation? The basis for receiving Salvation is determined by Christ, and not by how we define Repentance, right?
    "Give up" is another description of the term surrender. I'm not saying repentance isn't a choice , because it is. But it's only possible through the power of the Holy Spirit. So in reality, who gets the credit for it ? Us or The Holy Spirit ?

You may say that only acknowledging our sin, or confessing Christ as our Justifier, is the exclusive basis for obtaining Salvation. But what if Christ required of the rich man that he do these things by performing a concrete form of this Repentance and Confession? Why can Christ not require Repentance from us by asking us to Do Something in order to be Saved?
    Again, see the term surrender, belief, yield. The only "ACT" is removing ourselves as our master and submitting to Christ. Then the "doing" is possible.

I understand a lot of the problem here involves semantics. But do give it a try?

I think the problem is that we *must* define Repentance as a Work, in a sense, because it is *something Man must do.* That is a Work, right?
    I see it as a choice. Not a work. Again, the "doing" comes after the choice, and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

But what Christ did on the Cross was a Work only Christ could do, right? So, in that sense all of Man's Works are worthless in terms of earning our atonement, since only Christ, the sinless man, could accomplish that.
    Exactly and Amen.

This is the dilemma. Sinful Man cannot obtain his own redemption by any Work he does. And yet Christ still asks a Work from us in order to receive his Work of Redemption.
    It's not a dilemma when we see that all we do is submit and allow God to work THROUGH us instead of us WORKING to obtain.

So how should we define this Work that Sinful Man must do to obtain a Work that only Christ could achieve? You call it "Repentance."
    Surrender.
    But I have to define this "Repentance" as a Work, of sorts, if for no other reason that Christ required that men *do something* to prove that Repentance. And that, by definition, is a Human Work!

This illustrates, for me, the greatness of God's Grace, that he asks something of Sinful Man to do, as a Work, in order to prove his repentance, and in order to receive Salvation. We, of course, did not earn the Salvation that Christ alone obtained for us. But we do perform a work to qualify as a recipient of his Grace, right? And is this not the whole sense of what "Grace" is, that Sinful Man can reach out and receive, of his own volition, the Righteousness of God in Christ?
    It's only when man stops doing things and submits to Christ's way of doing things can anything ever truly be done. And it's Christ in us, not us working for Christ.

That would be a typo...

Thanks brother. I can read letters out of order, but I had to be sure. I sure don't know every acronym out there!

Thread Information