Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new Bible?

Recommendation for new Bible?

I take a New American Standard Bible with me to church because, except for a huge index in the front, it has very few footnotes or side margin info...it's pretty straight forward. I also have a New King James Study Bible I use along side the NASB when I'm studying the Word of God at home.

I'd like to add a third translation to use when I'm reading through the scriptures. I know there are apps with many translations on my phone but I prefer an actual Bible when at home.

What translation would you advise me to purchase? Is there a specific Bible that you recommend in that translation?

Both the NKJ and NAS are from the word-for-word side of the spectrum, so I'm thinking I might want a more thought-for-thought Bible such as the CSB, NIV, or NLT?

I would like something accurate that's not overly difficult to read or understand. In a perfect world I would like the words of Christ in red and the Bible to have a larger than normal print, but these are not requirements.

Unfortunately there are not any Christian bookstores within a 30 mile radius of me to where I can check out many Bibles in one place.

Thank you for any help you can give!

TripleB

Re: Recommendation for new Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    I take a New American Standard Bible with me to church because, except for a huge index in the front, it has very few footnotes or side margin info...it's pretty straight forward. I also have a New King James Study Bible I use along side the NASB when I'm studying the Word of God at home.

I'd like to add a third translation to use when I'm reading through the scriptures. I know there are apps with many translations on my phone but I prefer an actual Bible when at home.

What translation would you advise me to purchase? Is there a specific Bible that you recommend in that translation?

Both the NKJ and NAS are from the word-for-word side of the spectrum, so I'm thinking I might want a more thought-for-thought Bible such as the CSB, NIV, or NLT?

I would like something accurate that's not overly difficult to read or understand. In a perfect world I would like the words of Christ in red and the Bible to have a larger than normal print, but these are not requirements.

Unfortunately there are not any Christian bookstores within a 30 mile radius of me to where I can check out many Bibles in one place.

TripleB
    I consider American Standard 1901 version is the best. Darby's version is also quite good.

I don't think the New American Standard is as good as either of those.

KJV is a very beautiful sounding version.

NIV is also one that I use frequently.

The perfect bible for me, would be an interlinear bible composed of every modern translation paralleled with one another per page.
    But also including the corresponding original earliest record text in their original archaic languages paralleled on the same page too.

Yeah, I know it would be not just a thick and heavy book, but would be a very large book in it's square dimensions too.

And it would have no commentaries per page either, but I have no objection to it having commentaries at the rear of the book.
    Last edited by Jacob's Ladder; Sep 4th 2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: emote

TripleB
    For simple reading/listening, I like the NLT. For study of the text, I use NKJV and ESV.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Blog Entries

TripleB
    The three you mentioned are all good. Id take CSB or NIV over NLT if you are only buying one because they are committee translations whereas the NLT only had each book translated by one scholar each.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    The three you mentioned are all good. I’d take CSB or NIV over NLT if you are only buying one because they are committee translations whereas the NLT only had each book translated by one scholar each.
    Thus why the latest purchases have been an ESV and a CSB.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

I couldn't agree more with wanting to have a Bible in your hand. Me too! I heard the ESV was a good one. I use the classic KJV mainly.

The NLT is far from perfect, but I like having one on hand for some of the more difficult passages. You can read it and then compare the Greek or Hebrew and decide for yourself if it's a good rendering.

For your public use, like at church or in large bible study groups, I'd use what ever translation or version your fellows use there, just to not offend them.

But, for your personal/private use I'd use which ever translation or version is most readable for you personally.

Either way, Jesus will not allow you to be lead astray by any version or translation as long as you trust in His work done, and follow His life lived example on Earth.

PS: in the future (if Jesus tarries) a good investment for you IMO would be a quite small personal/private library that can easily fit on one single book shelf, populated with a number of modern translation.
    Add to that an exhaustive concordance, and a Greek and Hebrew lexicon dictionary.
    Then later just for gravy sake: add a few (old) Bible commentaries to that small library as you go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    For your public use, like at church or in large bible study groups, I'd use what ever translation or version your fellows use there, just to not offend them.
    How is this possible on two levels?

1) In a church, not all will use the same translation.
    2) If I preach from a translation another doesn't use, how can they be offended?
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    How is this possible on two levels?

1) In a church, not all will use the same translation.
    2) If I preach from a translation another doesn't use, how can they be offended?
    Hi Slug1, meaning no disrespect at all.
    The answer is to use common sense, just from past experience the majority of members in a congregation are using the same version or translation that their elders and pastor use. You can check the validity of that statement just by looking for yourself the next few times you gather together to worship collectively.
    ....I do not suggest asking your elders or pastor as to which version or translation to use (although I do not see anything wrong with that).
    It's just sheep's tendency to mimic and follow their leaders.
    Yes, I am saying we are sheep, just as Jesus did say it more than twice:
    We are easily led astray, like sheep.
    Feed my sheep.

As for my suggestion while in public just to not offend them ie: church or bible studies to use whatever translation or version that your fellows use there, "just to not offend them".
    ....It looks to me that you may have misread or misunderstood what I said there. If not then would you clarify further, because your question on that half puzzles me.

Blog Entries

Hi Slug1, meaning no disrespect at all.
    The answer is to use common sense, just from past experience the majority of members in a congregation are using the same version or translation that their elders and pastor use. You can check the validity of that statement just by looking for yourself the next few times you gather together to worship collectively.
    ....I do not suggest asking your elders or pastor as to which version or translation to use (although I do not see anything wrong with that).
    It's just sheep's tendency to mimic and follow their leaders.
    Yes, I am saying we are sheep, just as Jesus did say it more than twice:
    We are easily led astray, like sheep.
    Feed my sheep.

As for my suggestion while in public just to not offend them ie: church or bible studies to use whatever translation or version that your fellows use there, "just to not offend them".
    ....It looks to me that you may have misread or misunderstood what I said there. If not then would you clarify further, because your question on that half puzzles me.
    Common sense huh. Well, based on my personal experience as an elder, eventually lead elder and even serving God as an associate pastor (even though the sn. pastor referred to me a his executive pastor), I have not found a majority of the congregation use the same translation as elders/pastors.

Sheep are not to mimic there leadership, the leadership is to disciple and equip those they are responsible for. Now, if a member of the church does ask what translation I use, well... I preach from my NKJV (when I "just" read, this is the translation as well), I study with my ESV, CSB, KJV, Interlinear (also KJV for the English parts), NIV, and HCSB. I usually smile at the reactions I've received as I answer this way
    Slug1--out

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Common sense huh. Well, based on my personal experience as an elder, eventually lead elder and even serving God as an associate pastor (even though the sn. pastor referred to me a his executive pastor), I have not found a majority of the congregation use the same translation as elders/pastors.

Sheep are not to mimic there leadership, the leadership is to disciple and equip those they are responsible for. Now, if a member of the church does ask what translation I use, well... I preach from my NKJV (when I "just" read, this is the translation as well), I study with my ESV, CSB, KJV, Interlinear (also KJV for the English parts), NIV, and HCSB. I usually smile at the reactions I've received as I answer this way
    Have I offended you ?
    Because I am intrigued how you have in two post on this thread, you have misread or misrepresented what I have shared.

Blog Entries

Have I offended you ?
    Because I am intrigued how you have in two post on this thread, you have misread or misrepresented what I have shared.
    I don't allow myself to be offended but in transparency, I can be frustrated.

You stated this in opening:

"The answer is to use common sense,"
    So I relayed that from experience, what you say is common sense, isn't common sense. Nor do "sheep" mimic leadership. Maybe if a churches leadership disciples/equips with a "do as I say, do as I do" method of discipleship, all the membership of such a church will learn to mimic who leads them.

As a leader, I know that when a member in any church only mimics, then the leader will have difficulty in equipping those who only mimic. My responsibility is to equip them for what God has in store for THEM. And what God has me doing, may not be what He wants for them... so mimicing me is not a good thing.

I will say this too, I'm saying this from experience because a long time ago, I was being discipled in a manner where I was expected to mimic the pastor over me... boy, was that a disaster.
    Slug1--out

Thread Information