Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Take Up Your Cross" & Multiple Crucifixions

Re: "Take Up Your Cross" & Multiple Crucifixions

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    What does it mean to take up your cross "daily," if Christ was crucified "once for all?"

"The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.” And [Jesus] said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." (Luke 9:22-24)

Does this mean we are symbolically crucified every day, or make the sacrifice to self repeatedly? That is the most common teaching from the passage, in my experience. But in reading, I've run into some problems:

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. (Galatians 2:20)
    We know that our old self was crucified with Him ... (Romans 6:6)
    Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)
    You, who were dead in your trespasses ... God made alive ... by canceling the record of debt ... nailing it to the cross. (Colossians 2)

In the letters, the conversion by death to self is treated as a past-tense, one-time event that we have clear before-and-after states in. Our old selves were crucified "with Him." Our sins have been nailed to the cross of Christ - a past event. So my confusion now is that we cannot be crucified with Him multiple times - as He only died once for all. In fact the importance of this is one of the main ideas behind Hebrews:

We have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all ... Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins ... For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10)

So how can we be crucified with Christ "daily?"

One idea is that Jesus in Luke 9 was speaking about carrying around our crucified self (meaning, living in our current fallen/sinful body daily), and following Him through the Spirit? Or perhaps this cross analogy was used for a totally separate topic from the other NT verses?
    I love this post! Thank you for posting it. I tried to rep you but I have to spread the love a little bit first.

I think we could go on this topic for a long time and not come to the end of it. Here's a few words for thought...

1. We are crucified with Christ. The old man is dead. When the old man was alive, we really had no choice but to sin. He drove us. Think back to when you were lost... did you ever have any power over sin at all? I didn't. No matter how hard I tried, I was still driven to sin.

2. Take up your cross, deny yourself and follow me. Where does that mention another crucifixion for us? I think it is talking about denial of self.

3. Yet, Paul wrote "I die daily". He did indeed! He would not allow self back on the throne. He also taught about "put off the old man and put on the new man". But I thought the old man was dead! Already crucified! The way I think about this is that our flesh, the natural part, had years of training under the old man. It has a LOT of bad habits developed from all those years he was in control. We have to have our minds renewed and put off the old man way of thinking. Not a simple topic by any stretch, but a very important one IMO.

I see it this way...

1. Egypt - the old man, Pharoah, is fully in charge and drives us to build a house for him. We are completely dominated and driven by our old man when we are lost.

2. The wilderness experience. This is when we are saved, but self is still on the throne. Yet, we believe in God and follow Him, sometimes. But there's a real battle between who will be in charge. We have yet to learn submission to God (i.e. take up your cross and follow me is not yet a habit and sometimes, not even a desire!)

3. Canaan - the life of victory! Here, we are not sinless, but we are overcoming the strongholds in our life. Jericho comes down. But then we slip up in sin and Ai defeats us. But overall, we are careful to do all that God commands. He is on the throne here, and we have embraced the cross, meaning self no longer is allowed to rule. Self is "dead" or secondary to Jesus. We no longer choose to submit the members of our body to habitual sin.

We see the same three concepts developed over and over again in scripture. 1. The natural or lost man. 2. The carnal/fleshly (but saved) man. 3. The spiritual man.

At the risk of being redundant... once the old man is crucified with Christ, we are saved. We now can choose to live right before God. We can choose to take up our cross and follow Him. Or choose to let self be on the throne. Before we are saved, we serve the old man and are absolutely driven to sin.

Not sure if this brings any clarity or not. But I really like the question and the direction of your post.

God bless!

Mark

What does it mean to take up your cross "daily," if Christ was crucified "once for all?"

"The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.” And [Jesus] said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." (Luke 9:22-24)

Does this mean we are symbolically crucified every day, or make the sacrifice to self repeatedly? That is the most common teaching from the passage, in my experience. But in reading, I've run into some problems:

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. (Galatians 2:20)
    Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)
    You, who were dead in your trespasses ... God made alive ... by canceling the record of debt ... nailing it to the cross. (Colossians 2)

In the letters, the conversion by death to self is treated as a past-tense, one-time event that we have clear before-and-after states in. Our old selves were crucified "with Him." Our sins have been nailed to the cross of Christ - a past event. So my confusion now is that we cannot be crucified with Him multiple times - as He only died once for all. In fact the importance of this is one of the main ideas behind Hebrews:

We have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all ... Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins ... For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10)

One idea is that Jesus in Luke 9 was speaking about carrying around our crucified self (meaning, living in our current fallen/sinful body daily), and following Him through the Spirit? Or perhaps this cross analogy was used for a totally separate topic from the other NT verses?
    I love this post! Thank you for posting it. I tried to rep you but I have to spread the love a little bit first.

I think we could go on this topic for a long time and not come to the end of it. Here's a few words for thought...

1. We are crucified with Christ. The old man is dead. When the old man was alive, we really had no choice but to sin. He drove us. Think back to when you were lost... did you ever have any power over sin at all? I didn't. No matter how hard I tried, I was still driven to sin.

2. Take up your cross, deny yourself and follow me. Where does that mention another crucifixion for us? I think it is talking about denial of self.

3. Yet, Paul wrote "I die daily". He did indeed! He would not allow self back on the throne. He also taught about "put off the old man and put on the new man". But I thought the old man was dead! Already crucified! The way I think about this is that our flesh, the natural part, had years of training under the old man. It has a LOT of bad habits developed from all those years he was in control. We have to have our minds renewed and put off the old man way of thinking. Not a simple topic by any stretch, but a very important one IMO.

I see it this way...

1. Egypt - the old man, Pharoah, is fully in charge and drives us to build a house for him. We are completely dominated and driven by our old man when we are lost.

2. The wilderness experience. This is when we are saved, but self is still on the throne. Yet, we believe in God and follow Him, sometimes. But there's a real battle between who will be in charge. We have yet to learn submission to God (i.e. take up your cross and follow me is not yet a habit and sometimes, not even a desire!)

3. Canaan - the life of victory! Here, we are not sinless, but we are overcoming the strongholds in our life. Jericho comes down. But then we slip up in sin and Ai defeats us. But overall, we are careful to do all that God commands. He is on the throne here, and we have embraced the cross, meaning self no longer is allowed to rule. Self is "dead" or secondary to Jesus. We no longer choose to submit the members of our body to habitual sin.

We see the same three concepts developed over and over again in scripture. 1. The natural or lost man. 2. The carnal/fleshly (but saved) man. 3. The spiritual man.

At the risk of being redundant... once the old man is crucified with Christ, we are saved. We now can choose to live right before God. We can choose to take up our cross and follow Him. Or choose to let self be on the throne. Before we are saved, we serve the old man and are absolutely driven to sin.

Not sure if this brings any clarity or not. But I really like the question and the direction of your post.

God bless!

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

For me, picking up my cross 'daily' (daily as compared to a one-time/done-deal) is joyfully submitting to the Worlds snubs, alienation, persecution and condemnation of me for at least trying to live my life in obedience to Jesus's life lived example recorded for us to follow.

I am presuming that things like the examples of burdens offered below also might well be picking up my cross 'daily' too:
    I have many burdens upon my heart (and I do mean many) burdens that I carry minute by minute in my year's of days.
    ....Some of those burdens are the indictments pronounced upon Jesus's church by Jesus Himself found in chapter 2 of Revelation.
    ....Some of those burdens are my prayers and even some meager physical labor that I spend on my lost fellows.
    ....Some of those burdens (the heaviest ones) are prayers for my fellows who are not lost, but willfully/intentionally live exclusively for their soul's appetites rather than living in obedience to Jesus God's Lamb.
    ....Some times my burden is just crawling out of bed to endure another day in this dark, lost, weakening defiled World.

Hi Aviyah,

I thought this passage might be a good addition to the overall discussion.

2 Cor 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; 8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So death works in us, but life in you.

God bless

Mark

Here's my thread on it.
    It-really-means-something-else

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for these replies, they are all great!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Hi Aviyah,

2 Cor 4:7
    Okay this definitely clarifies things a bit. So maybe it represents always carrying the effects or consequences of the crucifixion (a dead self and living spirit). I can see using this as a bridge between the two ideas.

Thanks everyone for these replies, they are all great!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Hi Aviyah,

2 Cor 4:7
    Okay this definitely clarifies things a bit. So maybe it represents always carrying the effects or consequences of the crucifixion (a dead self and living spirit). I can see using this as a bridge between the two ideas.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    Punishment and death at the hands of who?
    Huh...Did Jesus die by suicide?
    Did Christ' death not represent the price paid for our sins?

If it has nothing to do with ceasing from sin, then you won't suffer as Jesus did,

Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. Heb.12:4

In fact, the ungodly will love you, for sinners also love those that love them. Lk.6:32
    It is your opinion that sinners will love me because I love them according to this passage Luke 6:32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. Right?

The greatest disservice to the Word of God is using scripture without really understanding its meaning. Sadly you're not the first and won't be the last. If you claim you have ceased from sin while still living in this mortal body, I would say; good on you! Perhaps, you're next to Jesus Christ who lived a life of sinless perfection Heb 12:4 also did not say that believers are already perfect which is what a life without a spot of sin entails.

When Paul said we should live without sin, he didn't mean we able to live completely without sin e.g. a lie here, anger and jealousy there, etc. But ultimately, these sins unintentional or otherwise are forgiven us by His grace. However, grace should not wilfully be used as a licence to sin, hence Paul asked, should we sin because are in grace? (Rom 6:15). It's about walking a fine line where even though we are saved, we also acknowledge our hopelessness to live that sinless life that's expected of us on our own strength. Hence, we daily recognise we are a sinner, lost without grace. For, if you are without sin, why then ask for Christ' mercy and forgiveness? Since becoming saved, perhaps you've NEVER asked Jesus for mercy and forgiveness because if you have, then you have your answer that you're wrong!

That's true in one sense, but that sense also means we're alive to God and it's in this sense that some teachers have perverted the sacrifice of our dear Lord Jesus.
    Rom 6:7 means the dead LITERALLY cease from sin which contrasts with the living. Again, your understanding of the passage is completely awry.
    Go well brother and may the good Lord give you the knowledge of the truth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Well, this comes to mind. 1 Cor. 15:31 "I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily."

Permit me to ramble on for a bit. My health issues are at times, overwhelming. But the Spirit of the Lord is strongest while I am overcome by them.*I have a bad sphincter valve and I inhale a little of my food when I eat. It has gotten so bad, It seems the next bout of infection will end me. I get a little cut on my leg and a bacteria moves in that has survived two rounds of antibiotics. I am currently using drawing salve on it.

It seems everything is working against me and yet I feel more productive, in the Lord's work. So, are these little annoyances suffering? I find that I don't know and I don't care. Maybe God is preparing me for something. I fully believe all things work for my good (Romans 8:28). I am also persuaded that the suffering in this life is not to be compared to the glory awaiting us (Rom. 8:18).
    I prayed and spoke to God about these issues. I pray He helps alleviate your sufferings.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

So you would say Jesus's use of "cross" is completely separate from the crucifixion itself? It's symbolic for our individual callings, but doesn't have to do with salvation or growth in the Spirit, etc.? IOW Jesus just used "cross" because that was His particular calling.
    One of the best examples in scripture of what it means to "bear one's cross" is when Paul asked for God to remove the thorn and was told, NO. Paul had a calling and he had to "endure" (bear) that calling (OF the cross). Meaning he was obedient in his following of Christ in fulfilling his (Paul) mission/purpose to the end of his life. Paul was give sufficiency in Christ and no matter WHAT his problems were, no matter WHAT persecutions he experienced, he bore that cross to the end.

This blog may interest you, why you could say the shopping cart took up its cross 95: The Shopping Cart and God: https://bibleforums.org/entry.php/47...g-Cart-and-God
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Huh...Did Jesus die by suicide?
    Of course not. He was falsely accused, judged guilty and sentenced to death

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Did Christ' death not represent the price paid for our sins?
    If by price paid you mean that Jesus was looked at like a sinner and treated as such by men, then yes. If you mean he was looked at like a sinner and treated as such by his Father, then no. Christs death shows the unrighteous judgment of men against God. If you disagree, there's no point in answering you further.

In my first response, i rambled too much. What I was trying to get at is what you wrote here. the three stages... Egypt (lost - ruled by the old man), Desert (either carnal or training - ruled by self), and Canaan (overcoming - ruled by the Holy Spirit).

I see it this way

1. the old man is crucified with Christ when we are saved.
    2. We must take up our cross and deny ourselves. This is denying self. This is what I think Paul was referring to when he said things like "I die daily".
    3. As #2 becomes a habit, we move into the Spirit controlled life and out of the flesh controled life.

Self was trained by the old man for years when we were lost. For the self/soul to be retrained (renewed) can take some time and it will never happen without self denial (i.e. taking up our cross), caused by a desire to follow Christ and infused with grace to enable both of those things (take up our cross and follow Him). When the old man ruled, we were driven to sin. When he was put to death, we still sinned, but it was because we were "drawn away" rather than driven to sin. We now have a choice (excepting for the strongholds that must be overcome). When we "put off the old man" we are putting off the old training, the old habits, the fleshly man. He is already dead, but our soul and flesh/body were trained and have habits that must be overcome and still have his image in us at times. But through renewal, the old man's image is being erased and replaced.

I vividly remember hating sin but having absolutely no power over any of it. I was its slave through and through. That was the old man that drove me as Pharaoh did to Israel. Thankfully, he was done away with at salvation. Everything changed after that.

Hope this brings a little clarity, and maybe some food for further thought.

Also, Slug's post above is a good one. In that example we see Paul has to deny self and follow Christ. It is a great example of taking up our cross (deny self) and following/submitting to Jesus.

God bless!
    Last edited by Brother Mark; Sep 12th 2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: double post

Blog Entries

Then why did you ask me "punishment and death by who"?

If by price paid you mean that Jesus was looked at like a sinner and treated as such by men, then yes. If you mean he was looked at like a sinner and treated as such by his Father, then no. Christs death shows the unrighteous judgment of men against God. If you disagree, there's no point in answering you further.
    Your knack to pick and chose what to respond to from my post is not lost on readers. It speaks volumes. I have clearly shown you are wrong and proved that even as saved Christians, we are not immune to sin. But rather than acknowledge your error you went off on a tangent with a ludicrous supposition that God the Father looked upon Jesus as a sinner - a wild assumption that is never inferred in my post.

I agree there's no need on my part in trying to illuminate your understanding. Some come to this Forum with an open mind, amenable and, willing to learn while others take a grandstand and present themselves as above everyone else in knowledge.
    Farewell in your studies.

Blog Entries

Actually he was judged innocent and then sentenced to death.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Aviyah

So you would say Jesus's use of "cross" is completely separate from the crucifixion itself? It's symbolic for our individual callings, but doesn't have to do with salvation or growth in the Spirit, etc.? IOW Jesus just used "cross" because that was His particular calling.

Okay, so the "cross" speaks more to the suffering than the death aspect in Luke 9? We do die to self once, but we suffer daily.

Originally Posted by Slug1

One of the best examples in scripture of what it means to "bear one's cross" is when Paul asked for God to remove the thorn and was told, NO. Paul had a calling and he had to "endure" (bear) that calling (OF the cross). Meaning he was obedient in his following of Christ in fulfilling his (Paul) mission/purpose to the end of his life. Paul was give sufficiency in Christ and no matter WHAT his problems were, no matter WHAT persecutions he experienced, he bore that cross to the end.

This blog may interest you, why you could say the shopping cart took up its cross 95: The Shopping Cart and God: https://bibleforums.org/entry.php/47...g-Cart-and-God

A, this verse came up tonight during a Bible Study and I thought of this thread as well:

John 21:20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

22 Jesus said to him, “If I [h]will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

We each "have" a specific "cross" to bear and we don't all bear the same one (mission/purpose).
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Cool Re: "Take Up Your Cross" & Multiple Crucifixions

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    A, this verse came up tonight during a Bible Study and I thought of this thread as well:

John 21:20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

22 Jesus said to him, “If I [h]will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

We each "have" a specific "cross" to bear and we don't all bear the same one (mission/purpose).
    We all have our crosses to bear, and we readily do so. Why then does God keep giving us things in this life? I mean He sometimes spoils me rotten by giving me the desires of my heart. I was 16 years old and said I would like to have a home in a National forest just south of Yellville, Arkansas. After I left the mission field He gave me a 5 acre farmette there. Then He took it back. I just chuckled because it didn't really matter.

Recently I complained about my car I had bought as it needed a paint job and was starting to need other parts. It was really high mileage (210 Gs). Next thing I know I am driving a Cadillac SRX with lower mileage and good paint and upholstery. It is nice, but it kind of spoils me again. God knows I would give all my worldly possessions it He asked me and I have in the past. I find the things in this life are but distractions and I won't be distracted by any of them.

God still gives to us because He promises in His word:

Mark 10:28-30 "Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee. And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, but he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life."
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    We all have our crosses to bear, and we readily do so. Why then does God keep giving us things in this life? I mean He sometimes spoils me rotten by giving me the desires of my heart. I was 16 years old and said I would like to have a home in a National forest just south of Yellville, Arkansas. After I left the mission field He gave me a 5 acre farmette there. Then He took it back. I just chuckled because it didn't really matter.

Recently I complained about my car I had bought as it needed a paint job and was starting to need other parts. It was really high mileage (210 Gs). Next thing I know I am driving a Cadillac SRX with lower mileage and good paint and upholstery. It is nice, but it kind of spoils me again. God knows I would give all my worldly possessions it He asked me and I have in the past. I find the things in this life are but distractions and I won't be distracted by any of them.

God still gives to us because He promises in His word:

Mark 10:28-30 "Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee. And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, but he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life."
    Hooah
    Slug1--out

Thread Information