Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108

Thread: Hebrews 6:4-6

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Earth, still.
    Posts
    176

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Redundant, corrected with an edit to the original post #45.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    6,024

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Thank you.
    Your answer, answers my concern.

    I think that I understand your clarification, and I can 100% agree if I am reading you correctly.
    ....But maybe not ?
    Would I be wrong to think that your contention is in defense of, or an attack upon calvinism vs arminianism or arminianism vs calvinism ?

    Because, I see both side of that argument profitless and in-fact decisive to the Lord's church, and will lose some folks one or more crowns in eternity.
    Maybe I am, was or still am in one or the other of those camps in the eyes of still babes/carnal ones in Christ (and that is fine with me), but my Master only places one title on His brethren, and that title is "brethren" not an arminianism-brethren or calvinism-brethren, but His brethren.
    ....What I mean is, men tried to alienate one brother from another when Paul was establishing churches in Asian and in the Mediterranean too, exampled in: 1 Corinthians 3:4-8
    But, Paul put a quick and decisive stop to it in that same chapter in verse 9, as we should also do the same now; put a quick and decisive stop to it.

    1 Corinthians 3:4-6
    For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal ?
    Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man ?
    I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
    Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.


    Verse 9,
    For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.


    PS:
    I use to be OSAS, but recently over a long slow process see now that my position of confusion there was anhored in me seeing loss of an eternal reward as being unsaved, but now I know better.
    But now see that there is indeed eternal security in our redemption through our faith in Christ's work completed on our behalf, if we love Him and are called according to His purpose.
    Where as before I read loss of rewards, or crowns as falling away from salvation by our works or lack there of (losing salvation).
    Now I see clearer: Some of us may have 100 fold in rewards with what we do with what Jesus gave us, some only 30 fold in rewards, and some with 10 fold, maybe some even with only 3 fold (the same goes with the amount of crowns given in heaven), but all are still saved from their sin and still restored to a relationship with God eternally.


    God bless.
    While perseverance of the saints are one of the points of difference between Calvinists and Arminians, this was not my reason of posting. I truely believe that NOSAS is wrong and makes Christ to not be your Saviour, but a half Saviour.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Thank you.
    Your answer, answers my concern.

    I think that I understand your clarification, and I can 100% agree if I am reading you correctly.
    ....But maybe not ?
    Would I be wrong to think that your contention is in defense of, or an attack upon calvinism vs arminianism or arminianism vs calvinism ?

    Because, I see both side of that argument profitless and in-fact decisive to the Lord's church, and will lose some folks one or more crowns in eternity.
    Maybe I am, was or still am in one or the other of those camps in the eyes of still babes/carnal ones in Christ (and that is fine with me), but my Master only places one title on His brethren, and that title is "brethren" not an arminianism-brethren or calvinism-brethren, but His brethren.
    ....What I mean is, men tried to alienate one brother from another when Paul was establishing churches in Asian and in the Mediterranean too, exampled in: 1 Corinthians 3:4-8
    But, Paul put a quick and decisive stop to it in that same chapter in verse 9, as we should also do the same now; put a quick and decisive stop to it.

    1 Corinthians 3:4-6
    For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal ?
    Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man ?
    I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
    Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.


    Verse 9,
    For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.


    PS:
    I use to be OSAS, but recently over a long slow process see now that my position of confusion there was anhored in me seeing loss of an eternal reward as being unsaved, but now I know better.
    But now see that there is indeed eternal security in our redemption through our faith in Christ's work completed on our behalf, if we love Him and are called according to His purpose.
    Where as before I read loss of rewards, or crowns as falling away from salvation by our works or lack there of (losing salvation).
    Now I see clearer: Some of us may have 100 fold in rewards with what we do with what Jesus gave us, some only 30 fold in rewards, and some with 10 fold, maybe some even with only 3 fold (the same goes with the amount of crowns given in heaven), but all are still saved from their sin and still restored to a relationship with God eternally.


    God bless.
    While perseverance of the saints are one of the points of difference between Calvinists and Arminians, this was not my reason of posting. I truely believe that NOSAS is wrong and makes Christ to not be your Saviour, but a half Saviour.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Earth, still.
    Posts
    176

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Thank you again, Kalahari.

    Peace, and God blesses.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

  4. #49

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr King View Post
    [FONT="]Hebrews 6:4-6
    For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God, and put him to open shame. ([/FONT]
    Hebrews 6:4–6)

    I'm scared and fearful and worried that I am guilty of this. I repented and believed and so forth but fell away back into sin again but then again repented this morning and no longer decided to put it off until tomorrow but now, but scared that I have crucified Jesus again but then again and again and again. fear that I'm destroyed. please help! When I came to repent and become hateful toward sin I wept bitterly in tears being face to face with Jesus and self and my sins and pleaded for forgiveness and repentance. While I wept a verse came to mind; Jesus said, Take heart son, your sins are forgiven. I kept on weeping. But I don't want to be self-deceived and like I said please help...I'm pleading with Jesus again and again.


    brother , when you are in a personal crisis inside your heart like your describing and that verse came into your mind and heart .....remember that the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and bring into your remembrance the things Jesus has said ....that verse is what he said .

    you are experiencing true godly sorrow it is not pleasant , but it will also if you accept it and trust the lords forgiveness , it will give you something you have never known ....when you acknowledged your sins , that is where salvation is found brother ....remember that there is rejoicing in heaven over every sinner who repents

    now don't fall into the trap , or thinking it's about your performance . But trust the lords mercy and ability to change the strongholds in us by learning and believing the gospel . It's not there to,condemn us , but to save us if we accept it , there's no demand of perfection despite the verse saying be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect ...that is a high goal that you are to have and follow after ....repentance is something we always have to be aware of walking in, don't let condemnation get to you based on your failures , you right now are doing the right thing in acknowledging the word of the gospel then is for the quickening John 6:63......


    if you were willingly sinning it would be different , the thing is here you are repenting from your heart ....so it isn't your will to continue in sin....let the lord heal your heart , and remember that verse came for a reason the Holy Spirit will always bring to mind the words of Christ because that's how he is , he told Peter if anyone denies him before men , he would deny them before God ....Peter then denied him three times before men ,maid he didn't even know him even calling a curse down .........Jesus Loved Peter , so after his resurrection ha sled him three times do you love me simon?.....

    He already knows we're sinners brother , it doesn't condone our sins , but it is the reason Jesus Christ died such a violent terrible death . If we had to be perfect even after we are baltized and believe .... were all lost , but then Jesus would never have had to die and salvation is about coming to him in truth like you have ......as much sorrow as it brings at the first , Joy is to come quickly , to ask of the lords mercy is all any man can hope for .....good thing our God is always willing that we repent and come home .....welcome home dear brother

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    I looked into what Charles Spurgeon says about this and is very helpful and encouraging:

    Charles Spurgeon- Note that Paul does not say, “If they shall fall;” but, “If they shall fall away,” — if the religion which they have professed shall cease to have any power over them, — then, it shall be impossible —

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Yes, I'm OSAS and Predestinarian. God foreknows people who He has chosen to be Saved. Those who reject Salvation choose not to be Saved. God has not foreknown them, but wishes them to be Saved, regardless. I confess--I don't know how this works. I've only seen it in reality over the last several decades.

    I can tell when people are really saved. They don't just have the knowledge of Salvation, nor do they only have the experience of Christ's Spirit. Much more, they have a heart-felt love for Christ. It has nothing to do with how many times they sin or fall away. They in their heart of hearts love Christ.

    I have to admit I have indeed seen friends who truly loved Christ, who truly were born again Christians, fall away, completely denying Christ. But I've also discovered that some of this has a very apparent cause, usually associated with a bitter experience. In other words, the apostasy may be an emotional response, and not actually real.

    But it's very serious this matter of repeated sinning, or even serious sins. For these there are serious consequences. Forget getting damned--it ain't gonna happen. If you care, you won't be there. You won't be damned. But who wants to be punished? God wants us to be sanctified, and will go to extremes to get the sins out of us, if we are willing. It is worth it to God in the long run.

    So what actually is the point in Hebrews here? I think it's that if the basis of Salvation is given up, there is really no other basis for Salvation. If you refuse to go to the well, you're not going to get it out of the sand.

    The argument is that in reality, there is only one basis for Salvation, and that is Christ. Some will reject him, and try to find "Salvation" some other way. But there is no other way. For those wanting Salvation, we are counselled to persist in our effort to be found one predestined and chosen by Christ. In doing so we will not only find peace for our souls, but we can learn to avoid painful mistakes.
    Great post!!! Thank you!

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Mr King, it looks like you are dealing with past bouts of depression. I have been there. After retiring from the missions field, God let a spirit of depression overtake me. Like you, I stated making bad decisions and began to doubt my salvation. I yo-yoed in and out of sinful behavior for some years. Had God ever given up on me? I don't think so.

    I took a giant step in faith to enter the missions field. The Lord let my health fall apart and dried up the mission work. That's when the depression started. Then, I had to deal with my extended family for the next 20 years. My faith was barely acknowledged among my family. It's tough to deal with family (see John 4:44). I think God was preparing me for a future work.

    Today, I feel God directing my walk with Christ again. I have since authored 2 Christian books and have a website ministry. You'll find it: HERE. I am however much more humble than I once was. My advice, start making good decisions and know that God still loves you. If depression strikes again, don't beat yourself up. Trust God for deliverance.
    Thank you! Your post is very encouraging and gives me hope too. I'm sorry you struggled with depression, I suffer from depression and severe anxiety. But like you said, God was preparing you for a future work!

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by pdun459 View Post
    Hi Mr King

    The Christian walk isn't an easy one. We must all "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling." I'd just like to give you a word of encouragement to hang in there and not to lose faith. It's a walk of faith; faith that Christ lives within us when we believe and welcome Him in. This happens by a miracle from God. It's not always easy to know that anything has actually happened but we must accept it by faith in God's Word. Christian growth is a process of letting Christ grow stronger within us and letting go of the things of this world. The Holy Spirit helps us with this. If you've repented and given your life to Christ, God won't let go of you that easily. He always wants what's best for us so let him love you. Keep reading your Bible and find a good Bible-believing church home where you can be nurtured.

    Cheers.
    Thank you for your good post, Jesus says those who comes to him he will not cast out, we are secured in his hand and more, we are also secured in the Father's hand!

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by dailyprayerwarrior View Post
    I personally believe that no one can come to the Father unless He draws them (John 6:44). If you still feel drawn to the Lord, you're safe! Refuse to fear and don't listen to the lies of the enemy. God loves you. Heaven is your home. Those who turn from God are no longer drawn to Him. That's the difference. Bless you!
    Thank you, I still feel drawn to God the Father through Jesus Christ! I still struggle that I sin like smoking cigarettes which I hate even though I like smoking but hate it too. Pray for me to quit smoking for good! Again thank you for your encouraging post!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    8,237
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr King View Post
    I looked into what Charles Spurgeon says about this and is very helpful and encouraging:

    Charles Spurgeon- Note that Paul does not say, “If they shall fall;” but, “If they shall fall away,” — if the religion which they have professed shall cease to have any power over them, — then, it shall be impossible —
    Charles Spurgeon is a scholar, just like many others. His views are not holy writ! If those who received "word" directly from God e.g. Moses, Elijah, etc. from time to time, showed their human element in errors (not that the word of God which they spoke is errant) by some of their actions and questions they asked God, how much more scholars that interpret scripture just like everyone else?

    The fact an article is posted online doesn't mean its peer-reviewed or lacking deficiencies. For example, he claims that "unless the religion the believer professes cease to have power over them - then it's impossible for such to fall away". This is hogwash in my view. Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost.

    For a start, the text (Heb 6:4-6) deals with the believer's personal relationship with God. Whether one backslides and dies in that state and lose his salvation or sustains it until its redemption at the resurrection, it all comes down to the individual's personal relationship with Christ. It has nothing to do his church or "religion".

    For the life of me, I can't reconcile this theory that it's impossible for a saved person to fall away. On several occasions, both Jesus and the apostles exhorted believers [the saved] to persevere, overcome and, endure to the end (Matt 24:13; Rev 2:26; 3:5). The inference is that if there's ZERO POSSIBILITY that a saved person may not/fall away 'persevere, endure, overcome' to the end, (end meaning the end of life in the flesh), then these warnings would have been unnecessary!!!

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Charles Spurgeon is a scholar, just like many others. His views are not holy writ! If those who received "word" directly from God e.g. Moses, Elijah, etc. from time to time, showed their human element in errors (not that the word of God which they spoke is errant) by some of their actions and questions they asked God, how much more scholars that interpret scripture just like everyone else?

    The fact an article is posted online doesn't mean its peer-reviewed or lacking deficiencies. For example, he claims that "unless the religion the believer professes cease to have power over them - then it's impossible for such to fall away". This is hogwash in my view. Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost.

    For a start, the text (Heb 6:4-6) deals with the believer's personal relationship with God. Whether one backslides and dies in that state and lose his salvation or sustains it until its redemption at the resurrection, it all comes down to the individual's personal relationship with Christ. It has nothing to do his church or "religion".

    For the life of me, I can't reconcile this theory that it's impossible for a saved person to fall away. On several occasions, both Jesus and the apostles exhorted believers [the saved] to persevere, overcome and, endure to the end (Matt 24:13; Rev 2:26; 3:5). The inference is that if there's ZERO POSSIBILITY that a saved person may not/fall away 'persevere, endure, overcome' to the end, (end meaning the end of life in the flesh), then these warnings would have been unnecessary!!!
    Are you saying I'm lost forever???

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Charles Spurgeon is a scholar, just like many others. His views are not holy writ! If those who received "word" directly from God e.g. Moses, Elijah, etc. from time to time, showed their human element in errors (not that the word of God which they spoke is errant) by some of their actions and questions they asked God, how much more scholars that interpret scripture just like everyone else?

    The fact an article is posted online doesn't mean its peer-reviewed or lacking deficiencies. For example, he claims that "unless the religion the believer professes cease to have power over them - then it's impossible for such to fall away". This is hogwash in my view. Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost.

    For a start, the text (Heb 6:4-6) deals with the believer's personal relationship with God. Whether one backslides and dies in that state and lose his salvation or sustains it until its redemption at the resurrection, it all comes down to the individual's personal relationship with Christ. It has nothing to do his church or "religion".

    For the life of me, I can't reconcile this theory that it's impossible for a saved person to fall away. On several occasions, both Jesus and the apostles exhorted believers [the saved] to persevere, overcome and, endure to the end (Matt 24:13; Rev 2:26; 3:5). The inference is that if there's ZERO POSSIBILITY that a saved person may not/fall away 'persevere, endure, overcome' to the end, (end meaning the end of life in the flesh), then these warnings would have been unnecessary!!!
    Are you saying I'm lost forever???

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    brother , when you are in a personal crisis inside your heart like your describing and that verse came into your mind and heart .....remember that the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and bring into your remembrance the things Jesus has said ....that verse is what he said .

    you are experiencing true godly sorrow it is not pleasant , but it will also if you accept it and trust the lords forgiveness , it will give you something you have never known ....when you acknowledged your sins , that is where salvation is found brother ....remember that there is rejoicing in heaven over every sinner who repents

    now don't fall into the trap , or thinking it's about your performance . But trust the lords mercy and ability to change the strongholds in us by learning and believing the gospel . It's not there to,condemn us , but to save us if we accept it , there's no demand of perfection despite the verse saying be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect ...that is a high goal that you are to have and follow after ....repentance is something we always have to be aware of walking in, don't let condemnation get to you based on your failures , you right now are doing the right thing in acknowledging the word of the gospel then is for the quickening John 6:63......


    if you were willingly sinning it would be different , the thing is here you are repenting from your heart ....so it isn't your will to continue in sin....let the lord heal your heart , and remember that verse came for a reason the Holy Spirit will always bring to mind the words of Christ because that's how he is , he told Peter if anyone denies him before men , he would deny them before God ....Peter then denied him three times before men ,maid he didn't even know him even calling a curse down .........Jesus Loved Peter , so after his resurrection ha sled him three times do you love me simon?.....

    He already knows we're sinners brother , it doesn't condone our sins , but it is the reason Jesus Christ died such a violent terrible death . If we had to be perfect even after we are baltized and believe .... were all lost , but then Jesus would never have had to die and salvation is about coming to him in truth like you have ......as much sorrow as it brings at the first , Joy is to come quickly , to ask of the lords mercy is all any man can hope for .....good thing our God is always willing that we repent and come home .....welcome home dear brother
    Thank you brother!!! Your post gives me hope, confidence and comfort!!! God bless you!!!

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    8,237
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr King View Post
    Are you saying I'm lost forever???
    By all means, NO! Why would you say that?

    All I said is that Charles Spurgeon's view on this particular subject is errant and shouldn't be relied upon to conclude that it's impossible for salvation to be lost. I said: "Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost." How is God's name did this remark turn personal - to you or anyone else?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    6,024

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    For the life of me, I can't reconcile this theory that it's impossible for a saved person to fall away. On several occasions, both Jesus and the apostles exhorted believers [the saved] to persevere, overcome and, endure to the end (Matt 24:13; Rev 2:26; 3:5). The inference is that if there's ZERO POSSIBILITY that a saved person may not/fall away 'persevere, endure, overcome' to the end, (end meaning the end of life in the flesh), then these warnings would have been unnecessary!!!
    Who are a saved person and from what were you saved?

    Because of sin we all became part of death and it is from this death that we are saved. This death is an eternal death, so to be saved from it,it also must be eternal. This is what Jesus gives us when we are saved, namely eternal life. If it is not eternal then it is no salvation from death. So in order to be saved you need to have eternal life or else you are not saved at all. This is the first point, salvation is for eternity.

    Secondly in order to be saved you need to believe in Jesus and have faith in His work on the cross. You must believe that He is the Son of God who gave Himself so all who would believe in Him, will be saved. There is no other Saviour that saves us but Him. Jesus saves, not our relationship with Him or anything else, only Him. The only way given to be part of Him is through faith. Faith being the assurance of things hope for as if they are already received. With other words to have faith in Christ is to know that you are saved and has eternal life now and that all the promises we have in Him is as if we already had received it. If you doubt any of His promises or His works, then you have a faith problem which can come to fruition that you in fact do not believe and because of it are not saved. The fact that you do have doubts does not necessarily means you have no faith, but it could be. This is where perseverance and endurance comes into play. We must persevere and endure in our faith and this we can only do with the help of the Holy Spirit.

    Rom 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
    Rom 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also comes to help us, weak as we are.

    So it is with the power of the Spirit that we endure and because of the promises of God that we persevere.

    Rom 8:28 We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose.
    Rom 8:38 For I am certain that nothing can separate us from his love: neither death nor life, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future,
    Rom 8:39 neither the world above nor the world below---there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord.

    Now if one would stop to believe and cease to have faith in Christ, it can only be because one did not believe in Him to start with. The faith one had was not the faith given to man by the Lord, but one's own faith, which is fallible. The faith given for salvation cannot fail as the promises and assurance given by God to us cannot fail. So the exhortations to believers to persevere, overcome and endure is to test our faith, if it is only in Christ and nothing else. This is the only faith that can save, the faith in Christ. If a man would backslide or fall away it is only proof of his lack of faith and belief and not in the promises of God, for the promises were only made to believers. If one would endure it is only because of the goodness of God and the power of His Spirit, for man has nothing to boast. The testing of one's faith are not unnecessary. It is also not something to be afraid of, but to be welcomed for it help us to be stronger in our faith. Tested faith is true faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    For the life of me, I can't reconcile this theory that it's impossible for a saved person to fall away. On several occasions, both Jesus and the apostles exhorted believers [the saved] to persevere, overcome and, endure to the end (Matt 24:13; Rev 2:26; 3:5). The inference is that if there's ZERO POSSIBILITY that a saved person may not/fall away 'persevere, endure, overcome' to the end, (end meaning the end of life in the flesh), then these warnings would have been unnecessary!!!
    Who are a saved person and from what were you saved?

    Because of sin we all became part of death and it is from this death that we are saved. This death is an eternal death, so to be saved from it,it also must be eternal. This is what Jesus gives us when we are saved, namely eternal life. If it is not eternal then it is no salvation from death. So in order to be saved you need to have eternal life or else you are not saved at all. This is the first point, salvation is for eternity.

    Secondly in order to be saved you need to believe in Jesus and have faith in His work on the cross. You must believe that He is the Son of God who gave Himself so all who would believe in Him, will be saved. There is no other Saviour that saves us but Him. Jesus saves, not our relationship with Him or anything else, only Him. The only way given to be part of Him is through faith. Faith being the assurance of things hope for as if they are already received. With other words to have faith in Christ is to know that you are saved and has eternal life now and that all the promises we have in Him is as if we already had received it. If you doubt any of His promises or His works, then you have a faith problem which can come to fruition that you in fact do not believe and because of it are not saved. The fact that you do have doubts does not necessarily means you have no faith, but it could be. This is where perseverance and endurance comes into play. We must persevere and endure in our faith and this we can only do with the help of the Holy Spirit.

    Rom 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
    Rom 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also comes to help us, weak as we are.

    So it is with the power of the Spirit that we endure and because of the promises of God that we persevere.

    Rom 8:28 We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose.
    Rom 8:38 For I am certain that nothing can separate us from his love: neither death nor life, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future,
    Rom 8:39 neither the world above nor the world below---there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord.

    Now if one would stop to believe and cease to have faith in Christ, it can only be because one did not believe in Him to start with. The faith one had was not the faith given to man by the Lord, but one's own faith, which is fallible. The faith given for salvation cannot fail as the promises and assurance given by God to us cannot fail. So the exhortations to believers to persevere, overcome and endure is to test our faith, if it is only in Christ and nothing else. This is the only faith that can save, the faith in Christ. If a man would backslide or fall away it is only proof of his lack of faith and belief and not in the promises of God, for the promises were only made to believers. If one would endure it is only because of the goodness of God and the power of His Spirit, for man has nothing to boast. The testing of one's faith are not unnecessary. It is also not something to be afraid of, but to be welcomed for it help us to be stronger in our faith. Tested faith is true faith.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    By all means, NO! Why would you say that?

    All I said is that Charles Spurgeon's view on this particular subject is errant and shouldn't be relied upon to conclude that it's impossible for salvation to be lost. I said: "Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost." How is God's name did this remark turn personal - to you or anyone else?
    I am very sorry! I misunderstood what you wrote. Forgive me for that. God bless you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    By all means, NO! Why would you say that?

    All I said is that Charles Spurgeon's view on this particular subject is errant and shouldn't be relied upon to conclude that it's impossible for salvation to be lost. I said: "Obviously this bad rendition of the passage has led many to believe and promote that salvation is a get out jail free card and cannot be lost." How is God's name did this remark turn personal - to you or anyone else?
    I am very sorry! I misunderstood what you wrote. Forgive me for that. God bless you!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hebrews 10:26
    By DavidC in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: Jul 21st 2017, 11:09 PM
  2. Hebrews 6: 4-8
    By Nick in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: Feb 27th 2013, 05:36 AM
  3. What does Hebrews 11:1 mean to you?
    By Scooby_Snacks in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun 30th 2010, 03:07 AM
  4. Discussion Hebrews 4:1-11
    By JesusMySavior in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 12th 2009, 06:47 PM
  5. Hebrews 8:12
    By Keene in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 7th 2007, 02:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •