Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis?

Re: Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis?

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee50 View Post
    The bible says, ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God... I do not question any part of the bible because I would not know where to draw the line.
    If I see what I perceive to be a misprint or contradiction, I question my own understanding of the bible.
    Maybe there are small errors in the bible, but I have to believe that a God who created the entire universe has the ability to preserve the things I need to know in His word.
    People try to push the Apocrypha, the book of Enoch and the like. Although they could be 100% accurate, if God did not see fit to include them in the best selling version (KJV) of all time, I am forced to conclude that I don't need to read them.
    I recently threw away all of my extra biblical books. I had to learn the hard way that you cannot read any of it before knowing something about the author.
    I was reading a book earlier this year that had me so afraid, I cut every body out of my life.
    It was so bad that people came looking for me to make sure I was still alive.
    After doing extensive research on this highly esteemed author, I learned he had been a mystic. I did'nt even know what that meant.
    There is so much deception in this world today that it is easy to get caught up in someone else's error.
    Many pastors do not preach the entire word of God.
    A pastor can say something that sounds good and everybody amens it, but is it the word of God?
    Don't get me wrong, I love the church, but it is very easy to put too much confidence in the opinion of man. We are talking about our eternity.
    A very close family member has told me, she knows her pastor is preaching a false doctrine, but she goes for the fellowship.
    Whatever your pastor is preaching, if you stick around often and long enough, you will begin to believe the same.
    There is a well respected pastor mentioned earlier in this post that has publicly claimed that you can take the mark of the beast and be fogiven. He also said, Jesus would make a cake for a gay wedding.
    I want to understand the word more clearly, but I think my best hope is in waiting on the Lord. The slightest deception can sometimes hurl you into a period of spiritual turmoil.
    That is IMO a good perspective to have and keep.
    God bless you more and more.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your response. Actually I recently started reading the bible in chronological order through the Blue Letter Bible app.
    It is very exciting, because I am seeing things I have never seen before.
    I am in first Samuel, where Saul has just been anointed king over Israel.
    It was odd reading the book of Job in the middle of Genesis.
    I don't usually finish the old testament when I start, but will read the New Testament, Psalm, and Proverbs over and over. Each time, God gives me greater understanding.
    Some of my questions now are mainly about attending the right church in light of Hebrews 10:25, Amos 8:11, and Matthew 18: 20.
    Okay, great! I love 1 Samuel.

The pastor at the church where I have attended most recently identifies as a Calvinist. In the last few months he started quoting John Calvin in his messages.
    I recently learned of John Calvin, so the concept of the T.U.L.I.P. is new to me and I am not sure where I stand on it.
    Whenever I listen to a pastor try to disprove Calvinism using Romans 9, they always leave out key points. I never know if it is intentional or not.
    The one big problem I do have with Calvinist is that they call themselves Calvinist.
    Paul in 1 Corinthians 1 talks about use claiming to be of such and such or so in so.
    Is this not idolatry? I don't want to judge, just understand.
    I believe it is dangerous to identify with a human being like this. Especially, since there is no possibility of ever knowing him personally.
    Some of the things that were said of him are not that nice. Again, not judging, just making a point. There is no way to verify these things.
    Although I am protestant, I try not to label myself as Baptist, Pentecostal, Church of God in Christ or any of them.
    I am a child of God.
    I don't want anyone trying to tell me what I believe or should believe because I claim a certain religion. No protestant religion is 100% right or wrong.
    I'm in a similar boat as you, I never really use denomination beyond Protestant. But many positions about calvinism I didn't realize even had "names" at first. Like you were saying, Romans 9 (and the whole book) speaks for itself. Personally I'm just happy to agree where I can and disagree where I have to.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Blog Entries

I have been a believer for many years and it is only in the last three years that I have heard of the three terms mentioned in the title.
    I have done research to find out information on these terms and have found it frustrating to say the least.

The Bible says, study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

It also says, But the Comforter who is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and being all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

I am an avid bible reader and have learned so much. But I feel my learning is hindered by the fact that I am not able to grasp things in context as I should. I cannot always decipher the authors intent or intended audience. I don't have a good understanding of time periods and many historical settings and facts.

Being that there are many types of hermeneutics, which one should I choose, by which author?

Do I need to learn Greek and Hebrew or purchase a Strong's concordance? I have a pocket size basic one.

I really want to understand as much as neccessary. I don't know if this is just for people in Seminary school or not.
    You are not the only one with this challenge. I have learned so much from sharing, discussing and debating scripture with Brothers on the Forum. And I have due course, heard junk doctrines that I merely cast aside. However, bear in mind that there are many believers all over the world with strong faith and trust in Christ who never bother themselves about things too complex for them. Fortunately, salvation is equal in value; for neither the simpleton nor the teacher has greater salvation than the other!

But by and by, as one hungry for deep knowledge of scripture, I'm not saying you shouldn't seek for more. My only advice is that you pray and trust in God to give you the relevant discernment [God gives knowledge on a need-to-know-basis] because if you rely on man instead of God, trust me, you might end up more confused or unwittingly fed false ideas that could potentially lead you up the garden path.

The fact you are saved should suffice, spiritual growth comes from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Okay, great! I love 1 Samuel.

I'm in a similar boat as you, I never really use denomination beyond Protestant. But many positions about calvinism I didn't realize even had "names" at first. Like you were saying, Romans 9 (and the whole book) speaks for itself. Personally I'm just happy to agree where I can and disagree where I have to.
    I tried to look up Romans 9 on Youtube for more clarity. Almost every message was speaking on Calvinism, as if that chapter has anything to do with him.
    I got so frustrated.
    Romans 9 is a hard read, but one where I have to conclude, it is what it is!! And then pray for more understanding.

Hi DeeDee. I have read this thread with interest. Several people have given sound advice, IMO. I will add this one or two things.

1. When you read, seek the Lord rather than just knowledge. Look for Him. To know Him. To understand Him. To experience Him. Let Him move your heart and in the midst of all that, ask Him to give you at least one little nugget, some manna so to speak, to get you through the day with Him in this world.

2. When you sit at His table and eat, (which is what reading the bible is all about), pick the least seat rather than the greatest seat (i.e. the seat of highest honor). For instance, when reading about Paul and Silas being in jail, one can see their great faith, endurance and love. We see how they sang hymns, and prayed. Personally, I think they were praying for the jailer as Paul once was just like the jailer and recognized the situation. Then the jailer was going to kill himself as he assumed Paul and Silas had escaped. But they did not! They waited on him and then witnessed to him. He and his family got saved. The point? Well, if we see ourselves trying to live up to Paul and Silas, we very well may fall short and be asked to go down to a less honorable seat at the Lord's dinner table. But if we see where we are the jailer, how we kept the Lord at bay for some time in a prison of our judgment and mind, how He prayed for us, how He interceded for us, and He stayed right there, until we found ourself at the end of our rope, ready to end it all, then He saved us as we realized He was right there interceding for us the whole time. In this way, we get lifted up to a more honorable seat at the Lord's table. The least gets grace. The last becomes first and the first becomes last. As we do this, we begin to see how the Lord loves us, and our heart overflows with love for Him. In His presence and love and the fear of Him, we are strengthened and able to walk.

Sorry for the length of the post and too many words.

God bless!

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I have been a believer for many years and it is only in the last three years that I have heard of the three terms mentioned in the title.
    I have done research to find out information on these terms and have found it frustrating to say the least.

The Bible says, study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

It also says, But the Comforter who is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and being all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

I am an avid bible reader and have learned so much. But I feel my learning is hindered by the fact that I am not able to grasp things in context as I should. I cannot always decipher the authors intent or intended audience. I don't have a good understanding of time periods and many historical settings and facts.

Being that there are many types of hermeneutics, which one should I choose, by which author?

Do I need to learn Greek and Hebrew or purchase a Strong's concordance? I have a pocket size basic one.

I really want to understand as much as neccessary. I don't know if this is just for people in Seminary school or not.

you sort of quoted the answer you need , we have the teacher in us ....and we have. God who wants us to,understand his word .....prayer and study together developes understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    You are not the only one with this challenge. I have learned so much from sharing, discussing and debating scripture with Brothers on the Forum. And I have due course, heard junk doctrines that I merely cast aside. However, bear in mind that there are many believers all over the world with strong faith and trust in Christ who never bother themselves about things too complex for them. Fortunately, salvation is equal in value; for neither the simpleton nor the teacher has greater salvation than the other!

But by and by, as one hungry for deep knowledge of scripture, I'm not saying you shouldn't seek for more. My only advice is that you pray and trust in God to give you the relevant discernment [God gives knowledge on a need-to-know-basis] because if you rely on man instead of God, trust me, you might end up more confused or unwittingly fed false ideas that could potentially lead you up the garden path.

The fact you are saved should suffice, spiritual growth comes from God.
    Thank you so much for your kind words and assurance of understanding. It is great to know that I can communicate with those who get where I am coming from. God bless you!

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    you sort of quoted the answer you need , we have the teacher in us ....and we have. God who wants us to,understand his word .....prayer and study together developes understanding
    You are right, I did answer my own question. However, I get confused when I hear about all these different Seminary schools, greek, Hebrew, and all that kind of thing. I start to feel like I am missing something.
    Thanks for your response. God bless you!

Blog Entries

After 55+ years in the faith, I have learned to rely upon a rightful dividing as my source of inspired and authoritative theology - scripture in context and scripture interpreting scripture.
    I flee from any post-NT "ism," particularly when stamped with a man's name.

"All scripture*is*given by inspiration of God, and*is*profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2Tm 3:16

Study bibles are great if one is looking for a particular teaching based upon sectarian reasoning.

This, after a seeming lifetime of following various teachings. Not all are bad, certainly, but the authority lies within the text of scripture and the Apostolic revelations and interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Hi DeeDee. I have read this thread with interest. Several people have given sound advice, IMO. I will add this one or two things.

1. When you read, seek the Lord rather than just knowledge. Look for Him. To know Him. To understand Him. To experience Him. Let Him move your heart and in the midst of all that, ask Him to give you at least one little nugget, some manna so to speak, to get you through the day with Him in this world.

2. When you sit at His table and eat, (which is what reading the bible is all about), pick the least seat rather than the greatest seat (i.e. the seat of highest honor). For instance, when reading about Paul and Silas being in jail, one can see their great faith, endurance and love. We see how they sang hymns, and prayed. Personally, I think they were praying for the jailer as Paul once was just like the jailer and recognized the situation. Then the jailer was going to kill himself as he assumed Paul and Silas had escaped. But they did not! They waited on him and then witnessed to him. He and his family got saved. The point? Well, if we see ourselves trying to live up to Paul and Silas, we very well may fall short and be asked to go down to a less honorable seat at the Lord's dinner table. But if we see where we are the jailer, how we kept the Lord at bay for some time in a prison of our judgment and mind, how He prayed for us, how He interceded for us, and He stayed right there, until we found ourself at the end of our rope, ready to end it all, then He saved us as we realized He was right there interceding for us the whole time. In this way, we get lifted up to a more honorable seat at the Lord's table. The least gets grace. The last becomes first and the first becomes last. As we do this, we begin to see how the Lord loves us, and our heart overflows with love for Him. In His presence and love and the fear of Him, we are strengthened and able to walk.

Sorry for the length of the post and too many words.

God bless!

Mark
    Your post reminds me of how the bible says, knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. I guess it boils down to trusting that God is teaching me all I need to know.
    Everyone's path is different.

Quote Originally Posted by IMINXTC View Post
    After 55+ years in the faith, I have learned to rely upon a rightful dividing as my source of inspired and authoritative theology - scripture in context and scripture interpreting scripture.
    I flee from any post-NT "ism," particularly when stamped with a man's name.

"All scripture*is*given by inspiration of God, and*is*profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2Tm 3:16

Study bibles are great if one is looking for a particular teaching based upon sectarian reasoning.

This, after a seeming lifetime of following various teachings. Not all are bad, certainly, but the authority lies within the text of scripture and the Apostolic revelations and interpretations.
    I had to learn to avoid the extra biblical books also. I say, the most effective lie one ever tells is the one that's mixed with truth. I do not want to be deceived.
    Thank you for your response and God bless you!

DeeDee, I wouldn't get hung up on theological terms. Just study your Bible and let the Holy Spirit feed your soul. It's nice to look up words in the original language, but that's easy. The main thing is to be a DOER of the Word!
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Doer of the word, yes!! Thank you and God bless you!!

Thread Information