Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis?

Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis?

I have been a believer for many years and it is only in the last three years that I have heard of the three terms mentioned in the title.
    I have done research to find out information on these terms and have found it frustrating to say the least.

The Bible says, study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

It also says, But the Comforter who is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and being all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

I am an avid bible reader and have learned so much. But I feel my learning is hindered by the fact that I am not able to grasp things in context as I should. I cannot always decipher the authors intent or intended audience. I don't have a good understanding of time periods and many historical settings and facts.

Being that there are many types of hermeneutics, which one should I choose, by which author?

Do I need to learn Greek and Hebrew or purchase a Strong's concordance? I have a pocket size basic one.

I really want to understand as much as neccessary. I don't know if this is just for people in Seminary school or not.

Re: Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis?

Hi DeeDee50, commentaries are useful when studying a verse or a passage, especially if you are having trouble arriving at a proper exegesis. If you don't own any, try this site: https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/1-1.htm

Do you own a Study Bible by any chance. If not, I recommend either The MacArthur Study Bible or The ESV Study Bible, as the commentary in those two Study Bibles is both excellent and extensive.

The next step up is to purchase one or more ~two volume~ commentary sets, OT & NT. The two I own are The Believer's Bible Commentary by MacDonald and Farstad, and The Bible Knowledge Commentary by Walvoord and Zuck.

All of the above is available as part of the Logos Library System/Logos Bible Software too, just FYI.

--Deuteronomy
    p.s. - do you want to know the meanings of Hermeneutics, Exegesis, Eisegesis, or were you looking for something more than just a definition?
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Hi again DeeDee50, here are a couple of articles from a website that may prove to be useful to you when you have questions about a Christian topic and/or a passage from the Bible.

--Deuteronomy
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post
    Hi again DeeDee50, here are a couple of articles from a website that may prove to be useful to you when you have questions about a Christian topic and/or a passage from the Bible.

--Deuteronomy
    Thank you so much. I just recently learned of John MacArthur. I know he is well respected by some in the Christian community. I will look into the information you have provided and get back to you. God bless you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee50 View Post
    Being that there are many types of hermeneutics, which one should I choose, by which author?
    Well said. This is a complicated question. For example, you would need to identify John MacArthur's presuppositions to understand that his study Bible is written with particular hermeneutics applied. If you are studying at all depths, you would be able to dissect what is said in the commentary by understanding from what perspective the commentator is approaching the subject. When you can begin to approach hermeneutics in that way, you can come to understand a multitude of points of view and see how they line up and influence your view. Its a "be careful what you ask for" kind of thing.

That being said, you might give a try to How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. Fee and Douglas Stuart. There is even a Kindle version at the link. The book handles the subject in a transparent way that will prepare you going forward. It is a pretty easy read.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Blog Entries

I have been a believer for many years and it is only in the last three years that I have heard of the three terms mentioned in the title.
    Hermeneutics is a guideline on how to interpret text. Exegesis and Eisegesis is used whether use follow or do not follow certain Hermeneutics most common today pointed out by Skaggs.

Yes these terms have increased and become "code" words of such for those taught at seminaries. This increase is in conjunction with the Historical Preteristic rendering of text which has become evident on this forum.

I will illustrate the above using the post from Skaggs. The link outlines 3 laws (man made) to interpret text.

The most important law is to interpret the bible literally.

Well there are text which are literal however there are text figurative. So then if one is trained to look at text first literally then is becomes hard to see the figurative understanding of text. This is especially true when trying to understand prophetic text and Revelation and many errors occur.

A crucial law; passages MUST be interpreted historically.

Must be? Unfortunately all text are not historical, many are future and both historical and future. Again if one is trained to start to view text historically it becomes hard to see the future understanding.

The third law is use scripture to interpret scripture

Yeah! However those you subscribed to the first two laws do not always subscribe to the third. Since they are trained (programmed) to view text literal and historical where do you think they try to get there confirmation of understanding? History books.

The Bible says, study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

It also says, But the Comforter who is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and being all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26
    Yes we should rely on the Spirit rather than man methods. Note there are historical text and there are prophetic text. These Hermeneutic laws used as a guideline for both with lead to many errors.

I really want to understand as much as neccessary. I don't know if this is just for people in Seminary school or not.
    I would study and use commentaries from different authors but then ultimately rely on the Spirit to give understanding in these matters. Much can be gained understanding the historical landscape of events however many get stuck only in the historical since the prophetic cannot be understood. The understanding of prophetic text is a gift from the Spirit.

So my advise is not to get caught up with these code words as they can be detrimental in understanding text. Clear examples are the many current threads on the end time forum using these laws to understand the prophetic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hi DeeDee50, commentaries are useful when studying a verse or a passage, especially if you are having trouble arriving at a proper exegesis.
    And what is the proper exegesis? Scripture to be viewed literally and historically?

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    And what is the proper exegesis? Scripture to be viewed literally and historically?
    Scripture interprets scripture.

Having even a small bit of background knowledge of hermeneutics, exegesis, and eisegesis is a very good tool to help equip a seeking heart in using scripture to interpret scripture.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Scripture interprets scripture.

Having even a small bit of background knowledge of hermeneutics, exegesis, and eisegesis is a very good tool to help equip a seeking heart in using scripture to interpret scripture.
    I agree scripture interprets scripture part......but what is being taught today is that proper Hermeneutics involves viewing text as literal and historical. Hence the rise of Preterism.

In addition, when one views everything from a historical stance, that limits scriptures which can be interpreted by scripture. Think about it.

For example used by this line of Hermeneutics is that Antichous in Daniel was the one spoken, wherein nowhere else in scripture is this taught. Rather other texts the figure is spoken of being a future entity. Thus both either need to Antichous or both a future entity for scripture to interpret scripture. Thus Danial would be speaking of a future entity for then later scriptures to interpret it!!!

Also from a literal law of Hermeneutics thus taking a "thousand years" as literal. From the same laws where are the other scriptures interpreting this? None. Thus with no other scriptures identifying such an era it should be questioned as literal. And when we do look at all scriptures we see many events contradicting a literal 1000 years.

This is a just a few examples of the danger of the current teaching on Hermeneutics.

I might also add, they do not follow their own laws of Hermeneutics...… in case translating 70 weeks into 70 weeks of years, if we followed the rules then 70 weeks would be literal 70 weeks not a supposed 490 years.. but not able to fit a 490 day period into the future prophesy they fall back to the other rule in error, interpret all scripture historically.

I hope all can see the picking and choosing of what hermeneutics to follow to fit the narrative. Then when YOU don't agree they say it is bad exegesis.

Thank you all for your responses and sharing of resources. I can see that this is an important issue that must be approached with caution and much prayer. I don't want to come away more confused than when I started. God bless you all!

Blog Entries

I am an avid bible reader and have learned so much. But I feel my learning is hindered by the fact that I am not able to grasp things in context as I should. I cannot always decipher the authors intent or intended audience. I don't have a good understanding of time periods and many historical settings and facts.
    If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend a casual reading of the Bible in chronological order (by history, not authorship). Doing this was extremely beneficial to me in getting the "big picture" or overall message with the context etc. If your difficulty is in understanding the setting, audience, or intent of a book - this will be MUCH more profitable to you than digging into an entire foreign language or commentaries. Word-searches and outside opinions are good tools, but they will not provide you the meat, or useful understanding. Think of them as accenting something that you have already learned. Otherwise it just leads to confusion.

Understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self ... rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power ... always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. (2 Timothy 3)

So I might differ from other posters here in advice.

I think that since your understanding of intent and context is limited, this is the perfect time to NOT read outside materials, but go through Scripture yourself and extract the meaning naturally. Then refer to those resources only for hangups on a specific verse or phrase.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Originally Posted by ross3421
    I agree scripture interprets scripture part......but what is being taught today is that proper Hermeneutics involves viewing text as literal and historical. Hence the rise of Preterism. In addition, when one views everything from a historical stance, that limits scriptures which can be interpreted by scripture. Think about
    Hi again, Ross.
    I can agree with you on history being kept in mind when studying scripture, but I encourage including cultural-anthropology also when studying scriptures too.

Aside from that, concerning man written history, as in secular history books:
    I have to remind myself about history; with the exclusive exception of history found in the books of acts, Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Kings and portions of the prophetical writings in our bibles, all of human history outside of those exclusive books are, will be, and have been written through the bias of victorious nations of men, men who were victors of warfare and or other forms of cultural dominance.
    ....What I mean is, with the exception of the history found in our bibles, I take all of man-written history with a (large) grain of salt, so to speak.
    I practice keeping that in mind because of man's tendency to not write history for their posterity, but actually with bias (re)-write history for their posterity and or future agendas.

Not saying that I do not accept or lean on man's written history outside of scripture, but definitely am saying I read man's written history with a (large) gain of salt because I know it is biased toward the views of the victors of wars and cultural dominance of fallen man.
    ....Where as scripture and scripture's recorded history found in the earlier mentioned books of the bible are inspired, protected and unfolded by God's own Hand.

In short:
    For me, preterism is not as narrow of a road as some presume it to be, if we base it on man's written history.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.

@ DeDee.

Hello lovely sister in Christ.
    Aviyah advice in the quote below here is good, really really good advice to start from:

God blesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend a casual reading of the Bible in chronological order (by history, not authorship). Doing this was extremely beneficial to me in getting the "big picture" or overall message with the context etc. If your difficulty is in understanding the setting, audience, or intent of a book - this will be MUCH more profitable to you than digging into an entire foreign language or commentaries. Word-searches and outside opinions are good tools, but they will not provide you the meat, or useful understanding. Think of them as accenting something that you have already learned. Otherwise it just leads to confusion.

Understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self ... rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power ... always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. (2 Timothy 3)

I think that since your understanding of intent and context is limited, this is the perfect time to NOT read outside materials, but go through Scripture yourself and extract the meaning naturally. Then refer to those resources only for hangups on a specific verse or phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post

Thank you for your response. Actually I recently started reading the bible in chronological order through the Blue Letter Bible app.
    It is very exciting, because I am seeing things I have never seen before.
    I am in first Samuel, where Saul has just been anointed king over Israel.
    It was odd reading the book of Job in the middle of Genesis.
    I don't usually finish the old testament when I start, but will read the New Testament, Psalm, and Proverbs over and over. Each time, God gives me greater understanding.
    Some of my questions now are mainly about attending the right church in light of Hebrews 10:25, Amos 8:11, and Matthew 18: 20.

The pastor at the church where I have attended most recently identifies as a Calvinist. In the last few months he started quoting John Calvin in his messages.
    I recently learned of John Calvin, so the concept of the T.U.L.I.P. is new to me and I am not sure where I stand on it.
    Whenever I listen to a pastor try to disprove Calvinism using Romans 9, they always leave out key points. I never know if it is intentional or not.
    The one big problem I do have with Calvinist is that they call themselves Calvinist.
    Paul in 1 Corinthians 1 talks about use claiming to be of such and such or so in so.
    Is this not idolatry? I don't want to judge, just understand.
    I believe it is dangerous to identify with a human being like this. Especially, since there is no possibility of ever knowing him personally.
    Some of the things that were said of him are not that nice. Again, not judging, just making a point. There is no way to verify these things.
    Although I am protestant, I try not to label myself as Baptist, Pentecostal, Church of God in Christ or any of them.
    I am a child of God.
    I don't want anyone trying to tell me what I believe or should believe because I claim a certain religion. No protestant religion is 100% right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Hi again, Ross.[/I][/COLOR]
    I can agree with you on history being kept in mind when studying scripture, but I encourage including cultural-anthropology also when studying scriptures too.

Aside from that, concerning man written history, as in secular history books:
    I have to remind myself about history; with the exclusive exception of history found in the books of acts, Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Kings and portions of the prophetical writings in our bibles, all of human history outside of those exclusive books are, will be, and have been written through the bias of victorious nations of men, men who were victors of warfare and or other forms of cultural dominance.
    ....What I mean is, with the exception of the history found in our bibles, I take all of man-written history with a (large) grain of salt, so to speak.
    I practice keeping that in mind because of man's tendency to not write history for their posterity, but actually with bias (re)-write history for their posterity and or future agendas.

Not saying that I do not accept or lean on man's written history outside of scripture, but definitely am saying I read man's written history with a (large) gain of salt because I know it is biased toward the views of the victors of wars and cultural dominance of fallen man.
    ....Where as scripture and scripture's recorded history found in the earlier mentioned books of the bible are inspired, protected and unfolded by God's own Hand.

In short:
    For me, preterism is not as narrow of a road as some presume it to be, if we base it on man's written history.
    The bible says, ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God... I do not question any part of the bible because I would not know where to draw the line.
    If I see what I perceive to be a misprint or contradiction, I question my own understanding of the bible.
    Maybe there are small errors in the bible, but I have to believe that a God who created the entire universe has the ability to preserve the things I need to know in His word.
    People try to push the Apocrypha, the book of Enoch and the like. Although they could be 100% accurate, if God did not see fit to include them in the best selling version (KJV) of all time, I am forced to conclude that I don't need to read them.
    I recently threw away all of my extra biblical books. I had to learn the hard way that you cannot read any of it before knowing something about the author.
    I was reading a book earlier this year that had me so afraid, I cut every body out of my life.
    It was so bad that people came looking for me to make sure I was still alive.
    After doing extensive research on this highly esteemed author, I learned he had been a mystic. I did'nt even know what that meant.
    There is so much deception in this world today that it is easy to get caught up in someone else's error.
    Many pastors do not preach the entire word of God.
    A pastor can say something that sounds good and everybody amens it, but is it the word of God?
    Don't get me wrong, I love the church, but it is very easy to put too much confidence in the opinion of man. We are talking about our eternity.
    A very close family member has told me, she knows her pastor is preaching a false doctrine, but she goes for the fellowship.
    Whatever your pastor is preaching, if you stick around often and long enough, you will begin to believe the same.
    There is a well respected pastor mentioned earlier in this post that has publicly claimed that you can take the mark of the beast and be fogiven. He also said, Jesus would make a cake for a gay wedding.
    I want to understand the word more clearly, but I think my best hope is in waiting on the Lord. The slightest deception can sometimes hurl you into a period of spiritual turmoil.

Thread Information