Thread: Empath, Highly Sensitive Person

Empath, Highly Sensitive Person

I have been hearing these terms for years. I have done a little research, but it is difficult because it always seems to veer into the paranormal and E.S.P. An area that I don't play around with.
    I use to believe I had the grace gift of mercy, based upon the information published in books and such.
    However, upon deeper research I found that these test were little more than something akin to astrology or pop psychology. It was said, these test and explanations of gifts were created to encourage people in the church to get involved.
    I believe I am more sensitive than the average person. I have been called co-dependant, a people pleaser, and a cry baby, which I have been guilty of.
    I am wondering if the sensitivity is something I need to be delivered from or embraced as a gift from God?

Re: Empath, Highly Sensitive Person

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee50 View Post
    I have been hearing these terms for years. I have done a little research, but it is difficult because it always seems to veer into the paranormal and E.S.P. An area that I don't play around with.
    I use to believe I had the grace gift of mercy, based upon the information published in books and such.
    However, upon deeper research I found that these test were little more than something akin to astrology or pop psychology. It was said, these test and explanations of gifts were created to encourage people in the church to get involved.
    I believe I am more sensitive than the average person. I have been called co-dependant, a people pleaser, and a cry baby, which I have been guilty of.
    I am wondering if the sensitivity is something I need to be delivered from or embraced as a gift from God?
    Hi DeeDee, it seems to me that, as a Christian, it's extremely important to be a God-dependent, God-pleaser, rather than a codependent, people-pleaser, or your walk and your witness will undoubtedly be compromised. I've never considered what being a "crybaby" might mean for a Christian, but it seems to me that a lack of trust in God and in His great promises to us would always be involved, as well an unhealthy level of self-centeredness. So, I don't think that we should be any of those things, especially as Christians. In fact, we need to walk away from anything that hinders our growth in sanctification/Christlikeness, our witness to others, and our trust in/dependency upon God and His word.

Question, in what ways have you already noticed codependency, people pleasing, and being a crybaby affecting not only your life in general, but getting in the way of living the Christian life?

Thanks!

~Deut
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

People called me a crybaby when I was younger, because I cried so easily. I actually believe it was a way of expressing anger without losing my temper. My mother was labeled a crybaby and I hated that in me for many years, until I realized what it really was.
    As for co-dependency I don't believe it is nearly as bad as it use to be. Losing my mom at such a young age and literally not having any adults in my life to trust and confide in caused me to have fears of abandonment. I would cling to people for dear life, in spite of their abuse. I don't tolerate abuse any more. Now I find myself too often running to others instead of God when I am upset. It is something I am working on and constantly repenting of. I feel others pain very deeply, so many times I will try to rescue them to stop the pain I feel for them.
    I am also extremely sensitive like my mom was. She would watch the news and just cry and cry. I remember my aunt belittling my mom for this after she died. I don't watch the news, in fact, I don't like television. Most of it has negative affect on me.
    If I am watching a crime show, I experience it as if it were real. I don't find things taken for the evening news entertaining at all. When I was younger, I would listen to music and react to it as if I was experiencing what they were singing about. For instance, there is a song by Mariah Carey called, "I can't live, if living is without you." That song always made me depressed and left me crying, no matter how happy I had been before listening to it.
    I realize the power of music, so I rarely ever listen to any of it.
    Most of it is hard for me to understand. I tried therapy many times, until I realized it is not what God wanted for me. I know He is in the process of healing me.

I have been called co-dependant, a people pleaser, and a cry baby, which I have been guilty of. I am wondering if the sensitivity is something I need to be delivered from or embraced as a gift from God?
    One last point about the "crybaby" thing to consider is this:

Romans 8
    28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Since God causes all things, both good and bad, to work together for our good, perhaps that promise alone should be enough of a reason to reconsider being a crybaby

God bless you! (Philippians 1:6, 2:13)

~Deut

Hebrews 12
    5 “MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
    NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;
    6 FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
    AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.”
    7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
    8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.
    9 Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?
    10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.
    11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

People called me a crybaby when I was younger, because I cried so easily. I actually believe it was a way of expressing anger without losing my temper. My mother was labeled a crybaby and I hated that in me for many years, until I realized what it really was.
    As for co-dependency I don't believe it is nearly as bad as it use to be. Losing my mom at such a young age and literally not having any adults in my life to trust and confide in caused me to have fears of abandonment. I would cling to people for dear life, in spite of their abuse. I don't tolerate abuse any more. Now I find myself too often running to others instead of God when I am upset. It is something I am working on and constantly repenting of. I feel others pain very deeply, so many times I will try to rescue them to stop the pain I feel for them.
    I am also extremely sensitive like my mom was. She would watch the news and just cry and cry. I remember my aunt belittling my mom for this after she died. I don't watch the news, in fact, I don't like television. Most of it has negative affect on me.
    If I am watching a crime show, I experience it as if it were real. I don't find things taken for the evening news entertaining at all. When I was younger, I would listen to music and react to it as if I was experiencing what they were singing about. For instance, there is a song by Mariah Carey called, "I can't live, if living is without you." That song always made me depressed and left me crying, no matter how happy I had been before listening to it.
    I realize the power of music, so I rarely ever listen to any of it.
    Most of it is hard for me to understand. I tried therapy many times, until I realized it is not what God wanted for me. I know He is in the process of healing me.
    Hi DeeDee, I made my last post before I saw this new one from you. I'll read it again and get back to you (Dv), but it will probably have to wait until tomorrow afternoon at this point unfortunately.

Blessings to you in Christ!

~Deut
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

Blog Entries

I will go with a "gift from God."

A very close, late, associate exemplified all of the characteristics you have listed, and is fondly remembered as a highly respected and beloved pastor, missionary, father and humble daily witness for Christ.
    I strive to emulate him as the finest example of Christian character I have known.

Quote Originally Posted by IMINXTC View Post
    I will go with a "gift from God."

A very close, late, associate exemplified all of the characteristics you have listed, and is fondly remembered as a highly respected and beloved pastor, missionary, father and humble daily witness for Christ.
    I strive to emulate him as the finest example of Christian character I have known.
    Thank you so much! It helps a lot to know that someone understands. God bless you!

Thread Information