Re: Jesus taught with power and authority... not like the scribes

Did you see post #12 ?
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

Quote Originally Posted by Christinme View Post
    The question is "how" to preach/teach in power and authority … ok … didn't read that from your OP … but since it is your OP I can respect that …
    I didn't want to just throw that out there right away. It felt unseemly to do so. But that is what I am really looking for. What was it about these men that qualified them for such power and authority. One thing is for sure... it cannot be about themselves. IMO, God will not give his power to someone who spends it on self.

I don't think someone can be taught "how" to preach/teach in power and authority … God gives power and authority to whom He gives it to … so I think best thing to do is "wait on the Lord" to anoint one to preach/teach …
    Agreed. Look at Moses. Early on, he thought he could go and deliver Israel and that they knew this was his calling. But that ended in the death of one man rather than liberty. 40 years later, after all that desert experience, Moses lost all confidence in his ability and himself. It was only then that the Lord came to Moses and embued him with power to set a nation free.

Maybe you want to share the verses you have found doing a little research …
    I only have a handful so far. I posted them above.

And concerning those who Jesus said "depart from me, you workers of iniquity" … what do you understand from that ...
    That the word itself has power. Doesn't matter who preaches it. The word will have an impact. But it won't have the same power as it would if it is delivered by someone who is anointed by the Holy Spirit! The sword and the Spirit combined are truly powerful. When the Spirit fell on Peter, it amazed those folks around him that this fisherman had some power and authority and yet was unlearned.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    That the word itself has power. Doesn't matter who preaches it. The word will have an impact. But it won't have the same power as it would if it is delivered by someone who is anointed by the Holy Spirit! The sword and the Spirit combined are truly powerful. When the Spirit fell on Peter, it amazed those folks around him that this fisherman had some power and authority and yet was unlearned.
    Nice … very nice!
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

That the word itself has power. Doesn't matter who preaches it. The word will have an impact.
    Agreed. Paul even verifies this:

Philippians 1: 15 Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. 16 The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

God's Word can always hit the mark, even if our AIM is not true by one's negative emotions while they preach.

But it won't have the same power as it would if it is delivered by someone who is anointed by the Holy Spirit! The sword and the Spirit combined are truly powerful. When the Spirit fell on Peter, it amazed those folks around him that this fisherman had some power and authority and yet was unlearned.
    Hooah!
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

"Jesus taught as one with authority" indicates one who knows his subject thoroughly and can properly represent it. It even more indicates he has God's call upon his life and is blessing that ministry.

When the Prophets in the OT spoke, they were commissioned by God and given the earmarks of God's approval. Some of those earmarks were "signs and wonders." It is one thing to say, "Be forgiven." It is another thing entirely to say, "Get up and walk--be healed." Authority from God is indicated by the demonstration of divine, supernatural power.

If we are talking about "how" to speak with authority, it is merely a matter of meeting God's criteria for being His ambassadors. That is 1) becoming Born Again, and 2) obeying God's word to our lives regularly, in matters of priority and morality.

If we know our call, it is completing that call. If we do these things, we have the authority to "bind and loose," which I believe refers to representing God's truth in the matter of forgiveness and judgment. Few seem to do this, since they are so afraid of "judging" improperly.

If we would be spokesmen for God we have to know God, mature in Him, and then know what He is saying to us on important occasions. Then we will indeed speak with authority.

And yes, there will signs and wonders of various kinds, confirming that God stands behind our words. If we declare God's forgiveness for someone who repents and embraces Jesus, they will indeed feel God's forgiveness and a new spirituality in their lives. If we call a fallen Christian back to the narrow path, they will feel forgiven and find new strength to begin anew.

These are some of the signs and wonders that will accompany our ministry, if we are faithful to obey God's call upon our lives. What we're called to do will produce fruit. That shows authority, or authorization from God.

That Jesus and Paul were anointed yes ... obviously ... but how does one tell when one who they are listening to is anointed when even the unanointed claim to be anoininted ... that I think is what is the essense of what is being asked ...
    I believe that it takes discernment to tell whether or not a person is truly anointed.
    I will give you an example. When I first gave my life to the Lord, I went to the church of a well known prosperity preacher. He was eventually featured on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. You could not tell me this man was not anointed.
    When he preached, people would jump, shout, clap, and say amen. I would buy all of his messages on cassette and listen to them so much, I knew them by heart. This began in 1996, by the year 2000, his entire church fell apart. I was so devastated, I was fit to be tied.
    In 2013, he was on the reality show Preachers Of L.A. and my pain started all over again.
    Last year, I got his messages out of storage and was trying to listen to them. I don't remember what he said, but it took one sentence for me to realize that while some of the things he said were indeed true, it was mixed with falsehood.

I always say, The most convincing lie you will ever tell is the one you mix with truth.

I threw all of those messages in the trash.

1 John 2:19 says,
    They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Hebrews 5:14 says,
    But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Been thinking about this verse off and on for a few days (and it is not the only time this is stated in the NT).

Matt 7:28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

What do y'all think about this? What was it about Jesus (and Paul too) and their teaching that their preaching/teaching was in power and authority? What was it about the scribes and their teaching that they lacked power and authority?
    1 John 2:20

But ye have an unction(anointing) from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

People can fake an anointing. It is actually taught to many modern day pastors. But the word of God says, by their fruits you will know them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee50 View Post
    I believe that it takes discernment to tell whether or not a person is truly anointed.
    I will give you an example. When I first gave my life to the Lord, I went to the church of a well known prosperity preacher. He was eventually featured on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. You could not tell me this man was not anointed.
    When he preached, people would jump, shout, clap, and say amen. I would buy all of his messages on cassette and listen to them so much, I knew them by heart. This began in 1996, by the year 2000, his entire church fell apart. I was so devastated, I was fit to be tied.
    In 2013, he was on the reality show Preachers Of L.A. and my pain started all over again.
    Last year, I got his messages out of storage and was trying to listen to them. I don't remember what he said, but it took one sentence for me to realize that while some of the things he said were indeed true, it was mixed with falsehood.

I always say, The most convincing lie you will ever tell is the one you mix with truth.

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
    Another factor in discernment of a message is about "conviction." An anointed speaker will offer a message that convicts people and many times, NO ONE is jumping, shouting, clapping... there is crying, mourning, lamentation, etc.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Another factor in discernment of a message is about "conviction." An anointed speaker will offer a message that convicts people and many times, NO ONE is jumping, shouting, clapping... there is crying, mourning, lamentation, etc.
    Slug1--out

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Indeed! There's a huge difference in an anointing word/preacher and a motivating word/speaker.

A proper anointing will point the people to the Lord and away from sin and self. If the preacher is primarily concerned with making you feel good about self, or helping you to elevate self, so that you are motivated in the natural, he is missing the boat. That's a false anointing. A true anointing is about power to be His witnesses, which in my opinion, also means power over sin/self as some earlier posts in this thread have pointed out.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

People can fake an anointing. It is actually taught to many modern day pastors. But the word of God says, by their fruits you will know them.
    Oh yes! The unction is the same as the anointing. Very good! I missed that passage. I need to add it to my list. Thank you!!!!

Blog Entries

I think this verse talks about those that claim to be "anointed" as much as those that claim to be the actual Christ:

Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

We often define this verse as many being deceived by someone claiming to be the Messiah. However, such the greek word for Christ means "anointing" it could just as easily read" Many will come claiming to be anointed by me and will deceive many"

I think this verse talks about those that claim to be "anointed" as much as those that claim to be the actual Christ:

Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

We often define this verse as many being deceived by someone claiming to be the Messiah. However, such the greek word for Christ means "anointing" it could just as easily read" Many will come claiming to be anointed by me and will deceive many"
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsword View Post

Thank you! Adding this to my notes too.

I am convinced that the enemy is a great immitator. If there is a true anointing, shouldn't we expect there to be a false anointing too?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Cool Re: Jesus taught with power and authority... not like the scribes

The question is "how" to preach/teach in power and authority … ok … didn't read that from your OP … but since it is your OP I can respect that …

I don't think someone can be taught "how" to preach/teach in power and authority … God gives power and authority to whom He gives it to … so I think best thing to do is "wait on the Lord" to anoint one to preach/teach …

Maybe you want to share the verses you have found doing a little research …

And concerning those who Jesus said "depart from me, you workers of iniquity" … what do you understand from that ...
    Indeed, Christ had to wait until it was His time to be seen (see John 2:4). Even the Apostles did not, go out and pronounce healing (save for that one time Matt. 10:5-7) until after Pentecost. We will see that, in our lifetimes, when the two witnesses are revealed (Rev. 11:3).
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

As I am reading it again, it seems to me that the verse is speaking of the anointing of a Christian.

If the unction is from the Holy One, how could it not be real? I am confused!

As I am reading it again, it seems to me that the verse is speaking of the anointing of a Christian.

Blog Entries

God provides the real anointing....the enemy tries to counterfeit it.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Thread Information