Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Preterist Gap

Re: The Preterist Gap

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    But my interpretation trumps yours, regardless. Until you accept that all of verse 27 is meaning what takes place during the 70th week, you have no valid argument that could possibly trump that.
    You didn't address my post and answer my questions.
    How many weeks were decreed for the atonement of iniquity? 69 or 70 ?
    Was it Jesus death and resurrection that secured it?
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    You didn't address my post and answer my questions.
    How many weeks were decreed for the atonement of iniquity? 69 or 70 ?
    Was it Jesus death and resurrection that secured it?
    Guess what though, 69.5 weeks(your interpretation of when Christ went to the cross) is not 70 weeks. The text in verse 24 makes it clear that 70 weeks are determined.

Here's an argument I have made in the past. Perhaps you may even recall me doing so.

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression

I would think the holy city is meaning Jerusalem. Clearly, in 70 AD Jerusalem was destroyed. Does it then make good sense that the transgression against Jerusalem is entirely finished, then some 40 years later this same Jerusalem is utterly destroyed? Of course it doesn't. Therefore the finishing of the 70 weeks have to be meaning a time post the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

I take it to mean He is cutoff after 69 weeks have concluded, IOW at the end of the 69 weeks. Something such as this....after he has served 10 days in jail he shall be released. This analogy shows it means at the conclusion of something.
    It takes a death and his shed blood to obtain eternal redemption for us.

15 For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation; 12 and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption

70 weeks not 69

70 weeks not 69
    Even you don't have it being 70 weeks either. You have it being 69.5 weeks.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The context of this verse is the 70th week. If Christ is meant in this verse and that there are no gaps in the 70 weeks, this verse needs to be understood like such then.

And Christ shall confirm the covenant with many for seven years: and in the midst of the seven years he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the end of the seven years, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Good luck with that interpretation being valid.

Guess what though, 69.5 weeks(your interpretation of when Christ went to the cross) is not 70 weeks. The text in verse 24 makes it clear that 70 weeks are determined.
    The Holy Spirit Anointed Jesus to complete the work that the Father gave him to do. This = 69.5 weeks as his death got us the victory. It is confirmed for the latter half of the week with Daniels people being baptized in the Holy Spirit before the good news of redemption went to the rest of the world.

Can the Holy Spirit be poured out on the world without a proper and full Atonement, and his everlasting righteous filling us ??

The Holy Spirit Anointed Jesus to complete the work that the Father gave him to do. This = 69.5 weeks as his death got us the victory. It is confirmed for the latter half of the week with Daniels people being baptized in the Holy Spirit before the good news of redemption went to the rest of the world.

Can the Holy Spirit be poured out on the world without a proper and full Atonement, and his everlasting righteous filling us ??
    Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

The way it seems to me though, Christ already did some of these things when He went to the cross, and that some of these things will be fulfilled once He returns.

For example...and to bring in everlasting righteousness. What did Peter have to say about that?

2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

If everlasting righteousness has already been brought in though, why was Peter still looking for a time and place wherein dwelleth righteousness? Didn't he know everlasting righteouness had already been brought in, assuming you are correct that all of the 70 weeks were fulfilled before Peter even wrote this?

I would think Christ already fulfilled this part though....and to make reconciliation for iniquity. And maybe this part as well, though I'm not entirely certain what this is meaning since it can be taken in more than one way...and to make an end of sins.

And I already showed in another post where it doesn't seem reasonable that the transgression is entirely finished concerning Jerusalem, then some 40 years later this same place is utterly destroyed.

And finally...and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy....I don't see how this is already the case.

And Christ shall confirm the covenant with many for seven years: and in the midst of the seven years he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the end of the seven years, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Where did you get that bolded part from above ?

The overspreading spans a period of time that results in the temple being destroyed. This has nothing to do with the objective of what is to happen regarding Jesus redemption in 70 weeks.

The overspreading spans a period of time that results in the temple being destroyed. This has nothing to do with the objective of what is to happen regarding Jesus redemption in 70 weeks.

If the context of verse 27 is the 70th week, thus all of that verse concerns the 70th week, that would have to be the logical conclusion if there are no gaps in the 70 weeks. The way you appear to be trying to get around this, you are denying that all of verse 27 involves the 70th week. Why would verse 27 be concerned with a period of time outside of the 70th week? Anyone reading Dan 9:27 before Christ's first advent couldn't have possibly come to some of the conclusions you are coming to here. They would have had no reason to think there was a gap in verse 27.

Jeff, it's pretty simple. If I am correct that all of Dan 9:27 involves the 70th week, by you then claiming there are no gaps in the 70 weeks, then claiming there is a gap after the middle of the week in verse 27 though, how can you not be contradicting what you have been claiming from the beginning, no gaps in the 70 weeks?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man
    God tells us in Ezekiel 37 that Israel is as DEAD MEN'S BONES unto Him for nigh 2000 years until the very end times. So there was no Israel, thus there is no Gap.

<snip>

So just because people don't understand the supposed "Gap" means very little to God. God sees Israel as a linear continuum until Jesus dies....then God refuses to recognize Israel's existence

<snip>

God sees what He sees.
    And just when I thought I'd heard them all! There is no gap, because there was no Israel? Your realm of thinking is too deep for my simple brain Revman.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Jeff, it's pretty simple. If I am correct that all of Dan 9:27 involves the 70th week, by you then claiming there are no gaps in the 70 weeks, then claiming there is a gap after the middle of the week in verse 27 though, how can you not be contradicting what you have been claiming from the beginning, no gaps in the 70 weeks?
    I am not claiming any gap. Are you actually reading my posts properly?

If you are , then you would you kindly respectfully answer my questions.

How can you not be a claiming a gap if in verse 27 you have Christ fulfilling the middle of the week, then having the remainder of that verse meaning some 40 years later or so? If that's not considered a gap, what is it considered then? But like I already pointed out, the way you appear to be getting around this, you think some of Dan 9:27 involves a period of time post the completion of the 70 weeks. But if I am correct instead, that all of verse 27 involves the 70th week, you then have a gap in the 70 weeks whether you meant to or not. IOW that would be the logical conclusion to come to as to what you are doing if I am correct about verse 27 involving nothing but the 70th week. Your interpretation has things going on in verse 27 that are not even relevant to the 70th week if you have those things taking place post the 70th week.

What questions am I not answering?

Are you actually reading my posts properly?
    I have to wonder that about you as well, are you actually reading my posts properly? And I'm not saying that to get even with what you asked here. I seriously wonder if you are actually reading my posts correctly? But as to me reading your posts correctly, I think I am. I'm not saying you are claiming a gap in the 70 weeks since you are reasoning that some of verse 27 does not involve the 70th week. What I am saying is, you already admit to a gap in verse 27, except you don't take it to be meaning a gap in the 70 weeks. But if I am correct about verse 27 only involving the 70th week, that gap you have in verse 27 would be in the 70 weeks after all, regardless that you never intended for it to be.

Thread Information