Page 1 of 14 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Preterist Gap

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

The Preterist Gap

I’ve been somewhat surprised to learn that some Preterists finish Daniels 70th week in AD 70. They postulate a 40 year gap between the “cutting off of Messiah in the midst of the week” and the destruction of the temple in AD 70. We might expect this kind of theory from full Preterists, but it comes from part-Preterists as well.

However, in so doing Preterists are being hypocritical when condemning Futurists for doing exactly the same thing by inserting a 2000 year gap. The only difference is length – but a gap nonetheless.

The proper explanation is simple. The 70 weeks finished 3 1/2 years after the crucifixion. Can someone explain why they believe the 70th week ends in AD 70? I suspect it is to do with verse 26 of Dan. 9. But there is a better way of interpreting that verse.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Blog Entries

Re: The Preterist Gap

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    I’ve been somewhat surprised to learn that some Preterists finish Daniels 70th week in AD 70. They postulate a 40 year gap between the “cutting off of Messiah in the midst of the week” and the destruction of the temple in AD 70. We might expect this kind of theory from full Preterists, but it comes from part-Preterists as well.

However, in so doing Preterists are being hypocritical when condemning Futurists for doing exactly the same thing by inserting a 2000 year gap. The only difference is length – but a gap nonetheless.

The proper explanation is simple. The 70 weeks finished 3 1/2 years after the crucifixion. Can someone explain why they believe the 70th week ends in AD 70? I suspect it is to do with verse 26 of Dan. 9. But there is a better way of interpreting that verse.
    Although I consider myself a partial preterist I agree with you about inserting a 40 year time gap I don’t though I see the 70th week being completed back in the time of the Maccabees

Good point. However, I would reassert my own view, that the 70th Week was not meant to be a full week. It ended in the midst of the Week, at the crucifixion of Christ.

Blog Entries

Hmm, but Daniel said "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people to finish ..." It was a very specific statement.
    "Your name and renown

Not 70 *whole* Weeks, but 70 linear weeks. When the 70th Week was reached, the period was fulfilled--it doesn't matter if it was only half a week. It was still the 70th consecutive week reached.

What completed the 70 Weeks was not the destruction of the temple, but the thing that completed the final Week. And that was the confirmation of the Covenant. That period of confirmation was completed in only a half week, which in effect ended the 70th Week period.

The destruction of the temple was to *follow* the confirmation of the Covenant. Jesus said the temple would be destroyed in his own generation, which was immediately after the fulfillment of the 70 Weeks. And that's exactly what happened in history. In 70 AD, 40 years after the crucifixion, the temple was destroyed.

Blog Entries

Hey Gabriel, did you mean "linear weeks?" No Daniel, I meant "weeks" as in blocks of Sabbatical years.
    "Your name and renown

Hey Gabriel, did you mean "linear weeks?" No Daniel, I meant "weeks" as in blocks of Sabbatical years.
    Yea, I get that all the time. No consideration of the *possibility* of this version--just a treatment of what is thought the *likelihood* of this version. I don't really know, but it makes honest sense to me. If you don't want to treat it honestly, be my guest and insult what you don't like.

1) My version has the 70 Weeks end with the 6 accomplishments in the time of Messiah.
    2) My version has the 70th Week coinciding with the confirmation, by Messiah, of the Covenant with the Jews.
    3) My version has the New Covenant beginning in the *middle* of the 70th Week.
    4) Thus, the 70 Weeks was a linear time period meant to lead to the confirmation of the Covenant by Christ. And the 70th Week was just a half Week, at the point where Christ was crucified, initiating the New Covenant.

You can't ask Gabriel. You can only use your noodle. No offense--I'm just turning the humor back on you...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk

1) My version has the 70 Weeks end with the 6 accomplishments in the time of Messiah.
    The 6th (last) accomplishment was to "anoint the most holy." Old Testament typology pictures this as the anointing of the tabernacle, the temple, or the new temple. The New Covenant identifies this as Christ's church.

So Randy, was the new temple raised up and anointed at the Cross or at Pentecost? How do you see it?
    "Your name and renown

The 6th (last) accomplishment was to "anoint the most holy." Old Testament typology pictures this as the anointing of the tabernacle, the temple, or the new temple. The New Covenant identifies this as Christ's church.

So Randy, was the new temple raised up and anointed at the Cross or at Pentecost? How do you see it?
    To be honest, this is for me the most difficult one. I do suspect there is an answer because generally, all 6 were designed to take place at the end of a specific timeline, after 69 weeks. They were all designed to be fulfilled in the 70th Week, when God's covenant with the Jews was confirmed. And clearly, the confirmation was completed not at the end of the 70th Week, but in the middle of the 70th Week. These things are beyond dispute, in my thinking.

The anointing of the Most Holy is an interesting phrase. This is not the initial creation of and dedication of the Most Holy. Rather, this has to do, specifically, with a work of the Messiah. How did Jesus actually anoint the Most Holy in his work on the cross?

According to NT Theology, Christ had a unique priesthood, different from the Levitical Priesthood. And his Temple was different than the Temple of the Law. His was an Heavenly Temple, where his blood was taken in a legal sense. This was a dedication of an Heavenly Most Holy for the purpose of giving access to all Christians to the eternal Presence of God.

I admit that the language is unique. But this was an unprecedented act, presaged only by the symbolism of the Old Covenant. Here is the NT Theology....

Heb 9.11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.

Hey Gabriel, did you mean a full 7 years ministry of Christ to confirm God's covenant with the Jews? No Daniel, I meant approx. 3.5 years ministry, because the full 70th Week would not be needed.

Did Christ have to spend a full 3 days and nights in the Grave? No, rising in the morning on the 3rd day gave him credit for the entire 3rd day.

Blog Entries

What would the Jews living in the times of the Maccabees of thought?

They saw the beast Antiochus epehanies bring war to Jerusalem stop the sacrifices and desecrate the temple with his abominations. They also saw the anointed priest Onias murdered by Antiochus

They knew that the anointed one Joshua was already sent back by king Cyrus to rebuild the city.

Daniels 70th would give them hope and when Antiochus died and the temple sacrifices were reset up would they not think that Daniels 70th week was about them?

I’m not sure why the current church always thinks that revelation and Daniels 70th weeks are all about us

Gabriel’s 70 week prophecy to Daniel was an answer to Daniels prayer for his people at his time

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    What would the Jews living in the times of the Maccabees of thought?

They saw the beast Antiochus epehanies bring war to Jerusalem stop the sacrifices and desecrate the temple with his abominations. They also saw the anointed priest Onias murdered by Antiochus

They knew that the anointed one Joshua was already sent back by king Cyrus to rebuild the city.

Daniels 70th would give them hope and when Antiochus died and the temple sacrifices were reset up would they not think that Daniels 70th week was about them?

I’m not sure why the current church always thinks that revelation and Daniels 70th weeks are all about us

Gabriel’s 70 week prophecy to Daniel was an answer to Daniels prayer for his people at his time
    There are problems with that view :
    1) which decree occurred 486.5 years earlier?
    2) what 3.5 year period applies to Antiochus

Antiochus matches the 2300 evenings and mornings of Daniel 8 (1150 days). But not 3.5 years, half of seven of Dan 9. The period of the Antiochus desecration was likely 3 years plus 2 extra Adar months, plus 10 days.

1080 + 60 + 10 = 1150 days as per Daniel 8.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    There are problems with that view :
    1) which decree occurred 486.5 years earlier?
    2) what 3.5 year period applies to Antiochus

Antiochus matches the 2300 evenings and mornings of Daniel 8 (1150 days). But not 3.5 years, half of seven of Dan 9. The period of the Antiochus desecration was likely 3 years plus 2 extra Adar months, plus 10 days.

1080 + 60 + 10 = 1150 days as per Daniel 8.
    Below are the time lines of each set of weeks

605 B.C. The start of the 70 weeks Daniel and the Jews are taken into captivity. (time goes backwards from the time of Daniel vision)

587 B.C. Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon the start of the 7 weeks (runs parallel to some of the 62 weeks)

170/1 B.C. Onias 3rd is murdered (cut off and has nothing) the second anointed one the last of the Zadokite priesthood which was the start of the 70th week.

538 B.C. King Cyrus issues a decree to go and rebuild Jerusalem and Joshua (the first anointed one who was to come) goes back to rebuild Jerusalem. This is the end of the 7 weeks which was 49 years after 587 B.C. when Jerusalem was destroyed.

167 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th desecrates the temple ˝ way through the 70th week. The abomination that caused desolation.

164/3 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th dies and the temple sacrifice is reestablished the end of the 70th week. (the end is poured out on him)

War continued during and until the end of the 70th week

The purposes of the 70 weeks in Daniel 9:24 were fulfilled by the Jews who remained loyal to God and resisted apostasy.

605 B.C.-171 B.C. 62 weeks or 434 years

587 B.C.-538 B.C. 7 weeks or 49 years

170/1 B.C.-164/3 B.C. 70th week or 7 years

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Below are the time lines of each set of weeks

605 B.C. The start of the 70 weeks Daniel and the Jews are taken into captivity. (time goes backwards from the time of Daniel vision)

587 B.C. Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon the start of the 7 weeks (runs parallel to some of the 62 weeks)

170/1 B.C. Onias 3rd is murdered (cut off and has nothing) the second anointed one the last of the Zadokite priesthood which was the start of the 70th week.

538 B.C. King Cyrus issues a decree to go and rebuild Jerusalem and Joshua (the first anointed one who was to come) goes back to rebuild Jerusalem. This is the end of the 7 weeks which was 49 years after 587 B.C. when Jerusalem was destroyed.

167 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th desecrates the temple ˝ way through the 70th week. The abomination that caused desolation.

164/3 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th dies and the temple sacrifice is reestablished the end of the 70th week. (the end is poured out on him)

War continued during and until the end of the 70th week

The purposes of the 70 weeks in Daniel 9:24 were fulfilled by the Jews who remained loyal to God and resisted apostasy.

605 B.C.-171 B.C. 62 weeks or 434 years

587 B.C.-538 B.C. 7 weeks or 49 years

170/1 B.C.-164/3 B.C. 70th week or 7 years
    I enjoy how you and FHG think out the box on this, breaking the 490 years up into 3 separate and sometimes overlapping periods. I personally don't think the 490 year period is meant to be understood that way. There are 490 Jewish years until completion, overlaps seem out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Hey Gabriel, did you mean a full 7 years ministry of Christ to confirm God's covenant with the Jews? No Daniel, I meant approx. 3.5 years ministry, because the full 70th Week would not be needed.

You're being illogical though. Pretty much everyone knows, thus agrees, 70 weeks equal 490 years. You have them meaning 486.5 years instead. You couldn't possibly be correct. The math doesn't work.

Thread Information