Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE END OF THE AGE!

Re: THE END OF THE AGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Briefcase View Post
    THE LAST DAYS:

In Acts 2:15, Peter quotes the prophecy of Joel 2:28f about the last days and emphatically says: “This is that” which was spoken by the prophet Joel.

“This is that” does NOT mean “this is not that!”

Peter not only affirmed the last days had arrived in the first century, he repeated it in Acts 3. He said that all of the prophets from Samuel forward, “foretold these days” (Acts 3:24).

Hebrews 9:26 deals a crippling blow to the idea that the last days are yet future. The writer says Jesus, “has appeared once, at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.”

The question is at the end of what age did Jesus appear?
    He surely did not appear at the end of the Christian age.

Jesus appeared under the Law (Gal 4:4), in the fullness of time. Thus, he appeared in the last days of the age of the Law, the last days of Israel, the last days of the Jewish age.

Paul insisted he was living in the end of the age (1 Cor 10:11 and Heb 1:1).

If the Jewish age was to end and the Christian age has no end, what age was about to end? (Heb 1:1; Js 5:3; 1Pet 1:20; Jude 18; 2Pet 3; 1 Jn 2:18)

What last days were they living in?

Time statements are consistently used, literally through the Bible, but the language of the “Day of the Lord” is consistently metaphorical throughout the Bible. There is not one example of “The Day of the Lord” language, ie: coming on the clouds, with fire, the Shout, The Trumpet, etc ever being fulfilled literally.
    There were many ages, the age before the flood, the age before the law, the age of the law, and the church age, then the coming Messianic age.

There were not many examples in the OT of church age type outpouring of the Holy Spirit, so when they witnessed this at Pentecost Peter explained that the behavior they were witnessing was that behavior mentioned in Joel 2, the revival outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon a large group of new believers during the church age. You are looking at timing, Peter was explaining church age behavior.

For example if speak in tongues to Catholics not exposed to it, I could always say, this is that spoken at Pentecost. I am not claiming to be at Pentecost when I compare identical biblical behavior.

Yes the prophets often prophesied about the church age, we are privileged to be in this age, as were the first century Christians.

Yes Jesus appeared once, at the end of the Jewish age of the Law, OT age. He completed that age at the cross, not at 70 AD as some claim.

THE LAST DAYS:

In Acts 2:15, Peter quotes the prophecy of Joel 2:28f about the last days and emphatically says: “This is that” which was spoken by the prophet Joel.

Peter not only affirmed the last days had arrived in the first century, he repeated it in Acts 3. He said that all of the prophets from Samuel forward, “foretold these days” (Acts 3:24).

Hebrews 9:26 deals a crippling blow to the idea that the last days are yet future. The writer says Jesus, “has appeared once, at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.”

Jesus appeared under the Law (Gal 4:4), in the fullness of time. Thus, he appeared in the last days of the age of the Law, the last days of Israel, the last days of the Jewish age.

If the Jewish age was to end and the Christian age has no end, what age was about to end? (Heb 1:1; Js 5:3; 1Pet 1:20; Jude 18; 2Pet 3; 1 Jn 2:18)

Time statements are consistently used, literally through the Bible, but the language of the “Day of the Lord” is consistently metaphorical throughout the Bible. There is not one example of “The Day of the Lord” language, ie: coming on the clouds, with fire, the Shout, The Trumpet, etc ever being fulfilled literally.
    The last days are simply the church age. 4000 human years had passed until the cross, the last 2000 years are the last days, the church age.

Of course there is no example of the extremely dramatic language of the second coming being fulfilled, the reason is that it will be the most dramatic day ever, and has never occurred before.

Jesus referred to an army that would surround Jerusalem and destroy the temple. This occurred quite literally in 70 AD.

Other prophecies refer to another massive army that will attack Jerusalem just before the second coming. There is no reason to deny that literal future war, when every other prophesied war occurred very literally (Assyrians/Babylonians/Romans)

If you do not believe in the literal second coming, at least believe prophetic precedent about wars which are literally fulfilled. There is a war to come, when the attacking armies are destroyed outside Jerusalem. Reserve your judgement about a literal second coming until that literal war actually occurs. The second coming occurs during that actual future war, whether the second coming aspect is symbolic or literal we can see at that literal future war.

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    The 'Day of the Lord's fiery wrath' is not metaphorical, it is literal; Isaiah 9:14, Isaiah 29:5-8, Zechariah 3:9, Revelation 18:8, +
    When it is understood what it is that the Lord will send on that Day, the one day will suffice to literally fulfil all the graphic prophesies about it.

The obvious reason that these prophesies were not literally fulfilled in ancient times, is they await the end times and will happen before Jesus Returns, exactly as Revelation tell us.
    Well said. Events will unfold exactly as per Revelation. Prophesied wars were fulfilled literally. Jesus prophesied about the Romans, that war occurred just as described. Jeremiah prophesied about the Babylonian. That war occurred as prophesied.

Rev 19, Zech 14, Rev 14, Joel 2/3, Ezekiel 38/39 describe another war. A war where Israel repents and the attacking armies are destroyed. The attack comes from the Northern direction.

There is absolutely no reason that this war will be symbolically fulfilled when the strong biblical precedent is that other wars are literally fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    The last days are simply the church age. 4000 human years had passed until the cross, the last 2000 years are the last days, the church age.

I agree. So can the last days also include a future millennium? The reason I ask...

Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
    3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
    4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I agree. So can the last days also include a future millennium? The reason I ask...

Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
    3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
    4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
    I guess so, possibly the whole millennium, but as your quote shows, at least the beginning of that millennium.

THE LAST DAYS:

Hi there Briefcase.

Has this happened yet?

Matt 13
    "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
    50 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So the end of the age we are living in = the final judgment, once the Gospel has been preached to all peoples.?

"The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
    38and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
    39and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
    40"So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.

41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Once mortality is replaced with the immortality then we will shine forth in his Kingdom.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Theophileous View Post
    There's a principle in biblical interpretation called, "Audience Relevance". The Bible can only mean what it originally meant to the people to whom it was originally written. Few Bible readers or biblical teachers respect the original context of inspired scripture. God wrote what he wrote to the people to whom he intended to write. God said what he said to the people to whom he originally spoke. It is up to Bible students to discover what God originally meant to his original audience. Otherwise, you risk making God say what he never intended to say. You risk ripping God's words from the original context. You risk making God say what he never said and never intended to say.

Every text in the Bible can only mean what it originally meant.

Jesus plainly states in his Revelation that no one was to "add to" or "take away from" what he originally revealed to John. I believe that principle should be applied to all inspired scripture. Leave God's words where they belong. That is, in the context in which God originally put them!

The "age" in which those people lived in New Testament times was like no other time in history. God came down during that generation and became flesh. The things in the New Testament were said to that generation in which God came down. Peter stated to that generation that all things written before their time was prophesied to be fulfilled in THEIR time. That is, Peter's time. See 1 Peter 1:10-22.

That generation into which Jesus, Peter, and Paul were born was a generation God would transition from one age to the new age in which you and I live today. The biblical "age" in which that generation lived was the Age and Administration of Moses. They transitioned to the endless Age of Christ.

You and I live in a time that Jesus called, "the age that is to come." Before HIS generation ended that transition was completed. There is no "end of the age" in our future. That "end" came in THEIR time.

If you believe Jesus is established as Lord and King then you believe Christ's Kingdom has fully come and that the "end of the age" is passed!

Jesus, Peter, and Paul lived in a time the Bible called, the "fulness of time" (Galatians 4:4). All time BEFORE their generation looked forward to their time. All time now, following their generation, looks back at their time. That's why your calendar begins from the time of the birth of Christ. There was no time like it ever before and there never will ever be a time like it again.

The "end of the age" was the end of the Judaic economy. That ended at the desolation of the former holy people, their former holy city, and their former holy temple. You now, as believers and followers of Christ, are the holy people, living in the holy city (spiritual Jerusalem) and your body is the temple where God's presence now dwells continually. You live daily in the original and true Holy of Holies that is the corporate Body of Christ. God is ALL-IN-ALL!
    You are advocating for Replacement Theology, which is a reasonable belief system, and an historical belief system, but not one I hold to. I believe Israel's OT system came to an end, yes. But I don't believe the nation of Israel is finished.

I do agree that Christ's time was the "fulness of time." But I don't believe it was the "end of the age." I don't believe the generation of Christ exhausted the meaning of the "end of the age," but only began the period of "the endtimes."

The Age to Come was a term that Israel saw as their future time of national glory--a time Christians often identify as the Millennial Age. Some call the Age to Come the 'Messianic Age.' That age has not come yet, in my opinion.

In my view, the entire NT age, in which we now live, is the endtimes, because it represents the judgment upon Israel, leading up to her national salvation. The "Last Days" is often used as language referring to the last days of the Endtimes, including the Reign of Antichrist and the period just prior to the Battle of Armageddon.

I guess so, possibly the whole millennium, but as your quote shows, at least the beginning of that millennium.
    It seems to me, the fact Amils apply Isaiah 2:2-4 to the church age, which to them is the millennium, this at least tells us that the last days include the entire millennium then.

It seems to me, the fact Amils apply Isaiah 2:2-4 to the church age, which to them is the millennium, this at least tells us that the last days include the entire millennium then.
    I wouldn't base my views on anything amills claim. They claim that Satan is bound in a pit when Rev 12 places him in the heavenly realms until the 3.5 years of wrath.

They claim that the martyrdom under the beast of Rev 20 is a different time period to the persecution of the beast for the 3.5 years before the second coming.

I wouldn't base my views on anything amills claim. They claim that Satan is bound in a pit when Rev 12 places him in the heavenly realms until the 3.5 years of wrath.

They claim that the martyrdom under the beast of Rev 20 is a different time period to the persecution of the beast for the 3.5 years before the second coming.
    My point was, their view, right or wrong, shows that the last days logically also fit the millennium. Thus the same has to be true of Premil. The last days also include the entire millennium. IOW, if Isaiah 2:2-4 can be fulfilled during the Amil millennium, then the same should be true for the Premil millennium. So it wasn't that I was agreeing with Amil then. And besides, I thought pretty much all Premils take Isaiah 2:2-4 to be meaning during the thousand years to begin with?

My point was, their view, right or wrong, shows that the last days logically also fit the millennium. Thus the same has to be true of Premil. The last days also include the entire millennium. IOW, if Isaiah 2:2-4 can be fulfilled during the Amil millennium, then the same should be true for the Premil millennium. So it wasn't that I was agreeing with Amil then. And besides, I thought pretty much all Premils take Isaiah 2:2-4 to be meaning during the thousand years to begin with?
    Yes definitely Isaiah 2 refers to the millennium. Each age is the last days, compared to the previous ages. For example, those who lived in BC days could regard those as the last days (last days before salvation comes to earth).

In a similar manner the millennium is the last days in that context.

Blog Entries

THE LAST DAYS:

So was the event of the outpouring of the Spirit in Joel the exact same event spoken? Or was it merely an example?

This can be easily answered if one just looks at the setting of Joel 2 and then Joel 3 and clearly was Peter spoke of was an example and not the same time frame as Joel.

Well if you quoted it correctly you would see that it does not mean what you say...….

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

You have it backwards per the verse. When is sin defeated and put away? At the end of the physical world at the second coming. So it is not that Christ appeared in the first century and his sacrifice.

Sin brings forth death...…….

1 Cor 15
    24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
    25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
    26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

So the "last days" did not occur in the first century!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post

So here is your homework. Is the "Day of the Lord" 12 hours, 24 hours, an undetermined period, or will the Millennium be the Lord's "DAY" - a thousand years? What are your scriptures for your answer?
    Undetermined time.

For the day starts with the sun blackened ect…. so how can we determine the length since the instruments used to determine such no longer are able? Thus currently it is impossible to know the length of this day.

Now there will be only one who will know the start and finish and that's God the Father (time).

Thus the reason why no one will know the day nor the hour of the this day and the coming of the Lord.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Undetermined time.

For the day starts with the sun blackened ect…. so how can we determine the length since the instruments used to determine such no longer are able? Thus currently it is impossible to know the length of this day.

Now there will be only one who will know the start and finish and that's God the Father (time).

Thus the reason why no one will know the day nor the hour of the this day and the coming of the Lord.
    Yes, we don't know when the Lord will send His fiery wrath.
    But we do know what He will use and that it will only affect the earth for one literal day.

Zephaniah 1:14-18 The great Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath 1 is near, very near and coming quickly. Listen for the sound of that Day 2. When it comes, even the warriors will panic and be terrified.
    That Day will be a day of great fury, a day of distress and torment, a day of destruction and devastation, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and thick blackness, a day of the shofar battle call against fortifications and upon all military strength 3.
    Because the people have sinned against the Lord, He will bring a shocking disaster to all those who live in the holy Land. Their blood will be poured out like dust and their entrails like dung. Their strength and riches will not save them on the Day of the Lord’s fiery wrath, the whole Land will be burnt and devastated. For He will make an end, a horrible end of all who live in the holy Land

Isaiah 13:9-13 Here comes the Day of the Lord’s wrath; a Day full of fury and the outpoured wrath of the Lord. The whole earth will be devastated 5 and the ungodly people will be destroyed.
    On that Day, you will not have any light from the sun, the moon or the stars 6. The sky will tremble and shudder and the earth will be shaken from is place 7.
    On that Day, humans will become scarce, they will be as rare as fine gold, after the Day of the Lord’s blazing anger

Isaiah 24:1-13 Be warned, the Lord is about to strip the earth, ruin and devastate it. All the world’s inhabitants, without exception, will be severely affected 9. For the Lord has spoked this Word: The whole world is defiled by its peoples, they have changed the Laws, ignored the Statutes and broken the everlasting Covenant.
    Therefore My curse will consume the earth and its inhabitants will suffer punishment. They are burned up and very few are left 10. There will no longer be revelry and partying, the sounds of music and song will cease.
    The cities and towns will be in chaos 11, every house locked and the people gone. They will be deserted, with all the roads and bridges destroyed. It will be like that throughout the world, in all the nations, just like an olive tree, beaten and stripped after the harvest.

Ref: NIV, KJV, CJB, REB. Some verses condensed.

1/ This Great Day is the Lord’s Judgement/Punishment of the nations. Habakkuk 3:12 Nothing like what is prophesied above has happen to the world since Noah’s Flood.
    Now, as 2 Peter 3:7 says: The earth is reserved for burning…. We are told that God will bring out of His storehouse… Deuteronomy 32:22 & 34-35, the sun: Isaiah 30:26, by a massive explosion, that will cause all the vividly described effects. It will affect every nation on earth, as it revolves; just for the daylight hours.
    This worldwide disaster will be triggered by an attack onto Israel by her enemies. Haggai 2:6, Isaiah 63:1-6, Psalms 83:1-18, Romans 1:18, Revelation 6:12-17
    2/ The great sound will be heard around the world. Jeremiah 25:30-31, Jeremiah 51:54-55, Isaiah 29:6, Joel 2:1
    3/ All the kinds of military powers will be destroyed, especially the nuclear weapons neutralized. Jeremiah 49:35, Jeremiah 50:22-27, Hosea 2:18, Amos 5:9, Micah 5:10-11, Isaiah 32:14, Hosea 8:14
    4/ All of the holy Land will be devastated and depopulated: Jeremiah 12:14, Jeremiah 10:18, Ezekiel 30:1-5, Ezekiel 21:1-7, Micah 1:6, Hosea 4:3, Isaiah 6:11-12
    5/ The whole world will be severely affected: Zephaniah 3:8, Isaiah 66:15-16, Malachi 4:3, Nahum 1:5, Jeremiah 25:32
    6/ There will be no natural light, caused by the electrically induced atmospheric changes and smoke from the fires and volcanoes. Isaiah 47:3, Amos 5:20, Joel 2:2, Jeremiah 4:23, Isaiah 34:4, Revelation 6:13…the sky rolled up like a scroll…..
    7/ The earth will be pushed along its orbital track, bringing us back to a 360 day year. Isaiah 13:13, Haggai 2:21-22, Joel 2:10, Psalms 18:7
    8/ Possibly up to 2/3 of the world’s population will die. Evil peoples will be destroyed. This Judgement by fire will be God’s second reset of human civilization and similar in magnitude to the Flood. Isaiah 26:21, Isaiah 51:6, Isaiah 30:30, Jeremiah 9:21-22, Ezekiel 21:21, Revelation 14:17-20
    9/ Everybody now alive will experience this terrible time, it will fall upon all and test the worth of each person. 1 Corinthians 3:13, Luke 21:35, John 17:15, Revelation 3:19, Psalms 118:17-18
    10/ The Middle East region will be the most affected by the direct hit of this CME, but many will die around the world from the resultant earthquakes, storms and tsunamis. Isaiah 33:10-13, Isaiah 63:1-6, Psalms 37:20, Amos 5:8, Nahum 1:8
    11/ After this worldwide disaster that will destroy our modern infrastructure, to restore law and order, the survivors will establish a One World Government. There will be ten regions, each ruled by a President. Daniel 11:21-24, Revelation 17:12. But the new nation, in all of the holy Land, called Beulah, will not be a part of the OWG. Isaiah 62:1-5, Ezekiel 39:25-29, Ezekiel chapters 40-48, Zechariah 8:1-13

Isaiah 24:14-16 & 23 The Lord’s people lift their voices, they shout for joy. His righteous people in the West, in the East and on the islands of the sea: all giving honour to the God of Israel. From the ends of the earth, we hear them singing: Glory to God, our Saviour and Redeemer.
    Zechariah 8:4-6 The Lord says: I am about to rescue My people and bring them back to live in the holy Land. Once again old men and women will sit in the streets of Jerusalem and the place will be full if children at play. Even if this seems impossible to those who remain in those days, will it be impossible for Me?
    Revelation 7:9-10 I saw a vast throng, [in Jerusalem] too many to count; people from all races, every tribe, nation and language, standing before the throne of the Lamb. They were robed in white and had palm branches in their hands. They shouted: Victory to our God and to the Lamb who sits on the throne!
    Note that Jesus will be revealed to His own before His Return. 2 Thess. 1:10, Rev 14:1

All those people who are faithful to God and accept the atoning sacrifice of Jesus, are ‘accounted worthy’. Colossians 1:10-12, 2 Peter 3:14 They are all deemed to be Israelites, whether by descent or by grafting in. Galatians 3:26-29
    They will be protected during the forthcoming Day of the Lord’s wrath, Joel 3:32, Isaiah 43:2, and the Lord will provide ways of transportation for them. Psalms 68:17, Psalms 107:1-32, Isaiah 66:20 They will gather and settle into all of the holy Land. Isaiah 49:8-23, Zechariah 10:8-10, Jeremiah 31:8-9 The Lord will give them new names: Isaiah 62:1-5 and a new language: Zephaniah 3:9

Blog Entries

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    Yes, we don't know when the Lord will send His fiery wrath.
    But we do know what He will use and that it will only affect the earth for one literal day.
    I do agree that it will be a short period of time however it might not be exactly 24 hours..... no one will know.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Why do they not know, how can not even the son of God know? Father God only has the time (father time). As the instruments to tell time have vanished before this day.

Thread Information