Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revival praying

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Revival praying

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Praise God ! So true , nothing compares ! I would like to put it into words on how it feels in a service when the presence of God comes down . I guess you just have to be there .

I like to go out on front patio at night and pray in the dark under the stars . God moved on me in mighty way one night , in fact I felt so good I have nothing to compare it to . If you have never tried praying like this you need to try it out .
    I sit on the tailgate of my truck at night and do the same
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Our equating these things with prayer and worship is part of the problem Singh is highlighting.
    Amen.... works can deceive us into thinking we're deep in God. The reality is, it's what keeps us from God... all in Jesus' name.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Amen.... works can deceive us into thinking we're deep in God. The reality is, it's what keeps us from God... all in Jesus' name.
    Mary chose the one needful thing.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Our equating these things with prayer and worship is part of the problem Singh is highlighting.
    The book as been convicting and encouraging to me. Brother Ravenhill in another chapter, spoke of praying like Hannah. She was tormented due to being barren. He spoke elequantly of how she went through phases until she was desparate to have a child. As he was writing, it became apparent to me that she was praying for fruit! And then Ravenhill made that point. I was awestruck. More than anything she wanted to bear fruit to the Lord and gave up her son to Him. What a son he was too!

This book has exposed my prayer life to be a pittance of what it could be. I want to learn to pray.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    That was a bit judgmental of the author! There is certainly some truth in it, but it's hardly true that Christians in India are somehow "spiritually superior" to American Christians, unless he is speaking generally of liberal Christian churches. While there are evangelicals who are equally compromised with the world, I'm sure the same is true of Indian Christians. Whereas Indian Christians may spend hours in prayer and worship, some American Christians spend hours doing their jobs, give money for their families, churches, and to the State, which helps people. Many of us spend time on Facebook or other Social Media platforms trying to reach people with God's word--hours! Some of us have several Bible studies a week, along with church worship on Sunday, along with special praise gatherings. Many of us watch Christian TV or Christian programming on the internet. Why should we try to prove who is better? Why should someone try to tar all of American Christianity as lukewarm? Maybe they don't know us, or haven't visited all of our churches? Conviction doesn't come through "shaming."
    The quote moved me deeply. It's why I posted it. I was convicted and encouraged by it. Another quote by Ravenhill that just went through me was along the lines of this: (and it is a rough quote) "Jesus disciples heard him preach the great sermon on the mount. The greatest preacher, with the greatest wisdom, preached and yet, they did not ask Jesus to teach them to pray. They saw Jesus work miracles and yet, they did not ask Jesus to teach them to work miracles. But when they saw and heard him pray, they said 'teach us to pray'." Note that they didn't ask "teach me how to pray" but rather "teach us to pray". It went through me like a hot knife through butter.

As for me, I have a lot to learn about prayer!

God bless you brother Randy!
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Mary chose the one needful thing.
    Hooah and Amen! A perfect example of the point needed for this thread.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

The book as been convicting and encouraging to me. Brother Ravenhill in another chapter, spoke of praying like Hannah. She was tormented due to being barren. He spoke elequantly of how she went through phases until she was desparate to have a child. As he was writing, it became apparent to me that she was praying for fruit! And then Ravenhill made that point. I was awestruck. More than anything she wanted to bear fruit to the Lord and gave up her son to Him. What a son he was too!

This book has exposed my prayer life to be a pittance of what it could be. I want to learn to pray.
    Hannah's story/prayer is what lead me into valuing prayer more also! That's why I had to put it as my signature My relationship with God skyrocketed when I began to seek and spend time with Him personally. No amount of learning or reading ever compares to prayer. And, I've heard that used as a cliche many times - but Hannah is really the perfect example of what prayer is. Just genuine, heartfelt, unfiltered, knowing every situation and struggle is under God's authority. Then how the gospel comes into the picture. Ugh, I could go on this soapbox for hours, lol.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Blog Entries

The quote moved me deeply. It's why I posted it. I was convicted and encouraged by it. Another quote by Ravenhill that just went through me was along the lines of this: (and it is a rough quote) "Jesus disciples heard him preach the great sermon on the mount. The greatest preacher, with the greatest wisdom, preached and yet, they did not ask Jesus to teach them to pray. They saw Jesus work miracles and yet, they did not ask Jesus to teach them to work miracles. But when they saw and heard him pray, they said 'teach us to pray'." Note that they didn't ask "teach me how to pray" but rather "teach us to pray". It went through me like a hot knife through butter.

As for me, I have a lot to learn about prayer!

God bless you brother Randy!
    Ravenhill was a great man of God with some unique insight. I still read and listen to him to this day. I think his position on the way things were heading has proven to be pretty accurate.
    As for prayer? I pray everyday but not like I should. I mean, I can spend hours and hours reading the word...but when I have prayed just a little it seems like a task. The only exception to prayer being a task are those times(on the mountain heights)when all is good and God's presence can be strongly felt. Easy to pray for long periods then.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

In the current issue of Conquest for Christ (the official organ of International Students, Inc.), there is an article by Bakht Singh. This dear Christian leader in India says, "The indigenous churches in India have a great burden for America just now...And are praying that God will visit your country with revival... You feel sorry for us in India because of our poverty of material things. We who know the Lord in India feel sorry for you in America because of your spiritual poverty. We pray that God may give you gold tried in fire which He has promised to those who know the power of His resurrection... In our churches we spend four or five or six hours in prayer and worship, and frequently our people wait on the Lord in prayer all night; but in America after you have been in church for one hour, you begin to look at your watches. We pray that God may open your eyes to the true meaning of worship...To attract people to meetings you have a great dependence on posters, on advertising, on promotion, and on the build-up of a human being; in India we have nothing more the the Lord Himself and we find that He is sufficient...We are praying that the people in America might also come to church with a hunger for God and not merely a hunger to see some form of amusement or hear choirs or the voice of any man."
    Effective prayer is not about how long one prays, but in how fervent (intense) the prayer is. And, an intense prayer is not about how emotional or how loud one prays during a vigil night, but in how the will of God is sought after or touched in prayer.

Spiritual poverty? Does Bakht Singh know and understand that, pertaining to the kingdom of God, blessed are the poor in Spirit?

So, I don't understand why OP is necessary at all, or what it seeks to achieve other than strife and condescension.
    Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious View Post
    Effective prayer is not about how long one prays, but in how fervent (intense) the prayer is. And, an intense prayer is not about how emotional or how loud one prays during a vigil night, but in how the will of God is sought after or touched in prayer.
    Amen !
    Prayers are for closets/secret/alone-solitude, period.
    In my opinion any other platform of prayer only glorifies men, and is smoke in God's eyes, rather than a sweet fragrance to His nostrils as it should be.

Spiritual poverty? Does Bakht Singh know and understand that, pertaining to the kingdom of God, blessed are the poor in Spirit?
    Amen !
    Poverty of spirit = our humility toward our God first, and our humility toward God will eventually produce in us meekness toward our fellow creatures on Earth.

So, I don't understand why OP is necessary at all, or what it seeks to achieve other than strife and condescension.
    Well, in His own words Jesus also came to bring "strife and condescension" too, bring strife and condescension even inside of a man's own family.
    ....What are the implications of strife and condescension ? ...I say it is something the Holy Spirit can and does use to build Jesus's kingdom.
    Meaning, the Holy Spirit intentionally-purposefully uses strife and condescension down here to bring more glory to God. (to please God, man was created for God's pleasure)

So, do you really want a public safe-space/place down here on fallen Earth ? ...I do not want a safe place for my soul or any other soul down here on fallen Earth.
    Christ Jesus will be my only One safe place down here (hidden in Christ).
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

To me there's no question that the US suffers from a severe case of spiritual poverty. However, I disagree with Singh that the solution is in long prayer vigils and church services. Our material abundance unquestionably plays a role. When God is all you have, that's where you turn.

But there's a lot more to it. Maybe more sincere praying or more sincere worship. The US clearly "has a form of godliness but has denied its power." It seems we have forgotten the true meaning of faith. It's not only that by which we're saved but is that which changes us into holy people. "However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"—Luke 18:8.

Deception also plays a role. As we get closer to the end times the church is becoming more and more deceived. Its teaching has become more off course. Consequently, the examples of holy living are becoming fewer and fewer. ". . .because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, in order that judgment will come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness."—2 Thess. 2:10-12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Amen !
    Prayers are for closets/secret/alone-solitude, period.
    In my opinion any other platform of prayer only glorifies men, and is smoke in God's eyes, rather than a sweet fragrance to His nostrils as it should be.

While almost all of my prayer time is alone there are times that we need to pray together . When we gather to pray for one another in church , laying on of hands .

James 5:14-15 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.

And great things can happen when we are together praying .

Acts 1:14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.

Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

While almost all of my prayer time is alone there are times that we need to pray together . When we gather to pray for one another in church , laying on of hands .

James 5:14-15 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.

And great things can happen when we are together praying .

Acts 1:14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.

Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
    Hi Hawkman, thank you for pointing this out.
    I thought about those examples after I posted, but I still stand firm on prayers are for closets/secret/alone-solitude.
    My prime example will be Jesus's prayer life recorded in our bibles.

My other examples found in scripture maybe trespassing into semantics while explaining why I see calling the elders to pray over us when sick. Or while gathering with two or more to pray for God to fulfill a spoken word of promise found in scripture, or for protection from imminent danger facing a brother or sister in Christ. Or even when following my Lord's appointed time and duration set to pray for a specific promised event to unfold.
    ....I do not see those example-types of prayers found in scripture as public prayers, nor are they prayers in front of a congregation, nor is it even hinted that any of those examples of two or more praying in one accord as vocal prayers either.

So, I'm still standing on the scripture(s) that specifically instruct us to pray in our closets, secretly and God who hears in secret/privately will reward openly/publicly. God only answers prayers to glorify His name.
    ....And even more importantly to me, public prayers are always led by man.
    Meaning, I prefer to remain being led by the Holy Spirit in my prayer life.
    But, I will submit to being silent and bowing low when a man or woman leads a group in public prayer, I may even offer an amen at the closing too, if I am moved by the Holy Spirit to offer it.

God bless
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Revival praying

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    Hi Hawkman, thank you for pointing this out.
    I thought about those examples after I posted, but I still stand firm on prayers are for closets/secret/alone-solitude.
    My prime example will be Jesus's prayer life recorded in our bibles.

My other examples found in scripture maybe trespassing into semantics while explaining why I see calling the elders to pray over us when sick. Or while gathering with two or more to pray for God to fulfill a spoken word of promise found in scripture, or for protection from imminent danger facing a brother or sister in Christ. Or even when following my Lord's appointed time and duration set to pray for a specific promised event to unfold.
    ....I do not see those example-types of prayers found in scripture as public prayers, nor are they prayers in front of a congregation, nor is it even hinted that any of those examples of two or more praying in one accord as vocal prayers either.

So, I'm still standing on the scripture(s) that specifically instruct us to pray in our closets, secretly and God who hears in secret/privately will reward openly/publicly. God only answers prayers to glorify His name.
    ....And even more importantly to me, public prayers are always led by man.
    Meaning, I prefer to remain being led by the Holy Spirit in my prayer life.
    But, I will submit to being silent and bowing low when a man or woman leads a group in public prayer, I may even offer an amen at the closing too, if I am moved by the Holy Spirit to offer it.

God bless
    Have you been in church service where there was a time of corporate prayer ? All of the people present were praying at the same time some outloud and some silent ?

Have you been in church service where there was a time of corporate prayer ? All of the people present were praying at the same time some outloud and some silent ?
    Yes, and frequently too it is not like a rare thing in my life, and it does not bother me either.

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to change the way that they are most comfortable praying, I am just offering the biblical reasons for my stand and perspective on prayer.

Thread Information