View Poll Results: Did the Jewish believers continue offering animal sacrifices?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jewish believers stopped sacrificing immediately following Christ’s final sacrifice.

0 0%
  • They stopped after Pentecost and/or when the Spirit was poured on the Gentiles.

1 11.11%
  • Believers gradually realized the New Covenant no longer required animal sacrifice.

7 77.78%
  • Sacrifice was accepted by God till AD 70 when the Old Covt. was finally abolished.

0 0%
  • Old Covenant has not been abolished, and temple sacrifice will resume in the future.

1 11.11%
  • Other reason for sacrifices between the Cross and destruction of the temple.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Jewish believers continue offering animal sacrifices?

Blog Entries

Did the Jewish believers continue offering animal sacrifices?

Did the early Christians of Jewish descent, continue offering animal sacrifices from Jesus’ death until AD 70 when the temple was destroyed? In particular, did they offer Passover and Day of Atonement sacrifices? We have references of believers being found in the Temple courts, but did they actually present animals for slaughter on the altar?

Please do the poll. Multiple choice and vote change may be made.

1. Jewish believers stopped sacrificing immediately following Christ’s final sacrifice.
    2. They stopped after Pentecost and/or when the Spirit was poured on the Gentiles.
    3. Believers gradually realized the New Covenant no longer required animal sacrifice.
    4. Sacrifice was accepted by God till AD 70 when the Old Covt. was finally abolished.
    5. Old Covenant has not been abolished, and temple sacrifice will resume in the future.
    6. Other reason for sacrifices between the Cross and destruction of the temple.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Re: Did the Jewish believers continue offering animal sacrifices?

PS: Maybe I missed it, but I did not find in your poll options a choice allowing for my answer.

If I remember correctly of all the many different types sacrifices(not just animal sacrifices) that are offered in the Hebrew religion, there are two maybe three different animal sacrifices, and of those two or three animal sacrifices only one was a blood atoning sin sacrifice.
    ....So, to answer your question I think that messianic Jews did continue offering sacrifices, but no longer any blood atoning sin animal sacrifices once they were informed or realized what Jesus had fulfilled on the cross.

God bless.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
    Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

This is a good question. Scripture seems mysteriously silent concerning it. At the Jerusalem Council (c.50 A.D.), there were Jewish believers who still thought Gentiles should be circumcised according to the Law of Moses (see Acts 15). My guess is it was a gradual process which finally reached its conclusion in 70 A.D. I chose the third answer but it could be both three and four. Anxious to hear what light others might have on this.

This is a good question. I hardly think the apostles, who were Jewish, failed to recognize that the Jewish People had been dismissed by the act of Jesus' crucifixion. This meant they fully understood that Jewish religion had lost its efficacy and were being practiced by rote.

Furthermore, these apostles fully realized that Jesus himself had become a different, and over-arching atonement, that supplanted any need for atonement under the Law. Even if the Jewish followers of Jesus continued to perform all of their traditional rites under the Law, it is clear the apostles themselves, who taught the Gospel, knew these activities were largely traditional.

There obviously were questions as to how much of the moral requirements of the Law remained in force. It seems that only Paul initially had the full revelation as to how Grace completely replaced the Law as a covenant system, leaving all moral aspects of the Law reinterpreted in the light of a new system of Grace. And Paul's theology clearly took hold early on.

We are only talking about a single generation of Jewish believers here, because 40 years after Jesus' death the temple was destroyed. Obviously, there were Jewish groups that persisted in following their own way, and perpetuated legalism.

The Ebionites are an obvious example. They just couldn't let go of the importance, to them, of Jewish tradition, which called for a religious specific to the Jews. But they would go the way of the world. Any Christian group later on, whether Jewish or not, would find themselves "heretical" if they posed any obligation to Judaism, as opposed to exclusive trust in Christ's sacrifice.

Blog Entries

Of the list, the third one is the most true - Jewish converts began to understand more of the effects of the crucifixion over time. But I think for the Jewish people as a whole, a rewording of the fourth option would be accurate. The main reason there wasn't a continuation is because of the temple destruction. However, God DID NOT accept any animal sacrifices from ANYONE after Christ Himself was sacrificed once for all. This is a major point the book of Hebrews addresses.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Of the list, the third one is the most true - Jewish converts began to understand more of the effects of the crucifixion over time. But I think for the Jewish people as a whole, a rewording of the fourth option would be accurate. The main reason there wasn't a continuation is because of the temple destruction. However, God DID NOT accept any animal sacrifices from ANYONE after Christ Himself was sacrificed once for all. This is a major point the book of Hebrews addresses.
    I have to disagree, God did accept animal sacrifices, Christ's offer took care of sin, but what about the other sacrifices? This leaves room for sacrifices for sinS, guilt and sin offerings, and burn, food and peace offerings, which can also be brought without sin as an expression of total devotion, of approaching to God.
    "Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
    a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
    rightly dividing the word of truth."
    2 Tim. 2:15

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adonijah View Post
    I have to disagree, God did accept animal sacrifices, Christ's offer took care of sin, but what about the other sacrifices? This leaves room for sacrifices for sinS, guilt and sin offerings, and burn, food and peace offerings, which can also be brought without sin as an expression of total devotion, of approaching to God.
    What about the other sacrifices? You tell me!

For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sinS. Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me; in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure [...] When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. (Hebrews 10)

God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross. (Colossians 1) Since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 5)

Why would we ever perform animal sacrifices of "worship/devotion" when we have something greater?:

Believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem (the temple, AKA law sacrifices) will you worship the Father [...] the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these. (John 4) You have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!" (Romans 8)

Do I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats? Sacrifice a thank offering to God, and fulfill your vows to the Most High. Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor Me. (Psalm 50) Through Jesus therefore let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. (Hebrews 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Adonijah View Post
    What Aviyah said. But the animal sacrifices were for sin never what God was looking for... even David, under the OT law recognized this and wrote about it in Psalm 51. As for other sacrifices, we live by the Spirit of the law now and not the letter. Thus, we offer ourselves as living sacrifices to God (Romans 12) as Isaac did with Abraham. We offer sacrifices of praise (which David also knew in the OT), and so on.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Jacob's Ladder]PS: Maybe I missed it, but I did not find in your poll options a choice allowing for my answer.[/COLOR]

If I remember correctly of all the many different types sacrifices(not just animal sacrifices) that are offered in the Hebrew religion, there are two maybe three different animal sacrifices, and of those two or three animal sacrifices only one was a blood atoning sin sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder
    ....So, to answer your question I think that messianic Jews did continue offering sacrifices, but no longer any blood atoning sin animal sacrifices once they were informed or realized what Jesus had fulfilled on the cross.
    May I suggest option 3 for your position. Or perhaps there should have been an option 7; Some sacrifices continued, but not 'atoning' sacrifices.
    "Your name and renown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pdun459 View Post
    This is a good question. Scripture seems mysteriously silent concerning it. At the Jerusalem Council (c.50 A.D.), there were Jewish believers who still thought Gentiles should be circumcised according to the Law of Moses (see Acts 15). My guess is it was a gradual process which finally reached its conclusion in 70 A.D. I chose the third answer but it could be both three and four. Anxious to hear what light others might have on this.
    Hebrews has plenty to say about it but, admittedly, was written after 50 AD. As for Acts 15, do you think the practice of sacrifice was included in the Judaizers insistence that “It is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses.”(Acts 15:5)

to keep the law of Moses = all of it including sacrifice?
    "Your name and renown

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
    [COLOR=#A9A9A9]

So why have the temple destroyed eventually if it was still useful to God in some regards, such as what you brought up here? Once the temple was destroyed, assuming these messianic Jews did continue offering other kinds of sacrifices in it, up until it was destroyed, what then? How did they continue to offer these same other type of sacrifices once the temple no longer remained standing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk
    Furthermore, these apostles fully realized that Jesus himself had become a different, and over-arching atonement, that supplanted any need for atonement under the Law. Even if the Jewish followers of Jesus continued to perform all of their traditional rites under the Law, it is clear the apostles themselves, who taught the Gospel, knew these activities were largely traditional.
    You seem to be saying that "Jewish followers of Jesus who continued to perform all of their traditional rites under the Law" were somewhat less enlightened than the apostles, but do you think that their ignorance may have have been more serious than you suggest? IOW blasphemy?
    "Your name and renown

The Jewish believers DID continue with the sacrifices even decades after our Lord's death. Acts 21:19-21 occurred after Paul's thrid missionary journey and led to his first captivity - that is, probably around 30 years after Christ's death:

19 "And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
    20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
    21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs."

Israel were given the Law of Moses which contained the sacrifices. Men and women who disobeyed that Law were slain. It was a serious business. And by the time of Paul's third missionary journey, the Jews had been practicing this Law as a way of life for over 1,500 years. The Law permeated their daily lives from birth to death. It formed their customs and traditions. It was their law-book used to judge them. We must never underestimate how strong the Law was in the life of an Israeli.

We have record after record of Jews who had turned to Christ, returning to the Law, and trying to turn the gentile Believers to it. It was so strong that even Paul was caught by it. In Acts 21, what was Paul doing in Jerusalem? Did not the Holy Spirit tell him via TWO DIFFERENT Churches, that he was not to go. What was Paul doing getting mixed up in a vow he made before he became a Christian. Does not 2nd Corinthians 5:17 say; "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." What was Paul doing in the temple. Had he not just returned from telling the Gentiles that God's House was now the Church and not a building? I tell you, Paul's past was still coursing in his Jewish veins.

I personally believe that God allowed the Romans to destroy Jerusalem and the Temple because of a broken Law. The conditions of the Covenant demanded it. I also believe that God allowed the destruction of the State of Israel, Jerusalem and their Temple as punishment for rejecting their Messiah when they saw over 330 proofs unfold before their eyes. And I ALSO believe that God allowed the destruction of Jewry because the Law provided the single greatest threat to Christianity. No Book in the New Testament is written like Galatians. It almost does not fit into the age of grace. Paul, under inspiration, calls for men to be "cut off" and calls them "cursed". It is by far the harshest Book of the New Testament. Why? BECAUSE GOD'S PEOPLE LOVE LAWS. Jews love THE Law. Christians also love LAWS. Thou shalt not drink alcohol! Thou shalt not wear a bikini! Give tithes of your salary (before tax)!

It is INNATE in man to make Laws. Has he not eaten from the Tree of GOOD and EVIL? He sprouts forth Laws governing GOOD AND EVIL. And what better set of Laws than those given by God? The Temple was the center of the Law. God needed to put a stop to the activities of the ex Jewish Christians. A return to the Law says; "I will establish my own righteousness! CHRIST'S IS WORTHLESS!" A return to the Law says; "I approve my actions before God"! But God shouts from heaven; "I, who I AM, DECLARE ONLY CHRIST'S WORKS AS APPROVED!" Did not the Holy Spirit, through Paul, say; "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace" (Galatians 5:4)!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    Hebrews has plenty to say about it but, admittedly, was written after 50 AD. As for Acts 15, do you think the practice of sacrifice was included in the Judaizers insistence that “It is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses.”(Acts 15:5)

to keep the law of Moses = all of it including sacrifice?
    Are you going on the assumption that when Paul titles a person or persons "Judaizers" he meant messianic Jews/Hebrews ?
    Because "Judaizers" were not messianic Jews, they were Jewish/Hebrew wolves in sheep's clothing.

Messianic Jews received God's sacrificed Lamb, they believed Jesus and abided in Him.
    Judaizers were just folks sneakily taking an opportunity to infiltrate christianity only to expand-(apostatize) their God-proclaimed-Spirit-dead religious works of law.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    So why have the temple destroyed eventually if it was still useful to God in some regards, such as what you brought up here? Once the temple was destroyed, assuming these messianic Jews did continue offering other kinds of sacrifices in it, up until it was destroyed, what then? How did they continue to offer these same other type of sacrifices once the temple no longer remained standing?
    It looks to me that you are taking (part of) my answer out of context to this Thread's question.

So excuse me for not answering a question about what I never implied an answer to.

God bless.

Thread Information