View Poll Results: What Translation do you use for memorization?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESV

2 2.86%
  • HCSB

0 0%
  • NET

0 0%
  • NIV

10 14.29%
  • NKJV

10 14.29%
  • NASB

9 12.86%
  • TNIV

0 0%
  • KJV

24 34.29%
  • Jerusalem Bible

1 1.43%
  • The New Jerusalem Bible

0 0%
  • Complete Jewish Bible

0 0%
  • RSV

1 1.43%
  • NRSV

0 0%
  • NLT

2 2.86%
  • It varies

11 15.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What translation do you prefer to memorize in?

What translation do you prefer to memorize in?

When you are memorizing Scripture, what is your favorite translation to use? Or do you vary?

ESV
    HCSB
    KJV
    NKJV
    NIV
    TNIV
    NRSV
    NASB
    NLT
    NET
    The Jerusalem Bible
    The New Jerusalem Bible
    Complete Jewish Bible
    RSV
    Varies

I guess this might seem strange... I VERY rarely read the KJV, but all of the verses I memorized as a child are from the King James, so when I am remember Bible verses, I remember King James. So, I guess I would still say that I would prefer to memorize the King James version.
    Philippians 3:12-14 I do not say that I have received this or have already become perfect. But I keep going on to make that life my own as Christ Jesus made me His own. No, Christian brothers, I do not have that life yet. But I do one thing. I forget everything that is behind me and look forward to that which is ahead of me. My eyes are on the prize. I want to win the race and get the prize of God's call from heaven through Christ Jesus.

Which is probably why I prefer NKJV.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    Since the only version I own is an NIV then that's what I'd memorize scripture in.

Sigh... yet another reminder I need to put some scripture to memory
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

KJV...'cause I never get any flack quoting Scripture from that translation.
    θεοφιλε

I selected it varies.

Every verse I memorized growing up and in college, I memorized in KJV, so that's what I continue to memorize in when I'm memorizing for my own purposes, (even though I love my NIV).

When our kids were little their Sunday School memory verses were always in NIV, so I relearned a lot of verses in NIV. I didn't really get confused, but I might have to think about which version I was quoting when we'd be reviewing in the car or something.

Then they started AWANA and the handbooks were in NKJV. Between being a leader and working on sections with our kids at home, I relearned a lot of familiar verses in a third version and that pushed me over the edge. Now I often start a verse in one version and switch over midway without even realizing it, so I don't like to quote from memory in a group unless I have to.

My kids say it's because I'm getting old. DH teases that it's because I was getting a little bit too proud of myself. He's joking, but there might be a tiny grain of truth in there.

This isn't really about Bible verses, but other stuff we say in Church is different now. So, I find myself having to read or I end up saying things the "old way". Like the Apostles Creed, I always want to say "the quick and the dead" and other parts that I know by heart in the old way.
    Philippians 3:12-14 I do not say that I have received this or have already become perfect. But I keep going on to make that life my own as Christ Jesus made me His own. No, Christian brothers, I do not have that life yet. But I do one thing. I forget everything that is behind me and look forward to that which is ahead of me. My eyes are on the prize. I want to win the race and get the prize of God's call from heaven through Christ Jesus.

Encouragement to anyone who would like to memorize:

Apart from a handful of verses after I first got saved, I did not start memorizing until August last year and I really believed that I could not do it, as my memory is awful. So if I can do it, anyone can do it ~ by the grace of God!!

Memorizing is like learning a new hobby or a game. At first it's hard and awkward, then pretty soon it gets a lot easier...but you have to stick with it for awhile. I also found it's a lot easier to memorize a passage, because there is context and it flows together.

It only takes five minutes a day to work on a verse or a half a verse. Find a time that you already have a daily habit ~ for example, during your regular Bible reading time or lunch hour. Writing it on an index card and putting it in a pocket or wallet to have handy to refer to when you have a break or are standing in line can also be helpful.

Having an accountibility partner is great asset! That's how we got started ~ a friend and I choose 2 passages we wanted to memorize together. Then we recited them to one another. Our friendship has delightfully grown, as we converse about the scripture we are working on and pray it.

Memorizing passages are particularly rewarding...the Holy Spirit uses the verses to teach you things you never understood before and calls you to action. The words of Jesus are particularly powerful. And you will find you are naturally praying scripture and sharing the Word with others.

Memorizing: It's challenging! It's fun! It's rewarding! It's a blessing!

Soooooo....find yourself a verse or passage you love and get to workin' on it! You'll be thankful that you did! Glory be to God!

"O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:97

If anyone else has tips ~ please post them for us!

River of Eden Guest

Smile

As a child my father would always read from the KJV. I would sit and listen to him read for long periods of time. I have always read from it and I have no problem memorizing from the KJV.

I prefer the KJV if its something I am going to share with others and especialy the psalms and proverbs. Otherwize I use my own Nelson word. its easy to memorize and read, But I am cautious of the wat it is written
    The world wide humour/humor thread
    http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49899

Blog Entries
    If I'm memorizing a verse in one version, it's usually the NIV unless I have good reason to think the NIV badly misses the mark on a verse. My reason is that often when talking to people or teaching, I'll quote paragraphs or sometimes chapters by memory and the NIV is in today's venacular.

Though there are several verses that I have memorized in more than one translation. I have a ton memorized in KJV and NKJV.

Grace & peace,

Joe

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

My problem has been that depending on which era of my life the verse was memorized in it was in a different version. Early on the KJV, but from about 8 to 16 the NKJV, from 16 to 21 the NIV, from 21 to 31 the NASB, and for the last couple years from mostly ESV, but I varied from one to another as I tried to settle on a particular version to use.

In the meantime, I study in mostly NASB, but check a whole lot of different versions, and anymore I have trouble saying almost any verse that I haven't just recently memorized. The old memory gets jumbled up with the recent reading, and I can paraphrase, but it's almost impossible to quote verbatim.

I have found some success in just going back to whatever version I first memorized a passage in and being content with that. But for the future, I've determined to memorize in only ESV, just to maintain consistency.

However, recently I began to doubt the wisdom of that choice, because I know I spend so much time in the NASB.

I've also found that the NASB sticks in my head the easiest, and the NIV is the most difficult to get really stuck in there solidly.

I've been working on Psalm 145 in the NIV because my small group had more NIV readers than anything else, and the Sermon on the Mount in the NASB, because I'm memorizing it with my partner from work.

<throws up hands> oh well, I figure no effort at memorization is energy wasted, but now I have a new urgency as I try to decide what version to have my kids memorize in!!!

I would recomend that you let them memorize a kids version
    The world wide humour/humor thread
    http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49899

I have and use most of the translations listed, so I would say that my memorization varies, depending on what translation I have in my hand. For my kids, I prefer to use either the NLT or the GWT (God's Word Translation).
    I've been gone a long time. Been thru a lot....am a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by literaryjoe
    I've been working on Psalm 145 in the NIV because my small group had more NIV readers than anything else, and the Sermon on the Mount in the NASB, because I'm memorizing it with my partner from work.
    That's wonderful that you have someone at work to memorize with! I've memorized with 3 different people and none of us have ever used the same version. Which in some ways has been nice, because sometimes one verison sheds light on a verse to the other person, when the two of you discuss it. Anyway, lol...what we do when we recite is, we find the other person's version, so we can follow along with one another...therefore we don't have memorize in the same version. It seems to have worked well.

<throws up hands> oh well, I figure no effort at memorization is energy wasted,
    AND

but now I have a new urgency as I try to decide what version to have my kids memorize in!!!
    I agree with Alastair...go with a version that makes sense to them (yet isn't way out there). That way it'll not only be easier for them to memorize, but also easier to apply if they understand what it's saying. Even when they grow up and use another version and mix translations, it's OK, 'cus as you so well said above: "no effort at memorization is energy wasted"!! The Holy Spirit *will* use it all! Ask God for wisdom and He will give it to you!!
    Last edited by Alive-Indeed; Apr 22nd 2006 at 12:58 AM.
    "I am the Good Shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." John 10:14,15 O the deep, deep love of Jesus!

Thread Information