Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Corinthians 11:10

Blog Entries

1 Corinthians 11:10

For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

What does this mean, my comentary relates it to the angels watching the happening of mankind and women showing submission. If thats the case, should we be wearing head covering

Somebody please give some insight. I am tired of not nowing what this means.

1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

What bible version are you using?
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    1 Corinthians 11:10....that's ok....
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Blog Entries
    What bible version are you using?

The one where people type backwards I reckon
    I fixed it.

Here's an old thread that might be helpful.

Cheers
    Leigh

Blog Entries
    Thanks Teitzy, I read a little bit in it, still sorting through it.

Quote Originally Posted by quiet dove View Post
    For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

What does this mean, my comentary relates it to the angels watching the happening of mankind and women showing submission. If thats the case, should we be wearing head covering

It's a reference to the book of Enoch that did not make it into the Bible. It was read by the Jews and the early Christians and considered legit scripture among many. In Enoch the angels lust over women and come down to Earth. Paul is warning women over these angels.

I've been interested in head coverings as of late....not out of any legalistic requirement, just out of a desire to.

I've been desiring more modesty and less worldliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    It's a reference to the book of Enoch that did not make it into the Bible. It was read by the Jews and the early Christians and considered legit scripture among many. In Enoch the angels lust over women and come down to Earth. Paul is warning women over these angels.
    That's interesting. I never knew that.

When ya get that one figured out, will ya figure out verse 14 ?
    It always confused me when it spoke of ...even nature....welllllll, when I look at nature it is always the male that has the longest hair/fur/coat and the most colorful. The female in "nature" is the least.
    Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season

Quote Originally Posted by quiet dove View Post

That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels. (1 Corinthians 11:10 RSV)

What does he mean by that? Unfortunately the RSV editors have obscured this by translating the word Paul uses as veil. But here he changes the word. He does not say "veil on her head" -- literally it is the word "authority." "That is why a woman ought to have authority on her head, because of the angels." Authority to do what?

Surely it is what he has already mentioned, what the whole passage is about: A woman ministering the Word in public. The authority for her to do so is her recognition of the principle of headship. She is to declare that she does not pray or preach apart from her husband, and thus she is to wear a veil which, in that culture, was the sign of such a voluntary partnership.

She is to do so, Paul says, "because of the angels." Now that is somewhat obscure and difficult to interpret, but, in a culture where unveiled women were regarded as idolators and prostitutes, it would be an offense to the angels present in a Christian service for a woman to openly flaunt custom and deny the principle of headship.

Angels, we are told, are "ministering spirits, sent forth to minister to those who are heirs of salvation," Hebrews 1:14 KJV). They were present at creation, and thus understand the principle of headship. Isaiah 6 indicates that they veil their faces when they worship before the throne of God Isaiah 6:2), and so are concerned to preserve the worship of humans from any practice that would deny the distinctives which the sexes are to manifest. In the next two verses Paul balances all this with a strong statement of the equality of men and women in marriage.

punk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Well, the same story occurs briefly in Genesis when the sons of God come down and take wives among the daughters of men producing the giants/nephilim.

But yes, it was a piece of folklore that spirits/angels could lust after human women.

BeOfGoodCourage Guest
    It has been suggested from verse 10, where Paul says that the woman should have authority on her head “because of angels,” that this proves there to be a spiritual and universal basis for the custom of veiling women. But this expression, too, is anything but self-explanatory as to its meaning. Some have felt that Paul would have women cover themselves to avoid offending the holy angels, or of tempting them by the woman’s beauty. In the first case, we might expect Paul to appeal to our need to avoid offending God by inappropriate worship behaviors, rather than offending the angels, whose opinion of us matters infinately less. As for the second suggestion, one must wonder whether a woman’s beauty in a worship service provides more temptation to angels than the same would provide, for instance, when the woman bathes. She certainly does not bathe in a veil. If the angels find mortal women sexually tempting, then one should require women to cover themselves at any time an angel might be present.

Some think that the angels in question are demons, and that a woman without a covering is advertising herself as a rebel against her husband (and hence against God) and setting herself up as a target for demonic attack (compare Prov. 17:11). This is a possibility, but it would still be possible if such were the case, to argue that it is the rebellion, not the absence of a veil, that renders the woman vulnerable. In Corinth, the casting off of the veil would be tantamount to rebellion, whereas this might not necessarily be so in cultures of a different sort.

Yet another possibility is that the “angels” refer to the preachers, or “messengers” (the literal meaning of angeloi ) who address the church. This very word is often used of human messengers. It is used of John the Baptist (Matt. 11:10), of John’s messengers to Jesus (Luke 7:24), of messengers sent ahead of Jesus into Samaria (Luke 9:52), and of the spies sent into Jericho whom Rahab sheltered (James 2:25). Perhaps to avoid distracting and tempting the preachers who faced the congregation, women were expected to cover their faces. If this is Paul’s meaning, then we are concerned with a modesty issue. (I hope I will not be misunderstood if I say that, as a preacher myself, I can see a value in such a custom).

Author, Steve Gregg
    www.TheNarrowPath.com

Quote Originally Posted by punk View Post
    Well, the same story occurs briefly in Genesis when the sons of God come down and take wives among the daughters of men producing the giants/nephilim.

But yes, it was a piece of folklore that spirits/angels could lust after human women.
    How is it "folklore" if it is in the Bible (Genesis and 1 Corinthians)?

I don't want to take this thread off in another direction, but on the issue of modesty, I started attending a holiness church where the women all wear dresses and the men all wear suits.

The first time I attended, I wore a short-sleeved top and a long, flowing skirt. I was about 1/2 way through the service when I realized I was the only one in the room who had short sleeves! I never in my wild dreams thought I would ever feel under dressed in short sleeves and a long skirt!

But truthfully, it felt nice having a standard of modesty within the church. And I also had to dig deep within myself to admit that I had in the past gone out of my way to look "attractive" when attending church. It was a very rude awakening for me. I'm embarrassed to even admit that, but it's the truth.

I bought a simple white sweater to wear over my clothes now.....it certainly keeps me from looking in any way sexual/attractive, etc. And I've stopped wearing makeup also. What reason do I need to wear makeup to church? Does God care what's on my face?

I admit, it was such a joy going to church with the Lord as my sole focus and purpose and not worrying about what other people thought, or being concerned with how I looked to others.

Thread Information